IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harried.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7350 4 years ago

I got mine for a very very decent price and it has been shopped al the way. I always wanted a TZ and is my number one pin and now I got a gem.
Some pics of the restauration: (i added the third magnet myself by the way).

TZ022 (resized).jpgTZ022 (resized).jpgTZ023 (resized).jpgTZ023 (resized).jpgTZ028 (resized).jpgTZ028 (resized).jpgTZ029 (resized).jpgTZ029 (resized).jpgTZ039 (resized).jpgTZ039 (resized).jpgTZ040 (resized).jpgTZ040 (resized).jpgTZ041 (resized).jpgTZ041 (resized).jpgTZ054 (resized).jpgTZ054 (resized).jpgTZ055 (resized).jpgTZ055 (resized).jpgTZ056 (resized).jpgTZ056 (resized).jpgTZ057 (resized).jpgTZ057 (resized).jpgTZ058 (resized).jpgTZ058 (resized).jpgTZ059 (resized).jpgTZ059 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#7452 4 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

Does any one have cabinet decals I want to restore my cabinet. And don’t want to spend 250 for decals

I can ship for $249

1 month later
#7606 4 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

Mine are pretty simple.
[quoted image]

Great thinking! Love those

#7607 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Anyone with a 3rd magnet in their TZ have problems with the multiball staging? I’ve got one that just seems to do nothing no matter what. All optos and magnets verified working and the 3rd magnet MB staging setting is set to ON in the home rom.

I thought you also need to play the powerball mania so the machine knows the powerball is in the gumball machine.

1 week later
#7654 4 years ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

Have owned my TZ for 19+ years and installed a 1st gen graphic on my back board that has now faded 10+ years later. Had to remove the back board to get to the gumball machine and thought now was the time to address the faded graphic. Was wondering if replacing it with a mirror blade type material might be better than a graphic. Does anyone make such a product? or know where I could get mylar like material to fashion my own version?
Thanks for the info,
Al[quoted image]

That topper is waaaaay too much.

3 months later
#8153 4 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Well, I joined the club as of this Saturday. Will post pix soon.
It was a high-end restore. Restored cabinet with new decals and a cleared new playfield. The playfield is far better than those of modern pins. Looks like a sheet of glass. My only effort was to fix the clock. Took a couple of days, but it's fully working now. I will post a separate post on that effort to help others in the future.
Wanted to get folks opinion on a few mods I want to do:
1. Vote for Pinsound? I'm really going to do, just wondering what speakers you recommend. FF? Pinsounds speakers?
2. I want external volume control. Recommend pinnovator volume control with Pinsound? Does it work correctly? I'm referring to the one that goes in the door.
3. Color DMD. Yes. Just curious if you prefer setup for smooth LCD or dot matrix look?
4. Vote for LED OCD? Seems mixed on this thread.
5. Magnet for ramp "catcher." whatever you call it. Seems like an easy inexpensive mod to keep ball from ricocheting off the ball "catcher."
6. Some form of a non-glare glass. PDI or maybe just Voodoo. Thoughts? Preferences?
Those are the key upgrades I want to do. After I get these key upgrades, then might look into some of the other mods.
Thanks for your advice and tips in advance.

1. Sure, a little bit of fidling around though so allow yourself to invest some time in it. I always disliked the sound on TZ, so sad DCS sound only came in the next generation of pinball machines. TZ could have benefit from that. I always put a woofer in the cabinet (JBL Stage 810) and some kind of speaker setup in the backbox. For my TZ I added a full range 5.25" speaker on the left side and a tweeter on the right side. It improves the sound but isn't super convincing unfortunately.
2. Personally I don't often change the volume settings on my machines and have no experience with pinnovator.
3. For sure, I like it smooth though. I added the SmartDMD option and put it to black/white. Cheap setup with a great output. I will replace it with a color dmd in the future.
4. No experience with that one.
5. YEAH!!!! For sure. It's an expensive mod and gets the job done. Simple and easy. The only downside is that the powerball isn't affected by the magnet and now "stands out" from the steel balls.
6. YEAH!!!! No brainer in my book.

Twilight zone is one of those pins that really benefits from adding mods to it. But don't overdo it! I added the following items:
- third magnet (I was clearcoating and touching up the playfield anyway so that third magnet was mandatory)
- Slot machine mod
- Gumball lighting
- Yellow convolux beneath de slingshot and outlane plastics
- Backboard decal
- Television mod
- Camera mod (needs to be mounted though)
- Trough lighting
- v9.4H rom
- Battery mod
- Sound system (as discussed)
- Upper playfield lamp cover
- Leds in the clock
- Leds all over the playfield, GI and backbox. Color coded at some places to highlight certain areas in a moderate way so it doesn't become a complete colorfest
- Illuminated transparent flipper buttons
- Transparant silicone rubbers

In planning to do at a later time:
- SmartDMD to be replaced by a color DMD
- Piano mod
- Camera mod (I got the camera's from Ebay for like 1.29 dollars each, they need to be modified so they fit in the machine)

Hope this helps, enjoy that great machine!

1 month later
#8523 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's my true question. Sounds like alkalines yearly makes TZ a happy game.
Think I'll be updating my maintenance logs for all my games. NVRAM in some...
How long do the "watch" batteries last? Prudent to change those yearly too?

2 years approximately. I change them every year on the first week of January. Machine switched on of course.

#8524 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

1st: what is your credit dot?
2nd: Unable to seen what you were doing, but being bent over like that, it's possible something just held down the start button for 2 seconds, restarting the game.

1. credit dot. In display an extra dot is being displayed when something is wrong with the machine (switch is not getting activated for a long time for instance). An operator can now see if a problem is with that machine without switching it off and on again.
You will also get that "dong dong dong" sound when you switch on the machine but with several machines on the floor it's not always obvious which machine is broken

(Although a pinball machine is always "only temporarily fixed")

2. Version 9.4H provides that "feature" out of the box. Now you want to disable that if your lovely kids decide to press that button once you're lost in the zone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.50
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harried.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=harried and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.