IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gjm7777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5924 5 years ago

Well I'm finally in the club, sadly it hasn't been a week and problems are rearing their head....

How power hungry is this game compared to most? I have TZ, BoP, MM-Remake, and Shadow on one circuit in my room but now the dreaded reboots have started.

Here is the breakdown and what I've done

1. This morning I decided to put in the 9.4H rom, powered on only TZ and I noticed that the game was now rebooting when I hit both flippers at the same time.
2. All diodes measure fine across all 4 flippers
3. It looks as if someone has done the BR2 fix
4. I reseated every connector (in backbox and in cabinet) to no avail
5. Ensured all ground screws were tightened down fully (the were not, and some were completely missing)
6. Tried putting the game on an extension cable to a GFI outlet in the garage - totally separate circuit

Still resetting...

I decided to pull and reflow most everything on the power board , sadly this didn't seem to help at all so I moved on to

1.tested wall outlet shows above 115v at all times
2.tested service outlet while on and off - both read above 115v
3.I tested TP2 area and get 5v
4. I test/measure leg 32 on the game ROM - BOOM instant reset

So I decided to pull the CPU board, and there were a bunch of cold joints everywhere including most U areas and CPU

1. I reflowed everything that needed it and most for good measure, especially near leg 32 (solder side)

This appeared to have fixed the reset issue with the game - I can now play for hours and double flipping works fine. I swear after all of this I now notice "blinking/flickering" every time I flip on my games (all LED)

The bad news.....
Now I decide to turn on my other games - they all work fine except Shadow decides to do the same thing (both flippers cause a reset) but ONLY if TZ is on. TZ also reset once while Shadow was being played.

My only guess is that...
1. TZ is way more power hungry than most games and this is normal (I'll need to figure out a way to break them up)
2. Shadow has also developed the "reset" issue for different reasons

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just pretty frustrated at this point as the games were all fine while being on and played for most of the week and this all started today.

#5928 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice and feedback guys I really appreciate it.

Coyote , I can check L1 when I have some time later, Not sure where that location is off the top of my head but I'm a bit spooked to test as last time testing the ROM leg 32, the game decided to restart on me the second I touched it (could have been the main issue all along of course since the ROM swap seemed to coincide with the restarts)

I also talked to my wife and she said a few days ago she noticed the AC unit (outside our house not on the same circuit) struggled to kick on (she heard some buzzing as it was initiating) and a few of the pins restarted as a result. I'm not surprised that happened given the draw, but now I'm wondering if that incident exacerbated the reset issues I'm seeing on these two games now...

#5945 5 years ago

Hi all,

So I have a TV mod that came with my TZ and I decided to install it last night.

Model of the keychain is here
https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-DKEYBK10/9376267

Guide that was followed here
http://www.edcheung.com/album/album08/pinball/tz2.htm

I did not leave the battery in the mod because to be quite honest 1. I think it was dead and 2. I don't like the risk of overcharging it

Everything works great except for the fact it doesn't respect the "Auto Off" settings. I don't want it to ever turn off however it does after 5 minutes, no matter if I set it for 0 minutes or 30 minutes.

It's a shame as the mod works great but I can't be pulling the glass and hitting the power button every 5 minutes. Has anyone else with this mod had this issue?

Thanks

#5947 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

More
Might want to try it with the battery installed

I was afraid someone would say that
The sad part was this keychain was new in the box, but it would not hold a charge even after 4+ hours so I figured why bother. Perhaps the software/firmware does a detection and still wants to see it inline somehow?

1 week later
#5975 5 years ago

One thing that seems common in many of the playfield pics I see of this game, the inserts on the door panel, and for the black squares underneath, they appear to be raised, almost looking like a decal sticker - is this common? I'm not sure how they did it back in the day during production, say lay those down and then shoot clear over them for instance.

#5978 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Artwork gives it a 3D effect but it's all flat and under clear.

Thanks, I should have described it better - it basically looks like a mylar sticker (you can see the clear edges almost like a die cut)
I'm wondering if inserts can raise up causing this effect or if it's more the decal was layered then cleared. I know people also sell mylar laminated insert decals as well so just curious how it looked stock from the factory.

Some examples here
http://kcpins.com/archives/856

11 months later
#7155 4 years ago

Chip pullers can be a total pain and most of the time the cheap ones will result in bent or broken rom pins.
IF you decide to go small screwdriver route be very careful not to put the head of the screwdriver in too deep, you will end up scratching, damaging or ruining traces.

2 months later
#7341 4 years ago

Could anyone with a working interlock/coin door switch be able to check the wiring?

My switch was heavily damaged when I received the game, and I've bought a replacement - but it never gives me the warning message.

I'm running the 9.4H rom, but I'd think that wouldnt matter.

I'm running the green/brown wire to the top ON pin, and the white/red to the bottom COM pin.

Thanks in advance

#7343 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

TZ's firmware never gave the Interlock Warning message. You're fine.

Ah good to know, thanks!
Dumb question, but is there a way to tell without melting my face off?

#7348 4 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Ah good to know, thanks!
Dumb question, but is there a way to tell without melting my face off?

Reason I ask, the flippers still function with the coin door open.

#7351 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not really a 'feature', but.. TZ was the first game to have the interlock, and the idea for the warning message hadn't come to fruition yet. Ted didn't add it in v9.4H, (I believe, if memory serves me right), because he didn't want to waste the ROM space for adding something none of us would really need.

Thanks for that!
Forgive me for being dense here - so it's normal that the flippers/high voltage work with the coin door open then? I guess I'm trying to understand if the switch even does anything.

#7353 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Tells the game if the coin door is closed?

Right, but from what I can tell - the game does nothing with that information, everything works.

#7357 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

There's two switches on later TZ games. Only one on earler TZ games.
One is the Coin Door Open switch. That one disables the service switches when the door is closed, to prevent theft in case someone sticks a metal piece in to try and earn credits. On later games, this swithc also causes the display of the "Coin Door Open" warning messages telling you high voltage is off.
The second, which was added in TZ and then in all (most?) games afterwards, just cut the +50v and +20v feeds. The MPU does not watch this switch at all, even though it's the one that really causes the power break.

Thanks again.
I guess I have an older version as there is only the one switch (and based on the wiring and lack of messages) it must be the coin door. Next time I have the playfield up, I'll test the service switches.

3 months later
#7697 4 years ago

I've seen some pics where people have changed the lower inserts above the flippers to appear lime green instead of the yellow - any idea how this is accomplished? I'm guessing 3 or 4SMD Clear blue bulbs?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.50
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gjm7777.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=gjm7777 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.