image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dw3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5948 5 years ago

So, I haven't found anything too solid on this - some ideas here and there - but what I was wondering is what the best LED setup for a person who doesn't want the machine to *look* like LEDs would be...?

I like keeping my TZ stock. I don't have any toys or stuff glued anywhere, no blades or backboard, and I like the original look of the incandescent bulbs. I'm not entirely convinced I'd go LED, but there is a part of me that's interested in reducing the machine's power consumption and heat, while also not having to worry about replacing hard-to-access bulbs (or really any bulbs) again.

If I go this route, I'd be getting an LED-OCD and a GI-OCD and likely do it during my upcoming playfield swap.

Like, I know how to make it look like it obviously DOES have LEDs and how to make it look bright and intense and the way I don't want it to look -- but if I'm going for the stock look, what are some good options and things to avoid? I'd likely go with Comet LEDs, warm white - mayyyybe some sunlight in the backbox since my translite is already coming across fairly yellow/warm with the incandescents (I've put some GE 545 blinkers in the backbox and they aren't *quite* as yellow as the Eiko #555 bulbs, so that's what gave me that idea).

Is it best to just throw warm white pretty much everywhere if I want a stock look? Frosted? Should I be color matching some of the inserts/door panels or the piano/gumball/spiral rubbered lights for the best look? If I go LED, I ultimately want it to look pretty much like a stock machine with standard bulbs, so no cool-white or purple/blue/color-change anywhere.

Mostly, I'm hoping that someone has done this and has some tips or even some photos. I've seen a lot of photos of LED'd TZ machines, but not too many showing the natural look, and fewer still showing what a person went through to acheive it. Worst case scenario, I'm also perfectly fine leaving it incandescent unless it can be made to look really close - I'm already rebuilding a lot of the wear-parts and mechs, so my wallet wouldn't mind that option either.

#5961 5 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Im super confused about flasher bulbs on this game. Are there none in the backbox? My game was missing bulbs in all the black sockets in the backbox so I assumed those were flashers. When I put bulbs in they are locked on. I am flipping through tha manual and do not see mention of flashers in the back box. They are on the same line with regular GI bulbs. So am I missing something

Yeah not actual flashers, they’re #545 bulbs: self-blinking bulbs shaped just like regular #555 bulbs. As they warm up, they twinkle off and on - electrically, if you don’t miss the blinking effect or care, you’re okay just using standard #555 bulbs in the black sockets, too.

There are some led replacements that self-blink - and now (for the first time in forever) there’s one liquidator on eBay who’s selling original ones in both 10 and 100-packs. I think pinball life also sells incandescent ones for around $1.50-$2.00 / bulb also.

Flashers won’t work correctly there, though. Stick with either regular bulbs or blinkers.

#5969 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

More
To keep it stock looking, simply use warm white bulbs, and use clear domed bulbs where lights are visible. Use the bulb condoms instead of colored LEDs on the signs, etc.
LED OCD is a must. I use warm white frosted from cointaker, and use dual flex head for larger inserts. I use their clear dome retros anywhere a bulb is visible.
You can see how my game looks in this video

Do you have any kind of pic of what the clear-dome lights look like installed and lit? I was trying to see in that video, but wasn't really catching it much. Also, you don't notice those clear-dome to be too harsh or directional and less diffused than even a clear incandescent?

Everything looks great there, and yeah the LED-OCD is definitely a must-have. I wouldn't even be considering this otherwise.

#5970 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

More
Best thing to do is buy some sample warm and sunlight bulbs with different lenses and see what looks good. I would stick with 1smd bulbs unless you want something brighter the 2smd. I used sunlight bulbs in my Congo and like the results. It's a warmer white without being too yellow. For inserts, color match for richer color except yellow and orange. Those look better with warm white bulbs. I use clear lens for all except where bulb visisble then frosted. Not exactly stock looking but much easier on the eyes. I also like using the flex heads to light inserts where the bulb is not centered well. For large inserts, I might use a 2smd bulb or even a 2smd flex. That said, I like my games on the bright side like newer games. Keep the stock flashers. LED ones are very bright and stock works fine.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

I wanted the same and went with mostly all warm white frosted. Frosted helps diffuse the brighter bulbs and looks better to me, even under inserts. I did color match red and added led flashers. The led flashers are awesome as I do like them brighter.

Yeah, I'm not completely opposed to using frosted for visible bulbs.. might be preferable to the feeling of having laserpointers hitting me from under the inlane-guides and slings or the pop bumpers haha.

And really as for color matching, when I think about it almost every insert is white, orange and yellow anyways which cuts down on that. Aside from six or seven red inserts, all of them should be white bulbs as it is.

Do either of you have any photos showing how it turned out?

#5974 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

As stated, pics won't help. My suggestion is to buy a small quantity of various white bulbs.

Yeah true, I’d been meaning more a general photo of the game lit but I get what you mean - you’re right, if it’s doing it’s job at looking like incandescent it’ll just look like a photo of a pinball machine. That video I got in a reply post helped clear up a lot though, showing it’s not as directional and spotlight-y like it had been a few years back. I figure it’s about even now, tough to tell the difference which is good.

A few years back I wouldn’t have even considered LEDs since the look was cold and everyone was accenting colors everywhere and it was awful. Now it’s pretty much identical to original, if a guy wants it to be.

Basically I’ll grab a dozen or so of both warm and sunlight and a couple other one-offs and just pop em in around the game and see for myself, since yeah that’s really the only way to actually know.

1 month later
#6044 5 years ago

Hey, I have a question: what’s the best way to remove the original decal from the clock face?

I have a replacement decal I’d bought a while ago, and just replaced the clock board with Ingo’s board and during that process, I noticed that the original decal had seen better days.

Freeze spray? Scraping it off with a plastic blade? Or just peeling it off and Goo-Gone’ing the glue that’s left over.. ? I was gonna just give it a go with the third option but thought I’d check in here first just to see.

#6047 5 years ago
Quoted from Duvall:

Perhaps just order a replacement lens? Pinball Life has them for $3.50.

That's the front lens that seals the clock up, rather than the face where the decal is placed. The face that the decal is on has a notch on each side for the optos and four standoffs/spacers, one on each corner. I honestly haven't seen anyone really offering the face for sale for a while.

#6049 5 years ago
Quoted from Duvall:

My bad. Surely someone has a replacement.

Oh I’m sure I could hunt one down somehow if need be, but mine looks fine aside from just the decal itself..

I was just curious about others’ experience with the best way to remove the existing decal/glue from the part while minimizing any potential damage to the clear plastic itself, and then just redecaling.

1 month later
#6265 5 years ago

I have a couple questions about fasteners sizes/types/etc, and hope someone knows the answers..

First, what fastener/config is used to attach the right ramp to the powerfield? This is right after the bridge diverter as the wireform leads onto the mini-of. Mine just has the hole but nothing there to hold it, so not sure of screw size/type/length, and what’s on the underside also.

Also, what screw size and length are those mini Philips screws that attach ramp flaps to the main playfield?

#6271 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's just a machine screw... look at the manual for specs possibly or just fit one. It sits recessed in the hole and just threads into the wireform itself if memory serves. Probably a 32 thread count screw.. maybe a #8

Yeah that’s one I can’t track down in the manual - doesnt seem to list in either the handbook, manual, or grey parts catalog.

I’m also curious if it has an integrated star/lock washer in the fastener, too..

#6291 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

my buy in button is not lighting up. i changed the diode 1N004 and kept the polarity with the cathode end connected to the red/purple wire. when i stick an led in it the bulb barely lights up (i measure about 2 volts across the outlet) if i measure the voltage behind the diode it is measuring about 7 volts. any ideas? I resoldered the wires in case it was a bad solder joint but to no avail...

Have you also tried just a standard incandescent #555 bulb to test if that lights at all?

2 months later
#6623 5 years ago

Is there anything to look for on the skill-shot scoop that might make a person want to replace it? Say, if my welds are undamaged, there’s no reason to upgrade it, is there?

Reason being, I’m going to do an order from Mantis and figured if this is something to look into I might as well add it and only pay shipping once.

I can’t see that this scoop would take much damage generally, so figured I’d check if this is something preventative to get, or only needed if the original is trashed.

#6625 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Never hurts to have spare parts but I wouldn't replace it if functioning properly and looks good.

Yeah that’s kinda what I was figuring. I’m looking to start on a full restoration in the near future so it’s parts-buying time. And shipping to Canada is way too expensive, so you kinda want to get everything ordered right the first time.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some weak point on that scoop that I’d totally missed hearing about.

#6630 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

skill shot? that one does not break, slot machine is problematic. Mantis has a replacement for that one. is that what your talking about? Swap it if its broken. If its not, no reason to swap it. In home use you probably won't play enough to break it.

Nope, definitely was asking about the skill shot - Mantis makes both. That’s kinda what had me guessing, I know the damage the slot can take so I understand a stronger slot scoop, I just wondered if I’d missed some sort of common knowledge about the other one failing in some way too.

The fact that a replacement is available at all mostly had me wondering if my skill scoop had its days numbered, even though it’s currently fine.

I’ll take it off and give it an inspection, but looks like I’m probably fine not ordering this. I honestly can’t see how a person *could* break that scoop.

#6656 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Any thoughts to what could be causing the ball when launch to hit wire ball trail in middle of Playfield?

Was it happening before the pf protector? I could see the ball potentially skipping as it hits the edge of it coming out of the rocket and getting some air. Or that the ball is being held up too high because of the protector and now the kicker hits the ball lower-down and launches it airborne.

Does it do it when it’s aimed differently? Say, when you aim it all the way left and test it at a handful of points ending at the extreme right aiming, is there a point where airballs begin or does it happen through the full range from left to right?

#6662 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Someone replaced PF and it’s not protected

The replacement definitely has a clearcoat on it. Unless he made it himself somehow

#6665 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Lobbing balls from launcher is this typical, meaning ball doesn't stay on PF

Never had that happen on mine no matter how it’s been adjusted. I do think that the pf protector is adding enough height that it’s hitting down low and almost “flicking” the ball airborne a bit, or the ball is skipping if it’s hitting the edge of the protector. Either that or the kicker mech is loose underneath somehow and the slop is introducing some weird angle..

Otherwise, it’s the same mechanism as the auto-plunger, and the auto plunger never air-balls either.

2 months later
#6812 5 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

There is a pin or something that I still need that goes in the diverter itself. Not sure what it looks like or the part number. Anywhere to get it?

You’re looking for part# 02-4837 and a couple 1/8” e-clips for it. Marco and a few others (I think?) have it for a buck or two.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4837

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=02-4837

Hopefully you’re lucky enough to still need to order something from a place that has it.

But if you’re otherwise going to get hit with $15 shipping on a $1.50 part, let me know - I might have ordered a spare and if I’m right about that, I could drop it in the mail for you. I’m all too familiar with the horrible USA>Canada shipping rates (which is probably why I bought a spare haha).

The e-clips are just standard 1/8” ones you can get at any hardware store. Nothing special about those, thankfully.

#6818 5 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

That would be awesome if you have a spare. If not I will have to order one. Thanks!

I know I at least have my original hinge pin, and I think also a new unused one. There wasn’t anything wrong with my original aside from a bit of wear, but I ordered a new one along with the new diverter since I figured I might as well replace everything at once. I’m almost positive I ordered a couple of them and I can’t see myself needing a second new spare any time soon though.

I’ll take a look probably tonight and see what’s there. Only reason I say “probably tonight” is we’re getting a new puppy today so I imagine I should have a chance to look, but we’ll see what the new puppy decides

Take a look at the “Bally Grey Parts Manual” on Planetary Pinball, and/or also I think the Service Bulletin Update for TZ (on ipdb?) - it has the missing illustration/parts list for the diverter listed in it that wasn’t in the manual to make sure you have everything else.

#6825 5 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

Thanks. Looked at the manual and looks like I have everything but the hinge pin.

I dropped the hinge pin in the mail today and made it before the mail pickup cutoff, so hopefully it doesn’t take 9 days to get an envelope from Saskatchewan to Ontario! I think they estimated 4 business days so it should make it in plenty of time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 9.95
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dw3000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=dw3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.