IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

4 years later
#5695 6 years ago

Really digging having this game in the collection and being in this club now.

79EAC497-D7F2-4861-84C3-A9F0C1BDC67D (resized).jpeg79EAC497-D7F2-4861-84C3-A9F0C1BDC67D (resized).jpeg

1 year later
#8147 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses gang. I’ll keep my regular translite in place.

1 month later
#8498 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I don't visit this thread as much as I should (game has been solid for some time), but calling out to all TZ faithful to overcome the mighty MM w your votes:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-4-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition
No remakes, IPDB #1 forever until recently.....vote!!!! fun way to take our minds off the obvious for a moment.....

Yep, I was coming in here to say the same thing. Let’s hope TZ can close the gap, it’s not very far apart now.

1 month later
#8688 3 years ago

I’ve got my game fully working, playing great, and looking great. Gosh there are so many mods to pick from, more even then Tron. I just bought the piano mod and the mirrored blue clock casing tonight, not sure what other mods I’ll add along the way

089E4B94-65A6-4A95-B8DA-12F927CEB5E6 (resized).jpeg089E4B94-65A6-4A95-B8DA-12F927CEB5E6 (resized).jpeg

#8694 3 years ago
Quoted from MLmotorsport:

Are those pinstadiums?

Yes, I only have them on two games - TZ and Metallica. They are really nice on TZ.

Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

My Twilight Zone has about 3k of mods/boards/upgrades. I put all the updates/mods and some that I don't have in a doc. It's still a rough draft but pm if you want a link to it. I didn't want to add the link here because it's not final and not sure how long I'll keep it in google drive.

Wow! You have basically every mod I’ve seen for sale! I thought the two robots were kind of mutually exclusive, but they look great together.

The pyramid was a mod I was very interested in but the eyeball on it looked a little out of place to me. The rocket also looks really great but I worry that it impedes clear vision. What’s your opinion on those two mods? Also, on your mini playfield, what happened to the switch casings? They look like they have disappeared. Is that some type of mod?

1 year later
#10376 2 years ago

So, I’m thinking of putting radicals on my TZ. Any thoughts on how this product looks on a TZ? Is it a significant improvement if you do not have a great deal of fade?

Still thinking of putting in the Pinsound board as well. I wish it just had an upgraded version of the original music of the machine upgraded and improved with more depth and what not. Interested in testing different packages though, is there a clear leader?

#10380 2 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

As for PinSound, the DCS Granner mix is out there and different, the Re-orchestration has a higher fidelity. If you want stereo then wiring & speakers will need to be changed

Do they have a guide of some kind for the changes needed for stereo sound and is it worth doing for TZ? How good is the re-orchestration?

1 month later
#10810 2 years ago

Help needed:

In my regular multiball, when my machine drains the first two balls my flippers die and then the last ball that should be still be in play drains.

I changed the drain trough switch to a brand new one. I’m not sure what else it could possible be, all switches are working. It’s like the machine just loses track and thinks an extra ball drained.

I use the home rom. I just turned off the Litz cheat on the home rom, it didn’t do it after I turned it off…but then I turned it on and it worked fine again…so it was just random. I can’t imagine what is the issue and I’m still testing and sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn’t. Thoughts? Gremlin?

Thanks.

#10812 2 years ago

Here is a photo of it, I think I’m missing the wire form that stops the balls from rolling back. I ordered a part from Marco, we will see if that is the issue. 07CC55EA-B40C-4284-BEBC-02513DCE23B6 (resized).jpeg07CC55EA-B40C-4284-BEBC-02513DCE23B6 (resized).jpeg

#10816 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or hit twice with ball bouncing back because of missing wireform.

This is what I think. I changed out the 17 yesterday and it didn’t fix it. I will report back once I have the wireform in from Marco. I really hope that’s it.

#10819 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No, it won't -
The game will START bonus countdown when the ball hits the trough switch. However, the game will not kill the flippers until a trough switch is closed for about a second to indicate there is really a ball (the correct number of balls) are in the trough.
If the wireform is gone, the ball will bounce back to the outhole. In NORMAL game - not multiball - it'll start the bonus countdown but not kill flippers. If, after ~15seconds, the trough switch is not seen as being closed for the ~1 second, the game will display the score and act like the ball is still in play until the trough switch is closed. This is to prevent the game ending with an intermittent issue with the trough switch.
In Multiball, with one ball back still out in the playfield, if the ball bounces out of the trough back into the outhole, it just won't end multiball until that debounce of ~1sec is seen on the trough switch.

Hmm, this is certainly worrisome. I was really optimistic I found the issue and this part from Marco would address it. I’ll give the #17 another look. I’ll report back.

#10823 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Good luck.. I've have a lot of trough issues with my TZ since the mid-90's, and with Ted's help back when he was doing 9.4H, learned a lot about how (and why) the code handles ball trough switches. To this day, I will still have issues - I even have my little wire gate in place, and somehow I get bounce-outs from the trough into the outhole.

I really appreciate any advice. My TZ is really very nice, but this issue has plagued it for about a year or so and has gotten steadily worse. Now it is basically 80% of the time when in multiball.

1 month later
#11251 2 years ago

Are there any truly high end toppers for TZ available?

One based on the Tower of Terror ride would be awesome, but we are open to any high end topper. One that did something right when powered up would be super cool.

#11271 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Chris Granner is a wonderful musician and his work here is the best I've ever heard in a pinball machine from any manufacturer. He's groovy. He's jazzy. He's so talented! Oh, and you get multiple compositions for the same mode, depending on whether you reach the mode before or after LITZ. (Fast-Lock is a great example.) GREAT sound effects, too! (Tallying Hitchhiker pickups is one heck of a sound!)

I wish we could get his work in high quality stereo. I wish they would do a full high quality restoration for pinsound with stereo compatibility.

#11280 2 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

There is only one, and it’s unobtanium. But you’re in luck, one just popped up for sale yesterday. Wish I had the cash for it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-igt-slot-machine-topper-1

Talk about unobtanium. I’ve been hunting for this since your post. I have two friends that refurbish slot machines, I figured one of them would have one…nope. Shame too, that is an incredible topper.

#11285 2 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

Ah, that sucks man. You would think with how many TZ out there, and the popularity of toppers these days, someone would make one similar to that one or the discontinued Tilt Topper. Those are by far the best ones. Until that happens TZ will be my only game without a topper. And that bothers me.

Maybe the guy that is doing all those incredible mods for GnR will do a topper for TZ. I’m surprised TZ didn’t have a factory topper, guess they had to cut costs somewhere.

1 week later
#11378 2 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Any good topper options out there? A friend of mine has the tilt one with the door in the middle that is awesome but he can’t make them any longer from license…bummer I missed it.

I’m finding nothing. That IGT slot topper is the best I’ve seen and I can’t find one available any where.

#11384 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I don't know if you've seen this one already:
https://www.ecflipp.fr/fr/pedretti-special/4379-topper-twilight-zone.html
it's a french website but currently out of stock. It seems like it has been released not so long ago.

That one is pretty cool. I’m hoping someone does an over the top interactive one though.

8 months later
#12286 1 year ago

Any of you upgrade to this speaker set: https://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-wpc-89-speaker-kit/

Is it worth the $200? Is it really a noticeable difference in sound quality? I wish there was an easy way to make this game stereo quality.

#12291 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I'm running that setup. The speakers are considerably better and the bass is impressive but it doesn't change the fact that the audio track on TZ is kind of crappy. Crappy audio in = crappy audio out. That being said it does make the sound files that are there the best they can be. My OEM speakers were getting tired so it was worth it for me.

Yea, this was about what I figured the answer would be. Any way anyone could ever remaster audio in? A pipe dream I’m sure sadly.

#12292 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I'm running that setup. The speakers are considerably better and the bass is impressive but it doesn't change the fact that the audio track on TZ is kind of crappy. Crappy audio in = crappy audio out. That being said it does make the sound files that are there the best they can be. My OEM speakers were getting tired so it was worth it for me

Did you go with the upgraded sub also?

#12295 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Pinsound is your best option for this. Allows true stereo with rewired speakers and you can edit or change all of the audio files.

They should make a kit…specific to this game, people would buy it.

#12314 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

You could get lucky (like me) and find a TZ topper that came off a IGT TZ slot machine. Very hard to find as I spent many years looking before I found mine. I do have a second one, but is missing the computer board that runs the light show that I would sell if interested.

That is by far the best TZ topper. I tried to find one for about a year and I have a lot of gaming industry friends…some that even refurbish old machines…no dice, the thing is unobtainium at this time.

I’m surprised I one has made a true high end topper for this machine. The game simply calls out for one.

#12319 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

In googling around, this one caught my eye as well:

Holy smokes! That topper is incredible. A agree with ray-dude as well, this one could be made at home fairly easily enough if the plastics were made.

1 year later
#14722 4 months ago

I think it is time for me to replace the switches on my TZ as they are aged and I keep getting phantom ball locks during the game. Also, even when the game is not being played I’m occasionally getting odd clicks out of the ball lock area that I can’t explain so I’m guessing it is a switch issue.

Anyway, does anyone have a complete list of all the switches I need to order for TZ?

Thank you in advance.

#14724 4 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Those are optos, not microswitches. You likely have a bad cap on the opto board (which has come up a LOT this year), or, the optos are dirty.

Ah, that’s a good thought. I’ll check that out.

#14727 4 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Those are optos, not microswitches. You likely have a bad cap on the opto board (which has come up a LOT this year), or, the optos are dirty.

Is the best thing to do for me to have board recapped? Maybe replace the board outright? What are the recommendations and what parts should I buy?

This is a new issue for me and I deeply appreciate the assistance. Thanks.

#14738 4 months ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Thats the exact symptoms I was getting with my game and it was the opto board. The Cap leaked and fried the traces, I replaced the cap but my board was toast for my skill levels to diagnose and fix so I bought a new opto board.
Also please check the clock motor board as it has the same cap which only a few months earlier blew taking out that board too.
I think the service life of these caps has been reached, I'd recommend looking into recapping these 2 boards even if you're not exhibiting issues yet.

So it is the opto board and the clock motor board that I for sure need to replace (I’ll bring my existing boards to TPF to get them recapped). Any other boards? Thanks!

#14744 4 months ago

Any recommendations on where to buy the boards I need? Also, which all boards do I need beyond the opto board? I don’t mind having spares, I’ll never be selling my TZ.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.