IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purdue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10227 3 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Shameless plug here for the Marco part. I invented it. Hundreds in operation. If you want that clock face to pop, 12 LEDs is the only way. It'll match the translite clock.

Sorry for the entry level questions to follow. I have an incredibly unmolested near mint tz. The only issue is after an hour or so of being on the clock will start to run and won’t stop. (I am assuming this is the incandescent heat inside the clock housing that i’m trying to educate myself on).

Is this the kit you are referencing? Seems like it’s what i need to take care of my issue. It’s says 20 min install, what’s involved? Anywhere i can ready up on the process before i get in over my head? Any other parts i need to completely fix? I’m not looking for mods, just reliability. Thanks in advance!

2 months later
#10606 2 years ago

Anybody have an tips for cleaning the bottom side? Subways/scoop etc.

How much disassembly required? Anything to watch out for?

4 weeks later
#10956 2 years ago

My clock will start to spin continuously after the machine has been on for about an hour.

It has been suggested to me the that "Likely, the large motor-transistor on the motor driver board is overheating, and going bad." - Coyote

Would anyone care to help me locate and diagnose this issue. Where is the board itself, how to (or can i) check the transistor. Is the repair something I can do without burning up the board... etc. Aftermarket board a better option?

Thanks!

#10959 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Don't think there are any aftermarket boards? If there are, be interesting to see who offers them.
Anyways, schematics for the board is on page 3-22, "DC Motor Control Assy", and parts are on 2-15. It's mounted on the underside of the playfield, back right area.

Awesome, thank you!

#10975 2 years ago

Hello, i was wondering if anybody has used pop bumper LED rings on their TZ?
I think they would look great but amplify the need for LED_OCD GI, which im already thinking i will need anyways?

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/pop-bumper-rings

Im planning out a full led swap (minus the flashers and blinkers in the backbox).
Comet sunlight frosted 2smd
LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

Am i missing anything here? We've got a first timer here

#10980 2 years ago
Quoted from Johncare07:I just did this on mine and love it.

pop rings or ledocd?

#10986 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have a set of PBL's ones -
https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html
And if you want, I can sell the three to you at a discount. One was plugged in once, and then unplugged. Me p[ersonally am not a fan of them, so I put them in storage.

Interesting, what was it you didn’t like about them out of curiousity? just the overall look?

I have a trio in my funhouse that i really like.

E30791B9-412E-4ED1-846B-409F867ABFA5 (resized).jpegE30791B9-412E-4ED1-846B-409F867ABFA5 (resized).jpeg
#10988 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

I have them
In several other games and will install them in TZ when they make an orange one…

Oh man thanks for pointing that out... i was thinking they were all white and the color came from the pop caps.

#10990 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The BIGGED thing for me was the cool-white downward-facing LEDs. I used warm-white in my TZ, so the cool-white stood out like a midget at a dwarf conference.
Had I used cool or neutral whites in my TZ, I would have loved them, yes.
I got color-matched tops, so got one Red, Yellow, and Orange, instead of going with warm-white tops.

gotcha! sent ya a pm

#10994 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Here 2 examples: sttng with white leds the one on the left is at around 50%
Royal rumble with Red ones at full power I think.
The camera make all look way brighter than in reality…
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats awesome thank you so much for the detailed pics! Im gonna give Coyote's pinball life colored ones a shot. For TZ they up right up in your face, so i think it'll be better to go colored for sure after seeing your pics.

#11000 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

I love the look of the EVO bright lights from Pinball Life. I have done them on all of my machine's. Color match the pop bumper caps to the color I install. Also like the down light "cool blue" lighting the pop bumpers bases. I use this same LED'S color "cool blue" throughout my GI's in the machine's along with some color LED'S. Not too much color GI's, but enough in my opinion that looks good.
[quoted image]

YES!!! thank you for affirming i made the right decision!

Man that clear ramp looks so good too!

Who's side art blades are those, really nice!

f18427434fbb7085932aa3f2794a495fcf08d800 (resized).jpgf18427434fbb7085932aa3f2794a495fcf08d800 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#11415 2 years ago

Anybody else using pinstadiums in the TZ? Thoughts?

I am in the planning phase and have been dragging my feet on led swap for gi and inserts due to the needing 2 LEDOCD boards to pull it off well. Ran across this post showing incandescent bulbs with the use of pinstadiums and it looks pretty nice.

5499aa48dada201cb2a211eecc92eee8102c35ab (resized).jpg5499aa48dada201cb2a211eecc92eee8102c35ab (resized).jpg
2 months later
#11602 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:Hi,
I have a TZ which is pretty dirty. I play to rebuild it piece by piece. My question is about cleaning though. Should i use Novus 1 unless the grime isn't cut by that? Should I use something else? I'm really afraid to damage the PF in any way because that is beyond my ability to fix. Here are some pics.
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hah, that’s not dirty. This is dirty!

Novus 2 followed by 1 followed by Carnuba wax.

Advice i learned the hard way... start by removing a deep cleaning the subways or it will all come right back.

0207765C-1D46-468F-9BD8-5757367209C4 (resized).jpeg0207765C-1D46-468F-9BD8-5757367209C4 (resized).jpeg9450CBA4-51D6-4F24-8159-F435E592ABF6 (resized).jpeg9450CBA4-51D6-4F24-8159-F435E592ABF6 (resized).jpeg
#11603 2 years ago
D6834302-32F6-42D7-A985-2F8B6309DF66 (resized).jpegD6834302-32F6-42D7-A985-2F8B6309DF66 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#11639 2 years ago

My TZ is coming back together after a thorough cleaning and some lighting updates.

Have any of you left the plastic lid off the back ramp? I’m thinking it looks way nicer without all that extra plastic.

8DAF600B-5C08-4199-A356-BFD70F216F9E (resized).jpeg8DAF600B-5C08-4199-A356-BFD70F216F9E (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#11695 2 years ago

I recently finished up (for the most part) shopping my wife's childhood Twilight zone. She was adamant about keeping it "feeling" like the Twilight zone she grew up playing. I removed and deep cleaned all the ramps, plastics, subways, swapped it to comet sunlight leds, added some supplemental lighting, reinforced stand-ups etc. I was able to sneak a few minor mods in, like the door panel board mod, some lighted pop bumper caps and titan rubber and posts.

She is extremely happy with how it turned out. So much so that she has opened to the idea of a color dmd. (The orange display really looks like a wart now that the rest of game is bright and lively.)

My question is this: As i understand it, i would need to update the game ROM to the home ROM version to support the Color DMD. Will she be able to notice differences in gameplay? I'm really not wanting to make our classic twilight zone feel like a different game.

Thanks in advance.

2 months later
#12057 2 years ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

I had same issue with Ingo board (canceled my order a couple weeks ago) and bought installed the Casper board from PBL. Works and looks great!
Only caveat for me was that it didn’t work with my GIOCD board out of the box. I reversed the pins on the molex connector to the Clock assembly and things worked just fine

That’s good to hear! Reversing the pins is all it took? I have GIOCD too and that’s been the holdup with the casper board. I’ve been holding out for my ingo order but maybe not now.

3 weeks later
#12133 2 years ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Thank you Manny65 I had verified multiple times that the trough switches were fine (manually triggering switches, rolling a ball up the trough and confirm each switch was triggering, etc) but I agree that the issue has to be there.
This morning I went back, and found some flakiness on the left trough switch. After working it a couple times it was clean and the intermittentness had gone away, but initially it wasn't reading well. Time to swap it out.
Cracking the switch open, there is non-trivial gunk build up in the switch that must have made it intermittent (esp. after sitting around). Wild
During my initial sweep through the machine, my center trough switch was also intermittent, but not working more than working (also gunk on the inside). There was a bunch of gunk on the trough and playfield under the apron when I cleaned out, so I suspect a coke spill from 1993-94). Time to proactively replace all the other trough switches
Appreciate the sanity check on what is expected behavior and suggestions for debugging

Check your sub way switches, when i had all sorts of intermittent weird stuff happening it ended up being a subway switch need a little tweak because the arm wasnt pushing the switch all the way closed.

Goodluck

3 months later
#12494 1 year ago
Quoted from Spannerhead:

Sure!
I’m realizing the game is pretty dirty, any recommended cleaning methods?
Thanks,
Spannerhead [quoted image]

You're wasting your time cleaning unless you tear it down. I know from experience

The subways hold a ton of black dust and unless you remove them the dirt will immediately come back.

I ended up doing a topside teardown, not everything, but upper playfield, ramps, etc. I also removed all the subways and cleaned them throughly. Clean trough too!
Its a great time to replace all your rotten rubbers and update the lighting. Don't be scared it was my first go round with a teardown, just stay super organized. I'lll add a picture of what worked for me in a bit!

IMG_0436 (resized).jpegIMG_0436 (resized).jpegIMG_0677 (resized).jpegIMG_0677 (resized).jpegIMG_7240 (resized).jpegIMG_7240 (resized).jpegIMG_2359 (resized).jpegIMG_2359 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#12561 1 year ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Has anyone purchased an ingo board recently and received it?

I purchased one last sept/ nov...

Its not looking encouraging... It has went from problems with parts and shipping to sorry we ship slowly. Last update I received was in May (should receive in 2 weeks). Nothing since, no reply to inquiry.

Ive been very patient only contacting them every couple months, because i really want the board. But Im not sure i will ever receive it.

#12604 1 year ago
Quoted from jid:

The Casper board is great. No issues. Don’t hesitate. Plus no waiting!

Quoted from HeavyMetalPoet:

I second that! Casper board is great! Don’t waste your time with Ingo’s!

Does the casper clock board work with ledocd? Thought i remembered it not, but my research from a year ago when i ordered ingo board is foggy…

1 week later
#12639 1 year ago

These are comet sunlight with a mirrored backglass. Huge improvement.

4C32E700-3FAA-470F-9878-979635B114F3 (resized).jpeg4C32E700-3FAA-470F-9878-979635B114F3 (resized).jpeg
#12643 1 year ago
Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

is this the mirrored backglass from CPR ?
I'm toying with the idea of getting one to replace to translite.
is it really so much better?

Better yea, but honestly i was underwhelmed. My stock trans light had better resolution and the mirroring cpr incorporated is pretty minimal. That being said, i think it does improve the look some. The funhouse from cpr next to it is way nicer. I would buy it again but it’s not gonna knock your socks off.

1 month later
#12841 1 year ago
Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

little return on experience / Ingo Kramer's Clock board
Ordered and received mine about a year ago.
communication was OKAY. not great (time of response pretty long, like days and having to chase) but ultimately got my board and have to say the result is very good. as good as adverstised (I did go over two different brands of clock boards after my original one failed).
This one has been rock solid since day one and to date and from that I read everywhere it is the most bullet proof TZ clock board around.
just to say, dont "lose hope", communications is not their forte but they get the job done and when you get your board you likely won't have to look back for one ever again.

I waited for about a year just recently canceling. Slow responses and repeated bad excuses of it ships in 2 more weeks for the last nine months. I was willing to wait and did very patiently, only asking for update every couple months. In the end i felt, i didn’t want to support the lack of honesty.

1 week later
#12876 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

So is this plug-in play or do I have to make another harness. Is it still looks like $120?

It comes with a harness and instructions. It’s really a neat upgrade!

#12881 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

You have one? I already have Pin Stadium's, wonder how that would look. I do like Extra Bling.....I'd be in if it don't break the bank..

Yeah i bought one about a year ago.

Can’t help ya on the pin stadiums I considered them and ended up adding 5 spot lights and lit star posts that i am very happy with. But, if my memory serves the board harness ties in to the flashers with inline connectors on the new harness. Caution though i’m a little fuzzy.

#12888 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:Nice!
Yes my playfield is already bright enough. Those pop bumper lights sound very cool!
Any other pop bumper lighting kits to consider?
Thanks!
Richard

I picked these up used… i’ll have to dig to see what brand they were. Really like them… leds are color matched to pop color.

54E79924-DE66-42D6-B878-84508EA95099 (resized).jpeg54E79924-DE66-42D6-B878-84508EA95099 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Purdue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=Purdue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.