IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DuffysArcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7555 4 years ago

I wanted to share details of the custom television set topper I've made for my TZ. It's constructed of 3/8" oak plywood and pine. The screen is a 10" LCD from an old netbook computer. The TV is running on a Raspberry Pi Zero and is running software from MP4Museum which loops a B&W TZ video file I've made with clips of the old episodes. Blue LED strips on the back door illuminate the silhouette when the lights are off.

I haven't decided whether it will be an actual topper or I'll just hang it on the wall. It is quite large and I'm not about to drill holes into my TZ to mount it. I've considered using neodymium magnets to keep it up there. Open to suggestions on that. Thanks!
20191007_213015 (resized).jpg20191007_213015 (resized).jpg20191007_113745 (resized).jpg20191007_113745 (resized).jpg20191007_131432 (resized).jpg20191007_131432 (resized).jpg20191007_213353 (resized).jpg20191007_213353 (resized).jpg20191007_213333 (resized).jpg20191007_213333 (resized).jpg20191007_213750 (resized).jpg20191007_213750 (resized).jpg20191007_201008 (resized).jpg20191007_201008 (resized).jpg20191007_212759 (resized).jpg20191007_212759 (resized).jpg

1 year later
#10325 2 years ago

Wanted to share a project recently completed. Using an 8x32 LED matrix array of WS2812 LEDs which are driven by an Arduino Nano, I backlit the doorway area behind Rod Serling with an animated pattern found in the Arduino IDE FASTLed Library. The power consumption of 256 LEDs is quite high, so I needed to install a stand-alone 15A power supply (5vdc) under the playfield to power the array.

The great part of the mod is that the lighting effect can be tweaked on the laptop and uploaded to the Arduino in a matter of seconds to change the effect. Eventually, I'd like to make it reactive with the different door modes but this will take some time to sort out. The LED panel is secured to the backbox panel with velcro so it can be adjusted.

20210512_180649 (resized).jpg20210512_180649 (resized).jpg20210514_164220 (resized).jpg20210514_164220 (resized).jpgVideoCapture_20210514-190953 (resized).jpgVideoCapture_20210514-190953 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#10405 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

When the pinball tries to trigger it, a buzz is heard but nothing is triggered.

Ashram56 I had the exact same problem for a while. The issue for me was that the plunger was not far enough into the coil sleeve at the start of the stroke for the coil to "grab" the plunger magnetically and pull it down. If I moved the diverter just a bit by hand while the coil fired, it would immediately work fine and pull down the plunger.

I fixed it by adding some washers to the activating rod so that the plunger was a bit further into the coil at the relaxed neutral position. (Maybe only 2-3mm). After that mine has worked successfully for the past 3 years.

#10407 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Would be interesting to see how you added washers.

I can take a picture when I get home from work...but here is where I inserted the washer(s). Between the plunger and the metal bracket. It had the result of keeping the plunger a bit further down at it's relaxed state.

20210607_112202 (resized).jpg20210607_112202 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#11429 2 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Picking up a TZ with a bad clock. Back in the club after a few years Without going through everything on here does ingo still make these. Thought I heard they were no longer avail..thx

I ordered an Ingo TZ Clock Board a year ago off their website but they quickly refunded my money and told me they were dealing with part shortages which could last quite a while. I re-ordered one 10 days ago and they replied via email that they now have the parts to finish the boards and are working on the soldering. From my research the Ingo board is the best solution and fixes all issues associated with dodgy clock behavior.

#11440 2 years ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

I have not received a reply from Ingo yet. I had another pinsider tell me that he ordered a board yesterday and the transaction was refunded this morning. I would interpret that to mean he is not shipping to the states currently. I’ll just wait patiently and hope it gets sorted out.

Strange. I see that bakerhillpins ordered one 2 1/2 months ago and is still waiting for it, this other Pinsider you mentioned ordered one recently and then got refunded one day later. That is disconcerting.

I ordered a board 3 weeks ago (I live in Germany) and got a reply from Ingo's email (german-pinball-modular @hotmail.de) that they have the parts and have begun soldering them.

I will remain patient and hopeful that they have resolved their parts issues and we see some boards shipped soon.

3 weeks later
#11475 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Hi, new owner here. I was wondering if anyone had a good way to get a hold of Ingo? I ordered an LED clock from him about a month ago

I live here in Germany and I'm in the same boat.

I originally ordered on 15 September, waited 5 weeks and nothing, so I emailed them. They emailed back that they had the parts and were slowly getting the soldering started. That was back on 25 October.

I sent a follow up message to them about 2 weeks ago and I've heard no reply. They are probably inundated with orders and messages from inpatient TZ owners.

#11477 2 years ago

This was the last response I received on 25 Oct 2021. I have heard nothing since.

-------------

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021, 16:33 Outlook Teresa <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello, thank you for your order. We have had problems with parts for a long time, but they have arrived and we are slowly starting to solder. We'll get your board on Monday.

Lg
--
Gesendet über Outlook Email App für Android

#11481 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Are there any other good replacements out there?

AFAIK this is the best and only 100% solution for TZ Clock board issues. It solves the heat dissipation as well as the opto issue.

2 weeks later
#11542 2 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

Thanks for both replies. I think I'll test the switches and then take out the sensor parts involved, poke around on them with my meter and add some solder like you said where it may be needed. Will report back if I have success.

Having the same problem. Following

2 weeks later
#11563 2 years ago
Quoted from gregariousone:

Has anyone had any recent communication with Inglo for a clock board order?
For those who have previously ordered a board, did they forward tracking info when it was shipped?
I sent two order status inquiries (Sept & Dec) that have gone answered. Last info I received was back in July that they were to resume shipping sometime in August. Given it is 4 months later…. I am wondering a bit.

I have emailed them multiple times starting in early October, and been promised the board a few times...only to get feedback from them that they could not finish the board. I got an email saying they would send the board out in October, only to later get another email a week or so later saying that there were more delays. The most recent email I got is below:

------------------------
Montag, 25 Oktober 2021, 04:33PM +02:00 von Outlook Teresa [email protected]:

Hello, unfortunately we won't be able to ship until Christmas, we will be out immediately after Christmas, the reason we don't have time to solder until the end. At Christmas we solder the rest and ship it immediately. Sorry, there is no other way, you can always get your money back. Happy Christmas
Teresa

3 months later
#12050 2 years ago

Besides the unobtanium Ingo Board, are there any other good replacement TZ Clock Board options which are actually available to purchase??

After waiting for many months and getting many empty promises, I got a refund from Ingo (Theresa). So I'm still looking to find a good replacement board. When I bought my TZ, it already has some kind of aftermarket board w/ LEDs installed, but I still get the "Clock Broken" error and intermittent operation. Seems to bad optos.

#12054 2 years ago
Quoted from jid:

The board from PinballLife (which is made by Casper’s) works great. I’ve had great success with it personally.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I'll go ahead with that one...and it looks like I abandoned some items in my Pinball Life cart from weeks ago, so maybe I'll get everything at once

Quoted from mbaumle:

I also have a casper board and have had no issues with it.
It'd be nice if the LEDs were replaceable to match the game (to me, they're too harsh white), but it's a good consistent backlight with no hotspots.

By harsh do you mean that they are like a "cool white"? Looking at the photo on Pinball Life's website, it appears that the LEDs are just a few pieces of strip LED soldered in place. Perhaps it's as easy as de-soldering and removing that small strip and replacing it with your own of a better color?

#12067 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So after getting lost in the zone, then the restart it said you are now entering the twight zone. I really had no idea what to do. Just seemed like a normal new game but I got a ton of points after the drain. Is this a special mode?

Congrats...it's normal! Once you complete the entire door panel including the question mark, the "LITZ" mode begins. It is a timed mode with all 6 balls at once where many different modes are running and lots of things are active on the playfield at once. It is time limited to about 30 seconds I believe. Once the timer runs out, the coils and flippers stop and all balls are drained. Then all of the points are totaled up for everything you hit during the LITZ mode. The machine will re-load balls into the gumball machine, then you then get a new ball and start again with the door panel unlit again. You'll see somewhere during the game's attract more the "Lost In The Zone" Champion score is displayed. This is the highest score anyone has ever attained during the LITZ mode. (mine is currently around 375 million)

2 weeks later
#12118 2 years ago
Quoted from WarriorPin:

Got reacquainted with a TZ in near perfect condition yesterday for a few games - what a blast, now I need to get one. I am an admitted TAF zealot, but TZ is a better machine...

I am a committed TZ fanboy and was introduced to the B&W episodes at an early age. Also watched a lot of TAF growing up, but TZ has more sentimental value to me. I'm lucky enough to own both machines...and yes, TZ is the better pin hands-down.

4 weeks later
#12216 1 year ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Just joined the club. Such an awesome pin. Looking for a broken plastic. Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/twilight-zone/7302/shooter-lane-plastic-for-twilight-zone?c=0

Sold as a single piece here. (In Germany though).

Nice flippers! I like the color combo.

#12218 1 year ago
Quoted from atg1469:

These folks won’t ship to the states unfortunately. There was a group where someone had setup a group buy scenario and would ship items to you from Pinball Center but he got burned one too many times on shipping issues and called it quits. It’s a bummer too because this place carries some very cool, one of a kind type items!

If you really can't find it elsewhere, send me a PM. I'm an American living here and I can probably help you out as I've done for some others.

2 weeks later
#12241 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

My Dad's TZ has a display problem. What's this board on top of the DMD controller board? I don't see it listed in the manual.
[quoted image]

BTW I love the bread bag twist ties holding in in the machine!

#12268 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

I am having an issue with the one-way gate at the outhole on my TZ. Upon a ball drain, the solenoid fires and kicks the ball as per normal. However, the one-way wire gate, more times than not, spins counter-clockwise a full rotation so that it ends up on the opposite side of the metal guidepost and thus acts as "wrong-way" barrier for any subsequent ball that drains so that the ball just bounces back onto the solenoid actuator at the outhole and otherwise cannot move into the "rest" in order to be loaded back into the shooter lane. Anyone else ever have this issue? It just cropped up and I'm not sure as to what the best fix is... Thoughts from the group?
[quoted image][quoted image]

With the apron installed it should not be possible for it to spin all the way around. The one-way gate arm should be sitting on the right side of that metal tab and be prevented from spinning all the way by the bottom of the apron itself.

#12270 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

with the apron off so maybe I accidently screwed up the one-way gate. Thanks!

You aren't the first to do that

1 week later
#12313 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

You could get lucky (like me) and find a TZ topper that came off a IGT TZ slot machine. Very hard to find as I spent many years looking before I found mine. I do have a second one, but is missing the computer board that runs the light show that I would sell if interested. [quoted image][quoted image]

If Ray-dude isn't interested...I am! PM Sent

2 months later
#12703 1 year ago

Hoping for some help from the club. While sitting in attract mode for 20-30 mins, multiple solenoids just began firing randomly...then the F116 (12v) fuse blew and I smelled smoke. Before the fuse went, a coil seemed to be locking on which created smoke and sent me the wrong direction initially. I see nothing burned up on the power distribution board. The smoke seems to be from a coil getting hot from being locked on. I installed a 2.5A circuit breaker in the fuse block and shot this video of the behavior...

My switch matrix seems to be going absolutely nuts causing multiple coils to randomly fire.. Almost like there's some 12v getting into the switch matrix?

The game had been working fine. Hadn't changed or done anything in months to the machine. Completely out of the blue.

#12704 1 year ago
Quoted from simonlindsay:

17y 25,650 9 3
Twilight Zone
I have been advised to repost in this forum.
After extensive research across numerous forums, PinWiki etc. I cannot solve the following issue. It all started when I wanted to clean one of the minute optos on the clock. There was no credit dot when I first fired up the machine and then the error message came up that the clock was broken - it began to stop half way through a feature. When I had put the clock back in, I got the "Check fuses F115 and F116 and Opto 12V supply, clock is broken and ball popper opto is stuck"
I found F116 kept blowing so I purchased a 3A circuit breaker (and a 5A for future use) after I had ordered 20 3A SB fuses as I had already blown my last three. I attached crocodile clips to the breaker and then to either end of the F116 fuse holder. It tripped all of my garage sockets. Is there a special way to attach the clips as on the breaker it states 'Line' and 'Load' for each prong.
Just before using the breaker, I removed J116, J117 and J118, put in a new fuse and it blew instantly. I have tested the TPs and here are the results:
TP1 136.1V TP2 5V TP3 11.96 TP7 23.26 TP8 17.63 The voltages do go up and down when testing but the ones listed are about the average. Fuse 116 is not in its holder (for obvious reasons) and I have removed the clock as I just need to clean one of the optos. Clearly, TP1 is a major problem!
According to PinWiki, it looks like BR5 and C30 could be the cause, but what has caused the problem in the first place? I don't want to have to replace both those components only for it to happen again. Is there a way to find the possible cause before I try and replace the BR5 and C30.
Everything else looks fine underneath and I've removed and reinstalled loads of connectors and the ribbons in the backbox.
Many thanks in advance.
Simon

We seem to have a very similar problem! Along with my random solenoid firings...I've gotten the Clock is Broken, Ball Popper Opto error and my F116 is burning out as well. I've already swapped the big cap at C30. Maybe the Bridge Rectifier is shot? Maybe the noise I see in my switch matrix is AC ripple?

#12706 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Hoping for some help from the club. While sitting in attract mode for 20-30 mins, multiple solenoids just began firing randomly...then the F116 (12v) fuse blew and I smelled smoke. Before the fuse went, a coil seemed to be locking on which created smoke and sent me the wrong direction initially. I see nothing burned up on the power distribution board. The smoke seems to be from a coil getting hot from being locked on. I installed a 2.5A circuit breaker in the fuse block and shot this video of the behavior...

My switch matrix seems to be going absolutely nuts causing multiple coils to randomly fire.. Almost like there's some 12v getting into the switch matrix?
The game had been working fine. Hadn't changed or done anything in months to the machine. Completely out of the blue.

Quoted from Manny65:

I’d disconnect the PF switch connectors on the CPU board to confirm it’s an issue on the board. Try pressing on the ASIC and any socketed chip on the CPU board, to ensure they are seated well. If the problem persists, I’d swap in a CPU board (eg from your TAF) - need to change the game ROM over. This will confirm if this issue is on the CPU board.
Is the circuit breaker that’s now in F116 being tripped? Note that F116 is 12v unreg while the switch matrix uses the 12v reg power. If F116 is still being tripped, then disconnect J116-J118, if it still blows then that issue is on the power driver board

Looks like my culprit is the 100uF cap on the 10-Opto PCB under the PF. Explains all of the behavior i saw (and the smoke).

simonlindsay have you checked your machine for the same issue? You and I seem to be having very similar problems, and when I searched the forum for "Gumball Popper Opto", I see some previous posts in regards to the same problem.

20220912_070554 (resized).jpg20220912_070554 (resized).jpg20220912_070602 (resized).jpg20220912_070602 (resized).jpg20220912_070613 (resized).jpg20220912_070613 (resized).jpg

#12709 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Looks like my culprit is the 100uF cap on the 10-Opto PCB under the PF. Explains all of the behavior i saw (and the smoke).
simonlindsay have you checked your machine for the same issue? You and I seem to be having very similar problems, and when I searched the forum for "Gumball Popper Opto", I see some previous posts in regards to the same problem.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from harig:

Wow, nice burn
Seems those 100uF caps fail more often on the (opto) boards- tough never seen such a serious fail before

Just to close the loop for anyone with a similar problem...Replacing the 100uf cap on the under-playfield 10 Opto Board fixed my machine. The board took a fair amount of damage and I had to jumper a short trace. I played at least 10 games last night and it is solid with all of the wild behaviors gone. The Pinside community came through once again!

My game was exhibiting the following behavior:

- Solenoids firing randomly while in attract & test mode (especially the lower Jet Bumper, Shooter Lane Ball Gate, and Gumball Ball Popper)
- Messages stating Clock is Broken, and Ball Popper Opto is bad
- Switch Matrix flickering and going crazy
- F116 3A fuse blowing (after which the solenoids stopped firing, and the DMD went dead)

#12724 1 year ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

HA! - Extra ball and Special awarded to both of you for this... I've been chasing an issue where all the opto switch inputs on my TZ were "flickering/pulsing". This could easily be seen in the switch matrix tests. But it was intermittent for me and it would just go away while debugging. And it was always while I was poking around in a different area of the game so it seemed like it was a bad connection but it didn't track that way. Anyway, I pulled the Opto board because of this post and sure enough the 100uf 35v cap was already leaking (underneath so it wasn't yet visible). I'm going to pull the opto boards from all my remaining games and replace the filter caps on them this week.
After replacement the intermittent problem became permanent. Which made debugging easier. The best part about this was that my daughter (who loves to play pinball) joined me to help debug and fix the problem. Was a great evening for sure.
After a bit of walking through the issue we found that the unregulated +12vdc supply was low. So why did that take so long? Well, because after all these years of working on WPC games it just never sunk in that there are 2 12v supplies on the driver board. I'm sure I've been down this road before but honestly I just moved past actually tracing the power from the opto board because I kept testing the +12 logic power. My daughter is the one that finally got me to actually test the power to the Opto board and it was low (+9,8v). Forest for the trees? Never assume I guess... Once that was apparent we walked back through the power feed and found that the unregulated +12vdc supply was low. I tested the input AC (9.8vac) and it seemed fine at 12vAC so I figured one side of the bridge rectifier opened up. We replaced it but still got a low +12vdc. Turns out there was a problem with the IDC connector. Which, at this point, should have been one of the first places I went. Anyway, it's all working now, I have a bunch of filter caps to replace, and I have a bridge rectifier that I swapped out for no reason.
Regardless, game works and I spent a few quality hours with my daughter. Win

Awesome. Glad to hear that it helped you out as well. Those electrolytic caps are ticking time-bombs.

2 weeks later
#12816 1 year ago
Quoted from Tpbw:

Just want to say the ingo clock board from Germany is by far the best replacement board I have seen, i've fixed many tz's and it's totally worth the wait to get the Ingo board. Not to mention how much of a pleasure it was to Deal with the support staff when I had shipping issues. They reshipped the board with tracking info on their coin. Don't be afraid to upgrade your old underdesigned tz clock with a board that actually works. This one was for a customer but i will be buying another for my tz soon. https://www.german-pinball-modular.de/final-tz-clock-pcb-english.html

Quoted from Redfive05:

And if you order your Ingo board now, you might get it sometime this decade!
6 months, 0 updates unless I asked, first time I asked "It will ship in two weeks" When I asked 3 months later where it was I was told I needed to pick the $17 shipping without tracking and it could take up to three months to ship, or $47 with tracking and it might take a few days. When I told them I already picked the $17 shipping I was told we haven't shipped because some of the ones they shipped that way didn't arrive.
Excuse, excuse, excuse...
If I have only one good thing to say its that when I asked for my money back there was no argument.
Don't lie to me.... if you forgot to ship it, just say it.... if you can't get parts, just say it... if this was suppose to be a pre-order, just say it! (there was a rumor going around that they can't get the optos, if they just said that I would take the board without them seeing I already have replacement optos from other projects ready to go)
Unless you have $130 to just throw into the wind and see what happens stay away from the Ingo board.

Sadly, I had pretty much the same experience. I got a steady stream of excuses for months. I felt like Tom Hanks in "The Money Pit"...only 2 more weeks!

So I too, finally requested and got a refund from Ingo. Frustrating thing was that I actually already had an aftermarket clock board in my machine, but I was still getting errors about the clock. So I was hoping the Ingo board would resolve it all. So since I couldn't get the Ingo board, one day I re-seated all of the connectors in the backbox that had anything to do with the clock...and all of my "Clock is Broken" warnings disappeared!! It's been about 9 months and I have no more issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 22.50
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 29.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DuffysArcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=DuffysArcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.