IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ArcadeTechNerd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4390 6 years ago

Finally found a TZ to come live with me! A bit rough in spots as it was a route machine, but the playfield is in overall really good shape.
Finally a friendFinally a friend

And then the fun begins... The laundry list of things to fix/tweak/update/etc...

Clock board - baked! - Replace
Sad clockSad clock

G.I. Connectors - baked! - Replace
ToastyToasty

DMD controller schitzo - Repair
L-4 game ROM? - Update
IMG_4033 (resized).JPGIMG_4033 (resized).JPG

Center skill shot switch dead - Replace
Upper right flipper broken - Replace
Upper left flipper weak - Repair

Are we having fun yet? Oh HECK YES!

More to do? Oh heck yes! But that's the fun of it, eh?

IMG_4052 (resized).JPGIMG_4052 (resized).JPG

#4399 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Congrats and welcome! For the clock board, get Ingo's (no brainer)!

Thank you! Been hoping to pull this off for some time so I had already scored some various spare bits including a Rottendog clock board which dropped in and seems quite happy.

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Game-rom? I use the home-only version, I guess its the latest one!

Yeah, my 'geek' side struggled with that one for a bit. Ended up burning both a 9.2 and 9.4H just to evaluate the pro/con of each. Also found an image for the 9.4HC (home with coin-op still enabled) but it appears to be a PinMAME image so don't know if it would function properly in a 'real' machine.

The 9.4H code seems solid enough, but there is just something about the "Free Only" phrasing on the display that grates just a bit.

Sigh... Relax Dude, it's just pinball! If I repeat that often enough, perhaps I will start to believe it!

#4401 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

For the clock board, get Ingo's (no brainer)!

Hmmm... tho that board with the color-changing LEDs does look quite sexy!

That very well may have to go onto the list...

#4406 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

9.4ch will work fine in a real game. It's a hacked version, and the reason we don't have a 9.5h today. You can use it, but I'll have no respect for you.

Ah; now understanding the history behind it, fully understood. Had wondered why it was not on the P.P. download site. Now it makes sense.

9.4ch does not exist.

1 week later
#4487 6 years ago

Working on some G.I. issues on TZ, the initial view was not horribly surprising...
Fried connectors anyone?Fried connectors anyone?

Tho perhaps a bit disturbing...
Nasty!Nasty!

But then a closer look at the power/driver board...
That's not goodThat's not good

Obviously got a tad toasty!
Bad, badBad, bad

Could not imagine why the lights are not working...
They were soldered down, honest!They were soldered down, honest!

Pull connector, clean it up, test that the vias are intact
bit of cleaning yetbit of cleaning yet

Solder wick is your friend!
solder wick is your friend!solder wick is your friend!

A bit nicer looking afterwards...
much bettermuch better

Next, replace the shells on the cables, new trifercon pins, should be much happier!

...until I find that the fried connectors also took out the driver triacs! Parts ordering time!
Does anyone know if the IDC type connectors are trifercon type connectors?

Just adds a bit more impetus to order some more LEDs to reduce the overall current draw.

Sigh... but it's all part of the fun, yes?

#4489 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

As far as I know, they are not.
Also keep in mind that the 'trifuricon' part name is discontinued. If ordering from mOuser/Digikey, you want the 'KK' style/model/whatever.

I will keep that in mind, thanks. Actually have a bag of the pins on hand, but am out of the shells. Hence the query before ordering.
Just looking to prevent this from occurring again. At least as much as that is possible.

3 weeks later
#4559 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Thought that design was to allow the use of staggered flipper techniques. Definitely need to be able to cradle a ball on the lower flippers and still be able to use the upper flippers independently on TZ to hit/re-light jackpots safely during MB.

That's going to require a deft touch! Be kinda curious how many have actually mastered that technique.

...and should I be disturbed that this possibility had never occurred to me even though I had noticed the same 'stepped' activation on the left side flippers on Doctor Who?

#4561 6 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Not an inherent problem, but rather a "potential" problem. If it were inherent, every single Twilight Zone clock would have failed early on. IMPO, the problem is created by the excess heat built up from the incandescent bulbs - four of them - that cause the internal temperature to rise above the maximum ratings of the opto switches - which were rated at 85degC (operating temperature) back then.

Not entirely sure that I buy the entire argument here. No debate that the heat from the incandescent lamps were an issue, just as there is little debate (generally) that these machines have survived well past the wildest imaginings of their designers and are still (for the most part) functioning as designed. So one must take into consideration the time in which the designs were done before getting on the 'this was a poor design' bandwagon. (not so much in this thread, but it pops up fairly often in general)

That said, some consideration needs to be given for the changes that electronics experience as they age. Electrolytic and tantalum capacitors being the worst (and most obvious) offenders, but the other circuitry can show it's age as well.

When I picked up a TZ fairly recently the clock board (the original) was baked! Not unexpectedly so knowing the history of the machine. So it was replaced with a shiny new Rottendog board that I had on hand. Single board, new optos, LEDs, what's not to like? Granted, it largely follows the original design as far at the circuitry surrounding the optos go.

And all looked good for the first week or so, but then the return of the random 'Clock is broken' error.

Have checked the connectors the related bits and discovered nothing obvious. Now, that said it causes me to wonder a bit. Photo-transistors being by their nature an analog device rather than digital are apt to be a bit more susceptible to issues impacting the signal levels from the sensor. Bad cable, bad connector, corrosion/oxidation on contacts and the like. Or potentially age related drift in the LM339 analog comparators that receive the signal. Any of these items, individually or in concert could cause the signals from the optos to fall into that grey zone between 0/1 and cause the kind of random issues referred to.

Now, to be honest I have never seen one of the 'Ingo' board (or their 'Lock When Lit' U.S. variant) in person. And it should be said up front that I do not have a stake in this either way (aside from just wanting the darn fool error to go away), but it does not seem like an unreasonable approach to a solution to integrate the additional circuitry on the clock board to provide a bit more 'drive' on the signal lines in order to avoid the thresholding issue that seems to be in play here. Plugging in a new clock board is a fair bit easier for the average game owner. Not to mention less risky if your PCB rework skills are not the best.

Granted, I may yet find that I am actually chasing a marginal connector or dodgy wire in the harness but just though it was worth the observation that there could be more involved here that might first meet the eye.

#4570 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

If you watch TZ and other 4 flipper games played in big tournaments, you can see examples of staging where they trap with the lower flipper while simultaneously flipping the upper flipper.
It's typically done by holding the button in partially with the middle finger and then pressing it in fully with the pointer finger, while keeping the middle finger in position. It takes a steadier hand than mine.

Good info, thanks! going to have to try that. (preparing for much frustration at first!)

#4571 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

If your getting a clock error, I would expect you would see the flakey opto in the clock test.

I wish! Been staring at the clock test screen until I'm cross-eyed and don't see it, that's just part of the frustration.
Just going to have to assault it one step at a time until it exposes itself.

Watch, it will end up being similar to the issue I just got tracked down on my 3D printer. The X axis home sensor stopped functioning suddenly. Sensor tested good, main board looked good, so just had to be in the wiring harness. Found one line that appeared to be intermittent and was preparing to strip the whole run out and redo it, (and of course I did not have the proper connectors on hand) when lo and behold as I was unwinding it from the harness I find a break in the wire hidden under a wire tie holding it to a bracket! Looks like it may have been nicked at assembly and finally failed from the stress of the carriage movement.

I REALLY don't want to have to unwind this fool thing from the TZ wiring harness! But, if that is what it takes in the end...

#4572 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

You want it to be very soft, as the skillshot would be extremely hard with a high tension spring....

Well, THAT answers something I've been wondering about. The shot on mine is near insanely touchy! $ to donuts someone has put in the wrong spring somewhere in it's lifetime.

Parts order!!!

#4574 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

So you can run the clock forward and backward in test mode and time counts correctly?
If you stop the clock and watch the switch test mode, and tap on the clock, connectors, and cables, no switch fires?

Have not seen any signs of issues when running the clock fwd/bwd in the test, either fast or slow. Though I have not proceeded to the 'thump test' (aka: percussive maintenance) yet. Hopefully will get some time this weekend to sit down with it and do some (relatively) uninterrupted poking at it.

And one thinks of how boring life would be without the random intermittent problem! Tho some days I could really do with some boring!

5 months later
#5188 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Into the... TWILIGHT?

Hmmm... that gets me thinking... Perhaps a UV LED tucked back in there might provide the proper ambiance?

2 months later
#5714 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I took out the black ones since I've never seen black gumballs, and placed one of each color in at a time so they were as even as possible.

Well... I seem to remember black gumballs in "Ford" gumball machines a very long time back. Licorice flavor I think, but I guess I'm just ancient. Or my memory is playing me up again. Did not much care for that flavor anyway.

1 week later
#5797 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Don't know yet.
No, seriously, it's a combination board of the Ticket Expansion board, and the Serial Printer board.

So, planning on selling these? Terminally pingeek perhaps but often thought it would be cool to have the printer option for having hardcopies of the game audits. (yes, even just in the gameroom!) But maybe that's just me.

3 months later
#6153 5 years ago
Quoted from drained:

I did notice the upper left and upper right flipper fire after the bottom flippers when the button is pressed. I can press the flipper button in slightly for the bottom, then a little more for the uppers

That is normal for games of this series. They have two stage flipper buttons where the lowers fire on a slight push and the uppers on a more full push. My Doctor Who has them as well.

I've seen skilled players who actually work this feature quite well. A skill that is still a bit beyond me yet tho. But I'm working on it.

3 weeks later
#6240 5 years ago

May just be personal preference, but I used a mix of the slow and fast (OK, medium fast) blinking LEDs on mine. Having all of one kind tended toward them syncing and just looking annoying. I would have to look to recall which I located where, but I was much happier with the results. Much more random looking in appearance as would have been the case with the original incandescent blinking bulbs.

Though I do miss the sound when it is quiet...

4 weeks later
#6402 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Got to have my clock working so NVRam isn’t an option on TZ for me.

Don't believe that NVRAM and batteries are mutually exclusive. The NVRAM will not care one way of the other if the batteries are there, and the batteries will keep the RTC chip running to maintain the clock. Best of both worlds. Would still move to either lithum batteries &/or a remote battery holder tho.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ArcadeTechNerd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club?tu=ArcadeTechNerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.