IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 305.
#401 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Also, be careful on the cab decals. You can get them on eBay, but you need to make sure you get the right ones. There was a batch that was printed horribly wrong that people are still selling, trying to get rid of them. They look like this:

....when it should actually look like this:

Pretty big mistake if you ask me...

Really odd why they did that. Mistake or someone wanted it to be different? Anyway, the machine I picked up was restored by someone with these and still not sure why go through the trouble to put on something that's pretty obviously off. I knew about it when I looked at my game so was aware.

#402 9 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

It will continue to be fed to you (Unless there's a regular ball that's ready to be fed next due to a ball lock or shooter lane) until you put it into the gumball machine during play. I like the idea as it keeps giving you chances especially for the casual players.

Thank you for clearing that up!

#403 9 years ago

I like to have the powerball in play during regular multiball, because it will award you a double jackpot if you score it with the powerball.

#404 9 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Really odd why they did that. Mistake or someone wanted it to be different?

Last I remember hearing, the artwork was done by a third party. A proper graphic artist, just not one directly associated with pinball. I could be wrong though.

My guess is with the kind of gradient fill that area requires, it may have been an interpretation error when translating the image from one computer to the next or one format to another during processing for printing. It's pretty common that gradients get messed up on transfers if you're not careful. I'm also thinking they either didn't run a test print, or changed printers part-way through the run and the new printer wasn't paying attention to that red gradient being different and ran the full run.

The company that sold those originally actually has a stellar reputation for their pinball decals and artwork. Truly top quality stuff. That's what was so surprising about these TZ decals being so off, and they still sold them.

#405 9 years ago

Added some chrome trim from Mike Chestnut to my TZ

As it sits in it's own little private room with my Tafg

image.jpgimage.jpg image-717.jpgimage-717.jpg image-394.jpgimage-394.jpg image-916.jpgimage-916.jpg
#406 9 years ago

As much as I love the black trim on TZ, that chrome looks mighty fine, too!

#407 9 years ago

How easily does that chrome scratch?

I find the regular stuff scratches without too much hassle, so I'm wondering if chrome is worse or better...

#408 9 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Added some chrome trim from Mike Chestnut to my TZ
As it sits in it's own little private room with my Tafg

I wish I could get Mike to return my email. What's the secret?

#409 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

As much as I love the black trim on TZ, that chrome looks mighty fine, too!

I vote chrome trim on TZ and I'll Be Back in Black on T2. I love the contrast of these two games side by side in my gameroom.

http://treasure-cove.net/Twilight%20Zone_AP.htm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adriandmd/

And pics of the decal I had Jeff fabricate for the TZ diverter in case others want one for their game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-twilight-zone-ball-diverter-decal-mod-get-yours-now

#410 9 years ago

That chrome does look fantastic.

I just added clear flipper buttons, lit with color-changing LEDs. Pretty cheap mod that I think fits in the theme of the game. I have a light strip for the door on the translite too, but haven't installed it yet.

BTW, this is the nicemite.com version, not the ones that are $30 a pair.

#411 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

That chrome does look fantastic.
I just added clear flipper buttons, lit with color-changing LEDs. Pretty cheap mod that I think fits in the theme of the game. I have a light strip for the door on the translite too, but haven't installed it yet.
BTW, this is the nicemite.com version, not the ones that are kr205.13 a pair.
» YouTube video

Thank you for that tip!
Finally someone who creates a mod and don't charge an arm and a leg as payment.
For example, it really gets me pissed when a seller takes a $6.00 Thunderbird and puts two leds and one resistor in it, adds a cable to a total cost $7.50 and charges you $115.00 and makes a profit for over $100.00.

I bet when they play TZ the do nothing but shoot for the GREED targets!

#412 9 years ago

Exactly. At the cost of that mod, I could buy enough material to build it wrong TEN TIMES, get it right on the 11th, and STILL come out way ahead!

#415 9 years ago

Oh,
Sorry
Here the correct link
www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=137314

#416 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I have a question, when the powerball come in to play and it quickly drains, is it supposed to somehow be reloaded back into the gumball machine? or are you supposed to be able to play with it when it comes up in the regular ball ditch?

When the powerball comes into play you are responsible for shooting it back into the gumball machine via the right sided loop. The powerball is more difficult to keep in play than the metal balls because it is much lighter and smaller. You will get extra points for shooting the ball into the gumball machine when the right loop is lit.

#417 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

When the powerball comes into play you are responsible for shooting it back into the gumball machine via the right sided loop. The powerball is more difficult to keep in play than the metal balls because it is much lighter and smaller. You will get extra points for shooting the ball into the gumball machine when the right loop is lit.

Well actually the power ball is slightly larger than the steel ball

#418 9 years ago

Hi guys

I love this thread. I made the mistake of selling my nice conditioned TZ about a year ago. I really miss it. I am starting to collect mods in preparation for getting another TZ. CQ this time if I can find it. Anyway where is the best place to buy the Magnet Diverter Mod? I had one for my last TZ but I can't remember where I bought it. I got the piano mod and the sticker mod for the diverter. Any other recommendations for must have mods would be appreciated.

CB

#419 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Well actually the power ball is slightly larger than the steel ball

That's new to me. It looks smaller but I will take your word for it. I figured that was one of the reasons it was harder to control and keep in play. Thanks for letting me know that.

#420 9 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

Buy a Yat Ming 1:43 1955 Thunderbird off eBay or wherever. The car comes apart pretty easily by removing a few screws from the bottom, if I remember correctly. Drill out the headlights, and insert two super bright 3mm LEDs. Solder a 150-ohm resistor in series with each LED. I was able to fit these inside the car body. Connect to the Dead End lamp socket (or wherever you want) using either alligator clips, or by soldering directly to the socket (and then splice in some insulated disconnects maybe). If the LEDs seem dim, then it's probably wired up backward at the socket. Oh, and I mounted the car using a simple flat metal bracket with a screw hole at each end.

Thanks it has the car already in there so I may have to give this a bash

#421 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Anyway where is the best place to buy the Magnet Diverter Mod? I had one for my last TZ but I can't remember where I bought it.
CB

http://pinballpro.net/shop/twilight-zone-diverter-magnet-tz-dm/

#423 9 years ago

thanks guys. I will get it ordered even though I don't have a TZ. That will change soon enough.

#424 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Hi guys
I love this thread. I made the mistake of selling my nice conditioned TZ about a year ago. I really miss it. I am starting to collect mods in preparation for getting another TZ. CQ this time if I can find it. Anyway where is the best place to buy the Magnet Diverter Mod? I had one for my last TZ but I can't remember where I bought it. I got the piano mod and the sticker mod for the diverter. Any other recommendations for must have mods would be appreciated.
CB

I went to Home Depot and bought a 3 dollar pack of 3 and used 1 of them and haven't had any issues yet.

#425 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I went to Home Depot and bought a 3 dollar pack of 3 and used 1 of them and haven't had any issues yet.

Thaks for the tip. I did not know Home Depot sold magnets. What is the namd of them. I will try those magnets first with some double sided tape.
Thanks

#426 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Thaks for the tip. I did not know Home Depot sold magnets. What is the namd of them. I will try those magnets first with some double sided tape.
Thanks

I got mine at either Lowe's or Michael's (arts and crafts store). They are rectangles with a hole in the center, probably 3/16" thick . I hot glued, and now it works 99% of the time.

#427 9 years ago

thanks Sparky. I got a Michaels in the next town over. I will give it a try.

#428 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Thanks

Screenshot_2014-07-05-21-17-11.pngScreenshot_2014-07-05-21-17-11.png

#429 9 years ago

Used one of them with a washer in between and works great

#430 9 years ago

thanks Big D.. I appreciate it.. I am going to get one.

#431 9 years ago

you re right for the bracket...
and yes i remarked these differences in available decals...

Quoted from Miguel351:

Man, I just had mine apart the other night! You're talking about that L-bracket that you use to adjust the aim on the rocket kickout to the hitchhiker, right?
Also, be careful on the cab decals. You can get them on eBay, but you need to make sure you get the right ones. There was a batch that was printed horribly wrong that people are still selling, trying to get rid of them. They look like this:

....when it should actually look like this:

Pretty big mistake if you ask me...

$_57.JPG 213 KB

$_12.JPG 33 KB

#432 9 years ago

The sensor board mounted to the subway, that's supposed to recognize the powerball, isn't working on mine. Does anyone make a replacement board for this part?

#433 9 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

The sensor board mounted to the subway, that's supposed to recognize the powerball, isn't working on mine. Does anyone make a replacement board for this part?

I had a similar issue. Mine was a loose connector.

I checked pins and solder pads on the boards, but everything looked good. So, I removed the connector, twisted about 8 times and reconnected it. It worked. Apparently the torque created by twisting the wires, kept the connector in proper contact with the header pins.

Might not be your issue, but it's worth a shot.

#434 9 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Echoing what Train H20 said, you can do that and even Clay suggests soldering the wires directly vs. the connectors on the eddy boards connectors as they're known for having issues.

But if you need new proximity board for subway, Marco sells that: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16535

#435 9 years ago

I thought I had a rare TZ, complete with the special limited edition "smokey sub tunnels".

Nah.......they were just dirty.

After cleaning.
tz sub tunnel.jpgtz sub tunnel.jpg

#436 9 years ago

Impressive how dirty then can get, isn't it?

Was your gumball popper subway tinted? Most I've seen are...

#437 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Impressive how dirty then can get, isn't it?
Was your gumball popper subway tinted? Most I've seen are...

They were all black, including the blue rubber bumpers. I finally got brave enough to take them off, and clean them.

I kept spot cleaning around the slings, and they would get dirty again. I figured the dirt was in the tunnels, and I was right.

#438 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

I thought I had a rare TZ, complete with the special limited edition "smokey sub tunnels".
Nah.......they were just dirty.
After cleaning.

How difficult is it to take the subways out? Seems like there is a lot of stuff I could screw up if I tried?

#439 9 years ago

Subway isn;t that tough to take out. If I recall correctly just some screws and maybe disconnect an opto or 2. (and a switch?)

#440 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Subway isn;t that tough to take out. If I recall correctly just some screws and maybe disconnect an opto or 2. (and a switch?)

Excellent.

#441 9 years ago

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I removed and cleaned all of them, the slot scoop and others too.

There were a lot of screws, unplug and remove the Eddy Sensor, and three roll-over switches from the tunnel in my photo.

It's where the dirt and grime is hiding.

#442 9 years ago

Excellent comments here!

The first thing I do when I get a game that isn't new/babied/HUO/very young/recently shopped is to vacuum/blow out the cabinet, remove & clean everything under the PF where the ball can go, change all the rubbers (if needed), and *then* clean/polish/wax the PF.

Note--definitely save the PF clean/polish/wax step for very last, especially if you're removing old crumbly rubbers--that rubber dust can make quite a bit of a mess, especially when prying (or sometimes cutting) the tiny post rubbers off the posts.

Only then will I throw in some new balls & play.

-Jason

#443 9 years ago

How about the door for the playfield. Looking at several locations and maybe having it lie down like it is on the translite.

image-693.jpgimage-693.jpgimage-917.jpgimage-917.jpg

#444 9 years ago

I am pleased to announce that after having sold my TZ one year ago I have acquired another TZ from a fellow pinsider. I am very excited to get it. I have really missed the pin. I am excited to put a few mods into it including the piano , TZ mini PF light and Spiral Sign. That is what I have so far. I am amazed at how expensive the mods are. I was looking at the slot machine mod but did no buy it at $180 or so. I got to hit home depot for the magnet next. Love this thread!!!

#445 9 years ago

I like the door mod a lot. It looks good near the shooter lane.

#446 9 years ago

One thing you should ALWAYS do periodically on a game is blow off the playfield underside (and each lamp inlay from underneath) with compressed air.

If you have a compressor, that's the best, otherwise cans of air can be used (long as you stop when they get cold and let them warm back up before continuing).

You'll be amazed at the amount of black dust that will come flying off.

Back "in the day", at Greater Southern, the first stop for a game when being shopped out (and often when just in for repair) was the paint shop, where we'd turn on the big huge exhaust fan, and just hose the thing down with compressed air. The black cloud sucked out the fan exhaust was usually huge.

#447 9 years ago

I remember Greater Southern. I bought a CV there, around 2003, at a surprisingly reasonable price.

#448 9 years ago

I'm going to pony up and replace my clock board and housing.
I'm really tired of fixing my clock, and the housing was drilled for ventilation.

I also need to add a Cliffy's protector for the slot machine and shooter lane.

#449 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

How about the door for the playfield. Looking at several locations and maybe having it lie down like it is on the translite.

I understand it's white on the cab art, but that thing just looks too white for me (unless it will be painted at some point). Just looks plasticy & unfinished IMO...but I wish you luck.

Def can't put it in the shooter lane blocking the skill shot though.

#450 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

I'm going to pony up and replace my clock board and housing.
I'm really tired of fixing my clock, and the housing was drilled for ventilation.
I also need to add a Cliffy's protector for the slot machine and shooter lane.

Go for Ingo's clock board,
I bought direct from him in Germany, Impressive product, I kept my original one too with one flaky opto that I might fix down the road but Ingo's board looks great with the warm LED's in it,
Plus you have the brightness control on it too,

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 79.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.