IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 305.
#4351 6 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

had one of my pop bumper caps break. considering replacing them with LED options. Anyone with recommendations? pics?

I'd like to see this too, tired of the old one led in the pop

#4352 6 years ago

Grab three #555 bulbs, glass ones - you know, the ones that make a neat little 'pop' sound when you throw them down on a hard floor? - and put them in there. Voila! Problem of the pinpoint LED light solved.

#4353 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Grab three #555 bulbs, glass ones - you know, the ones that make a neat little 'pop' sound when you throw them down on a hard floor? - and put them in there. Voila! Problem of the pinpoint LED light solved.

LOL

I like these too:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3069

#4354 6 years ago

Can you try that link again? not coming up for me.

#4355 6 years ago

my next issue, when i got the machine, i noticed the right coin entry plate was missing.

so when i bring up the trusty manual, the plate is 27-1038 "button cover".

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/27-1038

but on my TZ, the button cover and the slot for the coin entry appear to be one piece.

am i crazy? or is 27-1038 indeed what i need.

20170616_203428 (resized).jpg20170616_203428 (resized).jpg

20170616_203451 (resized).jpg20170616_203451 (resized).jpg

#4356 6 years ago

The cover is a small snap in plate that snaps into those two little holes in your button

#4357 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

The cover is a small snap in plate that snaps into those two little holes in your button

I see that, but the part linked doesnt have a slot in it, so I am just confused as to how that works.

#4358 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I'm a reasonable guy. More than happy to pay well over market price for a good machine in nice condition. Simple as that. Pin needs to be within my radius as i dont have time to take a cross country road trip. I offered a guy 8k for a faded indy. He told me to stop lowballing him.
But anyway not trying to go off topic on this thread but yes im looking to buy a nice quality TZ and if you know or have one for sale pls shoot me a message. It would be highly appreciated

Lermods has his on the market: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-twilight-zone-34

Looks to be very well sorted! Aren't Virgina and New Jersey around 6 hours apart?

#4359 6 years ago

I see that, but the part linked doesnt have a slot in it, so I am just confused as to how that works.

It only fits into the right side of the button. Took me a minute to figure out too.

You may want to buy the whole push button thing too - your coin slot looks really chewed up

#4361 6 years ago

The Sparky Pop Bumper Enhancement looks sweet, and you could probably make something similar with holographic glitter paper from the craft store. Would be a nice project for the kids.

#4362 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The Sparky Pop Bumper Enhancement looks sweet, and you could probably make something similar with holographic glitter paper from the craft store. Would be a nice project for the kids.

Very true - st $2.95 which is (I think?) what they cost at PBL, it was worth the enjoyment of NOT getting out the scissors...

#4364 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Hey guys ill be looking at getting a TZ hopefully in the near future. How much does a nice HUO usually run? Is there a place where i can buy this topper?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ah-Q2hNzf8U/maxresdefault.jpg

Funny I just sold one of those toppers and am also thinking of selling the game. Just an FYI I sold the topper for $700.00 but that was on the low side.

#4365 6 years ago

Ugh... Please,

#4366 6 years ago

Alex, which pop lighting do you use?
I'm having a hard time, I don't like any of the options available

#4367 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Alex, which pop lighting do you use?
I'm having a hard time, I don't like any of the options available

I'm kinda old school when it comes to pop bumpers lighting... Just like coyote said, I think a colored 555 bulb looks very good! It's personal taste anyway, but I'm not fan of these "ufo" thing people are doing...

#4368 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'm kinda old school when it comes to pop bumpers lighting... Just like coyote said, I think a colored 555 bulb looks very good! It's personal taste anyway, but I'm not fan of these "ufo" thing people are doing...

Yeah, not a fan either, except with a few select games

#4369 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yeah, not a fan either, except with a few select games

Those LED "UFO"s look really good in a game like Doctor Who - looks like it belongs there, but in a game like TZ, it looks a bit much IMO. This is why I like the understated nordman thing - it fills the empty space of the pop and you can put a nice round LED in there and it looks "complete".

#4370 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Hey guys ill be looking at getting a TZ hopefully in the near future. How much does a nice HUO usually run? Is there a place where i can buy this topper?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ah-Q2hNzf8U/maxresdefault.jpg

As a Pinball And slot machine collector if you are looking for a Slot machine accessory like this you need to shop on the Slot machine forum not the pinball forum. I see these listed all the time on the NewLifeGames forum classified section or you PM some of the many parts brokers on that site. Like pinball, if you want a slot machine part (or topper) you need to shop in their playground to find it and get the best price. Very cool TZ topper BTW. Hope this helps, good luck.

#4371 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As a Pinball And slot machine collector if you are looking for a Slot machine accessory like this you need to shop on the Slot machine forum not the pinball forum. I see these listed all the time on the NewLifeGames forum classified section or you PM some of the many parts brokers on that site. Like pinball, if you want a slot machine part (or topper) you need to shop in their playground to find it and get the best price. Very cool TZ topper BTW. Hope this helps, good luck.

Where is "the slot machine forum"? Is there a Pinside for slot machines?

#4372 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Where is "the slot machine forum"? Is there a Pinside for slot machines?

As I noted in my text, the forum is called NewLifeGames.com

#4373 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As I noted in my text, the forum is called NewLifeGames.com

I thanks - I will have to learn to search better on there, when I searched for "IGT twilight zone" Just now, it only came u with one WTB post from 2015...

#4374 6 years ago

Yep, that site makes me really appreciate all the hard work Robin puts into Pinside

#4375 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Yep, that site makes me really appreciate all the hard work Robin puts into Pinside

ABSOLUTELY agree

#4376 6 years ago

Working on mine today

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#4377 6 years ago

Yes Pinside is a great web site. All the good people here help to make it even better, with help on repairs and mods.
This site helps everyone turn their machine into a work of art. Thanks everyone.
I am on here all the time learning and also trying to help others, when I can.
Just got my TZ up and running and pretty much dialed in today!

IMG_0689 (resized).JPGIMG_0689 (resized).JPG
IMG_0690 (resized).JPGIMG_0690 (resized).JPG
IMG_0692 (resized).JPGIMG_0692 (resized).JPG

#4378 6 years ago

Just curious,,, does anyone know what this connector is for?....

wire 2 (resized).JPGwire 2 (resized).JPG

wire 1 (resized).JPGwire 1 (resized).JPG

#4379 6 years ago

All games have it. I mean, all TZ games - from Sample to the last one off the factory floor.

And to this date, I have yet to head of an explanation for it, other than possible test point.

#4380 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Working on mine today

You doing a full restore on it? Restoration is part of the fun! Enjoy!

#4381 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

You doing a full restore on it? Restoration is part of the fun! Enjoy!

Not a full restoration, I had the armor powder coated and I cleaned and fixed a few things, still a few things to do... almost finished

#4382 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Not a full restoration, I had the armor powder coated and I cleaned and fixed a few things, still a few things to do... almost finished

Nice!!!

#4383 6 years ago

You've got a different coin door than what that orange part from Marco is for. Can't remember the name of that supplier for that style of door for the original type that came on TZs, but hat orange part is for most WPC era B/W made doors. What you've got is different.

I think this is what you're looking for:
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=891-1113-01

I don't know that company at all, I've never purchased from them, just found it on their site.

#4384 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

All games have it. I mean, all TZ games - from Sample to the last one off the factory floor.
And to this date, I have yet to head of an explanation for it, other than possible test point.

You should plug a DMM into it and play a game to see if/when it gets signal and what's going on when it happens. It'd be interesting to see how much/what kind of voltage it gets...

#4385 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

You should plug a DMM into it and play a game to see if/when it gets signal and what's going on when it happens. It'd be interesting to see how much/what kind of voltage it gets...

It's a lamp column. Yellow/Red. That column ONLY feeds the 19-lamp door light board. So I'm not sure why they would have a junction in it like that, honestly..

Edit to add - It really can't be for anything 'missing', like a missing feature or something, because you would need a red lamp wire as well.. :/

#4386 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

You've got a different coin door than what that orange part from Marco is for. Can't remember the name of that supplier for that style of door for the original type that came on TZs, but hat orange part is for most WPC era B/W made doors. What you've got is different.
I think this is what you're looking for:
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=891-1113-01
I don't know that company at all, I've never purchased from them, just found it on their site.

Thank you!! I am not crazy. haha. I was looking at the coin door diagram in the manual and I was just like, this does not look like the same setup. heh. I appreciate the link, at the very least it points me in the right direction and I can do some more investigating.

#4387 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It's a lamp column. Yellow/Red. That column ONLY feeds the 19-lamp door light board. So I'm not sure why they would have a junction in it like that, honestly..
Edit to add - It really can't be for anything 'missing', like a missing feature or something, because you would need a red lamp wire as well.. :/

Hrrrmmm... in my mind it went something like this...

Random employee: Hey Joe! Someone made this lamp column wire a bit too short in these harnesses, what should we do?
Random sup: just join on the extra bit you need with a connector and let the guys down in wirinf know.
Random employee: hey wiring guys, we need this connector crimped on when your making those TZ harnesses.
Okiedokie, you got it!

#4388 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is it vacant even on your's? Even with the original flasher board installed? Does your door light board have four empty flasher holes or two?

Sorry for all the questions, but I love a good mystery.

#4389 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Hrrrmmm... in my mind it went something like this...
Random employee: Hey Joe! Someone made this lamp column wire a bit too short in these harnesses, what should we do?
Random sup: just join on the extra bit you need with a connector and let the guys down in wirinf know.
Random employee: hey wiring guys, we need this connector crimped on when your making those TZ harnesses.
Okiedokie, you got it!

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if this was, or at least was close to the case.

Quoted from Miguel351:

Is it vacant even on your's? Even with the original flasher board installed? Does your door light board have four empty flasher holes or two?
Sorry for all the questions, but I love a good mystery.

Yup, mine isn't plugged into anything either. Never has been since I've worked on the machine (years before I owned it).

The original flasher board is for the top two flashers - opposite end of the board from where this wire is. I *do not* have the 4-flasher door panel board. There's a lucky POS here that has a game made one or two days before mine that does. Rrrrf.

#4390 6 years ago

Finally found a TZ to come live with me! A bit rough in spots as it was a route machine, but the playfield is in overall really good shape.
Finally a friendFinally a friend

And then the fun begins... The laundry list of things to fix/tweak/update/etc...

Clock board - baked! - Replace
Sad clockSad clock

G.I. Connectors - baked! - Replace
ToastyToasty

DMD controller schitzo - Repair
L-4 game ROM? - Update
IMG_4033 (resized).JPGIMG_4033 (resized).JPG

Center skill shot switch dead - Replace
Upper right flipper broken - Replace
Upper left flipper weak - Repair

Are we having fun yet? Oh HECK YES!

More to do? Oh heck yes! But that's the fun of it, eh?

IMG_4052 (resized).JPGIMG_4052 (resized).JPG

#4391 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Finally found a TZ to come live with me! A bit rough in spots as it was a route machine, but the playfield is in overall really good shape.

And then the fun begins... The laundry list of things to fix/tweak/update/etc...
Clock board - baked! - Replace

G.I. Connectors - baked! - Replace

DMD controller schitzo - Repair
L-4 game ROM? - Update

Center skill shot switch dead - Replace
Upper right flipper broken - Replace
Upper left flipper weak - Repair
Are we having fun yet? Oh HECK YES!
More to do? Oh heck yes! But that's the fun of it, eh?

Congrats and welcome! For the clock board, get Ingo's (no brainer)! Game-rom? I use the home-only version, I guess its the latest one!

#4392 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

For the clock board, get Ingo's (no brainer)!

My original clock board also had some burn from the bulbs and clock errors. Cleaning up the connectors corrected the clock errors.

Since my board worked, I installed white LEDs and resistors in place of the bulbs and diodes, and have been running with my original clock board for a year without issue and I saved some cash. Just FYI.

#4393 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Just got my TZ up and running and pretty much dialed in today!

I have that style pop bumper LED lighting on my IJ and the downward LEDs really brighten up that area of the playfield nicely. I have three more of them (yellow+orange+red) but held off on putting them in TZ because I thought the downward facing LEDs would make that area much brighter than the middle of the playfield and look out of place. Is this any problem on your TZ?

#4394 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I have that style pop bumper LED lighting on my IJ and the downward LEDs really brighten up that area of the playfield nicely. I have three more of them (yellow+orange+red) but held off on putting them in TZ because I thought the downward facing LEDs would make that area much brighter than the middle of the playfield and look out of place. Is this any problem on your TZ?

Ahh, I just realized he has the same LED rings I was looking at after seeing your note here. I am curious as well on feedback for those LED pops.

#4396 6 years ago

Honestly, that guy needs to learn a few things.
If he's going to solder in those flexible LED lights, AND design a board to hold them, then just make your PCB hodl the LEDs directly, instead of having to solder a flexLED flex strip to your PCB. Oy!

#4397 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly, that guy needs to learn a few things.
If he's going to solder in those flexible LED lights, AND design a board to hold them, then just make your PCB hodl the LEDs directly, instead of having to solder a flexLED flex strip to your PCB. Oy!

lol. I have one of those clock boards, and I have to say it really works well; lights things up perfectly, and when the lights cycle it looks very smooth.

#4398 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

lol. I have one of those clock boards, and I have to say it really works well; lights things up perfectly, and when the lights cycle it looks very smooth.

Oh, yeah - I'm not saying they don't *operate* just fine. It's more of a 'why the heck go through all that to end up with that?' kind of thought. If you're going to design a new clock board PCB, then... include the LEDs on it. You're already 99% there!

Hell - and then make the soldermask white, to help with lighting, and voila!

#4399 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Congrats and welcome! For the clock board, get Ingo's (no brainer)!

Thank you! Been hoping to pull this off for some time so I had already scored some various spare bits including a Rottendog clock board which dropped in and seems quite happy.

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Game-rom? I use the home-only version, I guess its the latest one!

Yeah, my 'geek' side struggled with that one for a bit. Ended up burning both a 9.2 and 9.4H just to evaluate the pro/con of each. Also found an image for the 9.4HC (home with coin-op still enabled) but it appears to be a PinMAME image so don't know if it would function properly in a 'real' machine.

The 9.4H code seems solid enough, but there is just something about the "Free Only" phrasing on the display that grates just a bit.

Sigh... Relax Dude, it's just pinball! If I repeat that often enough, perhaps I will start to believe it!

#4400 6 years ago

Okay, very quick summary time again, since I'm on my phone.

9.4ch will work fine in a real game. It's a hacked version, and the reason we don't have a 9.5h today. You can use it, but I'll have no respect for you.

You can turn off the free play message in Feature Adjustments. It will act normal - displaying how many credits are on the game, with the exception that you can still start a game with 'CREDITS 0' displayed. As you insert coins, it will keep track, and subtract as you start games.

Apparently the link to my manual addendum isn't working anymore. When I get home tonight, I'll post a PDF here for everyone.
It has all the menu changes between 9.4H and the printed manual, with descriptions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.