IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 305.
#4151 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Does the game make the sound effect of dumping? Is it a flat pull back and release, or a twitch?

No sounds at all, just a flat pull back and release once every 10 games or so. Totally at random

#4152 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I have been looking to add a rocket ship mod. I really like this one.
Has anyone seen one of these or knows were to get one?

The silver one in the picture was made by pinballpro, but it's an older version. They still make one, but it looks more like the rocket on the playfield. http://pinballpro.net/shop/twilight-zone-rocket-ship-tz-6/

#4153 6 years ago

Hey guys -
Leaving this Wednesday to hit the road, from the East Coast to Reno, NV with a side-stop in Willits, CA.
So, as much as I like helping ya'll, I may be silent for a while.

If anyone's in Ely, Nevada, let me know. I love US50 west of there.

#4154 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hey guys -
Leaving this Wednesday to hit the road, from the East Coast to Reno, NV with a side-stop in Willits, CA.
So, as much as I like helping ya'll, I may be silent for a while.
If anyone's in Ely, Nevada, let me know. I love US50 west of there.

Good luck Coyote! Drive safely!

#4155 6 years ago

Sounds like a fun drive! Hope the vacation is fun!

#4156 6 years ago

Just got these back from the machine shop. Very excited to get one installed and see how it looks.

IMG_5628 (resized).JPGIMG_5628 (resized).JPG

IMG_5631 (resized).JPGIMG_5631 (resized).JPG

IMG_5629 (resized).JPGIMG_5629 (resized).JPG

IMG_5632 (resized).JPGIMG_5632 (resized).JPG

IMG_5633 (resized).JPGIMG_5633 (resized).JPG

#4157 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Just got these back from the machine shop. Very excited to get one installed and see how it looks.

They look nice! Are they difficult to install? Does the mini playfield have to come off?

#4158 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

They look nice! Are they difficult to install? Does the mini playfield have to come off?

You can take them off and install very easily without taking off the miniplay field. There is a plastic cover than screws it down at the back left of the mini playfield. Unplugging the lights is also easy without taking off the miniplay field. Now reaching the plug to plug it back in, that is a tight fit without at least loosening the mini playfield.

#4159 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

You can take them off and install very easily without taking off the miniplay field. There is a plastic cover than screws it down at the back left of the mini playfield. Unplugging the lights is also easy without taking off the miniplay field. Now reaching the plug to plug it back in, that is a tight fit without at least loosening the mini playfield.

there's rivets to deal with still correct?

#4160 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

there's rivets to deal with still correct?

You'll need to drill out the rivets to get the wiring harness out from the old lamp, and then either use new rivets or screws (my plan) to put them on the new lamp. I'll do this tonight/tomorrow and document the process.

#4161 6 years ago

And dude... do you actually still have 5 1/4" floppy's?

#4162 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Commodore-formatted, no less!

#4163 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ha! Glad someone noticed the drive. It goes with an old Pet (now used as a monitor stand.). I have a couple of 5.25" floppies somewhere...

IMG_5634 (resized).JPGIMG_5634 (resized).JPG

IMG_5635 (resized).JPGIMG_5635 (resized).JPG

#4164 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Commodore-formatted, no less!

Okay -- I'm deeply impressed that you recognized that it was a Commodore from the photos. There isn't much to go on in my post!

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 12.21.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-05-22 at 12.21.14 PM (resized).png

#4165 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Okay -- I'm deeply impressed that you recognized that it was a Commodore from the photos. There isn't much to go on in my post!

I grew up with Commodore computers. The style, color, and font were a dead giveaway.

Sadly, I no longer have my C=64, the best of the bunch I ever had. Have been thinking about going out and getting one again.

#4167 6 years ago

LOL! Ain't we all. That PET is pretty rad!

#4168 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

You'll need to drill out the rivets to get the wiring harness out from the old lamp, and then either use new rivets or screws (my plan) to put them on the new lamp. I'll do this tonight/tomorrow and document the process.

Sounds good. This is something I'm looking forward to. Documenting the process will surely make things a lot easier for a lot of us

#4169 6 years ago

Lyons I was under the impression from the answer I got from you was you weren't making these to sell.

#4170 6 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Eric if you can make those at a considerably cheaper price than the pdi shade is be in. I do think I prefer twilight zone? On the sides though.

Hey Squeak -- I recall sending you an eBay link for buying one with the TZ logo(~$60) from Europe that was less expensive than the PDI (~$150). Also, I said that I don't undercut other mod makers (i.e., I'm not going to make a copy of anther mod in production and then sell it for less). So, if you want a TZ logo lamp cover, there are two options. But if you want an awesome one with an uber modern Illuminati eye on the top and a non-trademarked phrase, I have something you may like.

#4171 6 years ago

Install was pretty easy. What do you all think?

IMG_5654 (resized).JPGIMG_5654 (resized).JPG

IMG_5663 (resized).JPGIMG_5663 (resized).JPG

IMG_5655 (resized).JPGIMG_5655 (resized).JPG

IMG_5664 (resized).JPGIMG_5664 (resized).JPG

#4172 6 years ago

Looks great! Love the red!

#4173 6 years ago

In white

IMG_5666 (resized).JPGIMG_5666 (resized).JPG

IMG_5667 (resized).JPGIMG_5667 (resized).JPG

#4174 6 years ago

Blue (which doesn't photograph well.)

IMG_5668 (resized).JPGIMG_5668 (resized).JPG

IMG_5669 (resized).JPGIMG_5669 (resized).JPG

#4175 6 years ago

My preference (at least for now) is white, with a red flasher.

#4176 6 years ago

Try it in yellow !

#4177 6 years ago

Eric. It looks great! I misunderstood you. I thought you weren't making them at all. Of course I understand that you wouldn't copy others designs.

#4178 6 years ago

I like white also. I think the pdi has a film under it to give the color with a white bulb in there.? I like the color coming through the sides but it washes out the colors on the mini Playfield. Natural looks better to me. I use mostly white leds in my games also because I hate the washed out look it gives through the plastics.

#4179 6 years ago

A light filter sheet like what is used with stage lighting would line all of your prototypes and more plus its available in a wide range of colors.

Oh yeah they are called "gels"...

For example:
http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Stage-Lighting-Store/Roscolux-Gel-Sheets-Swatchbook-Order

#4180 6 years ago

I like blue. How easy was it to install?

#4181 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Blue (which doesn't photograph well.)

Put two color changers in there.

#4182 6 years ago

These pics made me wonder.... do we really need that piece of metal over there? What good does it make?

#4183 6 years ago

My new tz had a tv mod installed on it by the previous owner.

It's a slide show version but it only seems to come on when I switch the machine off (still plugged into the wall though).

Does any one have a link to the slideshow tv mod? I could only find info on the newer video ones.

I'm trying to understand if this is th correct behaviour or something is wrong.

#4184 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I'll get some filter gels: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-12-Inches-Transparent-Correction-Different/dp/B01CCIKB5Q .

I took pictures of the install process, and will get them written up and listed in my pinside shop for anyone that wants one.

#4185 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

These pics made me wonder.... do we really need that piece of metal over there? What good does it make?

It provides light for the power playfield. Without it, it is pretty dark.

#4186 6 years ago

I will have to look through my box o pinball stuff. I made a few of these years ago, just need to get then bent up, they are still just in the flat. I will post later.

#4187 6 years ago

Just wrote up some instructions for how to change out the power playfield lamp: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vLcQAf36xNg7wMxDtN5OjyFojRKBxq9J3ushS_IHC0o/edit

#4188 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Just wrote up some instructions for how to change out the power playfield lamp: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vLcQAf36xNg7wMxDtN5OjyFojRKBxq9J3ushS_IHC0o/edit

Thank you! How much are they selling for?

#4189 6 years ago

I replaced my front decal, fairly stressful, even after really good prep

IMG_4686 (resized).JPGIMG_4686 (resized).JPG

IMG_4689 (resized).JPGIMG_4689 (resized).JPG

#4190 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I replaced my front decal, fairly stressful, even after really good prep

Looks great though!

I plan on attempting to re-decal my TZ this summer, so I'm going to start picking people's brains now. What in particular sucked, and what (if anything) would you do differently the next time around? I'm dreading do it, but know that it will be so worth it once it's done.

#4191 6 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Looks great though!
I plan on attempting to re-decal my TZ this summer, so I'm going to start picking people's brains now. What in particular sucked, and what (if anything) would you do differently the next time around? I'm dreading do it, but know that it will be so worth it once it's done.

There's nothing I'd do different... unless I learn some new stuff for next time

I remove the old decal with a scrapper and a heat gun

I used citristrip to aid in removing the old glue, as well as a scrapper and razor blades

I used bondo to fill in the gouges and nicks in the wood

Take some masking tape and tap the wood with the sticky part of the tape to remove any unwanted debris

I cut a small hole in the start button area to give me some guidance...

I used rapid tac

I used a hand held squeegee with felt on its edge to not scratch the decal

I removed 1/4 of the decals backing and sprayed it with rapidtac and applied and adjusted the decal until it was in a good place, then removed the rest of the backing to stick on the rest of the decal.

I used an exacto knife and a straight edge to trim everything.

This all took about 3, 1 hour sessions to complete

I still need to touch up some black areas on the edges with some paint and a small tipped brush

... and there is still some debris in the decal that didn't get removed, that's the frustrating part, despite all the prep, you really need a clean room to do this in. When I did my last game I pulled the game into the kitchen, it's the largest cleanest room in the house and everything went better

#4193 6 years ago

I'm the proud new owner of my own #TZ. Working on getting everything on my machine running 100%. One question I have is where is the lamp above the mini-playfield supposed to sit and shine? Mine is shining just about over the top exit hole (where you want the ball to go to "defeat the power"). Is it supposed to shine more over the middle of the mini-playfield, toward the gumball machine exit or where mine is?

Where mine sits right now it creates a lot of glare off the plastic at the top of the mini-playfield and it just doesn't look quite right.

Thanks!

- Gblaz

#4194 6 years ago
Quoted from gblaz:

I'm the proud new owner of my own #TZ. Working on getting everything on my machine running 100%. One question I have is where is the lamp above the mini-playfield supposed to sit and shine? Mine is shining just about over the top exit hole (where you want the ball to go to "defeat the power"). Is it supposed to shine more over the middle of the mini-playfield, toward the gumball machine exit or where mine is?
Where mine sits right now it creates a lot of glare off the plastic at the top of the mini-playfield and it just doesn't look quite right.
Thanks!
- Gblaz

From photos in the original flyer it appears to be positioned around where yours is, perhaps a little lower. Myself, my game area is relatively well lit anyway so I have it moved back toward the gumball exit. It looks fine to me there, doesn't obscure anything or produce any glare.

#4195 6 years ago

You can try bending the lamp's mount and change the angle. Also, you can put in flex head LEFs and more easily point them where it is best.

#4196 6 years ago

I see that there are multiple sound ROMs for this game. What are the differences between them? Different quality of sound? Different sound clips?

#4197 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I see that there are multiple sound ROMs for this game. What are the differences between them? Different quality of sound? Different sound clips?

Where are you seeing multiple sound ROMs?

#4198 6 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

plan on attempting to re-decal my TZ this summer, so I'm going to start picking people's brains now. What in particular sucked, and what (if anything) would you do differently the next time around? I'm dreading do it, but know that it will be so worth it once it's done.

I've re-decaled 2 games now with TZ being the second, and everything Chosen_s said is really accurate. I didn't however, do mine "wet" with rapid tac, I did them dry because when doing the entire cabinet, I didn't want to have to wait for one side to dry before doing the other side. If you chose to do them dry, a "plug" panel for the coin door helps tremendously when doing the front.

I used a Bosch rotary sander very very similar to the festool sander to remove all the old decals, this process using 60 grit sandpaper. I guess the most important thing when doing decals is patience and preparation. Like Chosen_S said with bondo on the cabinet- make sure the cabinet is perfectly smooth, free of grain lines and nicks. T Hose things will stand out on a mostly black decaled game. THe other thing that's important is use a tack rag to wipe down the cab just before applying the decals. Try to do the decaling in a low-dust environment if you can. Don't do them outside.

Here are some photos of mi re-decal job on my TZ.

IMG_8001 (resized).JPGIMG_8001 (resized).JPG

IMG_7998 (resized).JPGIMG_7998 (resized).JPG

IMG_8002 (resized).JPGIMG_8002 (resized).JPG

IMG_8003 (resized).JPGIMG_8003 (resized).JPG

IMG_8009 (resized).JPGIMG_8009 (resized).JPG

IMG_8010 (resized).JPGIMG_8010 (resized).JPG

IMG_8027 (resized).JPGIMG_8027 (resized).JPG

IMG_8017 (resized).JPGIMG_8017 (resized).JPG

IMG_8020 (resized).JPGIMG_8020 (resized).JPG

IMG_8022 (resized).JPGIMG_8022 (resized).JPG

IMG_8023 (resized).JPGIMG_8023 (resized).JPG

IMG_8025 (resized).JPGIMG_8025 (resized).JPG

#4199 6 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I've re-decaled 2 games now with TZ being the second, and everything Chosen_s said is really accurate. I didn't however, do mine "wet" with rapid tac, I did them dry because when doing the entire cabinet, I didn't want to have to wait for one side to dry before doing the other side. If you chose to do them dry, a "plug" panel for the coin door helps tremendously when doing the front.
I used a Bosch rotary sander very very similar to the festool sander to remove all the old decals, this process using 60 grit sandpaper. I guess the most important thing when doing decals is patience and preparation. Like Chosen_S said with bondo on the cabinet- make sure the cabinet is perfectly smooth, free of grain lines and nicks. T Hose things will stand out on a mostly black decaled game. THe other thing that's important is use a tack rag to wipe down the cab just before applying the decals. Try to do the decaling in a low-dust environment if you can. Don't do them outside.
Here are some photos of mi re-decal job on my TZ.

Looks great!

#4200 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Where are you seeing multiple sound ROMs?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but when on IPDB it lists L-1, L-2 & P-3 sound ROMs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 132.00
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/84?hl=no_skill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.