IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 305.
#351 9 years ago

Doing some cleaning. I wonder if this happened during manufacture, or if someone use a bit too much persuasion?

IMG_2048.JPGIMG_2048.JPG
#352 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I am glad that Mantis scoops are available for people who need them. But if you can get your old scoop repaired that is certainly the way to go.
My game plays so much better with the original back in place.

In what way does the original scoop offer better play? Just wondering...

#353 9 years ago

See the distance in internal width in the pictures above.

The tighter tolerances of the "factory" scoop make for a tighter, better controlled ball eject path.

#354 9 years ago

I have found this discussion informative, but I must say that I've had no problem with my replacement scoop. I did keep the original just in case, but the new one is feeding the ball to the flipper just as it should.

#355 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I have found this discussion informative, but I must say that I've had no problem with my replacement scoop. I did keep the original just in case, but the new one is feeding the ball to the flipper just as it should.

Same with my new scoop. Perhaps we are the lucky ones.

#356 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I am glad that Mantis scoops are available for people who need them. But if you can get your old scoop repaired that is certainly the way to go.

The main reason I went with the Mantis scoop instead of re-welding my original is because the front left of the scoop had gotten pounded by the ball over the years, and it looked like crap. If it was just the weld points, I probably would have gotten it repaired.

#357 9 years ago

FWIW, I know mine has the support for behind the slot target (As well as the PR reinforced target) so appears to be a Mantis scoop and works fine here too.

#358 9 years ago

I just probably got a bad one somehow. I could never get the Mantis scoop to deliver the ball to the same spot twice. It was so wild that some balls would eject straight down the middle.
I tried everything I could think of to help. Velcro inside, bending with pliers, screw adjustments, nothing worked.
Got my old scoop re-welded and have been a happy camper ever since.

#359 9 years ago

My buddy Angry Jeff came over last night and played some games. He was a TZ hater like me until finally able to give it several hours of play time. Not his best game but:

#360 9 years ago

got mine up and working recently. i think the thing that i really like about it is that it has a very "sandbox" style of play. so many ways to go about getting points beyond just modes. i've gotten relay scores without even trying for any of the door panels, maybe ending up with 2-3 that just happened. anyone else feel the same way?

#361 9 years ago

Agree on the modes. Just so many ways to play or even just batting around the ball seems to be enough for the casual players.

#362 9 years ago

There really is always something to shoot for,

Fantastic machine, you can see why its rated as the best

#363 9 years ago

I'm trying to see how many modes I can stack, and THEN get multiball going!

#364 9 years ago

I was in the club, then out, then back in, then out again - and now I am back in again. Time to shop for some mods. No game is more fun to mod than this one! Thanks for a great thread filled with great photos and advice!

#365 9 years ago

I am officially hereby joining the club. Looks as if I've got me some reading to catch up on here! :]

Out with the old:
TheOld.JPGTheOld.JPG

In with the less old:
TheLessOld.JPGTheLessOld.JPG

-Jason

#366 9 years ago

Hello fellow TZ owners-

I would like to put a rocket mod on my TZ, but I want: 1.The best match to the playfield graphic, 2. A rocket with a lighted tail and 3.One that will not completely block my view of the upper right flipper and right spiral shot.

The Pinball Pro rocket looks to be the right size, has the lighted tail and does look like the playfield graphic, but does anyone else think it looks odd being white instead of silver? Anyone already buy the PP rocket and have an opinion? Maybe the white rocket looks better installed...if it was silver I would have already bought it.

The eBay seller from Spain has a very nice looking TZ rocket, but the price is a bit steep for a little plastic rocket. I was curious if anyone had taken the plunge on that expensive rocket mod and had an opinion? It appears to match the playfield perfectly, but not sure on quality.

For mods on my TZ, I have the gumballs, the PP piano mod, LED clock board and blue clock housing, backboard decal, polished chrome lockdown bar, side rails & legs, and a few choice LEDs. I think the rocket will be the last mod I add.

Thanks, Rob

#367 9 years ago

I have the one that sells for $39 on eBay. It works and looks just fine.

I am 6'6", so I have never not been able to see that flipper just fine. Perhaps others would have a problem, but the rocket is mounted on a thin wire that can easily be bent to suit you.

#368 9 years ago

I noticed something rather odd on my TZ, and I wonder if anyone else has had this (admittedly, very minor) issue. Every once in a while, the pin will not kick any balls into the shooter lane. Apparently, it is holding too many balls in the gumball machine. If I clear that out and restart, everything works perfectly. It did this only occasionally. (I would then push a ball up manually and eventually make a shot that cleared out the problem.) Perhaps there is a sensor (e.g., in the gumball machine) that isn't working optimally. The trough switches are all working perfectly. Anyway, now that I know the way around it, it's not a big deal, and it has not recurred since I discovered the (at least temporary) fix.

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I noticed something rather odd on my TZ, and I wonder if anyone else has had this (admittedly, very minor) issue. Every once in a while, the pin will not kick any balls into the shooter lane. Apparently, it is holding too many balls in the gumball machine. If I clear that out and restart, everything works perfectly. It did this only occasionally. (I would then push a ball up manually and eventually make a shot that cleared out the problem.) Perhaps there is a sensor (e.g., in the gumball machine) that isn't working optimally. The trough switches are all working perfectly. Anyway, now that I know the way around it, it's not a big deal, and it has not recurred since I discovered the (at least temporary) fix.

There os a opto in the vulk that shoots ball in gumball machine sounds like it may be acting up probably just needs solder reheated or cleaned ?or could be the switch after the gumball acting up I think it counts the balls also ?

#370 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There os a opto in the vulk that shoots ball in gumball machine sounds like it may be acting up probably just needs solder reheated or cleaned ?or could be the switch after the gumball acting up I think it counts the balls also ?

Thanks. I'll take a look back there when I get the chance. All I can guess is that it isn't always counting the balls accurately in the gumball machine since the trough is working correctly.

#371 9 years ago

FYI, there are no sensors inside the gumball machine for sensing balls.

There's the VUK, there's a gumball entry, and the switch by the gumball exit.

Nothing inside the machine, though.

The game has a setting for 2 or 3 balls in the gumball, and simply assumes that's what is in there.

If it needs to see if there are any balls in the gumball (ie: it's ball searching), it'll try to dispense a ball, then look for the gumball exit switch to close ... if it doesn't it knows there aren't any balls in the machine.

#372 9 years ago

Thanks. That's helpful info.

#373 9 years ago

I'm new to Pinside, but I've had my TZ for about 12 years.

I am considering putting LEDs in the back box. Who has them and did you do an interesting color combination to highlight the translite artwork? Would you post a photo of it with the translite on and off?

Also, I saw mention of an LED added to the piano and slot machine. Where is the best place to mount the lamps? Photos?

Thanks

#374 9 years ago

Ok so I wanna put a white face clock in whats the best one? Id also like a new color one or be able to reuse my original but don't you have to scrap it off and use the plastic ? Let me know my options please thax guys

#375 9 years ago

You will need to remove the old decal to use a new one.
Goo gone and a plastic razor is what I use to remove the residue after pulling a decal off.
Here is a new product that will allow you to easily change to either style:

ebay.com link: Bally Twilight Zone Pinball Machine BRAND NEW PETG 3 Piece CLOCK Plates

#376 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ok so I wanna put a white face clock in whats the best one? Id also like a new color one or be able to reuse my original but don't you have to scrap it off and use the plastic ? Let me know my options please thax guys

I ordered the white clock face from pinball decals along with the Vented Clear Clock Lens Plastic so I didn't have to mess with removing or cleaning up the old one.

http://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/TZ_Page.html

20140528_230033.jpg20140528_230033.jpg
#377 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ok so I wanna put a white face clock in whats the best one? Id also like a new color one or be able to reuse my original but don't you have to scrap it off and use the plastic ? Let me know my options please.

Jeff at Classic Arcades recently introduced some new clock faces with the art directly printed on them. I haven't seen them in person yet, but it's a very cool idea:

ebay.com link: Bally Twilight Zone Pinball Machine BRAND NEW PETG 3 Piece CLOCK Plates

#378 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Jeff at Classic Arcades recently introduced some new clock faces with the art directly printed on them. I haven't seen them in person yet, but it's a very cool idea:
ebay.com link » Bally Twilight Zone Pinball Machine Brand New Petg 3 Piece Clock Plates

I saw those after I had already purchased mine. I probably would have went that route had I seen it before ordering. Does anyone have a picture of those installed on their machine?

#379 9 years ago

Thats a good idea on ebay may go that route

#380 9 years ago

Here's Jeff's post about these. I'd order but I have all new clock everything. Great idea.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-product-tz-petg-direct-uv-printed-clock-faces

#381 9 years ago

I am officially in the club as of yesterday........what an awesome pin !!!

#382 9 years ago

I am not a owner yet but planning to buy one, tomorrow I am going to see one that is for sale.
What are the points specific to the TZ to look for before I buy?

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

I am not a owner yet but planning to buy one, tomorrow I am going to see one that is for sale.

Just the usual stuff you look for when buying a pin . Make sure the clock goes to 12 when u start a game and gumball machine functions properly. Make sure all the magnets work .

#384 9 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

Quoted from bigd1979:

Just the usual stuff you look for when buying a pin . Make sure the clock goes to 12 when u start a game and gumball machine functions properly. Make sure all the magnets work.

This is good advice. On top of this, you should closely examine the slot machine scoop to see if it is dented, or if any of the welds are broken. The target next to it often gets bent back. This causes the side of the scoop to be exposed and take a real pounding. Also, you should perform a clock test and make sure that all four optos are registering every time the interrupter on the minute hand passes through them. Lastly, make sure the bridge diverter is working properly. It has a tendency to get jammed on some machines. It should rest on the wireform, swing fully back when it dumps the ball, and then return back to its original position every time.

#385 9 years ago

I was going to say the slot welds but figured even if they were broken its a easy fix . Either buy a new one or get the original rewelded .

#386 9 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

I wouldn't let a broken clock or gumball machine stop me from buying a TZ. Those things can be fixed, pretty easily. For me, a good playfield and a non-hacked power board would be number one and two, although the power boards can be repaired or replaced too.

The slot scoop can also be replaced, but it's a real pain.

Look for discoloration, possible burn, around the magnets. It's not usually as big an issue as it is on TAF, but worth mentioning.

#387 9 years ago

If the deal is good enough, don't even worry about a broken clock or gumball machine. The one I bought had switch issues, buttons that didn't work, the DMD animations were wonky, and all sorts of little things just needed attention. But the cosmetic condition of everything is what sold me on mine. Well, that and I paid about $1200 less than what I probably should have. I had all that little stuff fixed in a few weeks and was enjoying my TZ to its fullest all on my own work and that makes it extra fun to play!

#388 9 years ago

New TZ owner. Got it in a week or so ago. Spent my spare time doing thorough cleaning/polishing/waxing/touchup/etc. before plugging it in & giving it a whirl. I have a few issues, which I bet are common ones, so I figure there are easy answers on the tips of your tongues! :]

1 - Robot ramp lock accepts the ball almost never. I think I got 2 locks out of a couple dozen solid shots. The ball seems to jump up as it enters the ramp & bounce right back out. I tried bending the "back" wall up or down to keep the ball in, but no dice. Suggestions? (I've got the angle & level dialed in--left-to-right lean is good, & the pitch bubble's nose is at the second line.)

2 - Diverter on cross ramp (that stops the ball before it enters The Power mini PF). Ball often bounces off if going too fast, or, after capture, when it releases, it often throws ball in a strange direction (back, up, on plastics, etc.). There was a weird piece of tape on this face when I got the machine, which I removed. Inspired by a "fix" I found online, I double-sticky taped a magnet to the assembly, on the face opposite where the ball rests. Recommended also to put a small pad or dot of tape or something on the face that the ball contacts? Also, during solenoid test, the "dump" motion is way more violent than it is during game play. Normal?

3 - When the autoplunge (to the left of the springy shooter lane) kicks out a ball & it loops around into the right orbit & comes down in front of the upper left flipper, if I don't flip the ball with that little flipper, it drains right down the middle of the bottom flippers. I bent the end of the metal guide that's just above the upper left flipper, & it directs the ball to the bottom right flipper now. Where is the ball supposed to go? Left or right flipper? Sometimes, on slower passes, it will bounce right, perhaps grazing the top of the upper left flipper.

4 - Sound. When I power up, there's a LOUD *bump* driven through the speakers. Occasionally, during gameplay or between games, the speakers spit out another loud *thump*, as if an amp is being switched on. I've got the game volume low (8).

Thanks,
-Jason

#390 9 years ago

Well first congrats on a great machine .on the diverter I had the sameissue and went and bought a super powerful magnet and put on with a washer inbetween and have been fine since with a occasional bounce out but im happy with the way it is.what magnet did you use? And im not sure if u should have put anything where theball hits theface of the diverter just have that bare .
Ahh the ramp lock ive tried things also but to no avale. Ill have a game where all go in and then have a game when most bounce out very frustrating but its common and due to abad design. I watched papa video where they had5 bounce outs in a row so its common. Hopefully I or someone can figure a fix out because its annoying.
When my auto shooter launches and I miss with the upper left it bounces to the upper right flipper most the time .
Not sure about your sound but something is not right id reseat the ribbon cables and check all connections again

1 week later
#391 9 years ago

Thanks, bigd1979. I've had me a few trials & tribulations with this TZ so far...the right flipper white plastic opto interruptor/"spring" snapped about 3 minutes after I got fed up w/ the robot lock ramp tuning & decided to just play it. Figures...

Got a replacement interruptor + added a spring steel flap.

Hooked the harness back up one pin off (no key in Molex connector!). Let the magic smoke out of the opto PCB.

Fashioned some keys for both flipper connectors so that I don't kill another.

Ordered a Great Lakes magnet flipper PCB. In the mail. *sigh*

Well, this down time has given me ample opportunity to:
- swap all rubbers
- swap most bulbs for LEDs (need to order some more--didn't have enough)
- tighten up some loose things here & there
- replaced all stationary switch foams
- fill the gumball machine w/ plastic balls (indeed, pushing in the first one is scary!)

As for the diverter magnet thing, I employed a used Sonicare toothbrush magnet. Those things are handy. Kinda gross after a tour of duty, but handy. Double-sided tape to the upper corner of the diverter, opposite from the face where the ball contacts. Seems to be well-behaved after 8 or so quick tests with various ball speeds. I have some beefier Neodymium magnets that I can try if needed.

Thanks,
-Jason

TZ Mag 1.JPGTZ Mag 1.JPG
TZ Mag 2.JPGTZ Mag 2.JPG

#392 9 years ago

TZ door panel mod. I am making 20 of these if anyone is interested let me know.
This is on a remote not interactive as i typically do.

#393 9 years ago

Hey Rock,

How was Despicable Me?

#394 9 years ago

I'm in finally its a sample too image.jpgimage.jpgimage-511.jpgimage-511.jpgimage-941.jpgimage-941.jpg

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Hey Rock,
How was Despicable Me?

I was wondering how long it would be for someone to notice. I do love those minions.

#396 9 years ago

hi guys...
i m restoring a TZ too...
what s the best place to get cab decals, best quality and price???
i m looking for picture of the metal bracket under the rocket plastic to make my own, or for the barcket itself if one of you has one spare...

thanks

#397 9 years ago

Man, I just had mine apart the other night! You're talking about that L-bracket that you use to adjust the aim on the rocket kickout to the hitchhiker, right?

Also, be careful on the cab decals. You can get them on eBay, but you need to make sure you get the right ones. There was a batch that was printed horribly wrong that people are still selling, trying to get rid of them. They look like this:

$_57.JPG$_57.JPG

....when it should actually look like this:

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG

Pretty big mistake if you ask me...

#398 9 years ago

Hurray!, I'm finally joining this club. Got myself a early model with the green lock insert, no cabinet fade and a perfect translite. It got a very nice playfield. The only downside is that it got minor planking (about 6 small lines) on the playfield. I paid about US$ 6000 for it. I'm really stoked, time to start modding!

#399 9 years ago

I have a question, when the powerball come in to play and it quickly drains, is it supposed to somehow be reloaded back into the gumball machine? or are you supposed to be able to play with it when it comes up in the regular ball ditch?

#400 9 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I have a question, when the powerball come in to play and it quickly drains, is it supposed to somehow be reloaded back into the gumball machine? or are you supposed to be able to play with it when it comes up in the regular ball ditch?

It will continue to be fed to you (Unless there's a regular ball that's ready to be fed next due to a ball lock or shooter lane) until you put it into the gumball machine during play. I like the idea as it keeps giving you chances especially for the casual players.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 132.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.