IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 305.
#3701 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

Had to show a few pictures of my TZ with the new black armor!
She's officially finished!

Very nice restoration, I'm glad mine inspired you to do the black armor. I think black armor is perfect for TZ. Now if I could only find me another one for as little as you did....(jealous)

#3702 7 years ago

Is ther any guideline as to when a powerball should be replaced or is it pretty much the same criteria as a steel ball? The powerball in my game is clearly older and not as white as it could be but there are no chips or gouges to speak of.

#3703 7 years ago

Has any had an issue with ball launches not making the full orbit? When I get a Ball Saved or Multiball, and the ball gets shot out, it looks to stop around this point shown in the photo. Note sure if it's the magnet, guides, or something else.

Also when I shoot the ball into lock, about 1 out of 3 times, it will roll back out. It sounds like it's hitting something metal before it pops back out.

Any help would be appreciated

IMG_20170410_160931 (resized).jpgIMG_20170410_160931 (resized).jpg

#3704 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Is ther any guideline as to when a powerball should be replaced or is it pretty much the same criteria as a steel ball? The powerball in my game is clearly older and not as white as it could be but there are no chips or gouges to speak of.

The discussion really changes when the cost of a ball changes from $1 to $40. To complicate this further, some people are measuring that newer replacement powerballs play differently than the original powerball: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-powerball-original

I'm going to weight my original powerball and report back.

#3705 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

The discussion really changes when the cost of a ball changes from $1 to $40. To complicate this further, some people are measuring that newer replacement powerballs play differently than the original powerball: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-powerball-original
I'm going to weight my original powerball and report back.

Yeah, if the original is fine, looking at $40+ for a single ball gives some pause. I wouldn't mind having a spare on hand but feels high.

#3706 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Has any had an issue with ball launches not making the full orbit? When I get a Ball Saved or Multiball, and the ball gets shot out, it looks to stop around this point shown in the photo. Note sure if it's the magnet, guides, or something else.
Also when I shoot the ball into lock, about 1 out of 3 times, it will roll back out. It sounds like it's hitting something metal before it pops back out.
Any help would be appreciated

Spoke to previous owner, and he mentioned that this was normal for him regarding the Lock issue. From videos I've watched, it should not be doing this.

Ball is still not completing an orbit. Curious to know if anyone has experienced this or knows a fix.

#3707 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Spoke to previous owner, and he mentioned that this was normal for him regarding the Lock issue. From videos I've watched, it should not be doing this.
Ball is still not completing an orbit. Curious to know if anyone has experienced this or knows a fix.

When you observe the ball as it gets launched, does it appear that the ball is hitting anything or getting snagged anywhere (trajectory changes, sudden speed changes)? How are the mechanics of the auto plunger? Mech moves freely?

#3708 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Yeah, if the original is fine, looking at $40+ for a single ball gives some pause. I wouldn't mind having a spare on hand but feels high.

Some people have had good results cleaning their powerball, but I've always hesitated to do so since the owner's manual says not to do so.

I can't really see how it'd hurt to clean it with something non-abrasive and non-caustic or non-alcoholic. I don't think there was a special coating on those things. I haven't cleaned mine yet, but mainly because it's not that dirty and I like the pearlescent look to it.

#3709 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Has any had an issue with ball launches not making the full orbit?

I also get perhaps 1 out of 10 autolaunched balls end up rattling enough in the orbit such that it falls back down the right orbit.

Quoted from Damien:

This is normal and a common complaint: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-definitive-twilight-zone-lock-shot-fix-thread

#3710 7 years ago

For the powerball, being 'grey' has no affect on playing; it's purely cosmetic. I've never tried cleaning mine. While $40 isn't a drop in the hat, getting a new one every three years or so (seems to be the time limit before mine turns really steel-pinball dark), it's nothing huge. Especially when compared to, like, the cost of 40 LEDs.

Quoted from Damien:

Is the kicker weak, or is the kicker sending out the ball at a good velocity, and the the ball seems to hit something or bounce around?

#3711 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

For the powerball, being 'grey' has no affect on playing; it's purely cosmetic. I've never tried cleaning mine.

I spent some time trying to manually clean the powerball (with Novus). That accomplished almost nothing after 15 minutes of hand polishing. Aside from tumbling it, I think the only other option is to buy a new one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-powerball

#3712 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I spent some time trying to manually clean the powerball (with Novus). That accomplished almost nothing after 15 minutes of hand polishing. Aside from tumbling it, I think the only other option is to buy a new one.

I'll pay US$ 5 for your old dirty one...

#3713 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Check for continuity on the two leads the wires are connected to. If you press the button and it has continuity that means the button is good and your problem is in the wiring somewhere.
If you don't have continuity when you press the button then you can try spraying inside the button with contact cleaner, wiggling the switch back and forth a bunch of times, checking other leads on the switch and possibly moving one of the wires to a lead that is showing the correct results.

Thanks for the tip!! The switch has connectivity and I unplugged J205 and built a jumper and was able to get the enter to work that way (thanks to the person that posted the wikipin link to how to test these switches!) so for sure the wiring is the issue as you suggest. Since all the other switches work do you know if that means it has to be the Orange and not the ground or could it be either or? Nothing seemed obviously loose so any tips on tracing this out? Really appreciate all your guys help on this site! Thanks!

#3714 7 years ago

Quick documentation on a diagnostic process (for those non tech types to know what goes on in the head of a tech fumbling his way through):

1. Test report showed all but one of my EOS switches was out on TZ.

2. Not being super familiar with the WPC switch matrix... to the manual! EOS switches are dedicated and go to J906 on the fliptronic board, this will be easy to test... to the jumper cables..

3. Hookup to the indicated switch ground (pin 6 - orange wire) and tap each pin on J906 with switch edge test on... they all work (*phew*)... to the high power flashlight.

4. The common wire is Ground (orange), follow from switch to switch (not being sure the order they were wired in) and finally... bingo!

Well there's yer problem...

Power off, cleanup wire, quick dab of fresh solder... good as new. Time to play a game.

IMG_5222 (resized).JPGIMG_5222 (resized).JPG

#3715 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I also get perhaps 1 out of 10 autolaunched balls end up rattling enough in the orbit such that it falls back down the right orbit.

This is normal and a common complaint: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-definitive-twilight-zone-lock-shot-fix-thread

Thanks for the link. I tried putting magnetic tape along both sides, but no improvement.

I guess I have to try mounting the other magnet to draw it in more.

As for the autolauncher, it does seem to hit something an rattle. Can't quite figure out what it is. Maybe have to record it in slow motion. Seems to happen about 1/3 times.

#3716 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

Just suits it so much! The black cab art blends in so well to the trim/armor.

#3717 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Has anyone tumbled theirs? Does it dull the shiny finish?

#3718 7 years ago

Wish I could remember what I cleaned my Powerball with. The difference was DRAMATIC! I remember it was quick and easy. The gray came right off and it has looked great ever since.

#3719 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Wish I could remember what I cleaned my Powerball with. The difference was DRAMATIC! I remember it was quick and easy. The gray came right off and it has looked great ever since.

For me polishing with chrome polish worked great to clean the power ball.

#3720 7 years ago

You know, I bet that if I put the powerball in my tumbler with some water and FITZ chrome polish and let it go overnight it would come out great.

#3721 7 years ago

the ball is ceramic right? what about hydrogen peroxide, or diluted muriatic acid... maybe treat it as if it is a piece of ceramic tile?

#3722 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

the ball is ceramic right? what about hydrogen peroxide, or diluted muriatic acid... maybe treat it as if it is a piece of ceramic tile?

Wow What I love about being in this club is that this is by far the most techinical one... So, it means that most of the time I don't understand shit of what you guys are saying... even if it's only about a ball now

And what about plain water?

#3723 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Anyone have an old powerball lying around to try this?

http://lifehacker.com/5881940/use-flour-and-peroxide-to-clean-stains-in-stone-countertops-tile-and-concrete-floors

#3724 7 years ago
#3725 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

She's officially finished!

I inquired with a local place and for $140 I can get the legs, coin door, hinges, shooter housing, lock bar and rails done in black.

Never took off side rails, hope I don't damage them. Will use a putty knife.

Debating whether to put on new cab decals. Mine are in good shape except for some wrinkling around the legs. I just don't have a lot of hours to spend doing all the prep.

#3726 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I inquired with a local place and for $140 I can get the legs, coin door, hinges, shooter housing, lock bar and rails done in black.
Debating whether to put on new cab decals. Mine are in good shape except for some wrinkling around the legs. I just don't have a lot of hours to spend doing all the prep.

Isn't your coin door already black?

#3727 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Isn't your coin door already black?

Yes, but it's a bit beat up and the cost of having it redone and match the other components in texture is minimal.

#3728 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I just did a full set of decals on earth shaker, I would say about five hours of prep time , Most of it was scraping the old decals off, and then scraping the old glue off, then dry time , Plus, the playfield has to come out. And if you're going that route, you might as will touch up all of the black paint in the head, that will add even more time.

#3729 7 years ago

Is this faint red Williams "W" on my TZ speaker panel normal?

IMG_9784 (resized).JPGIMG_9784 (resized).JPG

#3730 7 years ago

No.
No TZs had that. It's a Bally game (and despite being the same company, AFAIK they didn't 'mix' brands like that..)

Your speaker grills were taking from something else.

Amusing, and if it don't bother you, I'd keep it..

#3731 7 years ago

I have a really nice TZ, color dmd, original cabinet,which is bright, lots of mods , leds,chrome, I'm in the bay area ,playfield is beautiful, thinking of selling , Hate craigs list, looking for a aerosmith LE ? I can add cash ,
Will sell outright but don't have time to deal with tire kickers,

#3732 7 years ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I stretch over the arm of a wooden chair for a few hours. Sometimes they go on easier than other times. Its strange. Also start at the narrow end not the large end.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice.I have left the old rubbers on because I could not get the damn bands on without pulling so hard I was worried about ripping the flipper off.

#3733 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Amusing, and if it don't bother you, I'd keep it..

yeah, it's pretty cool... i will look at the right one to see if it has it too next time I think about it!!

#3734 7 years ago

it looks to be from either: Whitewater, fish tales or getaway HS 2

#3735 7 years ago

Little awkward, but I'm new to the site, and figured I'd make my first post here since TZ is my favorite pin. I'm an arcade collector, and in the market for my first pin (which will be a TZ). Looking forward to learning all I can.

#3736 7 years ago
Quoted from Vin:

Little awkward, but I'm new to the site, and figured I'd make my first post here since TZ is my favorite pin. I'm an arcade collector, and in the market for my first pin (which will be a TZ). Looking forward to learning all I can.

Not a bad first post! Welcome! An arcade collector here too! Don't be surprised if you end up with 3 or more pins in the next month, hehe

#3737 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Not a bad first post! Welcome! An arcade collector here too! Don't be surprised if you end up with 3 or more pins in the next month, hehe

I planned for 1 arcade cabinet, and it turned into a collection. My plan is to purchase 1 pin, but I'm already eyeing other pins. It's a sickness.

#3738 7 years ago

That it is. For me after getting into pinball collecting the arcade games went by the wayside. I still have a few but been meaning to get of of em.

Anyway.. question on the shooter lane divider.... my wife kept getting balls stuck on the top of the divider and there was no way to dislodge it without a tilt. Basically a plunge with not quite enough to completely clear the gate and your ball is over. Is that normal? My solution was to simply wedge a post sleve into the front of the divider up there at the gate which seems pretty effective. But I was wondering what is proper for that spot.

#3739 7 years ago
Quoted from Vin:

in the market for my first pin (which will be a TZ).

Pretty large step for first pinball machine. A properly working TZ is a sight to behold, and easy to maintain, but when they have multiple problems, they can be a S.O.B. to diagnose.... One thing's for sure, cutting your teeth on this title will prepare you for most all other machines!

#3740 7 years ago
Quoted from Vin:

My first pin was a TZ that I bought about 1 year ago. Absolutely 0 buyer's remorse.

Take your time and find a solid machine. There a lots of TZ's out there.

Also, be sure to read Vid's guides, especially this one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#3741 7 years ago
Quoted from Vin:

Welcome!
TZ was the first game I ever owned. Originally being an operator/tech, TZ was one of the few games at the time that I really 'got into'. I have a couple pins now, but also have a few arcades as well. (Driving games, video, redemption, changer, etc.)

Quoted from merccat:

Anyway.. question on the shooter lane divider.... my wife kept getting balls stuck on the top of the divider and there was no way to dislodge it without a tilt. Basically a plunge with not quite enough to completely clear the gate and your ball is over. Is that normal? My solution was to simply wedge a post sleve into the front of the divider up there at the gate which seems pretty effective. But I was wondering what is proper for that spot.

Okay, little clarification needed - are you meaning the *gate* up at the skillshot and leading to the rocket, or are you meaning the diverter at the entrance to the autofire kicker?

If the former, try adjusting it - loosen the two screws on the underside of the PF and the screw on top, and shift it, see if that helps.

For the record, mine USED to work perfect - never got balls hung up. However, after clearcoating the PF, the thickness and reassembly now causes one in maybe 100 balls to get stuck. (Used to be more, I had to mess with it..)

#3742 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, little clarification needed - are you meaning the *gate* up at the skillshot and leading to the rocket, or are you meaning the diverter at the entrance to the autofire kicker?
If the former, try adjusting it - loosen the two screws on the underside of the PF and the screw on top, and shift it, see if that helps.

Oh yeah, sorry. Yes the gate up by the rocket, not the diverter. A skill shot attempt with just the right amount of foce will go under the gate but not completely through and end up sitting on top of the divider between thr autoplunge lane and the shooter lane. As the divider is open up there it cradles the ball pretty good and it takes a tilt to dislodge it.

Cramming the post sleve into there seems to pretty well solved it as the ball no longer has a chance to roll that way without first completely clearing the gate but wondering if its at all common or what solutions are preferred.

#3743 7 years ago

Replaced the grody cardboard under the mini playfield with new white abs.

The white will reflect the new LED lights nicer and will give a nice secondary bounce light under the mini playfield, you can use black abs for a different effect and it will absorb allot of the light, you could also scuff up the abs for a softer bounce light, but I didn't.

Used a Dremel with a circle band sanding bit to shape it perfectly and quickly after cutting the basic form with an nt cutter. The holes where drilled with a 3mm wood bit.

I can draw the cutout as a template you can just stick onto a piece of abs ?

I used abs because it's thin, strong and flexible.

IMG_0810 (resized).JPGIMG_0810 (resized).JPG

IMG_0807 (resized).JPGIMG_0807 (resized).JPG

IMG_0811 (resized).JPGIMG_0811 (resized).JPG

IMG_0812 (resized).JPGIMG_0812 (resized).JPG

IMG_0804 (resized).JPGIMG_0804 (resized).JPG

IMG_0808 (resized).JPGIMG_0808 (resized).JPG

IMG_0809 (resized).JPGIMG_0809 (resized).JPG

#3744 7 years ago

I like that. Where did you get the plastic sheet?

#3745 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Replaced the grody cardboard under the mini playfield with new white abs

nice job. I did mine in acrylic. I like seeing the light shine under the mini play field a little.

#3746 7 years ago

NICE!!! OK time for someone to laser cut those bad boys! I'm in for one...

#3747 7 years ago

It takes five minutes to make

I got the abs from a plastic manufacturer, you only need slightly bigger than A4 so sometimes they just give you a sample for free, this piece cost me 12 South African rand so in dollars that about 80 cents

#3748 7 years ago

Just installed these blue led buttons from pinball life

The blue is out of the gamut range of my phones camera, so it looks better in life

The kit was easy and you can set the fade rate in the blink/twinkling or just have it on, and change the brightness from a little built in controller switch.

I matched the blink cycle rate to the intro stars if the tv show eventually - yeah I'm that guy

IMG_0815 (resized).JPGIMG_0815 (resized).JPG

IMG_0817 (resized).JPGIMG_0817 (resized).JPG

IMG_0818 (resized).JPGIMG_0818 (resized).JPG

IMG_0831 (resized).JPGIMG_0831 (resized).JPG

IMG_0833 (resized).JPGIMG_0833 (resized).JPG

#3749 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I like that. Where did you get the plastic sheet?

My local plastic supplier for industrial signage, maizys plastics herein South Africa

It's technically abs , normal plastic will melt and/or crack and get brittle

Abs is used in the signage industry, it's cheap and versatile

#3750 7 years ago

What thickness did you use?

It looks like Ebay has plenty of suppliers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 1,059.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.