IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,224 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 305.
#3201 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

All that does it light them all up, so that hitting them awards 10 million. It is not a 'mode', just lights them up.
If that's what you're seeing, then that's correct.

That is what I'm seeing so that's great.
Thanks so much. Appreciate the reply.
Nath

#3202 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The robots are pretty rare and not $10.

Different maker, different style Robbie.

My point was that someone will take this cheap(but cool) $10 one, when it comes out in May, and throw some LEDs in it and charge a crazy amount of money for it.

#3203 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Different maker, different style Robbie.
My point was that someone will take this cheap(but cool) $10 one, when it comes out in May, and throw some LEDs in it and charge a crazy amount of money for it.

I know, I was just being a little facetious, it's all good.

#3204 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Awesome! Sadly, though, within a month after those ship out, we'll see them with about 5 LEDs added to them, mounted to a clear plastic piece, and selling on pinball sites for $140.

im going to make my own

#3205 7 years ago

I am going to get the mount bracket from Cliffy, then follow this tut to wire up the Amazon Robbie Robot http://www.edcheung.com/album/album08/pinball/tz2.htm

#3206 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I got this as part of a deal from a guy who got it from an operator around 1994.
I know NOS powerballs, especially with original packaging are rare but are they really $150 now? Looking at ebay.

I personally think the marbled one is more rare and was only found in the earlier games, at least that's what the seller (Me) is trying to imply!

For any1 on pinside I'll trade it for a set of WPC mirror blades or a Big Shot DD figure!

GEDC0230 (resized).JPGGEDC0230 (resized).JPG

GEDC0232 (resized).JPGGEDC0232 (resized).JPG

GEDC0233 (resized).JPGGEDC0233 (resized).JPG

#3207 7 years ago

I got this one from an early sample game with the extra magnet, and I know it's 100% real!

#3208 7 years ago

...Documented known TZ sample game with marbled powerball see picture #44

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sample-tz?gallery#g

#3209 7 years ago

Powerballs were always white. They "turn" marbled after use and when they get dirty.

I have three "marbled" Powerballs that I've kept when I got new ones.

The only other color originally designed for TZ was the initial blue ones...

#3210 7 years ago

What are you talking about dude this is as new as it gets, and is marbled ceramic material with not a scratch on it.

#3211 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

What are you talking about dude this is as new as it gets, and is marbled ceramic material with not a scratch on it.

Yup, you're right. I have NO idea what I'm talking about.

Good luck with that trade there.

#3212 7 years ago

Well lets see some pics of these 3 balls then, I guess it's possible it's used it looks new as could possibly be to me. At least I'm sure its original the pearl white repop one is 65 grams.

#3213 7 years ago

Ceramic balls are "fired" like clay products, under intense heat, to cure the material. Then they are ground between two abrasive plates until the size is reached. Then polished under those parallel plates, in a bath of oil.

If there is any impurity in the material, it would burn off during the firing process. Impurities would show up as dark patches or inclusions. The firing process makes the material a pearly-white with no coloring.

Try using a toothbrush with Comet cleanser on the ball - I'd guess it'd take the dark areas right off. I'm pretty sure they boil the ceramic in an acid to clean it.

#3214 7 years ago

Throw it in a tumbler with walnut material if you're sure it's designed that way with the marbling; same effect as the comet with a lot less work!

#3215 7 years ago

The new owner can mess with it I think its clean certainly not yellowed like others I've seen, can someone else confirm they have balls like like this with a picture please so I can change my listings, if it is dirty I'm sure it will clean up nicely.

#3216 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

The new owner can mess with it I think its clean certainly not yellowed like others I've seen, can someone else confirm they have balls like like this with a picture please so I can change my listings, if it is dirty I'm sure it will clean up nicely.

Coyote is the local expert and he already weighed in. Further confirmation would be redundant.

#3217 7 years ago

Well thought I had something special here...now I DO have blue balls lol

Powerball-Twilight-Zone-pinball-000 (resized).JPGPowerball-Twilight-Zone-pinball-000 (resized).JPG

#3218 7 years ago

From what I read the safest way to clean ceramic is using baking soda, water and white vinegar in equal parts then let it soak for 2 hours and shes good as new.

#3219 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

...Documented known TZ sample game with marbled powerball see picture #44
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sample-tz?gallery#g

That's my powerball. I'm 99% sure that it is dirty and thanks for the recipe for cleaning it!

#3220 7 years ago

Last two art pieces, $100 each. Looks great next to your game. PM me if interested! Thanks

IMG_20170201_203033 (resized).jpgIMG_20170201_203033 (resized).jpg

#3221 7 years ago

Made a custom magnet for the top ramp and it cost practically nothing.

Got two cheap cupboard magnets, a piece of 3M double sided tape that I use for my go pro mounts.

Fits like a glove in the space and works really well. I decided to go for two for shits and giggles but as a result the ball comes to a complete stop on the ramp, it looks a bit eerie the way it does, as it just looses all its momentum and does not bounce at all.

Dead stop, until the tip over

IMG_0021 (resized).JPGIMG_0021 (resized).JPG

IMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0020 (resized).JPG

IMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPG

IMG_0052 (resized).JPGIMG_0052 (resized).JPG

IMG_0053 (resized).JPGIMG_0053 (resized).JPG

IMG_0049 (resized).JPGIMG_0049 (resized).JPG

#3222 7 years ago

Great idea!

#3223 7 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Made a custom magnet for the top ramp and it cost practically nothing.
Got two cheap cupboard magnets, a piece of 3M double sided tape that I use for my go pro mounts.
Fits like a glove in the space and works really well. I decided to go for two for shits and giggles but as a result the ball comes to a complete stop on the ramp, it looks a bit eerie the way it does, as it just looses all its momentum and does not bounce at all.
Dead stop, until the tip over

Nice to see we're back on track on this TZ thread.... for a moment I was thinking to be trapped in the "market zone"....

#3224 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

At least I'm sure its original the pearl white repop one is 65 grams.

Wrong again.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-powerball-original

The new ones will look identical to the old ones if you gave them 20 years to age and never cleaned them. It has to do with the occlusions in the ceramic when it's compressed. The new ones are made the same way, just with a slightly different compound, which makes them a tiny bit lighter in some cases. Since the originals were most likely all made at one time, fulfilling one large order from B/W, they all probably weigh the same. The new ones will most likely vary in weight from batch to batch and from supplier to supplier.

And no, I don't want a chocolate covered pretzel...

#3225 7 years ago

Amazing TZ Litho Art, Artist Proofs, by Tom Whalen! I have these two for sale, $100 each, framed! The Invaders and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. Send a PM for one or both! Comes from my former TZ pinball room, would look great in yours!

IMG_20170201_203033 (resized).jpgIMG_20170201_203033 (resized).jpg

#3226 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Wrong again.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-powerball-original
The new ones will look identical to the old ones if you gave them 20 years to age and never cleaned them. It has to do with the occlusions in the ceramic when it's compressed. The new ones are made the same way, just with a slightly different compound, which makes them a tiny bit lighter in some cases. Since the originals were most likely all made at one time, fulfilling one large order from B/W, they all probably weigh the same. The new ones will most likely vary in weight from batch to batch and from supplier to supplier.
And no, I don't want a chocolate covered pretzel...

Are you sure lol

I decided to keep mine, It's sentimental to me. I've had it since my 1st pin the Paragon and it's been in every game since! Mine rounded off is 63 grams, and I'm surprised to see the new ones are 59 grams since Marco states there 65 grams??? Can anybody weigh there known original powerballs and chime in, COME ON GUYS LETS WEIGH THOSE BALLS! haha

GEDC0240 (resized).JPGGEDC0240 (resized).JPG

#3227 7 years ago

I would weigh mine, I can even weigh the blue one. But I don't have a scale.

Actually, thinking about it.. there's a thread here on Pinside where I think ball shave been weighed already.

Honestly, with as much as I know about the game itself, I don't think the weight is that important.

#3228 7 years ago

Oh you have a blue one very cool man, I was going to try and find 2 more or spring for the Marco repop ones but if they really are 59 grams then I'd rather try and find 2 more original powerballs. I had a glow ball from a Night viper I gave to the dude who got my Paragon and that weighed 60 grams and I couldn't play it, it was just too fast and really noticeable on a widebody like that.

#3229 7 years ago

TZ assembly line!

#3230 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

TZ assembly line!
» YouTube video

Interesting. The clips range from whitewood to prototype (can tell via clock face and red 'Camera' insert) to samples ('spiral' sign in gumball sign location) and then production games. All of them are covered there. Neat.

#3231 7 years ago

Hey thought I would try and make up for my earlier blunder lol please join my Facebook page with tons of re-posted vintage footage and documentaries all in one place!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529515124038768/

#3232 7 years ago

Can't wait to get my new Rainbow lite clock board from Ingo, to finally get rid of that intermittent clock error message

#3233 7 years ago

Has anyone tried that Pinpoint trough upgrade sensor Marcos sells to get rid of that trough 26 code error

#3234 7 years ago

Anybody done LED star posts with the GLM low profile powerfield switch kits? I was thinking it would be sweet to have the powerfield light up whenever the switches are hit. Wondering where to tap in for powering the LED star posts...

#3235 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Anybody done LED star posts with the GLM low profile powerfield switch kits? I was thinking it would be sweet to have the powerfield light up whenever the switches are hit. Wondering where to tap in for powering the LED star posts...

I'm interested in doing this same thing to mine. Would be cool to see a tutorial of sorts, including how to wire the LED chips under the posts

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it has to utilize this board, but wiring it up is what would be nice to see

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/images/splint21a.jpg

#3236 7 years ago

I would like to start putting some LED's in my TZ. I was thinking of starting with the GI lights. I am a newbie when it comes to mods. I am slowly learning. Would putting in some LEDs in the GI a good and fairly benign way to start? I was thinking of getting the frosted bulbs. Any suggestions on type of bulbs. Thanks

#3237 7 years ago

Replacing bulbs with LEDs is probably the best plan as far as learning - just know that most of the time the LED bulbs have to be inserted in only one direction - if one doesnt work, take it out and rotate it around.

A lot of folks seem to prefer frosted - i think that's the standard approach for a bulb which is visible above plastics - for those underneath inserts or playfield plastics you can do clear ones. Experiment!

TZ looks really good with LEDs, although you may wish to keep some of the flashers as incandescent - sometimes they can be pretty blinding

#3238 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

I would like to start putting some LED's in my TZ. I was thinking of starting with the GI lights. I am a newbie when it comes to mods. I am slowly learning. Would putting in some LEDs in the GI a good and fairly benign way to start? I was thinking of getting the frosted bulbs. Any suggestions on type of bulbs. Thanks

Depends on your taste.

Some guys like to go all out, make it bright or shocking in color, or have spotlights lighting up different playfield areas.
Other guys (like myself), try to keep the game as 'normal' and 'factory fresh' as possible. So, like on my game, unless you pay close attention, you wouldn't be able to tell it's LEDed. I used warm white frosted in all GI to spread the light as close to incandescent as possible.

#3239 7 years ago

New cover!

IMG_20170213_194410 (resized).jpgIMG_20170213_194410 (resized).jpg

#3240 7 years ago

Thanks very much. I will start with the GI bulbs and see how it goes. It would be nice to get a little more light on the playfield.

#3241 7 years ago

I like led's in the inserts and incandescent for the GI. LED makes the inserts pop.

#3242 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Interesting. The clips range from whitewood to prototype (can tell via clock face and red 'Camera' insert) to samples ('spiral' sign in gumball sign location) and then production games. All of them are covered there. Neat.

I love that video. I've watched it many times over the years and every time it makes me curious about how the game would've played with the colored clock inserts tied to the modes of the inserts between the flippers. I've heard and read very little about that feature as it was scrapped fairly early in development.

Among the differently colored inserts on the whitewood, I noticed the 500,000 insert on the mini playfield is blue. Perhaps one of the goals of the blue colored section of the clock?

#3243 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

I like led's in the inserts and incandescent for the GI. LED makes the inserts pop.

Hmm, That is a very interesting thought. Would you put white LEDs in the inserts or match the color of the bulb to the color of the insert?

#3244 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Hmm, That is a very interesting thought. Would you put white LEDs in the inserts or match the color of the bulb to the color of the insert?

I color matched most of them in mine. I also used yellow LEDs under the orange inserts because orange LEDs made the color too intense and very similar to the red inserts. Yellow was just right.

Oh yeah, be sure to get extra bulbs because you'll likely want to try different arrangements. I used some blue and purple in certain GI locations to complement the artwork nearby.

#3245 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

I did LED star posts on the mini-playfield that are constantly lit with GI and the upper star posts flash brighter with the mini-playfield flasher, the lower left star posts flash brighter when the left magnaflip is activated, and the lower right star posts flash brighter when the right magnaflip is activated. I made M-F adaptors that plugged between 2 sets of the connectors under the mini-playfield to get all the power connections I needed. I think it would be pretty straight forward to do something similar using the low profile switches to control the flash on the LED star post lights.

#3246 7 years ago

I put warm white, clear domed LEDs in all my inserts. Mainly because there are several different reds and oranges used (i.e. 'SPECIAL' outliane and 'LOCK 1' and 'LOCK 2' inserts are different red) and color-coding made them all the same color. So I went with warm white in all (save for my green LOCK insert..)

#3247 7 years ago

I colour matched the inserts. Be sure to check with bulb is required 44 or 555 some need flex. I'm sure you will want to led your flashers as well.

#3248 7 years ago

I am new to collecting (less than a year) but have fallen in love with TZ. It is a close second to WOZ for my favorite pin and I own two; an all original in great condition and a heavily modded with LEDs, color DMD and tons of extras and refinishes. This an amazing game!

I am thinking about powder coating all of the metal on my modded version with dark blue base and black powder!

#3249 7 years ago

I think I may be heading down to my local print shop to have this printed. It'd be fun to put in my TZ for when I take it to another show and let people try and figure out why it's in there and when my game was made and all that other fun stuff!

TZColorClock (resized).jpgTZColorClock (resized).jpg

#3250 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I think I may be heading down to my local print shop to have this printed. It'd be fun to put in my TZ for when I take it to another show and let people try and figure out why it's in there and when my game was made and all that other fun stuff!

LMAO

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1,059.00
$ 14.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,224 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.