IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 305.
#2451 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

Oh, sorry - where I said EOS, replace with opto
(actually, can apparently edit myself)
It has been a while since I've worked on a pinball machine. I did a bit when a first bought it and really nothing since then until a week ago

That's okay, apparently my phone likes to correct "problem" with "offsite"..
In either case, if both flippers activate with out issue, no need to worry. You can clean them, but optos are either open or closed - and the bottom flipped should activate first.

#2452 7 years ago

Hey folks, I recently picked up a nice TZ and am blinging it out with mods and LEDs.

I have an issue with the slot machine scoop breaking the plastic above it when hit hard with a ball. Is there a fix or mod for this? I don't want to install the new plastic and have it break in the 1st game.

#2453 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I have an issue with the slot machine scoop breaking the plastic above it when hit hard with a ball. Is there a fix or mod for this?

Hmmm...no mod I'm aware of...sounds like maybe it isn't connected correctly. Pics of the area in question?

#2454 7 years ago

Here are my flippers if anyone has advice for the left one other than rebuilding it:

leftflipper_(resized).jpgleftflipper_(resized).jpg

rightflipper_(resized).jpgrightflipper_(resized).jpg

#2455 7 years ago

TZ has normally open EOS? Jesus...I've been jumping around eras too much lately.

#2456 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm...no mod I'm aware of...sounds like maybe it isn't connected correctly. Pics of the area in question?

Don't tighten the plastic down as much. It died NOT have to be so tight they it's fixed hard into place. If it can move a little, it will help it flex when it's hit by a ball or metal part.

#2457 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Don't tighten the plastic down as much.

Yup that's a classic one. All my plastics move around a ton...guys I promise you it will be OK and you'll never notice it

#2458 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

Problem #8: The extra ball button was a disaster.

Get a new one for $7.55

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9663-9

#2459 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I have an issue with the slot machine scoop breaking the plastic above it when hit hard with a ball.

Is there a broken weld, letting the top of the scoop flex if you push up on it?

#2460 7 years ago

My_twilight_zone_ramps_remake_(resized).JPGMy_twilight_zone_ramps_remake_(resized).JPGMy_twilight_zone_ramps_remake_(resized).JPGMy_twilight_zone_ramps_remake_(resized).JPG
Hello pinsiders I was looking desperately for all three subway ramps and found these from a guy who remade them a few years ago ,but I was lucky and found them NOS and got them and I have these never used ,If somebody is interested they fit perfectly but not all three align on the original mounting holes and some holes need to be added extra to mount the ramps (Not a big deal).
Pm me if interested and your best offer for some super rare ramps that are not anymore available.

#2461 7 years ago

So...I have a really nice TAF currently on the market that I am selling to hopefully buy a nice TZ. It dawned on me that I should just throw out a trade offer to you fine folks in the TZ club as someone who would like to be a future member!

Your TZ for my TAF...who's interested?

Please PM me if interested and we can work out any +/- cash situations if they make sense.

Here's a link to my TAF:

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Fully shopped/refurbished - “I've decided to put my favorite machine up for sale to hopefully fund a new pin for my small collection of 3. It's in great condition (details below) with no credit dot and everyth...”
2016-08-12
Vienna, VA
6,375 (Firm)
Archived after: 23 days
Viewed: 1258 times
Contributed to Pinside

#2462 7 years ago

Joined the club last week and having a blast learning about the game! I'm only on page 12 of this thread so have a ways to go.

IMG_5987 (resized).JPGIMG_5987 (resized).JPG

#2463 7 years ago

Please help- serious flasher problem. In the middle of an led switch and was testing them when two flashers were "stuck on". One melted in half. Any ideas??

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2464 7 years ago

Shorted to ground, or transistor blew.

Those are controlled by the 8-driver pcb in the backbox. Check that it's connected right. (Ribbon cable, mostly.)

#2465 7 years ago

Well main ground in back of wasn't screwed down. Probably not good. Just got the game. What else should I check?

#2466 7 years ago

This one wasn't screwed down. Would that be my culprit?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2467 7 years ago

So I rebuilt my left flipper and... oh my. The ball absolutely explodes off of the bat now. It no longer takes a miracle to get into the lock lane or up the right ramp and I am a little worried about the beat-down I putting on the clock and slot machine targets. Wow! I should have done this when I got the machine 10 years ago - it hasn't ever played this well (at least since I have owned it). Now my bottom right flipper, which I thought was perfectly fine (and still is, really) is feeling a little bit soft

I also managed to dial in my half-dead pop bumper. Between making the switch gap a bit smaller and re-centering the scoop, it triggers nearly 100% of the time on hitchhiker balls.

#2468 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

So I rebuilt my left flipper and... oh my. The ball absolutely explodes off of the bat now.

That's great news! The game is so much more fun when everything works and sounds right, including flipper strength!

#2469 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

I also managed to dial in my half-dead pop bumper. Between making the switch gap a bit smaller and re-centering the scoop, it triggers nearly 100% of the time on hitchhiker balls.

Welp, that part was short lived. The pop bumper worked perfectly for about 10 games and now it's half-dead again. There seems to be quite a bit of wiggle on the mounting bracket for the scoop/switch - I wonder if that shifted somehow. I'll dig again tomorrow... at least the new flipper is still awesome.

Quoted from Seatmandan:

That's great news! The game is so much more fun when everything works and sounds right, including flipper strength!

Yes indeed I soooo wish I had done it years ago - it's such a huge improvement and other than removing the old coil sleeve, it really wasn't all that hard.

#2470 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

es indeed I soooo wish I had done it years ago - it's such a huge improvement and other than removing the old coil sleeve, it really wasn't all that hard.

Can you successfully backhand the left ramp with the left flipper while the ball is cradled? If so, then that's success!

#2471 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Is there a broken weld, letting the top of the scoop flex if you push up on it?

Yes this turned out to be the problem. I have ordered a reinforced scoop. thanks folks!

#2472 7 years ago

I have a minor problem with my TZ. When I switch the machine on the clock lancets keep rotating. I then enter the clock test and I cannot make it move forward (fast and slow). Anyway, after around 30/60 seconds, the clock stop misbehaving and the machine works perfectly. It looks like the clock needs to "warm up".

What can be the cause?

#2473 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

When I switch the machine on the clock lancets keep rotating.

Do the optos all appear to be working in the test mode, showing the time counting?

#2474 7 years ago

Yes. The clock test shows the optos flashing accordingly to the actual time on the clock. As mentioned, during the test only backwards movement works, while the clock lancets stop when forward is selected. Anyway, I tried again today and the problem lasts really for a very short time, around 30 seconds. When I leave the test and back to attract mode, everything works fine. I then play the machine extensively (over one hour) and no problem at all.

#2475 7 years ago

By "lancets", you're meaning the hands, I assume.

If you go into test mode, and *leave* the test in Clock Fwd (where the hands don't move), if you wait long enough, do they start to move after a time?

#2476 7 years ago

Yes, I mean hands (sorry not a native speaker and sometimes I just "create" words I do not know..

Anyway, I will try to wait some more and let you know..

#2477 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Yes, I mean hands (sorry not a native speaker and sometimes I just "create" words I do not know.

How's it on your native language?

#2478 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Yes, I mean hands (sorry not a native speaker and sometimes I just "create" words I do not know..
Anyway, I will try to wait some more and let you know..

Is okay, honest, I can't speak a word of another language, and I wish I could!

This test will show if something needs to warm up before it starts working.

#2479 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

How's it on your native language?

clock hand = lancetta

#2480 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is okay, honest, I can't speak a word of another language, and I wish I could!
This test will show if something needs to warm up before it starts working.

maybe by the time I entered the clock test the optos already warmed up?

as I mentioned the problem lasts for few seconds really.

it should be something related to "warming up": if - after few minutes - I switch the machine off and on again, everything stays fine.

#2481 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

maybe by the time I entered the clock test the optos already warmed up?
as I mentioned the problem lasts for few seconds really.
it should be something related to "warming up": if - after few minutes - I switch the machine off and on again, everything stays fine.

Hm.. Bad optos won't stop the game from activating the forward sol drive to make the clock run in the forward direction..

Hm..

Quoted from Luppin:

have a minor problem with my TZ. When I switch the machine on the clock lancets keep rotating.

Curious, which way do they rotate? Forward, or back? Except for the part where you can't get then to rotate forward in test mode, it sounds like yes, bad optos..

#2482 7 years ago

backwards.

I didn't check if - after the problem disappears - the clock test still refuse to move forward. I will check and let you know. but I suspect everything will be fine then, becuase also during the gamplay the clock moves correctly backward and foward during the different modes.

#2483 7 years ago

Checked the clock test after the problem disappears, and as expected now the clock test works fine, forward and backward no problem.

So basically what happens is: I turn the machine on, the clock start and keep moving backwards, I enter the adjustments for a few seconds, I exit the adjustments and back to attract mode and everything is perfectly fine and stays fine all the time I keep playing.

#2484 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

after around 30/60 seconds, the clock stop misbehaving and the machine works perfectly

Could it be thermistor related?

#2485 7 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Checked the clock test after the problem disappears, and as expected now the clock test works fine, forward and backward no problem.
So basically what happens is: I turn the machine on, the clock start and keep moving backwards, I enter the adjustments for a few seconds, I exit the adjustments and back to attract mode and everything is perfectly fine and stays fine all the time I keep playing.

Maybe it is software related: did you try to remove the batteries to do a Factory Reset?

(P.s. Lancette: Italiano come me? )

#2486 7 years ago

Helping a friend with his flaky 10 opto board. Error message is each of the opto not working. They would all trigger sporadically in sequence while in test mode. After some research I felt confident i could reflow the header pins on the board...put back in the game tonight and of course prob is still there. I noticed the board is also no longer avail....

I suspected the connectors so with my tool tried to press them in for better fit..seemed to work for about 10 minutes

any ideas? Sound like a bad opto board? can I redo the connectors..Does not look easy since they loop into the connector.

If I had a spare board I could swap and double check it.

#2487 7 years ago

Had exact same problem on my opto board in Demo Man yesterday. Turned out was a ground issue...on a switch that wasn't an opto.

#2488 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

press them in for better fit..seemed to work for about 10 minutes

Reflow the solder on the connector pins (header) on the board where they attach.

#2489 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Reflow the solder on the connector pins (header) on the board where they attach.

Thx. I did that first The led light stays on in the opto board so I think the 12v are steady. Are you talking about where they attach on the power driver in the head?...Ill see what connector that is.

#2490 7 years ago

Measure that 12vdc with a meter. I once had a BSD that all optos were acting flakey. The 12volts measured way low. Turned out to be a bridge and cap on the PDB.

#2491 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Measure that 12vdc with a meter. I once had a BSD that all optos were acting flakey. The 12volts measured way low. Turned out to be a bridge and cap on the PDB.

thx...where should i measure 12v on opto board?

#2492 7 years ago

Looks like J-5 pins 1 and 2. You could also measure the same thing on the power driver board J-118 pins 2 and 3.

10 opto bd TZ (resized).JPG10 opto bd TZ (resized).JPG

#2493 7 years ago

Thx for your help

#2494 7 years ago

Stupid question time!

I have a new slot machine plastic to replace my old one that is about 20% destroyed/missing but when I started taking the old plastic off, I realized that the lamp was riveted on there. I figure I can just replace the rivet with a screw+nut but, uh, how do I get the rivet out in the first place? Or is it just easier to get a new lamp socket?

#2495 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

Stupid question time!
I have a new slot machine plastic to replace my old one that is about 20% destroyed/missing but when I started taking the old plastic off, I realized that the lamp was riveted on there. I figure I can just replace the rivet with a screw+nut but, uh, how do I get the rivet out in the first place? Or is it just easier to get a new lamp socket?

You can carefully drill it out (You'll want to be careful not to overheat so as not to melt the plastic) and use a screw and nut if you don't have a rivet press. I'd be happy to drill and re-rivet and send it back to you. Not sure your location but someone local likely would be happy to do the same for you.

#2496 7 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

You can carefully drill it out (You'll want to be careful not to overheat so as not to melt the plastic) and use a screw and nut if you don't have a rivet press. I'd be happy to drill and re-rivet and send it back to you. Not sure your location but someone local likely would be happy to do the same for you.

Thanks! I was afraid that "drill it out" is pretty much the solution. Well, not too hard I guess, just an awkward area to work in (either with the drill or re-soldering the lamp if I have to pull everything out to get to the rivet)

#2497 7 years ago

I used a dremmel to grind off the back of the rivet.

#2498 7 years ago
Quoted from scottmaggie:

I used a dremmel to grind off the back of the rivet.

Yep. With the washer that's there and how little of the rivet is actually mushroomed, it goes pretty quick.

#2499 7 years ago

got my LED-OCD and GI-OCD brackets made in the prototype shop today. ready to go in to TZ and TOTAN

#2500 7 years ago
Quoted from Timmah:

Thanks! I was afraid that "drill it out" is pretty much the solution. Well, not too hard I guess, just an awkward area to work in (either with the drill or re-soldering the lamp if I have to pull everything out to get to the rivet)

Please, do not even think of drilling or dremmeling the rivet while it is still in the game. Take it completely out and work on a bench or table.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.50
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.