Topic Stats

• 7,211 posts
  • 536 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 283 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,883 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2821 (resized).jpeg
81DECA32-55F7-4B79-8829-7F884607E798 (resized).jpeg
61635733-40B4-4AAC-8F9C-989DFFB107E3 (resized).jpeg
20190610_220742 (resized).jpg
60DC3E76-0003-4C1B-AA77-58041CA1CC6C (resized).jpeg
IMG_2432 (resized).jpeg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_95a (resized).jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_95b (resized).jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_955 (resized).jpg
47946391218_f18c9a747b_z (resized).jpg
47946412756_1e1b02b9fe_k (resized).jpg
47946382432_5949fec132_k (resized).jpg
21703874-61D7-4FE3-8251-6F80EF886114.jpeg
20190522_095611 (resized).jpg
IMG_8660 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).jpg

There are 7211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 145.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

My game is "clock broken", but it looks like it is working. Where do I start?

Here are some articles which may help:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-clock-broken
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-clock-not-working
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-clock-is-broken

I hope this helps guide you to a solution.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Coasterguy had that crazy wireform on his. I think he got it from those guys in Germany, but I'm pretty sure they're not available anymore ...
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-for-sale

One just sold on eBay (ended Jan 5) for $320.

ebay.com link » Twilight Zone Pinball Machine Custom Replacement Spiral Ramp

#204 5 years ago

Best title ever. Period!

#205 5 years ago

And that's the end of that - my rocket mod broke for the last time - that thing always breaks off in the middle of powerball mania, or some sweet mode - anyone else give up on their rocket mod?

#206 5 years ago

I just recently installed star post LEDs (from great lakes modular) on the mini playfield that are tied to the eye flasher. It adds a really cool effect to the gameplay. I could tie it to additional flashers for more flashing but, I can't decide which ones would be appropriate.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterRandall:

And that's the end of that - my rocket mod broke for the last time - that thing always breaks off in the middle of powerball mania, or some sweet mode - anyone else give up on their rocket mod?

Mine has been sitting inside the cab for 6 months. Always snapped at the worst time. Was one of the silver ones, so sisnt look as good as the more recent white ones

#208 5 years ago

My TZ was missing the plastic that goes over top of the left ramp. I've now got the plastic but does anyone have a list of the applicable hardware required to install it? I don't know what I need from pictures to put it on...

#209 5 years ago

I joined the club this week, after years of wanting this so badly, its a pretty nice unshopped example and have torn it almost all the way down already for the rigorous shop job... heres a thumbs up to an amazing game.

#210 5 years ago

This might be an stupid question on this thread but if you could only own one machine would I definitely be TZ?
I would say yes for me.

#211 5 years ago

working on doing a deep shop out for a machine i got a few months ago.

also, wanted to check about how the gumball LED mod is mounted. do the LEDs hang from the top or are the mounted on the bottom? planning to do a DIY mod for it since the parts would be less than $5. also, where's the best place to wire it to?

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

working on doing a deep shop out for a machine i got a few months ago.
also, wanted to check about how the gumball LED mod is mounted. do the LEDs hang from the top or are the mounted on the bottom? planning to do a DIY mod for it since the parts would be less than $5. also, where's the best place to wire it to?

here are the instructions for the pinbits one. I guess you could make it but it would be easier finding one one to buy.
http://www.iobium.com/installing_the_gumball_lamp_boar.htm

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

My TZ was missing the plastic that goes over top of the left ramp. I've now got the plastic but does anyone have a list of the applicable hardware required to install it? I don't know what I need from pictures to put it on...

I removed that entire clear plastic assembly. It opened up the back of the playfield and you can see the decal I added much better. Since its a home game, I wasn't concerned about air balls getting stuck or any of that. I removed it about 2 months ago and have never had a ball stuck.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

This might be an stupid question on this thread but if you could only own one machine would I definitely be TZ?
I would say yes for me.

Hard to say, but it's definitely a contender. I can't imagine ever selling our TZ ... just so much for the money. If they tried to build it today I would think minimum $8k retail.

#215 5 years ago

The thing I like best about TZ is that there is always something new to learn about the machine. A different strategy to light the door panels, using the slot machine vs. the piano for example. I love the callouts and the jackpot sound is amazing. I have not gotten to LITZ yet so I still have a lot to look forward to with this machine after a year of ownership. TZ will definitely be a long term hold for me.
Building a new remake of this game would be impossible these days with the material and licensing costs. It is a lot like many of the old buildings in the cities across the USA. These buildings could never be built today due to the outrageously high costs.

#216 5 years ago

Super thread gentlemen. Can anyone lead me to the best place to get TZ mods. I would like the mods to be reversible and easy to install without soldering. What mods do you guys think would be good to start with? I was thinking of the Lost in the Zone lamp over the mini PF, the Stop Light and the Piano would be good mods to start with. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks CB

#217 5 years ago

Can I get an expression of interest from those who would like a spiral ramp? I have a source that could make them for us, just wanted to know how many would like one. Not sure of the price, but I'm not in it to make money.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Can I get an expression of interest from those who would like a spiral ramp? I have a source that could make them for us, just wanted to know how many would like one. Not sure of the price, but I'm not in it to make money.

Not me, I don't like the looks of it.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

This will just slow the game down. Not a big fan of it.

Quoted from LitzDoc:

Super thread gentlemen. Can anyone lead me to the best place to get TZ mods. I would like the mods to be reversible and easy to install without soldering. What mods do you guys think would be good to start with? I was thinking of the Lost in the Zone lamp over the mini PF, the Stop Light and the Piano would be good mods to start with. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks CB

Those are great mods to start with I would also add gumballs. Here is a video of my mod if interested it fits the bill of easy to install and it does add a lot of character.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Can somebody post a link to the grease that quiets the clock? ...thanks

I recently had my clock apart and used a few drops of this stuff. Worked like a charm.

Labelle 102.jpg

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Took me a while to find this lost ball. Good thing I have the plastic protector! And yes, I know the pop cap is the wrong color, the previous owner did that and I forgot to change it when I replaced that magna flip sign.

What makes you think it's the wrong color? According to the flyer, the cap on the right is yellow.

TZ Flyer.jpg

#222 5 years ago

I don't think I would be interested in the spiral ramp. May block the view of the playfield. I also saw one on EBay for $250 or maybe even $350. Not worth the dough IMO

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

What makes you think it's the wrong color? According to the flyer, the cap on the right is yellow.

TZ Flyer.jpg 86 KB

In short, imo the flyer is wrong. 1) the skill shot lights up specific pops- e.g. orange is lit, so you can tell the right colors based on the software. 2) the mini pf also has the correct order.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-pop-bumer-cap-order

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

If the cost was closer to $50 instead of $300 I bet lots would go for it. I would. Perhaps a separate thread for this?

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Definitely appreciate you looking into this, but I also think it will slow the game down too much-especially since it's already not that fast.

As for mods, I used to have a ton of them on my machine (piano, gumball sparkle kit, rocket, caddy...)then I got it restored, so the only thing on there now is the gumballs.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Joey at pinball decals.com has the custom lamp holders for the mini pf, and lots of other very nice mods....a little pricey, but the stuff is quality.....also makes the custom aprons, backboards, etc....

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Not me....looks like it would slow down the game and spiral covers up too much of the playfield...just my take though....mark

#228 5 years ago

When I get the quote for the build, I'll start a new thread. I'm hoping the costs would be considerably less than the eBay recent offers. TZ isn't a very fast game, so I don't think the spiral would be an issue, but I'll let this group know.

#229 5 years ago

Has anyone used ( or modified) the clock covers that provide ventilation to keep the heat down? I'm using the LED single board update, but geesh, it still gets pretty warm.....

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Has anyone used ( or modified) the clock covers that provide ventilation to keep the heat down? I'm using the LED single board update, but geesh, it still gets pretty warm.....

Pinball Decals has one a vented clock lens.

http://pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/TZ_Page.html

#231 5 years ago

Hey all, I just finished led modding my TZ. I used fairly bright 4-smd leds but I always kept the playfields original colors as base colors for the leds. I know some consider this a sacrilegious act, but for me... well for me it gives a real boost to the games atmosphere. Especially when the game has a science fiction theme. It almost creates it own little world when I see the bright colors passing by in the ball's reflection when it travels the playfield.

Anyhow... I also had a small question related to the pin. I'm almost positive that I have an early production machine. for I have the obvious markers such as a green lock insert, white clock and the rubber post between the Town Square jetbumpers. But.... I also have two flashers installed underneath the Gum and Ball inserts underneath The Door and also one flasher between the purple plastic right next to the Town Square jetbumpers. Im not sure if these were installed during production or can these be purchased as an aftermarket kit? Also I'm not sure if S/N numbers are linear to the manufacturing proces. If so.... since I have a fairly low S/N number...does this mean I have a really really early production machine? possibly a sample machine?

2014-01-11 17.17.07.jpg
2013-12-29 20.58.31.jpg

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

When I get the quote for the build, I'll start a new thread. I'm hoping the costs would be considerably less than the eBay recent offers. TZ isn't a very fast game, so I don't think the spiral would be an issue, but I'll let this group know.

I agree. I think TZ is a fast game. Mine is definitely not slow. If the price was not outrageous I would definitely consider the spiral mod. It would also have to be easily installed and removed.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from MTC4U:

I'm almost positive that I have an early production machine. for I have the obvious markers such as a green lock insert, white clock and the rubber post between the Town Square jetbumpers. But.... I also have two flashers installed underneath the Gum and Ball inserts underneath The Door and also one flasher between the purple plastic right next to the Town Square jetbumpers.

The door flashers are a mod that someone added to your game. Pinbits sells a kit for this. I believe the only games that came with those flashers installed from the factory were the prototypes. Yours is a sample, and not even a particularly early one. For example, My TZ was built on 3/24/93. It doesn't say "FLIP HERE" on the mini playfield like yours does.

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The door flashers are a mod that someone added to your game. Pinbits sells a kit for this. I believe the only games that came with those flashers installed from the factory were the prototypes. Yours is a sample, and not even a particularly early one. For example, My TZ was built on 3/24/93. It doesn't say "FLIP HERE" on the mini playfield like yours does.

Much appreciated! Wow yours was build 3/24/93?? Thats like close after the prototypes were built if im not mistaken?

1 week later
#235 5 years ago

what is everyone's thought on the magnet mod for the diverter to the powerfield? and where are these sold?

#236 5 years ago

I would highly recommend it for smoother play. Doesn't cost too much and easy to install

http://pinballpro.net/shop/twilight-zone-diverter-magnet-tz-dm/

#237 5 years ago

Here is my first TZ mod. I created the artwork and used water slide decals to make the plastic on PETG and fabricated the mounting bracket in my workshop using a small metal shear/break that I have. I goofed when making the bracket (it should have been 1/4 inch longer), but I was nearly done when I discovered it and figured that it's good enough for who it's for (me).

This is a reversed version of the vectorized artwork (when printing it on water slide decal, it is done in reverse).
LostSpiralPlastic.jpg

Here it is installed in the machine.
LostSpiralPlastic_installed.jpg

Jeff

#238 5 years ago

Here's a link to my TZ mods posted last week…didn't see this thread until now.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-tz-love-to-commemorate-pat-lawlors-return-to-pinball

snaroff

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

I would highly recommend it for smoother play. Doesn't cost too much and easy to install

Great, Thanks!

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Here's a link to my TZ mods posted last week…didn't see this thread until now.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/some-tz-love-to-commemorate-pat-lawlors-return-to-pinball

Thanks for sharing that's looks very nice.

#241 5 years ago

I have TZ on my garage and started to work with it. Just not sure is it needed, it's in good condition just needs some new balls to roll. Anyway, here are some closeup shots:
TZ_02.JPGTZ_01.JPGTZ_03.JPGTZ_05.JPGTZ_06.JPGTZ_07.JPGTZ_08.JPGTZ_09.JPGTZ_10.JPGTZ_11.JPG

And here are few shots underside of the playfieldTZ_04.JPGTZ_02-561.JPGTZ_06-35.JPGTZ_03-816.JPG

And to be serious, game has been without glass for several years and has very little plays on it. Playfield is almost mint except nasty flipper-wear at HT-letters on "Twilight" word. I started restoration underside of the playfield just because upperside is a "little" nightmare. Cabinet has superb colors and electronics are working nicely.TZ2_15.jpg
TZ2_12.jpgTZ2_14.jpg

Btw, Autosol Chrom Glans makes wonders to rusted habitrails...
TZ2_13.JPG

#242 5 years ago

Interesting that your subway ramp for the VUK isn't smoked. Most other ones I've seen are.

#243 5 years ago

Interesting how bottom side looks nice and clean, whereas the topside looks like you just pulled it out of some archaeological dig.

#244 5 years ago

Still the best Pin of all time....

#245 5 years ago

with all that dust, just a quick blow-job and it'll be a happy camper. Maybe use a couple of rubbers too.

#246 5 years ago

Just played a few games with my lady tonight!

I got all giddy explaining the seemingly endless ways to score on TZ. She was very excited to get a jackpot in multi ball. We'll have to save the concept of relighting the jackpot til next time, but I am happy to explain. We also explored the perils of the power ball and the dangers of the pop bumpers. All in all, quite the fun time.

I am loving my TZ. It's just as much fun to look at as it is to play. I've owned it for two months and I feel like I've only touched the surface of the scoring possibilities. I think back to when I played it on-location and laugh because I knew so little about the game, just that I liked playing it. There's a certain attractive/addictive quality that makes you want to accomplish more and more. Just when you think you've conquered the mysteries of the Twilight Zone the game makes sure you know who's boss. Nothing like draining out of the pop bumpers when you have the door handle lit! That'll teach you to play strategically. Make sure you get Talky Tina to hook you up with some extra balls that's all I've gotta say. I'm not sure if I've ever played a game that rewards you so well for precision shots/strategic play yet punishes so brutally for mistakes. The nature of the game fits the Twilight Zone theme so well it's uncanny.

TZ1.jpg TZ4.jpg TZ3.jpg TZ2.jpg TZ5.jpg
#247 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

...just a quick blow-job and it'll be a happy camper. Maybe use a couple of rubbers too.

cYEHZsL.gif
#248 5 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

I bought after seeing this, even with my no-additional-mod policy for TZ. Works great, thanks for the recommendation.

#249 5 years ago

Glad to help out.
Why the no-additional-mod policy? Is your TZ stuffed with great mods?

#250 5 years ago

Just added a led lite to the Hallmark TV I bought and installed. Turned out pretty good--does what I wanted it to do by lighting the original screen.
IMG_0491.JPGIMG_0489.JPGIMG_0487.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 10.95
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 20.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.95
$ 5.00
$ 14.95
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Burton, MI
$ 14.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashton-sandy Spring, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7211 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside