IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 305.
#2251 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

it worked correctly but did eventually stop. So

what stopped? powerball detection? you mean the game loses track of the powerball? if so, then everything we've said about the 2 different eddy sensors is relevant. Ramegooms post sums it up great. in my experiences, it's usually the trough sensor/PCB that's the culprit on that issue. don't think its a microswitch in the slot kicker...

#2252 7 years ago

I mean... every time the powerball kicks in the shooter lane... it says "powerball " and I do hear "powerball" when its in other areas but..... most times when the powerball drops in trough at skill shot.... it has a different sound than if it was a steel ball & there's a longer pause.... then it shoots out of the slot trough.

#2253 7 years ago

Back to your original question. No, there is no reason the power ball should kick out of the slot machine any different after plunging it, than the other balls.

If you go to switch test mode and plunge it in, does it trigger the slot machine kicker switch like a standard ball?

#2254 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

The power ball sensor detects the absence of steel when parked in the exit of the shooter lane. When the ball is launched, the game will indicate "Power Ball" if that sensor does not sense a steel prior to launch.
The trough also uses an Eddy sensor assembly, located just past the trough switch. When the ball travels through the trough, it contacts that switch.

A couple corrections. I'm assuming you mean the "slot lockout" instead of "exit of the shooter lane", and no, the eddy board only detects balls coming into the slot kickout via way of Piano and Camera scoops.
Also, the eddy sensor in the trough *SHOULD NOT* contact any balls. It should be enough away to detect but not touch.

#2255 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure the only time the slot kickout delays firing the powerball is when it pauses to say "POWERBALL"
This occurs when:

1. the powerball is in the lower trough, and is the next ball served (thus being detected by eddy board #1 at the ball trough) EDIT: and is shot INTO the skillshot, not the rocket kicker

2. the powerball is served to the slot kicker via the gumball machine through the lower subway (thus being detected by eddy board #2 under the LH subway)

I'm pretty sure the eddy boards do a lot of "ball tracking" that we don't see, thus keeping track of where the Powerball is.

Also- I'm running Game ROM L-4, I believe the the 9.4H Rom has addressed some Powerball tracking issues, and may behave a bit different than what I'm describing for my game

#2256 7 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I'm pretty sure the only time the slot kickout delays firing the powerball is when it pauses to say "POWERBALL"
This occurs when:
1. the powerball is in the lower trough, and is the next ball served (thus being detected by eddy board #1 at the ball trough)
2. the powerball is served to the slot kicker via the gumball machine/lower subway (thus being detected by edd board #2 under the LH subway)
I'm pretty sure the eddy boards do a lot of "ball tracking" that we don't see, thus keeping track of where the Powerball is.
Also- I'm running Game ROM L-4, I believe the the 9.4H Rom has addressed some Powerball tracking issues, and may behave a bit different than what I'm describing for my game

This is correct.

#2257 7 years ago

Also, consider, when you plunge a ball, it does rollover all three skill shot switches.

The powerball is a lighter weight ball. If it doesn't close all three skill shot switches, you could have different sound effects.

There is no sensor (and in fact, no switch at all) in the skill shot tunnel, that leads to the slot kickout.

The game knows that if the ball exits the shooter lane, and ends up in the slot kickout (and not the rocket kicker) that the skill shot was missed.

Powerball detection for missed skill shots is done at the trough kickout, since there are only two possible results from a plunged ball : slot kickout (missed skill shot) or rocket kicker (made skill shot).

#2258 7 years ago

Unreal!! I got a new cable kit & did 1 cable at a time but the game won't boot up. I hear a beep but thats about it.

20160620_191509_(resized).jpg20160620_191509_(resized).jpg

#2259 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Unreal!! I got a new cable kit & did 1 cable at a time but the game won't boot up. I hear a beep but thats about it.

Check your connections. The large cable on the CPU (left plug) looks like it's off by a row. (Not column, row. Too low.)

#2260 7 years ago
#2261 7 years ago

I am seriously not sure how to break that down any more, sorry..

#2262 7 years ago

Also make sure the identified red wire on the cable assembly goes on the same way you took it off. At least one of the cables (auxiliary cable) has ports that are perpendicular to each other. So the cable has a small twist. Twist it the wrong way and you'll have problems.

#2263 7 years ago

I looked at a tz YouTube video & they look correct... still no luck..

20160620_200135_(resized).jpg20160620_200135_(resized).jpg

20160620_200140_(resized).jpg20160620_200140_(resized).jpg

20160620_200147_(resized).jpg20160620_200147_(resized).jpg

20160620_200155_(resized).jpg20160620_200155_(resized).jpg

20160620_200200_(resized).jpg20160620_200200_(resized).jpg

#2264 7 years ago

Well if it was working before you changed the ribbon cables and that's all you did, then at least one of the cables isn't on properly. Pull them all off again and slowly put them back on and triple check it. If even one pin is off alignment it won't work right. Make sure you didn't bend any pins too.

#2265 7 years ago

well, first things first ....

Pull ALL the ribbon cables. Also pull the transformer primary plug on the far right of the power driver PCB with the white and black wires (this is J102) to cut off coil and flashlamp power until you have the game working.

Now power it on. Verify your CPU boots (two solid lights, then one solid light + one blinking light).

Power it back off. Connect the ribbon cable between the CPU and the Power Driver boards.

Power it on. It should boot cleanly, and now you should have playfield lamps blinking.

Power it back off. Connect the large ribbon cable to the top of the CPU, and to the fliptronic board.

Power it on. It should boot cleanly.

Power it back off. Connect the large ribbon cable to the Sound board.

Power it on. It should boot cleanly. You may or may not get an error detected bong message.

Power it back off. Connect the large ribbon cable to the DMD board. Add the smaller ribbon cable between the CPU and the DMD board.

Power it on. It should boot cleanly, and you should have dots. You can now go into test mode, and check switches. etc.

Power it off. Add the long ribbon cable from the CPU alphanumeric port, to the 8-driver aux board. Be SURE the red wire is on pin 1 on both ends. Reversing this cable can be bad.

Power it on. Now when you boot, the clock should run and reset to 12:00.

Plug J102 back in, verify you do NOT have any flashlamps locked on. Check the 3 flashers by the Gumball, and the single flasher by the rocket kicker (behind the upper-right flipper).

Go into test mode, into lamp+flash test, make sure lamps and flashers are all working.

Play game. Have fun.

#2266 7 years ago

_litz - thank you VERY much for putting all the detailed info on here. I ended up taking out all the new cables and then put the original ones back in except for the one coming from the new color DMD. And it works great! Thanks to ChrisHibler again for helping.

It wasn't the fault of the new cables....it was the way I was trying to put them in. I'm super glad nothing was wrecked.

#2267 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

well, first things first ....
Pull ALL the ribbon cables. Also pull the transformer primary plug on the far right of the power driver PCB with the white and black wires (this is J102) to cut off coil and flashlamp power until you have the game working.
Now power it on. Verify your CPU boots (two solid lights, then one solid light + one blinking light).
Power it back off. Connect the ribbon cable between the CPU and the Power Driver boards.
Power it on. It should boot cleanly, and now you should have playfield lamps blinking.
Power it back off. Connect the large ribbon cable to the top of the CPU, and to the fliptronic board.
Power it on. It should boot cleanly.
Power it back off. Connect the large ribbon cable to the Sound board.
Power it on. It should boot cleanly. You may or may not get an error detected bong message.
Power it back off. Connect the large ribbon cable to the DMD board. Add the smaller ribbon cable between the CPU and the DMD board.
Power it on. It should boot cleanly, and you should have dots. You can now go into test mode, and check switches. etc.
Power it off. Add the long ribbon cable from the CPU alphanumeric port, to the 8-driver aux board. Be SURE the red wire is on pin 1 on both ends. Reversing this cable can be bad.
Power it on. Now when you boot, the clock should run and reset to 12:00.
Plug J102 back in, verify you do NOT have any flashlamps locked on. Check the 3 flashers by the Gumball, and the single flasher by the rocket kicker (behind the upper-right flipper).
Go into test mode, into lamp+flash test, make sure lamps and flashers are all working.
Play game. Have fun.

I think I'm gonna print this just for the sake of having it.

#2268 7 years ago

Sometimes you have to just step back, and trouble shoot step by step.

#2269 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

Sometimes you have to just step back, and trouble shoot step by step.

…and wait for people's suggestions before going and trying things yourself.

There are a LOT of folks on here with very detailed and specific knowledge and experience with TZ that should be heeded and respected accordingly. ONLY doing the things they suggest and waiting for their response with the results you got is how you go about using their tech-spertise(like that word?) from a distance.

I choose to bow to them, too, but you can do as you see fit.

#2270 7 years ago

Well, to give you an idea .... I worked at a Bly/Wms distributor for 7 years. Fixing pinballs and PCBs.

There pretty much isn't a way for a 90s vintage (or later sys11 models) to fail that I haven't seen.

I guess it's very similar to someone that works at the service department at a car dealership; you learn very quickly how your products break.

#2271 7 years ago

Excellent point, but there are a lot of creative people out there who do crazy things to their stuff. I've worked and "hobbied" in the automotive field and the acoustic guitar world for a while and my perpetual surprise with what people do with their stuff and how they use things improperly or never service things will never cease to amaze me.

Were you around when we(Pinside) discovered my TZ had an FIRQ interrupt error? That was a unique one!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-slow-dmd-animations-and-parts-suggestions

#2272 7 years ago

I fixed an Attack from Mars with that same exact problem, once.

Tracked it down to a pass-thru hole on the WPC95 AV board where FIRQ was present on the top of the board, and not on the bottom.

Sucked the solder out of the hole and stuck a wire through, soldering on both sides, and it was fixed.

FIRQ is used by the DMD controller to advance through stored pages in the DMD ram, allowing for rapid animation.

The trick is, the CPU has to backfill the pages as fast as it steps through them, to keep the animation going.

#2273 7 years ago

Hey, does anyone know the exact measures of the clock decal? It will be truly appreciated!

large_(resized).jpglarge_(resized).jpg

#2274 7 years ago

TZ owners ? I'm looking for shooter lane mod ,row of lights, eBay has them.but in blue ? Looking for clear

#2275 7 years ago

I am probably over thinking this but ... what is the meaning of the phrase "look to the future"? Does this mean lock is lit?

#2276 7 years ago
Quoted from not4tilts:

I am probably over thinking this but ... what is the meaning of the phrase "look to the future"? Does this mean lock is lit?

It is a reference to the Camera shot.
The Camera tells the future in the show.

#2277 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

It is a reference to the Camera shot.
The Camera tells the future in the show.

That makes sense now - thanks!!

#2278 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Hey, does anyone know the exact measures of the clock decal? It will be truly appreciated!

Just so happens I have my clock apart. The sticker is 3-5/32" square. I leave it to you to convert to metric

#2279 7 years ago

Got a technical question. Just replaced all the optos on the clock. I thought since the new and old optos have writing only on one side, and the dot on the new opto lines up with the circle on the board, that I installed them the right way. Clock is still broken. Can't get the motor to spin even when everything but motor is unplugged (no voltage at the motor driver board either). What should the dot on the new optos be lined up with? Here's a pic.
IMG_20160623_205419_361_(resized).jpgIMG_20160623_205419_361_(resized).jpg

#2280 7 years ago

Optos won't affect the motor operation. Game should still spin the motor, even if only briefly before giving up.

So ... first thing first, you need to verify the optos register in clock test.

Then you need to figure out why there's no power at the motor driver PCB.

#2281 7 years ago

I have read many posts about which color pop bumpers go where but nobody really showed/said which is the correct way. I matched with what the mini pf shows which is... top left - Red.... top right - Orange... bottom - Yellow

Is this correct?

#2282 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I have read many posts about which color pop bumpers go where but nobody really showed/said which is the correct way. I matched with what the mini pf shows which is... top left - Red.... top right - Orange... bottom - Yellow
Is this correct?

Yes.

#2283 7 years ago

I want to join this club. Please PM me if you want to trade in your membership by selling me your TZ. Looking for a reasonably priced, players condition example.

#2284 7 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

I want to join this club. Please PM me if you want to trade in your membership by selling me your TZ. Looking for a reasonably priced, players condition example.

We don't want to swap members, NEW owners

Good luck hunting one down

#2285 7 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

Just so happens I have my clock apart. The sticker is 3-5/32" square. I leave it to you to convert to metric

8cm! Thanks!

#2286 7 years ago
Quoted from _litz:

Optos won't affect the motor operation. Game should still spin the motor, even if only briefly before giving up.
So ... first thing first, you need to verify the optos register in clock test.
Then you need to figure out why there's no power at the motor driver PCB.

Got everything working again and I'm pretty sure the same 3 optos are reading constantly closed 2,7,&8. All resistors are good, the diode tested good, and continuity tested most of traces (2,7,&8 traces). They all tested good. What board in the back box is reading the optos?

#2287 7 years ago

Just added new Apron and starlight posts on mini playfield. Cool project!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2288 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

Just added new Apron and starlight posts on mini playfield. Cool project!

Cool!

#2289 7 years ago
Quoted from vilant:

Got everything working again and I'm pretty sure the same 3 optos are reading constantly closed 2,7,&8. All resistors are good, the diode tested good, and continuity tested most of traces (2,7,&8 traces). They all tested good. What board in the back box is reading the optos?

The clock optops are kind of a mongrel ... the switch column strobe comes from the 8-aux driver PCB.

The switch row returns go in the normal switch row inputs shared with the rest of the switch matrix.

You can test a clock board out of the game by building a simple test fixture that provides +12 to the board, and has LEDs that light up on the row returns. Any time you transition the switch column from +12 to Ground, you should see the row returns reflect the status of the optos.

#2290 7 years ago

Just added new Apron and starlight posts on mini playfield.

Now you need to get rid of those ugly original switches on the mini playfield!

#2291 7 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

^^This^^

#2292 7 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

What are the best options? Pics?
Thanks!
Lou

#2293 7 years ago

What are the best options? Pics?
Thanks!
Lou

I tried linking to the specific product, which has several pics, but it keeps linking the previous product page. Scroll down to the "Updated! Twilight Zone mini playfield switch kit."

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/

#2295 7 years ago

It's worth it. Cleans that area up perfectly.

#2296 7 years ago

I feel the great lakes switch kit is one of the nicest things i have done to clean up the playfield.

#2297 7 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I feel the great lakes switch kit is one of the nicest things i have done to clean up the playfield.

I'm not saying that you need, because i don't remember your machine, but better yet is to take the bunch of mods off....

#2298 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I'm not saying that you need, because i don't remember your machine, but better yet is to take the bunch of mods off....

OK whatever that means, but the only mods on mine are the Ingo clock board and the switch eliminator kit.

#2299 7 years ago

To me it's the only "must do" mod.

#2300 7 years ago

OK whatever that means, but the only mods on mine are the Ingo clock board and the switch eliminator kit.

I got much more than that...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.50
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 14.95
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/46?hl=vilant and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.