Topic Stats

• 7,445 posts
  • 559 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Aniraf
  • Topic is favorited by 300 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,931 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190914_133014 (resized).jpg
20190914_085036 (resized).jpg
20180413_153420 (resized).jpg
20190913_193728 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143652 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143720 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143714 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143629 (resized).jpg
D53AEA1D-B4AF-4E0F-8C15-C6DD75E18A1C (resized).jpeg
FJIMG_20190910_173557 (resized).jpg
FJIMG_20190910_173539 (resized).jpg
Twilight-Zone-Shooter-Rod-01 (resized).jpg
20190827_222343 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190824-124646 (resized).png

There are 7445 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 149.
#1401 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Is there anywhere a TZ slot machine? Made by Bally? Pics?

Yes, there was an actual TZ Las Vegas slot machine made by WMS/BLY. It was solid state and photos can be found on the internet. That is where one of the famous pinball toppers came from, as it part of section of machines for audience draw.

#1402 3 years ago

Duplicate

#1403 3 years ago

Posts going crazy tonight...

#1404 3 years ago

Does anyone know where this wire piece goes? I suspect it belongs somewhere in the cabinet between the transformer and the coin door but it doesn't appear on any of the tear down pictures I took and I don't see it on any of the HEP TZ restorations.

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Does anyone know where this wire piece goes?

Right. The end with larger connectors with the black and white wires goes toward the transformer and power switch box. Specifically the one at the very end of the line connects to the transformer and the one next to it goes to the power switch box output. Look closely to determine the end one since they are tie wrapped together. Looking closer I see one is male and one is female, so you can't go wrong.

On the other end, the flat connector with the red/black wires goes to the coin door harness near where the door hinges, and the square connector is not used.

It seems besides supplying the 120vac to the transformer, that cable supplies it to the coin door area where it is not connected. The hose covers the wires where they pass over the tilt sensor area and under the left flipper.

#1406 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Does anyone know where this wire piece goes? I suspect it belongs somewhere in the cabinet between the transformer and the coin door but it doesn't appear on any of the tear down pictures I took and I don't see it on any of the HEP TZ restorations.
image.jpg

Looks like the dollar bill validator harness. You can remove it if you're not planning on running a dbv.

#1407 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Right. The end with larger connectors with the black and white wires goes toward the transformer and power switch box. Specifically the one at the very end of the line connects to the transformer and the one next to it goes to the power switch box output. Look closely to determine the end one since they are tie wrapped together. Looking closer I see one is male and one is female, so you can't go wrong.
On the other end, the flat connector with the red/black wires goes to the coin door harness near where the door hinges, and the square connector is not used.
It seems besides supplying the 120vac to the transformer, that cable supplies it to the coin door area where it is not connected. The hose covers the wires where they pass over the tilt sensor area and under the left flipper.

Neal, Skins, thanks for the pointers. It sounds like I don't need it and it will keep the wiring cleaner.

#1408 3 years ago

Curious if the mini-playfiled with the "flip" word on it is more desirable or nostalgia? I am doing a restore and bought a new Mirco PF but I am thinking on sending the mini in for touchup and clear coat. Another $100 to do that. Will the game look or be perceived a little better? Also, why is it not on reproductions!

#1409 3 years ago

If it were me, I'd rather have a mini playfield with no lettering. I believe that was the original concept, but no one who played the prototypes had any idea of what to do when the ball hit the upper playfield, so they added the "flip here" instructions to the production machines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

#1410 3 years ago
Quoted from PjM:

Curious if the mini-playfiled with the "flip" word on it is more desirable or nostalgia? I am doing a restore and bought a new Mirco PF but I am thinking on sending the mini in for touchup and clear coat. Another $100 to do that. Will the game look or be perceived a little better? Also, why is it not on reproductions!

Quoted from Billy16:

If it were me, I'd rather have a mini playfield with no lettering. I believe that was the original concept, but no one who played the prototypes had any idea of what to do when the ball hit the upper playfield, so they added the "flip here" instructions to the production machines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

That's pretty much it. However, I don't think it adds much (if any) desirability of the game, since the fields are still available.. the buyer could change his own out easily by buying any machine..

#1411 3 years ago

I received Ingo's Twilight Zone clock board with warm white Led's & he sent a extra set of rainbow Led's. I am in MN & was surprised it only took a week to get here from Germany. Ingo was easy to deal with & I can tell this board is top notch quality just by the look & feel. I can't wait to get this thing installed.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on installing the board? Thanks

20151113_153247.jpg

20151113_153312.jpg

#1412 3 years ago

It is Awesome. Ingos great. Only thing I rember is make sure you get your clock centered at midnight before you start. When taking off the minute hand....plug the piano hole have a clean cloth under the clock. Whatever you do dont lose the roll pin behind the minute hand.

#1413 3 years ago

Thanks pinballnut3... yes.. Ingo was super nice & funny also.

#1414 3 years ago

Why wouldn't you just remove the whole clock and sit down at a table to do this work?

#1415 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Why wouldn't you just remove the whole clock and sit down at a table to do this work?

Yes, definitely take it out to work on it. It's one or two screws, the two connectors on the bottom of the clock and the connector for the motor under the playfield. Takes less than 5 mins to get it out and put back in.

#1416 3 years ago

My cheapo topper. I picked this sign up at Hobby Lobby for ten or fifteen bucks:
TZ topper.jpg

#1417 3 years ago

Yes, take the clock out of the game.

Make sure it is at 12:00 before you start taking it apart. Also, if you clock is really loud, use this or similar lubricant to quieten it down.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-BL

#1418 3 years ago

Thanks for the tips on installing the Ingo clock board guys.

#1419 3 years ago

Guys, I just got myself a TZ (yeah), though I am getting 80% bounce back/reject when I nail the lock... It doesn't look like there is something wrong though? Is that a common issue? Anyone knows about this?

#1420 3 years ago

I get about 50% bounce back, makes the game that much harder. Not sure if there is a fix or its normal.

#1421 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Guys, I just got myself a TZ (yeah), though I am getting 80% bounce back/reject when I nail the lock... It doesn't look like there is something wrong though? Is that a common issue? Anyone knows about this?

It's a known issue, kinda - sample games (at least mine did) had small 1/8th inch spacers on the rear two standoff of the Lock cage assy.

When I rebuilt that area, I put two nylon locknuts all the way up the standoffs, and that seemed to be good.

#1422 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It's a known issue, kinda - sample games (at least mine did) had small 1/8th inch spacers on the rear two standoff of the Lock cage assy.
When I rebuilt that area, I put two nylon locknuts all the way up the standoffs, and that seemed to be good.

thank you guys, i'll give it a try later today.
I noticed a couple of other things, sometime the ball doesn't come out of the through all the way and get stuck on the edge of the wood, some time from bouncing back from the shooter lanes separator?

#1423 3 years ago

Hi I thought I post in here and ask you guys your opinion on a possible purchase. The seller is selling a populated twilight playfield for bout $1000. It's missing a few parts and dirty as hell but I was considering purchasing it and restoring it to a full game. That's means I would have to buy a cabinet, boards and everything else to complete it. My question to you guys is do you think it's worth the money or am I crazy for even thinking it? I would have no plans on selling it and I did enjoy restoring a previous machine I own but I'm not quite sure if it's worth all the headache. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

image.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

#1424 3 years ago

What's missing? I can't tell from the photos.

You can get or make a cabinet and boards are available. I'm sure the translite isn't impossible to find and color DMD would be an option for the display. Finding a transformer might be tricky. I've never looked for one.

#1425 3 years ago

Easily worth it if you can source all the parts.

#1426 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

thank you guys, i'll give it a try later today.
I noticed a couple of other things, sometime the ball doesn't come out of the through all the way and get stuck on the edge of the wood, some time from bouncing back from the shooter lanes separator?

Officially, you're supposed to lightly bend the end metal guides (upper, lower, and above) to get the ball aimed where you want it. However, an easier fix I've seen a lot of owners do is to remove the rubber on that post there.

Quoted from Mateo777:

Hi I thought I post in here and ask you guys your opinion on a possible purchase. The seller is selling a populated twilight playfield for bout $1000. It's missing a few parts and dirty as hell but I was considering purchasing it and restoring it to a full game. That's means I would have to buy a cabinet, boards and everything else to complete it. My question to you guys is do you think it's worth the money or am I crazy for even thinking it? I would have no plans on selling it and I did enjoy restoring a previous machine I own but I'm not quite sure if it's worth all the headache. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can get a new cabinet for about $1200, I believe, not including decals. You'll need transformer, power box, coin door, flipper buttons, cabinet wiring (coin door interface board, etc), tilts, shooter.. Then the cabinet wiring as well. Then you'd need the translite, knocker, boards like you mentioned, glass, siderails, legs..

It'd be one hell of a project, and you'd probably end up spending around $5k off the top of my head. However - on the plus side? You'd know that game inside and out.

Most of the stuff would be easy to get - flipper boards, tilts, coin door, etc.. And then others would be more difficult - transformer, cabinet wiring, etc.

Larger images of the playfield, and everyone could comment on anything important missing or not..

#1427 3 years ago
Quoted from Mateo777:

image.jpegimage_1.jpeg1image_2.jpegimage_3.jpegimage_4.jpeg

Take a close look at the playfield. The purple below the door looks completely faded... That's the first thing that I saw. Restoring it or not, that's a bummer IMHO...

#1428 3 years ago

another point I am curious about, the balls in the gumball machine get "jumbled". One gets push to the "front" of the gumball and the others go through toward the existing of the gumball behind it... I had the powerball stuck to the front of the gumball and had to send like 5-6 balls in there for it to actually go down...
Is that a common issue? I am not sure how I can make sure they stay nicely in line?
WP_20151114_21_05_01_Pro.jpg

#1429 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

another point I am curious about, the balls in the gumball machine get "jumbled". One gets push to the "front" of the gumball and the others go through toward the existing of the gumball behind it... I had the powerball stuck to the front of the gumball and had to send like 5-6 balls in there for it to actually go down...
Is that a common issue? I am not sure how I can make sure they stay nicely in line?
WP_20151114_21_05_01_Pro.jpg

Sounds like you are missing the center guide in the gumball housing.

#1430 3 years ago
Quoted from Mateo777:

populated twilight playfield for bout $1000

I think the fact that all the wiring is gone, is a deal breaker. Maybe there is a TZ out there that already has the items listed above and needs a populated playfield, but I would not start with that.

Spend that cash on a better camera.

#1431 3 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Sounds like you are missing the center guide in the gumball housing.

You mean one of these?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=03-8887
or
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_2&products_id=629

My Gumball plastic globe has the built in ball guide (circle in red on below picture) but that alone isn't enough apparently? Are the above addition to that?
http://1drv.ms/1LgEvyE

#1432 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I think the fact that all the wiring is gone, is a deal breaker. Maybe there is a TZ out there that already has the items listed above and needs a populated playfield, but I would not start with that.

I think he was talking about wiring in the lower cabinet; at least that's the way I took it. If that's the case, it wouldn't be a huge deal. Wiring would have to be run to the flipper buttons, start and buy-in buttons, speaker, tilt, slam switches, and coin door. Power to the transformer wouldn't be huge, but finding the correct transformer and the service box might.

You would ideally want to find a cheap, beat up compatible donor pin, and start from there. Seeing how TZ is a widebody, that's makes it more difficult.

#1433 3 years ago

Thanks for everybody's reply. Yeah my main concern was trying to sorce the transformer, cabinet wiring and the back glass board for the lights. Your right, it would be a hell of a project. It is missing some piece in the middle of the playfield but I can't tell what it is. Some kind of drop target or something? Anyway, there's better pictures right here if anybody has time to look at them. I would love to make this a project pin but I just don't want to be upside down in this after I'm done. ebay.com link ( I know, I hate eBay too)

#1434 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Lol I agree. But I didn't take these pics. They are from the seller. He sent me more pics as I requested but my phone will not allow me to copy them. The wiring is there but the connectors are not. That's another problem. Thanks for your reply.

#1435 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

My Gumball plastic globe has the built in ball guide (circle in red on below picture) but that alone isn't enough apparently? Are the above addition to that?

Yep, you also need the divider piece that sits down in there.

#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

Yep, you also need the divider piece that sits down in there.

Hmmm I had a look around but I don't see anywhere a part that seems to be broken or missing? the powerball just get pushed forward against the front of the globe by the oncoming ball coming down the ball guide at the back? Anyone has a similar picture of the inside of their Gumball?
Capture.PNG

#1437 3 years ago

you are missing this part:

https://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-TZ8887

My TZ missed it as well when I got it and had the same issue.

#1438 3 years ago

Screenshot_2015-11-15-19-16-37.png

#1439 3 years ago
Quoted from Mateo777:

Thanks for everybody's reply. Yeah my main concern was trying to sorce the transformer, cabinet wiring and the back glass board for the lights. Your right, it would be a hell of a project. It is missing some piece in the middle of the playfield but I can't tell what it is. Some kind of drop target or something? Anyway, there's better pictures right here if anybody has time to look at them. I would love to make this a project pin but I just don't want to be upside down in this after I'm done. ebay.com link

Your link didn't work but I found the listing.

Missing that I see are:
1. Slot Machine Scoop
2. Lower Flipper Bats
3. All playfield wiring loom connectors !!! Seriously, WTF !!!
Maybe other parts, but this is what I see from a quick glance.

Looks faded under the door panels and wear from the lower flippers.

#1440 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Hmmm I had a look around but I don't see anywhere a part that seems to be broken or missing? the powerball just get pushed forward against the front of the globe by the oncoming ball coming down the ball guide at the back? Anyone has a similar picture of the inside of their Gumball?
Capture.PNG

The notch in the front and rear of the clear part of the gumball machine, is where the clear plastic divider fits. Without it, you are going to have issues.

#1441 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

You mean one of these?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=03-8887
or
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_2&products_id=629
http://1drv.ms/1LgEvyE

Yes, that's the piece I was referring to.

#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thanks pinballnut3... yes.. Ingo was super nice & funny also.

Haha, I am still seeking tirelessly after, what we talked about, but still no success

Here is the installation guide for your board:
http://www.german-pinball-modular.de/tz-clock-instruction-english.html

Here you can download a pdf (most actual version);
http://www.german-pinball-modular.de/get_file.php?id=28051417&vnr=108585

#1443 3 years ago

What does re-import mean, is it just a different coin door? Or is there something else?

#1444 3 years ago
Quoted from T2play:

What does re-import mean, is it just a different coin door? Or is there something else?

It means it went overseas and back. No inherent effect on condition or value, just look at it like any other game. I have 2 reimports in excellent condition.

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from T2play:

Absolutely NOTHING, in terms of consequence.

Some collectors may "beg to differ" but all US machines with a few exceptions were made in Chicago. Bally did make machines in Germany in the 1980s. (Bally-Wulff). Unless you collecting games from manufacturers like Zaccaria.

Some collectors are less informed than others.

Yes, the coin door coin slots are usually different, most with 3 spots instead of two for currency. There are some other differences on cabinet printing of text and wiring.

Most pinball machines are in better shape for a number of reasons that were reimports. PM me if want to know why.

I bought many of my pinball machines while living oveseas and converted them to 110v upon return.

#1446 3 years ago

I was digging around in my attic & remembered that I bought this pyramid at the gift shop in The Luxor casino about 10 years ago. It might look neat on the top of backbox. The sphinx is actually going in.. it's kind of a illusion.

20151118_214147.jpg

#1447 3 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get a Magna flip sign the one infront of the upper Playfield right side, mine has a crack where the rivet is?

#1448 3 years ago
Quoted from T2play:

Does anyone know where I can get a Magna flip sign the one infront of the upper Playfield right side, mine has a crack where the rivet is?

Pinball Spare Parts Australia is one source.

#1449 3 years ago
Quoted from Mateo777:

Thanks for everybody's reply. Yeah my main concern was trying to sorce the transformer, cabinet wiring and the back glass board for the lights. Your right, it would be a hell of a project. It is missing some piece in the middle of the playfield but I can't tell what it is. Some kind of drop target or something? Anyway, there's better pictures right here if anybody has time to look at them. I would love to make this a project pin but I just don't want to be upside down in this after I'm done. ebay.com link

Starting from just a playfield, the wiring harness would be the biggest headache. For power, you might be better off buying a modern switching power supply to get the power needed and skip building the old transformer / analog style power source.

Mac

1 week later
#1450 3 years ago

Big shout out to Lermods for helping bring Robby to life. Love the slot, too.

20151201_205837.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 7445 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 149.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside