IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 280 of 305.
#13951 11 months ago

So I have radcals for this machine and have yet to put them on. I’ve heard so much mixed info. Do I really need to paint the cabinet black first? The instructions from the guy don’t say anything about it but then I’ve heard they’re kind of see through and will give you a double image if you don’t. Also the ones I got don’t have any holes drilled not even the start button :/

#13952 11 months ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

The thing I like best about TZ is that there is always something new to learn about the machine. A different strategy to light the door panels, using the slot machine vs. the piano for example. I love the callouts and the jackpot sound is amazing. I have not gotten to LITZ yet so I still have a lot to look forward to with this machine after a year of ownership. TZ will definitely be a long term hold for me.
Building a new remake of this game would be impossible these days with the material and licensing costs. It is a lot like many of the old buildings in the cities across the USA. These buildings could never be built today due to the outrageously high costs.

Yes, there are rumors of a remake of the Twilight Zone pinball machine. These rumors have been circulating for a few years now, and there is some evidence to support them. For example, in 2022, a large order of Twilight Zone ramps was placed. This could be a sign that a remake is in the works. Additionally, CBS Broadcasting has filed a trademark for The Twilight Zone for use in "Pinball games; pinball-type games; pinball machines." This could also be a sign that a remake is planned.
However, there is no official confirmation of a Twilight Zone remake yet. So, until we hear something from the manufacturer, these rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.
Here are some of the rumors that have been circulating:
• The remake will be made by Chicago Gaming Company.
• It will feature new features and technology.
• It will be released in 2023.
These rumors are all unconfirmed, but they have certainly generated excitement among pinball fans. If a Twilight Zone remake does happen, it will be sure to be a popular machine.

#13953 11 months ago

Anyone hearing anything?

Yes, there are rumors of a remake of the Twilight Zone pinball machine. These rumors have been circulating for a few years now, and there is some evidence to support them. For example, in 2022, a large order of Twilight Zone ramps was placed. This could be a sign that a remake is in the works. Additionally, CBS Broadcasting has filed a trademark for The Twilight Zone for use in "Pinball games; pinball-type games; pinball machines." This could also be a sign that a remake is planned.
However, there is no official confirmation of a Twilight Zone remake yet. So, until we hear something from the manufacturer, these rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.
Here are some of the rumors that have been circulating:
• The remake will be made by Chicago Gaming Company.
• It will feature new features and technology.
• It will be released in 2023.
These rumors are all unconfirmed, but they have certainly generated excitement among pinball fans. If a Twilight Zone remake does happen, it will be sure to be a popular machine.

#13954 11 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

So I have radcals for this machine and have yet to put them on. I’ve heard so much mixed info. Do I really need to paint the cabinet black first? The instructions from the guy don’t say anything about it but then I’ve heard they’re kind of see through and will give you a double image if you don’t. Also the ones I got don’t have any holes drilled not even the start button :/

TZ is a valuable game. I would not take the easy path. The value of the game will go up if you do it correct. I am a firm believer of taking the cabinet down to bare wood and painting it black before applying the new decals (Radcals too). I would also recommend oil-based paint. Water based is a mistake in my opinion. The adhesive does not stick to it very well.

#13955 11 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

TZ is a valuable game. I would not take the easy path. The value of the game will go up if you do it correct. I am a firm believer of taking the cabinet down to bare wood and painting it black before applying the new decals (Radcals too). I would also recommend oil-based paint. Water based is a mistake in my opinion. The adhesive does not stick to it very well.

Many have had success without this time consuming procedure. I'd just clean the surface very well with 100% alcohol. If you're really concerned, a light sanding with high grit paper, but I wouldn't bother unless you need to fill defects.

#13956 11 months ago
Quoted from Zee:

I think that whole diverter mechanism needs to be redesigned. It's ugly, it blocks the view, it does not work half the time, and seems to require constant fiddling.
No, I don't have a clean solution in mind yet, but I'm leaning toward a low-profile ball trap controlled by push/pull rods and a concealed solenoid.

Blocks the view of exactly what

Quoted from Pinkitten:

About 10% of the time, when the diverter flips the ball onto the playfield off the Power wireform, the ball lands between this post and the side of the wireform. I can nudge the cabinet and it usually drops, but I would prefer the diverter always works. Do I need to add a magnet to the diverter?
[quoted image]

The post is an attempt to fix the ball trap created by the robot that is not standard. Everybody adds crap to their games thinking it makes them better when it generally, just blocks views or creates ball traps.

#13957 11 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Many have had success without this time consuming procedure. I'd just clean the surface very well with 100% alcohol. If you're really concerned, a light sanding with high grit paper, but I wouldn't bother unless you need to fill defects.

So you're saying painting is not necessary? Are the decals not transparent? I've heard a lot of mixed things. Ideally I could just slap them on after a good cleaning.

#13958 11 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

So you're saying painting is not necessary? Are the decals not transparent? I've heard a lot of mixed things. Ideally I could just slap them on after a good cleaning.

I assumed that the decals are like all the others I've seen and not transparent. If they are transparent, I'd get different decals. Sanding the cab to wood is a complete bitch of a job.

#13959 11 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I assumed that the decals are like all the others I've seen and not transparent. If they are transparent, I'd get different decals. Sanding the cab to wood is a complete bitch of a job.

Alright I'm going to do one side of the backbox this way to test. The whole point of me getting these was so I could just slap them on.

#13960 11 months ago

Looking for a replacement clock face (new or used is fine). 03-8835 is the part number, it is the plastic that the decal goes on. The one on my machine was snapped and I made a home brew replacement, but it is not as clean as the original and the posts are off.

#13961 11 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

Alright I'm going to do one side of the backbox this way to test. The whole point of me getting these was so I could just slap them on.

As long as your surface is smooth and clean it will be fine

#13962 11 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

Be warned - Radcals are great but the whites and yellows are transparent. The old art does show through. I restore games and wouldn't do it that way for myself or a paying customer. You will be able to see the old art in these areas. You might be fine with it. I guess it comes down to personal choice. Taxi, Indiana Jones and TZ all have this problem. Taxi is worst being 95% light colors.

#13963 11 months ago

Yes thank you for that, after inspection on the one side of the head that I did you an see a faint image of the black lines on the yellow flipper. It won't be noticeable to anyone but me but I'm glad I did just that one part, I will paint the cabinet black from here on out.

#13964 11 months ago

The people that are saying this isn't an issue likely got really lucky and the art lined up. If it doesn't line up, it is noticeable. Better to be safe than sorry.

#13965 11 months ago

Experiencing a few issues that I'm hoping the group may be able to assist with. First, my diverter gate near in the ball trough area keeps getting stuck open so the balls keep auto-launching instead of allowing me to manually plunge. The gate itself moves freely when I test it by hand, but after a ball or two will inevitably just stay open. Any ideas how I can possibly get it back to normal?

Also, I'm now getting random powerballs, even when the ceramic ball isn't in play. I believe there are 2 or more sensors that check to see what ball is in play but I have no idea where those are or how to really test them to see which one could be messing up?

Any thoughts the group can provide would be awesome, thanks!

#13966 11 months ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Experiencing a few issues that I'm hoping the group may be able to assist with. First, my diverter gate near in the ball trough area keeps getting stuck open so the balls keep auto-launching instead of allowing me to manually plunge. The gate itself moves freely when I test it by hand, but after a ball or two will inevitably just stay open. Any ideas how I can possibly get it back to normal?
Also, I'm now getting random powerballs, even when the ceramic ball isn't in play. I believe there are 2 or more sensors that check to see what ball is in play but I have no idea where those are or how to really test them to see which one could be messing up?

sounds like the opto board because every one of these issues sounds like opto problems.

#13967 11 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

sounds like the opto board because every one of these issues sounds like opto problems.

Good to know. Is this something that can be repaired or do you need to replace the board itself? I’ll have to dust off my owners manual and see where the board is located and hopefully I can troubleshoot it a bit more from there.

#13968 11 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

Sure, its always better to do it fast instead of right.

#13969 11 months ago
Quoted from atg1469:

The random powerball issue could be a couple different things. The most likely can be found in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/36#post-3021952

You basically need to solder the board to the senor to get a reliable connection.

#13970 10 months ago

Re: RadCals...

Even "if" you don't sand to the wood (which is what I would do), I'd sand (lightly rough up w/ 120-150 grit) surface and spray or even as last resort, roll on (then lightly sand again) an enamel paint to seal and hide any old artwork. This because; if you don't and install the RadCals you very well may see the old artwork thru your new RadCals. Not a chance I'd be willing to take.

As they say: "an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure"

Just my .02 worth and I've installed many RadCals and decals too.

#13971 10 months ago

If light colors are semitransparent how do those colors look when placed on a black cabinet?

#13972 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Blocks the view of exactly what

The post is an attempt to fix the ball trap created by the robot that is not standard. Everybody adds crap to their games thinking it makes them better when it generally, just blocks views or creates ball traps.

Well I’m new at this.

#13973 10 months ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

you very well may see the old artwork thru your new RadCals

Agree. I’ve installed Radcals on 5-6 pins, and on the first 2 I sanded and filled any dents, but I didn’t paint over the old artwork. On my TOTAN, I didn’t notice the art underneath, but on my Fish Tales, I did. It doesn’t bother me, and it’s subtle, but you can see a slight double image through the Radcal. Painting a solid color is a good option. I’ll try to post a picture of the Fish Tales double image.

#13974 10 months ago

We didn’t do any prepping to wh2o and TZ.
They came out perfectly.
Indiana though…. That should have been worked on a tad prior to sticking the sides on.

IMG_0788 (resized).jpegIMG_0788 (resized).jpegIMG_3714 (resized).jpegIMG_3714 (resized).jpegIMG_4064 (resized).jpegIMG_4064 (resized).jpeg
#13975 10 months ago

Stupid question but how do I remove these carriage bolts in the side of the cabinet

#13976 10 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

Stupid question but how do I remove these carriage bolts in the side of the cabinet

Are they turning on you as you try to remove the nut?

#13977 10 months ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

If light colors are semitransparent how do those colors look when placed on a black cabinet?

They look fine but the black basecoat does darken the light colors. The effect is uniform so it totally works. I recommend painting the cabinet the primary color of the art. BoP got purple (for exsample).

20220220_195523 (resized).jpg20220220_195523 (resized).jpg
#13978 10 months ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Are they turning on you as you try to remove the nut?

I actually figured it out, I didn't realize that cylinder was a nut. The issue I'm having now is I can't figure out how to remove the flipper buttons. I've never had to on a game like this.

#13979 10 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

I actually figured it out, I didn't realize that cylinder was a nut. The issue I'm having now is I can't figure out how to remove the flipper buttons. I've never had to on a game like this.

No question is stupid.....look from inside of the cabinet for the flipper buttons and you'll figure it out quite easilly.

#13980 10 months ago
Quoted from GILV:

No question is stupid.....look from inside of the cabinet for the flipper buttons and you'll figure it out quite easilly.

I got it eventually the issue was that the nut was flush with the cabinet so I couldn't get it off but I eventually just used some needlenose pliers and was able to loosen it.

#13981 10 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

I can't figure out how to remove the flipper buttons.

2 ways for me:

1) Use a large socket for nut on inside. You can turn it by hand.
2) use needle nose pylers (grab edge of nut) to gently turn nut.

#13982 10 months ago

Thanks for sharing this! That's what I'm talking about. You can see the old artwork thru new RadCal.

pasted_imageYou can see artwork thru RadCal (resized).pngpasted_imageYou can see artwork thru RadCal (resized).png
#13983 10 months ago
Quoted from atg1469:

1. If you turn the game off while it is stuck open, does it close? If not, does it close if you nudge it with your finger? Likely it is getting stuck, it's just very, very light of a stick. A few things you could do - replace the nylon bushing, or try giving it a small light spray of graphite powder. If that doesn't help, the coil/relay plate may be starting to become magnetized..

2. There are two sensors. One in the subway before the slot machine, and the other in the trough. When does it go into powerball mode? Before the ball is fed to the shooter? Or mid-ball, after shooting the ball into the Piano or Camera? Either way, you likely have a sensor that needs to be cleaned, adjusted, or fixed.

#13984 10 months ago

I got it with the needlenose pliers

It worked out well. I painted cabinet black first.

tz radcal (resized).pngtz radcal (resized).png
#13985 10 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

They look fine but the black basecoat does darken the light colors. The effect is uniform so it totally works. I recommend painting the cabinet the primary color of the art. BoP got purple (for exsample).
[quoted image]

Thanks. I've got a brand new cabinet for my IJPA painted black and I'm torn between getting traditional decals or radcals and I was curious as to what the black cabinet would do to the radcals appearance.

#13986 10 months ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Thanks. I've got a brand new cabinet for my IJPA painted black and I'm torn between getting traditional decals or radcals and I was curious as to what the black cabinet would do to the radcals appearance.

Indy is a trough one. I would say black is ok for regular decals but might overpower Radcals. For Radcals, I would go yellow for the cabinet.

#13987 10 months ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Thanks for sharing this! That's what I'm talking about. You can see the old artwork thru new RadCal.
[quoted image]

Pretty clear on that Indy. My Fish Tales has a similar, slightly more subtle effect. You can see the outline of the boat.

2AA5F0AF-A44E-4102-8493-435B19E7E0EA (resized).jpeg2AA5F0AF-A44E-4102-8493-435B19E7E0EA (resized).jpeg
#13988 10 months ago

Question: why are radcals designed this way? Doesn't seem too rad to me....

#13989 10 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Question: why are radcals designed this way? Doesn't seem too rad to me....

I don't mind the fact that they're setup this way. The issue I have is they don't tell you that you should paint the cabinet first they act like you just slap it on.

#13990 10 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

1. If you turn the game off while it is stuck open, does it close? If not, does it close if you nudge it with your finger? Likely it is getting stuck, it's just very, very light of a stick. A few things you could do - replace the nylon bushing, or try giving it a small light spray of graphite powder. If that doesn't help, the coil/relay plate may be starting to become magnetized..
2. There are two sensors. One in the subway before the slot machine, and the other in the trough. When does it go into powerball mode? Before the ball is fed to the shooter? Or mid-ball, after shooting the ball into the Piano or Camera? Either way, you likely have a sensor that needs to be cleaned, adjusted, or fixed.

Yes, if I turn the game off the gate will remain open. It closes just fine if I move it manually, but eventually it’ll just stay open again. The idea of it being magnetized actually makes sense, it’s extremely easy to move back manually but obviously requires you to open the game to fix which sucks. I’ll test those potential fixes and see how it goes from there.

The powerball issue happens in both the slot machine and the main trough area. I’ll look at those boards/sensors now that I know where they are and will report back. Appreciate the help!

#13991 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Well I’m new at this.

The post isn't the problem. You, or someone, put the post there to stop the ball from getting trapped when the ball bounces out of the diverter and get wedged between the wireform and the robot. The robot isn't standard. Someone added that. Someone always adds that, and a slot machine, and a coin, and a camera, and.... ad nauseam. Mine came with all that crap too. If the robot was removed, that post would not be needed. Any ball that bounced out of the diverter and ff the wireform would fall to the playfield. The game designers were not perfect but they had a vested interest in not creating traps.

#13992 10 months ago

What would you guys say is a fairly neutral color as base underneath radcals? Maybe grey? Rustoleum makes a nice grey oil based paint. I used it on the sides of a Robotron arcade.

#13993 10 months ago

I “rainbow puked” my TZ years ago and finally am ready to undo all of that. I’d like an LED that mimics incandescent as much as possible, not a washed out white bulb. Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality LED that looks like an incandescent?

#13994 10 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I “rainbow puked” my TZ years ago and finally am ready to undo all of that. I’d like an LED that mimics incandescent as much as possible, not a washed out white bulb. Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality LED that looks like an incandescent?

If you look at the Comet Pinball "retro" LED's, they are an exact replacement for incandescent bulbs. I'm using them in my Attack From Mars and if you didn't know they were LED's you would swear they were incandescent.... Highly recommend them if you prefer the original look of older bulbs.

https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/retro

Chris

#13995 10 months ago

How would I go about changing the metal flaps on the ramps?

#13996 10 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

How would I go about changing the metal flaps on the ramps?

Remove the ramps. Remove the rivets. Remove old flap. Get or make new flap. Rivet it on.

You may need help with the new flaps and riveting.

If yours are in good shape, not all kitty bunkus, just the bluing worn off. I'd get some gun bluing and redo them.

LTG : )

#13997 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Remove the ramps. Remove the rivets. Remove old flap. Get or make new flap. Rivet it on.
You may need help with the new flaps and riveting.
If yours are in good shape, not all kitty bunkus, just the bluing worn off. I'd get some gun bluing and redo them.

No they’re totally fubar. Completely rusted and corroded and shit. They need to be totally replaced.

I’m aware I need to remove them lol. I just don’t now how to remove and reattach.

#13998 10 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

I just don’t now how to remove and reattach.

Near the top right side of Pinside is a search feature. There have been good posts of drilling out the rivets and replacing ramp flaps.

Some people have posted offers of help to reattach flaps. You might consider that so you don't need riveting tools and rivets.

#13999 10 months ago
Quoted from ProjektPat:

I just don’t now how to remove and reattach.

Youtube has help :

#14000 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Youtube has help :

Or here:
https://rampomatic.com/blogs/tutorials

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 280 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/280?hl=pinballizfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.