IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 277 of 305.
#13801 1 year ago
Quoted from Dalinar:

Appreciate some thoughts
Debating buying a TZ table (big fan) but new to owning pinball and only have a new stern. My worry is that the repairs will be beyond me very quickly, but I am willing to learning (technology background but not mechanical/electrical).
So bottom line wondering if I am setting myself up for a world of pain even if what I buy is well maintained.

If it’s in good working order to start I wouldn’t worry. Lots of help here if you have issues. New pin or old they all need work at times. Maintenance and repairs are part of ownership so you may as well welcome problems to fix.

#13802 1 year ago
Quoted from Dalinar:

Appreciate some thoughts
Debating buying a TZ table (big fan) but new to owning pinball and only have a new stern. My worry is that the repairs will be beyond me very quickly, but I am willing to learning (technology background but not mechanical/electrical).
So bottom line wondering if I am setting myself up for a world of pain even if what I buy is well maintained.

I learned pinball repair on my TZ, pinside great for assistance and direction to look at issues.

If you have known good working boards switch test is your best friend

#13803 1 year ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

I learned pinball repair on my TZ, pinside great for assistance and direction to look at issues.
If you have known good working boards switch test is your best friend

Clock is often an issue on some TZ's. But I put in new gears and other stuff and with Pinside saved me tons of time and hassle getting gears lined up properly. Point is there's tons of great advice available on Pinside. I am still below average compared to most here in pin repairs but TZ has been very solid except the above mentioned clock issue. Other few repairs on TZ I got fast answers.
Point I'm trying you make if you really want a TZ I encourage you to consider it as no harder to work on than many pins.

#13804 1 year ago
Quoted from Dalinar:

Appreciate some thoughts

Down the road, the TZ will likely be easier to work on than that Stern title.

#13805 1 year ago
Quoted from Dalinar:

Appreciate some thoughts

Had a reimport TZ and my current TZ, a non import both have been rock solid.

#13806 1 year ago
Quoted from Dalinar:

Appreciate some thoughts

I debated the exact same issue for my first game. I considered a restored TZ, or a nib pin. I was worried about upkeep, reliability. That was 2016. Now, looking back, I would get the game I want most, used or not. Condition is key, and check the boards and any issues with switches, mechs, etc. TZ is a loaded game, but I’ve had just as many (or few) issues with nib as with a good condition 90’s pin. Just my experience!

#13807 1 year ago

Picked up a very nice TZ. Just adding a few mods. I usually like mirror blades. Curious what looks better on TZ. Mirror or art blades? Also what options are there for back board. I’ve seen spirals and they look very cool

#13808 1 year ago

I went black mirror blades for my TZ and love it. Spendy, but really draws out the playfield

#13809 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

I went black mirror blades for my TZ and love it. Spendy, but really draws out the playfield

Pic? I’ll have to look

#13811 1 year ago
Quoted from Dalinar:

Appreciate some thoughts

Over the last 23 years mine has had few problems apart from the flippers requiring periodic rebuilds and an occasional new other coil sleeve or plunger.

- I had to bend the lock deflector to make the shot consistent
- I had to add a magnet to the bridge diverter so balls wouldn't bounce out occasionally
- One of the pop bumper yokes broke
- Clock optos cooked from incandescent bulbs
- The dot matrix display lost some columns
- The electrolytic capacitors gave me a saggy 12V supply that made the optos flaky
- The 1 cent gumball machine plastic has sagged twice, causing balls to occasionally hang up
- A couple of the microswitches wore out
- My switch 26 proximity sensor has gotten flaky thrice - once due to a broken coil, one due to flaky 2-conductor cable connectors fixed by soldering, once for unknown reasons so it's getting an aftermarket setup.

With the games being 30 years old, a previous owner having swapped in LED clock boards, installed new capacitors, and fixed switch 26 is likely.

#13812 12 months ago

These look awesome. It’s funny, when you posted these pics 6 months ago, I said the same thing, but then I went with standard mirror blades on mine, which look great, but the black mirror blades look especially good on this game. Lesson learned!

#13813 12 months ago

Is it difficult to avoid scratching the black mirror blades when lifting playfield. I think they look great

#13814 12 months ago

I'm pretty religious about using side protectors when lifting playfields, so hasn't been an issue for me.

Only downside is the seriously high price ($285+shipping). TZ is the prize of my collection and never leaving, so it was worth it for me

#13815 12 months ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

hassle getting gears lined up properly.

Done it a couple of times..I’m a Master clock gear rebuilder…LOL.

#13816 12 months ago

7th ball added.

#13817 12 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Picked up a very nice TZ. Just adding a few mods. I usually like mirror blades. Curious what looks better on TZ. Mirror or art blades? Also what options are there for back board. I’ve seen spirals and they look very cool

I installed these last week. I liked how they are a continuation of the playfield art.

7C0C408D-8946-495A-80D9-75FF4B12462D (resized).jpeg7C0C408D-8946-495A-80D9-75FF4B12462D (resized).jpeg
#13818 12 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

I installed these last week. I liked how they are a continuation of the playfield art.[quoted image]

I have these too but have yet to install. Was it difficult lining up the back panel with the two sides?

#13819 12 months ago
Quoted from discosucks:

I have these too but have yet to install. Was it difficult lining up the back panel with the two sides?

I did make a mistake on the back panel and will be receiving a replacement to hopefully get it right this time, LOL. I'll be rasing it about 1-1.5 inches, that should get it pretty darn close. In all honesty, it looks good as it is. Much better than having a blank back panel.

#13820 12 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

I installed these last week. I liked how they are a continuation of the playfield art.[quoted image]

Those look fantastic, are those specific side blades still available? I'm torn between those and mirror blades.

#13821 12 months ago
Quoted from FinnThelonious:

Those look fantastic, are those specific side blades still available? I'm torn between those and mirror blades.

They are still available on Ebay. Judge Dredd is the seller, I believe. Be warned though, these don't have the scratch resistant layer over them, thus they are not the easiest to install. If you remove the playfield, I'm sure that would help a lot.

#13822 12 months ago
Quoted from FinnThelonious:

Quoted from Norcalpin:

They are still available on Ebay. Judge Dredd is the seller, I believe. Be warned though, these don't have the scratch resistant layer over them, thus they are not the easiest to install. If you remove the playfield, I'm sure that would help a lot.

Correct Judge Dredd off Ebay is the seller. I bought mine from him many years ago. I also installed them when I was doing a full restoration and installed the back board first attached to a naked playfield so that I could align the sides up. I too like that it completes the sides and back all together.

20210812_064854(0) (resized).jpg20210812_064854(0) (resized).jpg20220416_075749 (resized).jpg20220416_075749 (resized).jpg
#13823 12 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Either is better than plain stock sides. Here's what I ended up doing.

PXL_20230426_140748918 (resized).jpgPXL_20230426_140748918 (resized).jpg
#13824 12 months ago

Mikespinball where did you get the target decals? That's a nice touch as well. Better than the plain yellow targets.

#13825 12 months ago
Quoted from Norcalpin:

Mikespinball where did you get the target decals? That's a nice touch as well. Better than the plain yellow targets.

https://www.pinballdecals.com/TZTargetDecalsPage.html

#13826 12 months ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Either is better than plain stock sides. Here's what I ended up doing.
[quoted image]

Thx! Tough call

#13827 12 months ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

Is it difficult to avoid scratching the black mirror blades when lifting playfield. I think they look great

Pick up a set of these https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-cabinet-assembly-blades to avoid scratching your blades when lifting the PF

#13828 12 months ago

I saw a post from last year about powder coating all the armor in a color called spiced black and I am intrigued. Have any of you done it or seen it in person. Generally I keep things pretty much stock on my games but have warmed up to slight mods lately and this sounds really cool. Like somebody said kind of looks likes space with the speckled black

#13829 12 months ago
Quoted from mmr61184:

I saw a post from last year about powder coating all the armor in a color called spiced black and I am intrigued. Have any of you done it or seen it in person. Generally I keep things pretty much stock on my games but have warmed up to slight mods lately and this sounds really cool. Like somebody said kind of looks likes space with the speckled black

This one might be a great option for TZ. Black with a subtle sparkle. I bet several people have good black powder examples to share.

FF1D9498-0C63-421C-8188-86E73DF800D1 (resized).pngFF1D9498-0C63-421C-8188-86E73DF800D1 (resized).png
#13830 12 months ago

Excited to report that our first 10 toppers are officially on their way to their new homes today!
Photo Apr 18 2023, 7 35 03 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Apr 18 2023, 7 35 03 PM (resized).jpg
Our remaining Batch 1 orders will be notified of their pending shipping dates soon as well with all orders being finalized by the end of May. We’re super excited to get these beauties into owners hands soon and look forward to hearing your own real world feedback after seeing it in action!

Still time to jump on the waitlist for future orders too!

https://www.teppinball.com/store/p/tz-topper

Photo Apr 27 2023, 12 39 46 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Apr 27 2023, 12 39 46 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Apr 27 2023, 12 43 07 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Apr 27 2023, 12 43 07 PM (resized).jpg
#13831 12 months ago
Quoted from teppinball:

Excited to report that our first 10 toppers are officially on their way to their new homes today!
[quoted image]
Our remaining Batch 1 orders will be notified of their pending shipping dates soon as well with all orders being finalized by the end of May. We’re super excited to get these beauties into owners hands soon and look forward to hearing your own real world feedback after seeing it in action!
Still time to jump on the waitlist for future orders too!
https://www.teppinball.com/store/p/tz-topper
[quoted image][quoted image]

Fantastic. Good job guys! I can’t wait for mine to arrive.

#13832 12 months ago

I can tell by the size of the boxes these are packed real well. it’s almost double the width of the actual product.

#13833 12 months ago
Quoted from PinballGalore:

I can tell by the size of the boxes these are packed real well. it’s almost double the width of the actual product.

Boxes within boxes!! Wait til you see the actual topper packaging itself

#13834 12 months ago
Quoted from atg1469:

Boxes within boxes!! Wait til you see the actual topper packaging itself

Looks awesome! I just jumped on the wait list for the June run!

1 week later
#13835 11 months ago

Greetings Twilight Zone fans,

I'm looking for a single plastic piece replacement, part number 31-1765-12. It is the triangular part above the upper right flipper. New or used is fine--just looking for one in good shape, not melted like mine. PM me if you have one you can sell.

Thanks

-Nate

TZ 31-1765-12 (resized).jpgTZ 31-1765-12 (resized).jpg
#13836 11 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

I'm looking for a single plastic piece replacement, part number 31-1765-12. It is the triangular part above the upper right flipper. New or used is fine--just looking for one in good shape, not melted like mine. PM me if you have one you can sell.
Thanks
-Nate
[quoted image]

Pm sent

#13837 11 months ago

Clock is working PERFECTLY in test. to the point, slow, fast, forward and back.

Yet during gameplay doesn’t activate. I’m used to it sometimes taking a break in the past, but now it’s just not responding at all.

What could be the problem?
Thanx in advance.

#13838 11 months ago
Quoted from Nate:

Thanks
-Nate
[quoted image]

Make sure you take care of the root problem. Otherwise that flasher will stay on and fry the next plastic you put over it before you put the glass back on…

#13839 11 months ago

Yes, agree and thanks. The transistor is fine, it occurs if a connector on the Power board in the head comes loose. I'm going to put an LED instead incandescent flasher bulb.

-Nate

#13840 11 months ago

Yet during gameplay doesn’t activate. I’m used to it sometimes taking a break in the past, but now it’s just not responding at all.
Thanx in advance.

Check the setting A.2 25 "Disable Clock" is not set to Yes. If it is not, does the clock test itself on powerup?

#13841 11 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Check the setting A.2 25 "Disable Clock" is not set to Yes. If it is not, does the clock test itself on powerup?

yea made sure to turn disable clock off.

Clock runs when machine is turned on. It also does its thing between games and between players in a multi player game. Just not during modes I guess.

#13842 11 months ago

yea made sure to turn disable clock off.
Clock runs when machine is turned on. It also does its thing between games and between players in a multi player game. Just not during modes I guess.

Okay, so this means that it's a soft fail. This would indicate that it's getting an occasional bad reading from an opto, or, your hour interrupter is off by 180-degrees.

Put it in a slow clock-test mode, forward or backward, and let it run for a longish while. Like a minute or more. See what happens.

#13843 11 months ago

Thanks Coyote , I’ll report back

#13844 11 months ago

I see alot of pyramid with the single eye. I’m a big TZ fan but don’t recall the reference to the series. Or is it just the Power mini pf?

#13845 11 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I see alot of pyramid with the single eye. I’m a big TZ fan but don’t recall the reference to the series. Or is it just the Power mini pf?

Pretty sure the pyramid, like the gumball machine, are game specific.

Here's a great list of TZ references in the pin: https://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/2684/tz-tie-ins.htm

#13846 11 months ago

Just finished building an old school TV topper for the greatest pinball machine ever made.

PXL_20230510_155437562 (resized).jpgPXL_20230510_155437562 (resized).jpg
#13847 11 months ago
Quoted from MasterClyde:

Just finished building an old school TV topper for the greatest pinball machine ever made.
[quoted image]

Looks very cool.....

What speaker light kit did you use?

#13848 11 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looks very cool.....
What speaker light kit did you use?

The blue set that pinball life offers:
https://www.pinballlife.com/britesound-sf-led-speaker-light-kit-for-williamsbally-wpc-wpc-95-machines.html

I have a set of Pioneer TS-G1640R speakers, and the light ring fits perfectly onto the insignia without having to use an adhesive.

#13849 11 months ago

Hello TZ pinball owners. Is it possible for one to submit a picture of the underside
of the center slot machine kickout cover plastic.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
I looked at all the photos and I could not find any.
I was hoping to get and OEM piece picture.
Many thanks, cheers.

#13850 11 months ago

Thanx in advance.

Do you have a clock error alert when you turn on the game?
I had a similar issue with my clock years ago. Clock would work fine in test, all optos would trigger, but I had a clock error on startup. My issue was that when I took the clock apart and put it back together that I messed up the hour and the minute hand so on startup it wouldnt hit the right optos in the right order (or something like that). Took me forever to realize, but after I swapped the clock hands back it worked perfectly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
$ 14.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.50
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 277 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/277 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.