IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 264 of 305.
#13151 1 year ago

Both the chrome and black look amazing. I have a very slight preference for the black as The fingerprints on my Tron chrome drive me insane. It is beautiful when clean and not being played. The black always looks nice. TZ is such a great game in both play and looks. Good luck with your decision.

#13152 1 year ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Both the chrome and black look amazing. I have a very slight preference for the black as The fingerprints on my Tron chrome drive me insane. It is beautiful when clean and not being played. The black always looks nice. TZ is such a great game in both play and looks. Good luck with your decision.

Yes, the black powder coat looks great on TZ. I have chrome armor on my TZ and it also looks really nice. A quick swipe or two with a soft microfiber cloth and the fingerprints are gone and the chrome looks perfect again.

Gord

DSCN3461 (resized).JPGDSCN3461 (resized).JPG
P1000066 (resized).JPGP1000066 (resized).JPG
P1000067 (resized).JPGP1000067 (resized).JPG

#13153 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

I’m looking for a 3rd magnet kit with instructions?
Anything available?
Thanks!
Richard

I don't believe there is a kit per se, but here is a link to get you started..https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/237#post-6776841
also Dumbass makes a modified opto board that you can use to make this all work

#13154 1 year ago
Quoted from GILV:

Yes indeed, looks great.
Did you get the chromed coin door, the chromed legs and the chrome lock down bar all at the same place?

Yep, Pinballplating.com, Chris Royalty. I did my CV in his chrome too.

#13155 1 year ago
Quoted from TZ_Ryan:

Here is a buddy's machine we restored a few years ago in gloss black powdercoat
[quoted image][quoted image]

What are those speakers doing?! Looks really cool

#13156 1 year ago

Hey all, I’ve got a sample TZ with the third magnet that has a light red clock housing and front lens which needs to be repaired or replaced (the rear screw holes on the housing are stripped and the clock keeps falling onto the playfield). My question is whether the light red housing is factory original — if it is I’ll try to repair it and if not I’ll replace it with a new white housing. Thoughts?

#13157 1 year ago
Quoted from Smokenmirrors:

Hey all, I’ve got a sample TZ with the third magnet that has a light red clock housing and front lens which needs to be repaired or replaced (the rear screw holes on the housing are stripped and the clock keeps falling onto the playfield). My question is whether the light red housing is factory original — if it is I’ll try to repair it and if not I’ll replace it with a new white housing. Thoughts?

Red clock housing would be an aftermarket item.

#13158 1 year ago

This was the first one commercially available in 2002 from TZclockhousings.

TZ_clock (resized).JPGTZ_clock (resized).JPG
#13159 1 year ago

My question is whether the light red housing is factory original — if it is I’ll try to repair it and if not I’ll replace it with a new white housing

I just replaced my red housing with the clear one, and I really like it. I wanted blue, but I can't find one. I do have my red one that I replaced, if you can't find a new one and you want to stick with red. I'm happy to send it to you.

#13160 1 year ago

Thanks all. I asked the question because there were a couple of sale listings on the internet that stated (without evidence) that some early TZs were sold with light red housings for a very limited time. I wanted to see if anyone had heard of this. My sample TZ didn’t have any other obvious aftermarket items (and light red housings don’t seem to be generally available on the aftermarket) so I thought this was a possibility.

#13161 1 year ago

I wanted to see if anyone had heard of this.

Never heard of it.

The clock face changed during production from white to colors. But TZs all came with clear clock bodies.

Colored bodies have been repo'd by several sources through the years.

LTG : )

#13162 1 year ago

Here’s a pic of my housing.

4C25DAFF-A07D-4A42-909F-3370FB45EAD1 (resized).jpeg4C25DAFF-A07D-4A42-909F-3370FB45EAD1 (resized).jpeg
#13163 1 year ago

Thanks again. Looks like I’ll be switching to white!

#13164 1 year ago

some early TZs were sold with light red housings for a very limited time

Absolutely not.

#13165 1 year ago

Guess you can’t always believe what you read.

#13166 1 year ago

Yup! And also thanks to Pinkitten for the offer!

#13167 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I just replaced my red housing with the clear one

Was it the semi-opaque clear like the original, or was it completely glossy like that red one Zee posted? I've been trying to get my hands on a completely transparent/glossy clear housing for a while now. Seems everybody that makes the clear, makes it semi-opaque like the factory original.

#13168 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Was it the semi-opaque clear like the original, or was it completely glossy like that red one Zee posted? I've been trying to get my hands on a completely transparent/glossy clear housing for a while now. Seems everybody that makes the clear, makes it semi-opaque like the factory original.

Here is the one I just installed…

447818FE-42FC-446D-A90C-552D37EA1DBB (resized).jpeg447818FE-42FC-446D-A90C-552D37EA1DBB (resized).jpegF4E870F7-BF96-4B90-82FC-996332B68C93 (resized).jpegF4E870F7-BF96-4B90-82FC-996332B68C93 (resized).jpeg
#13169 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Let me look through my vast archive of parts this weekend - I may have one I can let go.

#13170 1 year ago

Selling all my old TZ plastics. Make me an offer. Typical old plastics condition. Warped, yellowed, chipped, smelly, cracked,ugly, faded, some are better than others but better than missing or completely broke in half pieces.Serous folks message me! Curious folks most likely have new great condition plastics. $25 + shipping. Whoever buys it without lowballing me gets the original Clock housing not bad but slightly yellow…. Peace out brothers!!

#13171 1 year ago

What is the easiest and safest way to create holes in radcals (for bolts) without ruining the radcals? Exacto knife? Drill?

#13172 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

What is the easiest and safest way to create holes in radcals (for bolts) without ruining the radcals? Exacto knife? Drill?

A new sharp utility knife blade is good. I found it give better control than an x-acto knife.

#13173 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

I use an Exacto knife for the holes and an utility knife if I need to trim down an edge. New blades are a must.

#13174 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

100% a drill.

For smaller bolts, just a sharp wood bit works.

For the larger holes, like flipper buttons, start button, and the plunger hole, start it with a drill bit, then take a drum sander attachment on the end of a Dremel and gently sand the hole diameter wider until you hit wood. Kinda like a router.

Utility knives and Xacto knives are such a pain in the ass, not sharp enough, and you’ll never get a perfect shape.

#13175 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

100% a drill.
For smaller bolts, just a sharp wood bit works.
For the larger holes, like flipper buttons, start button, and the plunger hole, start it with a drill bit, then take a drum sander attachment on the end of a Dremel and gently sand the hole diameter wider until you hit wood. Kinda like a router.
Utility knives and Xacto knives are such a pain in the ass, not sharp enough, and you’ll never get a perfect shape.

Thank you

Cannot figure out why Mirco sells radcals without at least having holes pre-drilled on the front decals for the buttons.

#13176 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

I use a very small diamond shaped bit with my dremel and it cuts very easily and is easy to control. I’ve tried an exacto and made mistakes. I use a flashlight from inside the cabinet to identify the holes for bolts through the Radcal. Then I gently press the bit through the center and cut the hole out. It’s pretty easy. Others use utility knives or drills. Whatever works for you! This works for me. I’ve done about 5 pins in Radcals now.

#13177 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Thank you
Cannot figure out why Mirco sells radcals without at least having holes pre-drilled on the front decals for the buttons.

Because each cabinet is slightly different, and the most important thing is that the Radcal is lined up correctly at the front edge of the cabinet and just under the rail. Then you can identify your flipper hole location and cut it. If the flipper hole was pre-cut, the front edge of the Radcal might overhang the front of the cab, requiring a lengthy trim, or be receded back and not be flush with the front corner at all, which would be hard to fix. That’s my understanding anyway!

#13178 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Exactly. He said it better than I. I use this method for all my bolt holes, flipper button holes and larger cuts like the start button and shooter rod housing.

#13179 1 year ago

I appreciate you all babysitting me through this. I know this is the owner's thread -- and not a tech thread.

So many things you don't think about on a first-time project, that really don't get mentioned in Youtube videos.

#13180 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

I know this is the owner's thread -- and not a tech thread.

There are no threads about TZ that AREN'T tech threads.

TZ is notorious as one of the most difficult machines to own, work on, and keep at 100%. This thread and a number of the owners and experts in it are the main reason my TZ has been so reliable and great playing for so many years.

#13181 1 year ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

A new sharp utility knife blade is good. I found it give better control than an x-acto knife.

"Sharp" is the key. Hand steady.

#13182 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

TZ is notorious as one of the most difficult machines to own, work on, and keep at 100%.

I've found it to be the exact opposite too. And not a bear to clean. This is in commercial use.

I think a big part of it is when something breaks. Fix it right. Don't patch it. If you patch it, you'll be working on it all the time.

#13183 1 year ago

Working on my TZ error gumball popper lane sw #51
In switch test it engages, problem is actuator is below gumball subway.
I know normal solution is bend actuator or adjust switch.
Switch is in fixed location due to screws no adjustment of switch position

This switch was working before, pretty dam sure it was, have had this game 12 ++ years

Thoughts before I damage actuator, am I missing something?

#13184 1 year ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

am I missing something?

Remove switch. Slightly adjust said switch. Put switch back.

Live happily ever after.

#13185 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I wanted blue, but I can't find one.

Quoted from Miguel351:

I've been trying to get my hands on a completely transparent/glossy clear housing for a while now.

So are these TZ clock housings unicorns?

tz_clock_unicorn.jpgtz_clock_unicorn.jpg

Can't remember where or when I bought them. I want to say I got them from Kerry (Mantis) because I found them in a bunch of Mantis parts.

#13186 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

[quoted image]
Can't remember where or when I bought them. I want to say I got them from Kerry (Mantis) because I found them in a bunch of Mantis parts.

I’ll take the blue one, Please! They both look really nice!

#13187 1 year ago

My blue one came from PDI!

I still have my old one but the screw holes on the back are stripped.

01B4E36B-C1F9-4EB4-9781-E1F49BCACD79 (resized).jpeg01B4E36B-C1F9-4EB4-9781-E1F49BCACD79 (resized).jpeg

#13188 1 year ago
Quoted from jid:

[quoted image]

PDI still offers the silver mirror clock housing…for $185.

#13189 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

[quoted image]

I did just find a new clear one on EBay. Wasn’t cheap, but it’s totally clear like yours. I’ll prob switch mine to that unless a blue one pops up.

#13190 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Not so much unicorns, per se, but just not being made right now. They seem to be made in batches every few years.

#13191 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

I've done many RadCals... this is what I use with my Dremel for all button holes & shooter openings. It's a 1/8" flush cut trim router bit. It does the cleanest, nicest and quickest holes with no mistakes. Note: I will lightly sand the hole / opening out first (before painting it) to clean off any burs that would mimic the flush cut drill process onto my RadCal.

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-12109-mr0105.html?glCountry=US&glCurrency=USD&ne_ppc_id=17660118906&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3c6it57e-wIVcTStBh0E2AD9EAQYAiABEgILr_D_BwE

All the other bolts, just a new sharp box cutter blade in a hand tool to cut out. It's forgiving because the head on bolt will cover any reasonable marks.

BTW: I don't like the button holes pre cut as you have to use them as the alignment for the entire RadCal. I ask and prefer them not predrilled for that reason.

#13192 1 year ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

It's a 1/8" flush cut drill bit

Actually, it's a flush trim router bit. But yes, I can see how that would work well. Those are very handy for trimming one material laid on top of another that already has the desired profile.

#13193 1 year ago
Quoted from jid:

[quoted image]

That piano looks badass..doesn't look 3D printed.

#13194 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

That piano looks badass..doesn't look 3D printed.

I think that’s the same piano I have. From PDI. $99.99.

50AD60B7-2E7C-46F8-8F2D-B7832AC3ED86 (resized).png50AD60B7-2E7C-46F8-8F2D-B7832AC3ED86 (resized).png5C1C7F1E-25CD-4174-B346-7261B6CED8AF (resized).png5C1C7F1E-25CD-4174-B346-7261B6CED8AF (resized).png
#13195 1 year ago

I’m looking for the spiral ramp for TZ any leads? Thanks in advance.

601FC197-A913-47F8-80BB-68D726E3E653 (resized).jpeg601FC197-A913-47F8-80BB-68D726E3E653 (resized).jpeg
#13196 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I think that’s the same piano I have. From PDI. $99.99. [quoted image][quoted image]

The piano was on my TZ when I bought it but I’m pretty sure it is PDI. It is a pretty solid piece.

#13197 1 year ago

Laser cut mirror mod for the clock face that I made some years ago. Adds a nice touch.
twilightzone-clockface (resized).jpgtwilightzone-clockface (resized).jpg

#13198 1 year ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Laser cut mirror mod for the clock face that I made some years ago. Adds a nice touch.
[quoted image]

Pretty stinking awesome! Do you have any left over or would you consider another run?

#13199 1 year ago
Quoted from WannabeWizard:

I’m looking for the spiral ramp for TZ any leads? Thanks in advance.
[quoted image]

Here's the old ad for them... you can reach out to Davi to see if anymore are available.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-spiral-ramp-last-one#post-5987556

#13200 1 year ago

This is riveted to the apron. I was thinking of removing it but not sure if it's worth the hassle. Why would this be here? Distributor id#?

20221204_134012 (resized).jpg20221204_134012 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 264 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/264?hl=wannabewizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.