IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 305.
#12851 1 year ago

Just broke down my TZ to move upstairs. Head off playfield out. Put back together. New batteries. Won’t hold memory. Would appreciate any direction. Thank you all!

Aaron

#12852 1 year ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Would appreciate any direction.

Meter in hand. Battery power getting onto the CPU ?

Battery holder failure happens.

LTG : )

#12853 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Meter in hand. Battery power getting onto the CPU ?
Battery holder failure happens.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd! I’ll investigate further tomorrow. What is JJP waiting on! Hire LTG for his infinite pinball knowledge!

#12854 1 year ago

Just broke down my TZ to move upstairs. Head off playfield out. Put back together. New batteries. Won’t hold memory. Would appreciate any direction. Thank you all!
Aaron

I worked on a TZ where sometimes the memory would hold and sometimes not... turns out the battery holder had some minor corrosion damage on one of the paddles and it made marginal connection with the negative terminal of the center cell. I found the problem by waiting for the memory to fail on boot and measured the DC voltage across the entire battery pack and compared that to the sum of the voltage measured across each of the 3 batteries. It didn't match so I inspected the holder and found the bad paddle.

#12855 1 year ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I worked on a TZ where sometimes the memory would hold and sometimes not... turns out the battery holder had some minor corrosion damage on one of the paddles and it made marginal connection with the negative terminal of the center cell. I found the problem by waiting for the memory to fail on boot and measured the DC voltage across the entire batter pack and compared that to the sum of the voltage measured across each of the 3 batteries. It didn't match so I inspected the holder and found the bad paddle.

Thank you! Hope to get it resolved this evening. Or at least discover the problem

#12856 1 year ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I worked on a TZ where sometimes the memory would hold and sometimes not... turns out the battery holder had some minor corrosion damage on one of the paddles and it made marginal connection with the negative terminal of the center cell. I found the problem by waiting for the memory to fail on boot and measured the DC voltage across the entire batter pack and compared that to the sum of the voltage measured across each of the 3 batteries. It didn't match so I inspected the holder and found the bad paddle.

Nice Info!

#12857 1 year ago

Toilet bowl cleaner on a Q tip will make short work of any green corrosion on Battery terminals, clean with rubbing alcohol after and good to go ✅

#12858 1 year ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

Toilet bowl cleaner on a Q tip will make short work of any green corrosion on Battery terminals, clean with rubbing alcohol after and good to go ✅

I've not found that to be a permanent solution, and this was one of those situations. The PO of the game removed the leaking batteries, cleaned the holder, and installed new batteries but the contacts eventually oxidized and resulted in low voltage output.

The terminal coatings (oxidation preventative) on the battery holder are damaged/removed by the battery goo. You can clean it up but eventually the connection will degrade again.

#12859 1 year ago
Quoted from fast_in_muskoka:

I took your advice. I had one paddle with acid damage. Cleaned up nicely. Looks new everything else looked rock solid! Thanks guys!

#12860 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

The door area in the center of the playfield was designed to use 4 flashers, using two small circuit boards for flash lamps under the large door panel.
This design is still in the manual, and shown in the red prototype panel.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
(Pictures from HEP gallery.)
During the conversation with JIMAKOST (he is doing a cool TZ scratch build), he mentioned that he is looking for lamp boards, including a door lamp board. My goal was to create a door panel with the integration of 4 flashers, operated by 4 different playfield flashers.
Aftermarket mods with small PCB only replace the GUM and BALL flashers, that's the only chance for sample/production games, only 2 holes are available for flasher extension.
The LOCK 1-2 flashers cannot be installed into these boards (unless you are ready to hack it) - there is no hole on the PCB for extra flashers.
Few years ago GLM introduced a lamp board with 4 flashers - however the control was based on only 2 playfield flashers (GUM, BALL), not 4.
My door panel contains all feature lamps (original twist-in design for bulb or LED's) and the 4 flasher area, controlled by 4 flashers as per designer's intention. Every insert area contains 4 small LED flashers for even light distribution, and the feature lamp remain in the center. Connection to factory lamp harness via plug&play harness, no soldering required.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Thanks to Coyote for clarification of flasher locations. I can create more lamp boards, if there is a demand.

Added 19 months ago: Further info here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-door-lamp-board-flashers-add-on

TZ door flasher board interest check: I will create most probably the last batch in 2022-2023.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-door-lamp-board-flashers-add-on

#12861 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

TZ door flasher board interest check: I will create most probably the last batch in 2022-2023.

I'm interested. Where do I order?

#12862 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

In PM.

#12863 1 year ago

Aaron

Stupid question, but are your batteries in correctly? (I've done it wrong many times..)

#12864 1 year ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Troubleshooting the gumball machine. The motor doesn't run during any of the tests, and the error message tells me to check the Geneva switch.
Switch checks OK. Wiring to the motor checks OK. So, after referring to the schematic, I'm leaning toward problems with Q31, Q32 or U3 which relate to the motor drive circuit.
Anyone here ever see an issue with these, relating to the gumball machine motor? I'll probably go ahead and replace all three because it's such a PITA to remove the driver board. Once it's out, I'll probably re-cap the board as the big caps are slightly bulging on the tops.

ramegoom did you figure this out? mine is doing the same thing and producing the same error message

#12865 1 year ago
Quoted from drew88:

ramegoom did you figure this out? mine is doing the same thing and producing the same error message

Got it working waaaay back then. The switch inside the base of the gumball machine was out of adjustment as I recall. I think it was stuck closed.

Worked normally since then.

#12866 1 year ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Got it working waaaay back then. The switch inside the base of the gumball machine was out of adjustment as I recall. I think it was stuck closed.
Worked normally since then.

Thanks for the reply. I just figured out mine as well, the connector for the power to the motor was loose. a little jiggle and everything started working again. Got "Lost in the Zone" on the very next game!

#12867 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Stupid question, but are your batteries in correctly? (I've done it wrong many times..)

The very first thing I checked! LOL

It’s all good now. Had a little seepage causing a disturbance in the connection. When I changed batteries must have broke some residue loose and would allow the batteries do its job.

Thanks Coyote

#12868 1 year ago

My TZ and TAF both have an interesting issue. Both keep the time perfectly, but the date is always off. There are times where I don't turn them on for weeks and the date shows up as the day I last had them on, but the time of day is dead on balls accurate. This makes no sense to me. The batteries are fresh and there is no acid damage on either MPU board. They even maintained the time well when unplugged for 8 hours during transit to and from the GSPF show this year.

Thoughts? Answers?

#12869 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

So the regular door board doesn’t have flashers? This modded board includes 4 built in?

#12870 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

So the regular door board doesn’t have flashers? This modded board includes 4 built in?

Yes. And it is super cool. Added this from the last run and it is awesome! Especially if you like bright flashy things!

#12871 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Correct - was intended in original production design, but dropped after prototypes were made. (SOME Samples have the wiring for the top two, but bottom two were removed before Samples were made in factory.)

#12872 1 year ago

The door panel flashers are super cool, but I can see why they removed them from the Lock 1 & 2 panels early on. When they flash, especially during powerball, or when the ball is in the pops, kinda throws me off sometimes with how many locked balls I have. Draws attention to the wrong thing.

But the flashers under GUM and BALL are super rad no matter what. Personally, I’d have bought a board that just restores the incandescent flashers there, but alas.

#12873 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

The door panel flashers are super cool, but I can see why they removed them from the Lock 1 & 2 panels early on. When they flash, especially during powerball, or when the ball is in the pops, kinda throws me off sometimes with how many locked balls I have. Draws attention to the wrong thing.
But the flashers under GUM and BALL are super rad no matter what. Personally, I’d have bought a board that just restores the incandescent flashers there, but alas.

I think it's not distractive, it's just a short pulse, as a part of lightshow, not a steady ON lamp status.
The original design was with 4 flashers, then reduced to 2 flashers, then no flashers at all. Simple cost saving.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-door-lamp-board-flashers-add-on#post-6188233

The 4 flashers represents the 4 corner of the playfield, and the lightshow it's pretty cool during ramp shots, multiball, Powerball and in more events.

You can deactivate Lock1 and Lock2 flashers. Please contact me in PM for details. If you are not happy with the board, I am willing to buy it back, no problem. Maybe I will create an incandescent version for you. Who knows

#12874 1 year ago
Quoted from Davi:

If you are not happy with the board, I am willing to buy it back, no problem.

I am incredibly happy with the board! I absolutely love it, and I think it’s a must-have mod. I absolutely value your work and dedication to the hobby.

That said, if you do ever decide to make an incandescent version of the board, I will 100% buy it. I keep all of my games incandescent since I prefer the look.

#12875 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I am incredibly happy with the board! I absolutely love it, and I think it’s a must-have mod. I absolutely value your work and dedication to the hobby.
That said, if you do ever decide to make an incandescent version of the board, I will 100% buy it. I keep all of my games incandescent since I prefer the look.

So is this plug-in play or do I have to make another harness. Is it still looks like $120?

#12876 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

So is this plug-in play or do I have to make another harness. Is it still looks like $120?

It comes with a harness and instructions. It’s really a neat upgrade!

#12877 1 year ago
Quoted from Purdue:

It comes with a harness and instructions. It’s really a neat upgrade!

You have one? I already have Pin Stadium's, wonder how that would look. I do like Extra Bling.....I'd be in if it don't break the bank..

#12878 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

You have one? I already have Pin Stadium's, wonder how that would look. I do like Extra Bling.....I'd be in if it don't break the bank..

How is the pinstadium on TZ?
I have all the CGC remakes and like the RBG effects CGC have incorporated into them.

Richard

#12879 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

How is the pinstadium on TZ?
I have all the CGC remakes and like the RBG effects CGC have incorporated into them.
Richard

Actually set the G.I. to antique yellow whithish...the flashers to blueish...kinda cool. Don't think it was worth the money though. Lesson learned.

#12880 1 year ago

I have a set of Pinstadiums I purchased for my TZ but never installed. Instead, I have mini post lights on main and mini PF, trough lighting, and Brite Mod evo lights on the pop bumpers. That and a full LED set and mirror blades and I didn't need the extra lighting any more

Similar tactic on my AFMr. The combination of mini post lights, scoop lights, trough lighting, mirror blades, translucent rubbers and better lit bumper caps and didn't feel the need for pin stadiums anymore

#12881 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Yeah i bought one about a year ago.

Can’t help ya on the pin stadiums I considered them and ended up adding 5 spot lights and lit star posts that i am very happy with. But, if my memory serves the board harness ties in to the flashers with inline connectors on the new harness. Caution though i’m a little fuzzy.

#12882 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

I have a set of Pinstadiums I purchased for my TZ but never installed. Instead, I have mini post lights on main and mini PF, trough lighting, and Brite Mod evo lights on the pop bumpers. That and a full LED set and mirror blades and I didn't need the extra lighting any more
Similar tactic on my AFMr. The combination of mini post lights, scoop lights, trough lighting, mirror blades, translucent rubbers and better lit bumper caps and didn't feel the need for pin stadiums anymore

Nice!
Yes my playfield is already bright enough. Those pop bumper lights sound very cool!

Any other pop bumper lighting kits to consider?

Thanks!
Richard

#12883 1 year ago

Nice!
Yes my playfield is already bright enough. Those pop bumper lights sound very cool!
Thanks!
Richard

I've only used the Brite Mods:

https://www.pinballlife.com/britemods-store.html

I have Brite Rings in my TZ, and EVO's in my AFMr and ST:TNG. It is style choice which way you go

The other choice with pop bumpers is whether you want to keep the original bodies, or swap out for different colors/styles. In my ST:TNG and Godzilla, I swapped out for Zitt 's clear bodies, skirt, and bases http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/PopBumper.php?Bally

If there is a lot on the playfield or you want the look of the pop bumper caps floating or you want more light in the pop bumper areas, the clear pop bumper bodies/skirts/bases make a huge difference.

Note that the Brite Mod lighting is VERY easy to install. Swapping out the pop bumper bodies is more involved, usually requiring cutting power lines to the pop bumper and take the assembly apart. Cary Hardy has a great video on rebuilding pop bumpers that shows the process

#12884 1 year ago

It’s finally here! Now I remember why this game is always in the top 10. A masterpiece.

81AF513F-73F4-46AF-98A2-A2AAE7C6877B (resized).jpeg81AF513F-73F4-46AF-98A2-A2AAE7C6877B (resized).jpeg
#12885 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It’s finally here! Now I remember why this game is always in the top 10. A masterpiece. [quoted image]

Looks good. I always thought you were a little older.

#12886 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Looks good. I always thought you were a little older.

I’m a kid at heart!

#12887 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It’s finally here! Now I remember why this game is always in the top 10. A masterpiece. [quoted image]

Nice!!!

#12888 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:Nice!
Thanks!
Richard

I picked these up used… i’ll have to dig to see what brand they were. Really like them… leds are color matched to pop color.

54E79924-DE66-42D6-B878-84508EA95099 (resized).jpeg54E79924-DE66-42D6-B878-84508EA95099 (resized).jpeg
#12889 1 year ago
Quoted from Purdue:

I picked these up used… i’ll have to dig to see what brand they were. Really like them… leds are color matched to pop color.[quoted image]

They look sharp! Looks like the Brite mod evo.

Richard

#12890 1 year ago

Comet sells “pop bumper rings” which are by color. Check them out. I think I paid 25 bucks for all 3. They are very cool also and super bright!

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/pop-bumper-rings?_pos=1&_sid=f8f9dceeb&_ss=r&variant=12387010510892

#12891 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

The other choice with pop bumpers is whether you want to keep the original bodies, or swap out for different colors/styles.

One of the things I did when I rebuilt my pop bumpers was replace the skirts to match the caps. Gave it a neat effect, I think.

#12892 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

One of the things I did when I rebuilt my pop bumpers was replace the skirts to match the caps. Gave it a neat effect, I think.

Replacing the skirts are a pain. I have colored skirts to match but are still sitting in a box.

#12893 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Replacing the skirts are a pain. I have colored skirts to match but are still sitting in a box.

Yeah. It's a do once and forget about it. I took advantage of having the pop bumpers completely apart anyways.

#12894 1 year ago
Quoted from Purdue:

I picked these up used… i’ll have to dig to see what brand they were. Really like them… leds are color matched to pop color.[quoted image]

They are EVO Brite lights. I have them on all my machine's. Love to match the caps to the color of the LEDs and that they have cool white shining down to light up the pop bumper areas which is usually dark.
I purchase them at Pinball Life:
https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html

20190825_122734 (resized).jpg20190825_122734 (resized).jpg20190923_135925 (resized).jpg20190923_135925 (resized).jpg20200414_112829 (resized).jpg20200414_112829 (resized).jpg20200710_113100 (resized).jpg20200710_113100 (resized).jpg20210511_163348 (resized).jpg20210511_163348 (resized).jpg20220411_165755 (resized).jpg20220411_165755 (resized).jpg
#12895 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

They are EVO Brite lights. I have them on all my machine's. Love to match the caps to the color of the LEDs and that they have cool white shining down to light up the pop bumper areas which is usually dark.
I purchase them at Pinball Life:
https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

SORCERER!

#12896 1 year ago

LEDs and that they have cool white shining down to light up the pop bumper areas which is usually dark

I bought them for TZ, and ended up giving them away. If they had WARM whites shining down, then I'd be interested. For my game, the blue of the cool white was too jarring in the area.

#12897 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I bought them for TZ, and ended up giving them away. If they had WARM whites shining down, then I'd be interested. For my game, the blue of the cool white was too jarring in the area.

Sorry, should have posted mine. I use cool white throughout all my machine's. Just the look I like. It's all a personal choice.

20210812_064843 (resized).jpg20210812_064843 (resized).jpg20210812_064854(0) (resized).jpg20210812_064854(0) (resized).jpg
#12898 1 year ago

Sorry, should have posted mine. I use cool white throughout all my machine's. Just the look I like. It's all a personal choice. [quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great! So that’s the Brite mod evo? Red, yellow and orange caps with red, yellow and orange leds?

Thanks!

Richard

#12899 1 year ago

That looks great! So that’s the Brite mod evo? Red, yellow and orange caps with red, yellow and orange leds?
Thanks!
Richard

Yes, that is correct.

#12900 1 year ago

I am getting a gumball geneva switch error on startup. It did not affect gameplay for a long time but now the gumball machine is not working. Are there any step by step instructions for removing the gumball machine? I can see the switch on the underside but it looks like it would be better to access by taking the gumball machine out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 132.00
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/258?hl=norcalpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.