IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 246 of 305.
#12251 1 year ago

Thank you all for the inspiration

I made this we’ll see what happens

63FAC010-0009-4241-AA5A-627F45CE4932 (resized).jpeg63FAC010-0009-4241-AA5A-627F45CE4932 (resized).jpeg
#12252 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Thank you all for the inspiration
I made this we’ll see what happens
[quoted image]

Excellent. The post fix will definitely take care of the ball trap problem. I was also having issues with ball strikes on the right side of Robby with a hot shot up the ramp. The wire form shape I made solved both issues.

#12253 1 year ago

Final presentation of my TZ before I send it over to it's new owner. Took me some time to install all mods, of course at the last minute. I was not planning to sell it, but I got an interesting offer, so...

What do we have in this machine:
- Pinvision (interactive screen on the back, replacing the original backboard)
- PIN2DMD
- Mini playfield with low profile switches and aluminium cliffy on the edge
- WS2812 ledring bumper, controlled by a specific control board below the playfield which reacts to bumper triggers (stumblor mod), configurable over wifi
- Custom apron (from Italy), with adressable led below on a custom 3D printed support, for nice lighting effects, also controlled by Stumblor lolly board
- Spiral ramp

Toys:
- Robby
- Small scale car
- Plasma disc
- Rocket
- Piano mod
- Camera and sign mod

Inside the machine:
- Afterglow (for led control)
- Pinsound + shaker + speakers

All in all, quite happy with how it turned out

#12254 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Final presentation of my TZ before I send it over to it's new owner. Took me some time to install all mods, of course at the last minute. I was not planning to sell it, but I got an interesting offer, so...
- PIN2DMD
- WS2812 ledring bumper, controlled by a specific control board below the playfield which reacts to bumper triggers (stumblor mod), configurable over wifi
- Custom apron (from Italy), with adressable led below on a custom 3D printed support, for nice lighting effects, also controlled by Stumblor lolly board
- Spiral ramp
Toys:
- Robby
- Small scale car
- Plasma disc
- Rocket
- Piano mod
- Camera and sign mod
Inside the machine:

Looks amazing mate, great work!! Don't think I've ever seen a sexier apron than that.

#12255 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

- PIN2DMD
- Spiral ramp
Toys:
- Robby
- Small scale car
- Plasma disc
- Rocket
- Piano mod
- Camera and sign mod
Inside the machine:

Where did you get those inside cabinet art blades? I love how they match the playfield!

#12256 1 year ago

Love the apron too! I wish that were something I could find. Nice work!

#12257 1 year ago

And of course.... Something broke....

Where are the power ball detectors located? The power all is not detected anymore'... Except from the tunnel from the left...

#12258 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Where are the power ball detectors located?

Tiny eddy sensor sticking up at end of the ball trough. Switch #26 if you want to check in test.

LTG : )

#12259 1 year ago
Quoted from shepP:

Where did you get those inside cabinet art blades? I love how they match the playfield!

I must admit... No idea. They were installed when I originally bought my TZ

Quoted from LTG:

Tiny eddy sensor sticking up at end of the ball trough. Switch #26 if you want to check in test.

Thanks, found it. I reseated the connectors, all good now (might take the opportunity to rewire them with new connectors)

#12260 1 year ago

I get errant #26 errors just enough to annoy me. It’s always the little 2 pin connector that shakes itself loose. Has anyone ever just soldered the wires directly to the board, or is that considered a hack?

#12261 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I get errant #26 errors just enough to annoy me. It’s always the little 2 pin connector that shakes itself loose. Has anyone ever just soldered the wires directly to the board, or is that considered a hack?

It is a necessary evil and needs to be done. Those little pins fail quickly with all the vibration in that area.

#12262 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

It is a necessary evil and needs to be done. Those little pins fail quickly with all the vibration in that area.

^^^This. This is most definitely a known issue, and the recommended fix is to solder the wires directly to the pins. In my experience, this is the only way to completely eliminate the detection issue.

#12263 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Some of the replacement boards even come directly wired, due to this known issue

#12264 1 year ago

I'm about to embark on a TZ restoration. If any of you have any extra parts that you might be interested in moving on, including mods, please send me a PM! Looking for a new plastic set, new plastic ramp, side blades, backboard decal, etc. I know most of this is generally available, but wanted to check here first.

#12265 1 year ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

^^^This. This is most definitely a known issue, and the recommended fix is to solder the wires directly to the pins. In my experience, this is the only way to completely eliminate the detection issue.

The pickup is an inductor, extremely low impedance. Those small connectors exhibit high resistance by nature, because of their design, so it's a given they'll cause a problem, even if you replace with new.

Solder the two wires directly to the pins, and never look back. They should have done that from the start.

#12266 1 year ago

I am having an issue with the one-way gate at the outhole on my TZ. Upon a ball drain, the solenoid fires and kicks the ball as per normal. However, the one-way wire gate, more times than not, spins counter-clockwise a full rotation so that it ends up on the opposite side of the metal guidepost and thus acts as "wrong-way" barrier for any subsequent ball that drains so that the ball just bounces back onto the solenoid actuator at the outhole and otherwise cannot move into the "rest" in order to be loaded back into the shooter lane. Anyone else ever have this issue? It just cropped up and I'm not sure as to what the best fix is... Thoughts from the group?

TZ - Outhole Area 1 (resized).jpgTZ - Outhole Area 1 (resized).jpgTZ - Outhole Area 2 (resized).jpgTZ - Outhole Area 2 (resized).jpg
#12267 1 year ago

Your gate looks homemade and has too much play in it. Purchase a new one. If the gate is to specs the apron will keep it from flipping around. Your problem now actually seems to me that your gate wire can slip past the metal tab that is suppose to stop that (because of the excess side to side play).

#12268 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

I am having an issue with the one-way gate at the outhole on my TZ. Upon a ball drain, the solenoid fires and kicks the ball as per normal. However, the one-way wire gate, more times than not, spins counter-clockwise a full rotation so that it ends up on the opposite side of the metal guidepost and thus acts as "wrong-way" barrier for any subsequent ball that drains so that the ball just bounces back onto the solenoid actuator at the outhole and otherwise cannot move into the "rest" in order to be loaded back into the shooter lane. Anyone else ever have this issue? It just cropped up and I'm not sure as to what the best fix is... Thoughts from the group?
[quoted image][quoted image]

With the apron installed it should not be possible for it to spin all the way around. The one-way gate arm should be sitting on the right side of that metal tab and be prevented from spinning all the way by the bottom of the apron itself.

#12269 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

With the apron installed it should not be possible for it to spin all the way around. The one-way gate arm should be sitting on the right side of that metal tab and be prevented from spinning all the way by the bottom of the apron itself.

I reinstalled the apron and it seems to be fixed... I will keep my eye on it. I cleaned and waxed the playfield the other day with the apron off so maybe I accidently screwed up the one-way gate. Thanks!

#12270 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

with the apron off so maybe I accidently screwed up the one-way gate. Thanks!

You aren't the first to do that

#12271 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

You aren't the first to do that

Probably not the last either...

#12272 1 year ago

Sigh...

I just dropped the TZ at the buyer place, all was working fine, thoroughly tested for two hours.

But... On the way back home, I receive a phone call, all solenoids do not work anymore.... Even in test mode, there's nothing working.

In principle, given that the trade is now complete, I could just walk away, but it's not very cool and not in my nature. So I'm trying to help him debug, which is really not easy given that he's about 2h drive away, and he does not have any electronic skill...

So anyway, some questions:
-on my TZ, there is no safety lock on the door, all power is always on even with the door open. At least I could trigger the auto plunger without pushing the button There's just one switch. Am I right in assuming there is no safety return wire next to the backbox?

- the only logical explanation for simultaneous solenoid failure would be the high voltage missing. Is it a single voltage for all solenoids, and is there a master fuse controlling it? Is it driven by a single rectifier, or multiple rectifiers?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

#12273 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Any other suggestion?

F112 on the driver board. Pull and check with a meter.

#12274 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

F112 on the driver board. Pull and check with a meter.

Thanks, I just figured that one out by reading the schematics

Believe it or not, he does not have a multimeter.... Oh well

#12275 1 year ago

And... The story goes on.

Fuse replaced, game is working. But burns F112 again, when reaching powerball mania stage.

Otherwise before that point, works fine...

#12276 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Fuse replaced, game is working. But burns F112 again, when reaching powerball mania stage.

Something shifted in the move. I'd start by looking at coil lugs too close to metal.

Then crap behind the board.

#12277 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Something shifted in the move. I'd start by looking at coil lugs too close to metal.
Then crap behind the board.

Also found these two leads:

https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/twilight-zone-fuse-issues.40995/?amp=1

And

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/0GAY2tUWVnA

Is 10A really recommended on TZ (see first link)?

#12278 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Is 10A really recommended on TZ (see first link)?

Yes. Williams upped it a time or two because so much was going on in the game.

#12279 1 year ago

Need some help with my recently aquired TZ. When balls get locked behind the clock they dont kick out at the end of the game. They only get kicked out if I turn the game off and turn it back on again. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this. Thanks.

#12280 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-ray:

Need some help with my recently aquired TZ. When balls get locked behind the clock they dont kick out at the end of the game. They only get kicked out if I turn the game off and turn it back on again. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this. Thanks.

This is how the game operates as designed. There’s nothing to fix.

Addams Family does the same thing with balls locked in the swamp, and BSD does the same thing with balls locked in the castle. Not sure why designers chose to keep balls locked game-to-game, but they did.

#12281 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

This is how the game operates as designed. There’s nothing to fix.
Addams Family does the same thing with balls locked in the swamp, and BSD does the same thing with balls locked in the castle. Not sure why designers chose to keep balls locked game-to-game, but they did.

This.

#12282 1 year ago

Anyone know how to best adjust the gumball diverter? My diverter gets stuck periodically behind the inner rail (red arrow) and I have to take the glass off, get a long screwdriver and pop it loose again. Does the diverter have play left-right in its mounting? I want to move it a little right (green arrow) so that the arm will always rest on the inner rail and not be able to go behind it.
Thanks for any advice!
Richard

diverter (resized).jpgdiverter (resized).jpg
#12283 1 year ago
Quoted from rhampo:

Anyone know how to best adjust the gumball diverter?

Next time you have the long screwdriver in there. Bend the pole the diverter is mounted to over a little so it goes over the lane guide more. This will last a long time.

#12284 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Next time you have the long screwdriver in there. Bend the pole the diverter is mounted to over a little so it goes over the lane guide more. This will last a long time.

Thanks Lloyd - is it safe to bend the diverter pole from above the playfield with a screwdriver? Won't that stress the mechanism?

#12285 1 year ago
Quoted from rhampo:

Thanks Lloyd - is it safe to bend the diverter pole from above the playfield with a screwdriver? Won't that stress the mechanism?

Did you see if you have some play in the entire mechanism under the PF? I.e. can you loosen the coil assembly mount screws and push it to close the gap and tighten them back up?

#12286 1 year ago

Any of you upgrade to this speaker set: https://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-wpc-89-speaker-kit/

Is it worth the $200? Is it really a noticeable difference in sound quality? I wish there was an easy way to make this game stereo quality.

#12287 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any of you upgrade to this speaker set: https://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-wpc-89-speaker-kit/
Is it worth the $200? Is it really a noticeable difference in sound quality? I wish there was an easy way to make this game stereo quality.

You’ll probably get a ton of opinions, but mine is that it’s not worth it. My TZ has all new upgraded speakers, and the quality isn’t $200 better sounding than the white water with stock speakers sitting right next to it.

#12288 1 year ago
Quoted from rhampo:

is it safe to bend the diverter pole from above the playfield with a screwdriver? Won't that stress the mechanism?

I did it, worked great. Only need a little. Not enough to stress anything.

I looked it all over. Top and bottom. Was thinking of moving mech below, lane guide above. Dancing naked at midnight doing the sacred diverter dance.

Then as long as I had the screw driver in there anyway to unstick it. I thought, what the heck. Gave the shaft a shove near the top and was done with it.

#12289 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm running that setup. The speakers are considerably better and the bass is impressive but it doesn't change the fact that the audio track on TZ is kind of crappy. Crappy audio in = crappy audio out. That being said it does make the sound files that are there the best they can be. My OEM speakers were getting tired so it was worth it for me.

#12290 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I did it, worked great. Only need a little. Not enough to stress anything.
I looked it all over. Top and bottom. Was thinking of moving mech below, lane guide above. Dancing naked at midnight doing the sacred diverter dance.
Then as long as I had the screw driver in there anyway to unstick it. I thought, what the heck. Gave the shaft a shove near the top and was done with it.

Nice. Thanks for that image of you dancing naked with a screwdriver
I'll give it a try (bending the diverter with screwdriver - not dancing naked)!
Richard

#12291 1 year ago

I'm running that setup. The speakers are considerably better and the bass is impressive but it doesn't change the fact that the audio track on TZ is kind of crappy. Crappy audio in = crappy audio out. That being said it does make the sound files that are there the best they can be. My OEM speakers were getting tired so it was worth it for me.

Yea, this was about what I figured the answer would be. Any way anyone could ever remaster audio in? A pipe dream I’m sure sadly.

#12292 1 year ago

I'm running that setup. The speakers are considerably better and the bass is impressive but it doesn't change the fact that the audio track on TZ is kind of crappy. Crappy audio in = crappy audio out. That being said it does make the sound files that are there the best they can be. My OEM speakers were getting tired so it was worth it for me

Did you go with the upgraded sub also?

#12293 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did you go with the upgraded sub also?

I did - "Go big or go home" I always say.

#12294 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea, this was about what I figured the answer would be. Any way anyone could ever remaster audio in? A pipe dream I’m sure sadly.

Pinsound is your best option for this. Allows true stereo with rewired speakers and you can edit or change all of the audio files.

#12295 1 year ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Pinsound is your best option for this. Allows true stereo with rewired speakers and you can edit or change all of the audio files.

They should make a kit…specific to this game, people would buy it.

#12296 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They should make a kit…specific to this game, people would buy it.

I agree. Must be licensing issues why they don't.

#12297 1 year ago

Back in the club. Got back my restored TZ. Life is good.

C14A88EE-60D5-40AA-9149-DB5AAE002DE6 (resized).JPGC14A88EE-60D5-40AA-9149-DB5AAE002DE6 (resized).JPG
#12299 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Looks great. Who did the work?

Sorry, don't know. But it's fully restored including original playfield that was clearcoated.

#12300 1 year ago

Here's the full "family picture book" and videos of this beauty:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0rJ0DiRHJujABv

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 246 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/246?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.