IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 240 of 305.
#11951 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Looks like they are not bend up at all.
So whats the next way to get the shooter rod centered up? [quoted image][quoted image]

Your hangers do look pretty good. Next thing I would try is to loosen all the screws on the lockbar receiver and see if you can move the entire assembly up a little. Just out of curiosity, is this an after market shooter housing or OEM? I have noticed that some after market ones are off a little.

#11952 2 years ago
Quoted from Zee:

Put little rubber pads under the playfield hooks?

If I put 1/4" of felt on the hooks will the hooks then hit the glass?

#11953 2 years ago

I make these, checking interest as I have a limited supply. I could make a few more sets. They are gloss laminated vinyl decals on hard backing. The manufacture process does occasionally leave slight imperfections around the edge, usually not noticeable. PM if interested.

34BD3A00-F3EE-469B-9DFE-F414CD3F07BE (resized).jpeg34BD3A00-F3EE-469B-9DFE-F414CD3F07BE (resized).jpeg4B73A88A-50EA-48EE-91CA-DB02CD184F2F (resized).jpeg4B73A88A-50EA-48EE-91CA-DB02CD184F2F (resized).jpeg5592D105-BE67-4E37-952D-14341AD279FD (resized).jpeg5592D105-BE67-4E37-952D-14341AD279FD (resized).jpeg

#11954 2 years ago

I also make these decals. They can be put on your back panel to dress it up or in cabinet, whatever. The round pyramid/eye target is 1 inch diameter & there for reference.

6F22A205-5337-48B0-B1C0-733753560804 (resized).jpeg6F22A205-5337-48B0-B1C0-733753560804 (resized).jpeg
#11955 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

If I put 1/4" of felt on the hooks will the hooks then hit the glass?

Unknown until you try it. Gently!

#11956 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Question regarding ball search and missing ball compensation:
Current ROMs are 9.4h

Scenario:
Ball gets stuck someplace. I’ll power cycle the game, so only 2 balls are in the trough. I turn the game on, press start, and instead of the game recognizing there’s only 2 balls and doing the usually ball search cycle before allowing a game to start, it starts immediately, but will ball search indefinitely. The game will refuse to compensate for the lack of a 3rd ball.
Is this how 9.4h operates? A bug? No other switch problems in the game otherwise. Plays completely fine.

Following up with this:

Even after a full restore, I can even start a game with 0 balls in the trough. I can start a game, but then goes into a ball search when it realizes a ball hasn't been delivered to the shooter lane. It seems like there's absolutely no missing ball compensation, which really surprises me. Can anyone verify that this is proper game operation?

#11957 2 years ago

Just joined the club and am having the dreaded sound issues. Sound works approximately 20% of the time, the rest of the time it is dead (not quiet). Goes in and out as you play, with no particular sound/trigger causing it to jump back in.

Things tried so far:
1) Reseat all cables that attach to sound board (and ribbon cables that connect it to other boards).
2) Yelling "work damn you, work!"

One thing I noticed is that if I jiggle the ribbon cable that connects the top left board to the bottom left board, it causes the game to reset (this is the one that bridges over to the sound board). Does this mean I should replace that ribbon cable as a place to start? Where do I buy replacement ribbon cables specifically for TZ?

I have read through the thread and seen the following things suggested as being the issue:

1) Ribbon cable
2) Capacitors (in several places)
3) Speakers themselves
4) Wires connecting to speakers are broken/exposed
5) Bad sound chip
6) Bad CPU chip

Interestingly, most people who said they replaced the sound board found it did not fix their issue.

Is there a consensus on the most common cause of this issue after almost 30 years of Twilight Zone?

Any help appreciated - thank you!

Added over 2 years ago:

EDIT - SOLVED: Since people might be curious as to the solution: Subwoofer wire not quite attached properly in the clip. Pressed it together and shoved it in more and no issues in 8 games. Vibrations must have caused it to pop in and out during play. All those complex solutions and it comes down to the simple ones, as usual.

#11958 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

How did the guy making the divertor mod make out? any progress with it? Haven't seen anything posted in a while...

Good question! I've not been paying attention to the forum for a little while, but came back to catch up on the TZ thread and post an update.

After some more prototypes in plastic I went ahead and got parts in laser-cut steel from OSH Cut. They were delivered today.

I am actually testing 2 versions... the larger one matches the whole top of the diverter and has a nice factory look. The smaller version also sticks to the top of the diverter but because of its size, you can scoot left and right a little bit without making the outline of the diverter even uglier than it already is.

Why would you adjust the position? I found that how close the one-way gate is to the diverter is the main way you can tune the mechanism. If the gate is too close to the diverter, the ball can bounce back out before the gate falls. When the gate is farther away, it can fall down and trap the ball, but the ball has a larger cage. With more wiggle room, it is possible for the ball not be at rest on the left side of the wireform when the diverter tilts, and get knocked off.

The spacing of the large part is what I determined to work best on my machine, and it works really well... though I already have ideas for improvements! But it was cheap to get the repositionable version made too, so I did for insurance. I guess it is possible that someone else's machine might tolerate a smaller "cage" and enjoy even better reliability.

Here are some flat parts and two with bends added. I got both parts in 20 and 24 gauge brushed stainless--I have never worked in metal before and wasn't sure which thickness would be best. The thicker metal is more like what is in the game, but this part doesn't need to be thick, it doesn't get pounded... the thinner part is less obtrusive, and after comparing how they looked it is what I installed in my game.

tz4 (resized).jpgtz4 (resized).jpg

Here's the XL 24 gauge version installed in my game. Looks pretty good, but I am going to make one with the starfield that I showed before, too.

tz1 (resized).jpgtz1 (resized).jpg
tz2 (resized).jpgtz2 (resized).jpg
tz3 (resized).jpgtz3 (resized).jpg

#11959 2 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

2) Yelling "work damn you, work!"...

Lol. ...Sounds like a good approach for all issues in general

#11960 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

Good question! I've not been paying attention to the forum for a little while, but came back to catch up on the TZ thread and post an update.
After some more prototypes in plastic I went ahead and got parts in laser-cut steel from OSH Cut. They were delivered today.
I am actually testing 2 versions... the larger one matches the whole top of the diverter and has a nice factory look. The smaller version also sticks to the top of the diverter but because of its size, you can scoot left and right a little bit without making the outline of the diverter even uglier than it already is.
Why would you adjust the position? I found that how close the one-way gate is to the diverter is the main way you can tune the mechanism. If the gate is too close to the diverter, the ball can bounce back out before the gate falls. When the gate is farther away, it can fall down and trap the ball, but the ball has a larger cage. With more wiggle room, it is possible for the ball not be at rest on the left side of the wireform when the diverter tilts, and get knocked off.
The spacing of the large part is what I determined to work best on my machine, and it works really well... though I already have ideas for improvements! But it was cheap to get the repositionable version made too, so I did for insurance. I guess it is possible that someone else's machine might tolerate a smaller "cage" and enjoy even better reliability.
Here are some flat parts and two with bends added. I got both parts in 20 and 24 gauge brushed stainless--I have never worked in metal before and wasn't sure which thickness would be best. The thicker metal is more like what is in the game, but this part doesn't need to be thick, it doesn't get pounded... the thinner part is less obtrusive, and after comparing how they looked it is what I installed in my game.
[quoted image]
Here's the XL 24 gauge version installed in my game. Looks pretty good, but I am going to make one with the starfield that I showed before, too.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

What a great mod! Looks factory and it's a great improvement to the game as well. I bet you can sell hundreds of those.

-Zee

#11961 2 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Just joined the club and am having the dreaded sound issues. Sound works approximately 20% of the time, the rest of the time it is dead (not quiet). Goes in and out as you play, with no particular sound/trigger causing it to jump back in.
Things tried so far:
1) Reseat all cables that attach to sound board (and ribbon cables that connect it to other boards).
One thing I noticed is that if I jiggle the ribbon cable that connects the top left board to the bottom left board, it causes the game to reset (this is the one that bridges over to the sound board). Does this mean I should replace that ribbon cable as a place to start? Where do I buy replacement ribbon cables specifically for TZ?
I have read through the thread and seen the following things suggested as being the issue:
1) Ribbon cable
3) Speakers themselves
5) Bad sound chip
6) Bad CPU chip
Interestingly, most people who said they replaced the sound board found it did not fix their issue.
Is there a consensus on the most common cause of this issue after almost 30 years of Twilight Zone?

Also check to see if you have any cold solder joints from the chip holder on the back of the circuit board.

#11962 2 years ago

Is anyone interested in getting some clock boards from Pinball.Center for Twilight zone?
They are wanting to know if I wish to order any from them in this group buy closing on Sunday.
This is not something I usually stock on my store.

There's a video of the board in action on their product page.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/electronics-parts/circuit-boards/10378/clock-board-for-twilight-zone?number=66965

If you are interested; please contact me in the group buy thread or send me a PM to discuss terms/get on the list.

#11963 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Is anyone interested in getting some clock boards from Pinball.Center for Twilight zone?
They are wanting to know if I wish to order any from them in this group buy closing on Sunday.
This is not something I usually stock on my store.
There's a video of the board in action on their product page.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/electronics-parts/circuit-boards/10378/clock-board-for-twilight-zone?number=66965

If you are interested; please contact me in the group buy thread or send me a PM to discuss terms/get on the list.

Looks like a copy of Caspers board.

Screenshot_20220318-072544_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220318-072544_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220318-072614_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220318-072614_Chrome (resized).jpg
#11964 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Following up with this:
Even after a full restore, I can even start a game with 0 balls in the trough. I can start a game, but then goes into a ball search when it realizes a ball hasn't been delivered to the shooter lane. It seems like there's absolutely no missing ball compensation, which really surprises me. Can anyone verify that this is proper game operation?

Have you verified in switch test that all of the trough switches are working correctly?

#11965 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Looks like a copy of Caspers board.

Could very well be. I have no affiliation or knowledge of the board as I don't personally own a TZ.

#11966 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Have you verified in switch test that all of the trough switches are working correctly?

Yes. The game plays flawlessly otherwise. No credit dot, no switch errors.

#11967 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Looks like a copy of Caspers board.[quoted image][quoted image]

Totally ripped off of Caspers design. Amazing how someone can get away with this.

#11968 2 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Totally ripped off of Caspers design. Amazing how someone can get away with this.

They ain’t afraid of no ghost

#11969 2 years ago

Just finished an interactive topper for a guy. No TZ here anymore so had to test on my Jaws machine

#11970 2 years ago

Had a bit of a scare with my TZ tonight (though the pf had a paint chip). But it did highlight the fact that the inserts are starting to lift slightly (not affecting the ball path), and I've been meaning to get a 3rd magnet mod done to the machine. I happen to have a spare NOS playfield I picked up way back in the 90s. I had planned to have it drilled and cleared, but I think it's developed a slight bow near the gumball cutout. It box is probably about 2mm, enough to be visible while sighting down the top edge of the playfield. Otherwise, I think the spare pf is in great shape. Is that sort of thing repairable?

I know I could just pick up one of Mirco's playfields already setup for the third magnet, but I worry about all the negative stuff I hear about his fields.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to pull my existing playfield and send it out, since I'm not sure on my ability to pull of a full swap, and if I do it, I think it'd be easier to transfer parts from one playfield straight to another.

#11971 2 years ago
Quoted from sandro:

I know I could just pick up one of Mirco's playfields already setup for the third magnet, but I worry about all the negative stuff I hear about his fields.

Smart man. Avoid.

#11972 2 years ago
Quoted from sandro:

Had a bit of a scare with my TZ tonight (though the pf had a paint chip). But it did highlight the fact that the inserts are starting to lift slightly (not affecting the ball path), and I've been meaning to get a 3rd magnet mod done to the machine. I happen to have a spare NOS playfield I picked up way back in the 90s. I had planned to have it drilled and cleared, but I think it's developed a slight bow near the gumball cutout. It box is probably about 2mm, enough to be visible while sighting down the top edge of the playfield. Otherwise, I think the spare pf is in great shape. Is that sort of thing repairable?
I'm pretty sure I don't want to pull my existing playfield and send it out, since I'm not sure on my ability to pull of a full swap, and if I do it, I think it'd be easier to transfer parts from one playfield straight to another.

Make a new set of rails for your NOS playfield and install them. You can use scrap wood or nice hardwood. Installing the rails should square things up nicely

#11973 2 years ago

Very kool !

Quoted from KJS:

Just finished an interactive topper for a guy. No TZ here anymore so had to test on my Jaws machine

#11974 2 years ago
Quoted from sandro:

This is repairable. I heard Nero on here is doing good repair & clear work, won’t be cheap.

#11975 2 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

This is repairable. I heard Nero on here is doing good repair & clear work, won’t be cheap.

you mean Capt Neo?....yes good work...not cheap....but what is these days...

#11976 2 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Things tried so far:
1) Ribbon cable
3) Speakers themselves
5) Bad sound chip
6) Bad CPU chip

Since people might be curious as to the solution: Subwoofer wire not quite attached properly in the clip. Pressed it together and shoved it in more and no issues in 8 games. Vibrations must have caused it to pop in and out during play. All those complex solutions and it comes down to the simple ones, as usual.

#11977 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

you mean Capt Neo?....yes good work...not cheap....but what is these days...

Yes, sorry, Capt Neo, thanks for the translation

#11978 2 years ago

Folks, I'm stripping down my TZ for a cleaning and saw what looks like two pilot holes right by the lock ball outlet (see photo). Are there supposed to be posts here or something, or maybe is this a vestige of some older iteration of the design?

lockhole (resized).jpglockhole (resized).jpg
#11979 2 years ago

I’m going to start a twilight zone restoration. If anyone has any extra mods, parts, etc., that they would be interested in selling, shoot me a PM. Still trying to source a front cabinet decal.

#11980 2 years ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Folks, I'm stripping down my TZ for a cleaning and saw what looks like two pilot holes right by the lock ball outlet (see photo). Are there supposed to be posts here or something, or maybe is this a vestige of some older iteration of the design?
[quoted image]

Mine has the same holes

TZ (resized).jpgTZ (resized).jpg
#11981 2 years ago

I have the same holes.

#11982 2 years ago

Interesting. On the early prototype machines, I assume the little trap ramp wasn't there? (judging from how the lock inset is partially covered). Maybe these were for posts to keep the ball from bouncing out of the lock? The opening between them is fairly narrow though...

Always fun to see these little bits of design history on playfields...

#11983 2 years ago

This is the first real look under the hood of my newly acquired TZ and I noticed the two big holes on the door lighted board. Is this stock or am I missing something?

20220326_083018 (resized).jpg20220326_083018 (resized).jpg
#11984 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

This is the first real look under the hood of my newly acquired TZ and I noticed the two big holes on the door lighted board. Is this stock or am I missing something?
[quoted image]

This is stock - the original prototype had flashes there but they were removed for production. If you send Davi a PM, he is selling an upgraded door lamp board with integrated flashes

#11985 2 years ago

Thanks for the info.

#11987 2 years ago

@Davi's board is really nice, get one Scoot !

#11988 2 years ago

I think it's time to introduce auto-upvote

#11989 2 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

[quoted image]

There is a replacement board that is somewhere in this thread that is awesome, those flashers are back in as the game was designed.

#11990 2 years ago
Quoted from HeavyMetalPoet:

I have casper electronics clock board and have no complaints. It does work with GI OCD. The lighting is very even throughout the clock unlike some others due to the led lights strips. I also have Twister power field switch kit and works great and looks great!

I just installed a Casper clock board in my TZ, with a GI OCD, and my clock lights are not working. I have notes in the companies involved asking if I need to swap the LED polarities to work with GI OCD, but can anyone else confirm that the Casper board + GI OCD is working for them? I'm hesitant to get out the soldering iron on the off chance that I have a faulty PCB

EDIT - PROBLEM SOLVED

I did some more searching in the forum, and found notes on reversing the power to J2 connector on clock PCB (swapping pins 5/6 with pins 3/4). The alternative was swapping pins 3/9 on J121 on the power board/GI OCD breakout connector.

I found the equivalent pins on the molex connector for the clock assembly that goes under the playfield, and swapped the two pins that connect to 5/6 and 3/4 on J2 on the clock board (yellow and yellow/white wires). Fired things up, and LEDs lit up like a charm!

Thanks to everyone for documenting their experiences and fixes here in the forum!

#11991 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

I think it's time to introduce auto-upvote

#11992 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

The third magnet also changed the way the balls are grabbed during “the spiral” mode as well:

A mod definitely worth doing if you’re ever in the position to do a playfield swap.

I have a sample machine with the factory third magnet but the optos were never installed. The holes are there in the ball guides and it looks like an easy install. I just never can find the wiring diagram for it, so I just left it alone.

One day I will dig back into it again.

#11993 2 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

One day I will dig back into it again.

If your sample has the 2 opto boards, instead of the single 10-opto board, wiring in the additional opto for the magnet should be as easy as running new wires and punching them into the existing connectors.

#11994 2 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I just never can find the wiring diagram for it,

The game has it. Tests - Individual Switch - stop on the switch you want. Hit the start button. Then hit the "+" diagnostic button to step through switch name, wire colors, connector info, etc. etc.

LTG : )

#11995 2 years ago

Weak upper right flipper and I've run out of ideas. I’ve rebuilt it and I did find just about everything wrong with it and now it’s as smooth as butter. Seemed like the smoking gun at the time. Cleaned flipper optos as suggested, verified voltage and checked for fractured solder joints at the coil. Looks like I need to dig deeper.

#11996 2 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Looks like I need to dig deeper.

Try a stronger coil.

LTG : )

#11997 2 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Weak upper right flipper and I've run out of ideas. I’ve rebuilt it and I did find just about everything wrong with it and now it’s as smooth as butter. Seemed like the smoking gun at the time. Cleaned flipper optos as suggested, verified voltage and checked for fractured solder joints at the coil. Looks like I need to dig deeper.

Did the rebuild include a new flipper bushing?

#11998 2 years ago

Yes it did. I’m now reading about people swapping boards. Guess that’ll be next

#11999 2 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

I did all that you did and my upper right flipper would also get really weak. Ended up replacing flipper opto boards and has worked great since.

#12000 2 years ago

Very nice I’d be interested when your done for sure

Quoted from horseflesh:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 240 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/240 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.