Topic Stats

• 7,459 posts
  • 560 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Manny65
  • Topic is favorited by 300 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,938 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

594B0675-84B6-44C0-BB0F-E99CEE983AC6 (resized).jpeg
47F74ED6-7415-48EA-B44F-33132EB50BD8 (resized).jpeg
14909302-DAB9-4559-89C2-DDD613AAF437 (resized).jpeg
33A1179D-FE0A-4D62-B216-BE8E5E246A95 (resized).jpeg
7CBCA105-B89E-44A8-A208-C5C53742D08B (resized).jpeg
62A4C3AA-2496-483E-A859-BFDD7999DF25 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190914_133014 (resized).jpg
20190914_085036 (resized).jpg
20180413_153420 (resized).jpg
20190913_193728 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143652 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143720 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143714 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143629 (resized).jpg

There are 7459 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 150.
#1151 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

..I mean.. unless you WANT to play a game.

Just went through the switch test, and it confirmed all my suspicious.... the button is really dead!!!

#1152 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Just went through the switch test, and it confirmed all my suspicious.... the button is really dead!!!

Admittedly, that's odd. There's not much there to fail. I'm guessing some wires between the button and the CDI got cut or unplugged.

#1153 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Admittedly, that's odd. There's not much there to fail. I'm guessing some wires between the button and the CDI got cut or unplugged.

Yeah, maybe something got loose.... I ain't got tech skills (definitely suck big time), but I'll try to take a look anyway!

#1154 4 years ago

Idiot question..

Some of the posts are #8-32. Some are smaller than that, however. What's the smaller size? #6-32? Some other size?

--Mike

#1155 4 years ago

6-32. That's right Mike.

#1156 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

6-32. That's right Mike.

Thanks!

#1157 4 years ago

My TZ extra ball button didn't work because the button itself wasn't hitting the microswitch. I normally always fix things right but since it's a button I never use, I just stuck a bit foam tape in the gap and now it works

#1158 4 years ago

Yeah, that would help!

Anyone know of a source for a Cliffy Gumball protector? CHEP recommend one on the field he did for me, and .. apparently they're all out of stock?

#1159 4 years ago

I got a Cliffy gumball protector left, you can have it for 12$ shipping by letter post included

#1160 4 years ago
Quoted from Invader:

I got a Cliffy gumball protector left, you can have it for 12$ shipping by letter post included

Heck, thanks! PM sent!

#1161 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

My TZ extra ball button didn't work because the button itself wasn't hitting the microswitch. I normally always fix things right but since it's a button I never use, I just stuck a bit foam tape in the gap and now it works

Where did you put the foam?

#1162 4 years ago

HELP TZ KEEPS REBOOTING>>>>>As pinball machines are marvels in their own right, they can be finicky little MF's...! My TZ has been flawless, I was playing it bout a week ago and everything was great, powered it down with my other games. Today I went to slay some pin and when I turned on the TZ during the boot sequence it would power down, power up, and continue to reboot. After about 4 or 5 cycles of it rebooting the game remain powered up and seemed good. I was like dang that was a close one, what wonder what that was? I proceeded to press start, launched the ball and it came out of the Slot machine hole and when I hit the flipper, the game powered down and began the reboot cycle again. WTH is going on here, how does this happen, and what can I do to trouble shoot. There is not any error codes. Checked my other games and they all seem to play fine.

Thanks Ray

#1163 4 years ago
#1164 4 years ago

5 volts probably too low. Measure 5 volt test point on MPU and on PDB. If too low(even a very small amount) you can start by re-seating the large Z connector in the backbox.

#1165 4 years ago

Dicky connector J101?? I think being the main culprit or then Bridge rectifier next

#1166 4 years ago
Quoted from jbp8653:

Where did you put the foam?

I don't know if I have the wrong microswitch or what. The plastic part when you push the button in isn't long enough to actually actuate the microswitch. It's way off (Maybe 1/8") so I filled the gap with some foam tape.

When you get into the hobby, you should receive a welcome kit with flipper rebuild parts, vid's guides, Clay's guides, and a link to this article because you're going to need all of them eventually.

#1167 4 years ago

Playing around with my wife's engraver.

2015-05-23 10.33.59.jpg

#1168 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I don't know if I have the wrong microswitch or what. The plastic part when you push the button in isn't long enough to actually actuate the microswitch. It's way off (Maybe 1/8") so I filled the gap with some foam tape.

When you get into the hobby, you should receive a welcome kit with flipper rebuild parts, vid's guides, Clay's guides, and a link to this article because you're going to need all of them eventually.

Hell.. I got started in '92. There was no internet, and I didn't know a THING about reading schematics. Thanks to several books bought used, I taught myself all these tricks and tips. Of course, this was back when you had to know what a command-prompt was on a computer, because there WAS no Windows 3.1.

Yeah, I'm old. If I had a front yard, and I had neighbors, I'd be telling those kids to stay off my lawn!

#1169 4 years ago

rec.games.pinball has been around since 1990. Find me some nerds who has a real life pinball mailing last and I'll call them old

#1170 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hell.. I got started in '92. There was no internet, and I didn't know a THING about reading schematics. Thanks to several books bought used, I taught myself all these tricks and tips. Of course, this was back when you had to know what a command-prompt was on a computer, because there WAS no Windows 3.1.
Yeah, I'm old. If I had a front yard, and I had neighbors, I'd be telling those kids to stay off my lawn!

#1171 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

rec.games.pinball has been around since 1990. Find me some nerds who has a real life pinball mailing last and I'll call them old

Yeah, but wasn't it on like, Compuserve or something? (Back then, I only connected to local BBSs and communicated via FIDOnet. Hehe..)

#1172 4 years ago

Submitted for your approval, the original mini playfield vs. installed CPR repro prototype variant with HSA clearcoat. I also put on black switch covers. No more ball drop wear and the mini PF sides are also now clearcoated, thus the cliffys are no longer needed.

Screenshot_2015-08-26-09-21-282.png
Screenshot_2015-08-26-09-22-112.png

#1173 4 years ago

Hey guys!
Okay, another picture request. (I've gotten a lot done without pics. While I haven't needed them, I feel like I'm running blind without them - even though I haven't really needed any! )

Can someone grab a shot of the underside of the playfield up at top (bottom of PF; top when lifted up) showing GI and Lamp and flipper mechs?

Thanks!

#1174 4 years ago

Here are a few I've got if they're helpful at all. I'd have to dig for better ones.

2015-04-06_23.32.18.jpg

2015-04-06_23.32.24.jpg

2015-04-06_23.32.21.jpg

2015-04-06_23.32.15.jpg

2015-04-06_23.31.47.jpg

2015-04-06_23.31.53.jpg

2015-04-06_23.31.50.jpg

2015-04-06_23.30.57.jpg

#1175 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Here are a few I've got if they're helpful at all. I'd have to dig for better ones.

2015-04-06_23.32.18.jpg 2015-04-06_23.32.24.jpg 2015-04-06_23.32.21.jpg 2015-04-06_23.32.15.jpg 2015-04-06_23.31.47.jpg 2015-04-06_23.31.53.jpg 2015-04-06_23.31.50.jpg 2015-04-06_23.30.57.jpg

Thanks, that answered my questions! (I had two - specifically the GI string on the right side of the PF, which side the tie-in wires were at, and where the EB light was mounted.) I got both right!

#1176 4 years ago

TZ was released in1993. More than 15.000 units were produced. Do you know in which time frame were all the machines produced? I mean, when was the last machine produced?

#1177 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

when was the last machine produced?

Searching around online, I found the first prototypes were made in Feb/March '93, and release was April.

The latest manufacturing date I saw on www.ipsnd.net was 8/23/93, but I didn't click every single one, and many don't register there.

#1178 4 years ago

wow.. I thought they remained in production for a few years.. but its like 6 months. 2500 per month. around 100 per day? not bad!

#1179 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I thought they remained in production for a few years

That wouldn't work in those days. No OP would want to buy a new pin that had already been on location for a long period elsewhere in town.

The factories probably ran nights and weekends. Imagine the endless truckloads of cabinets, playfields, circuit boards, and parts that arrived daily.

#1180 4 years ago

Hey guys -
Sorry to bug everyone again! Need one more pic - under the playfield, just above (with playfield up, 'below' with playfield down) the gumball - showing the metal bracket for the camera / gumball, and the metal stop/bracket for the dead-end.

My dead-end stop isn't lining up where my memory says it should.

And I don't know if this was a sample change, or not, but the gumball protector I got (thanks @Invader!) seems to not mount the way it's supposed to. If I align the screw tab with the only screw it'll fit over, it's far too far to the left, and not protecting where the ball drops down through. It won't go far enough to the right for the screw-tab to engage the screw, so I'm leaving it in the middle, where it's protecting the playfield where it needs to (It's not fully installed, hence the uneven line..):
IMG_20150830_092232.jpg

And the screw tab underneath -
IMG_20150830_092217.jpg

I'm guessing that either - (1) I installed it completely wrong (..possible!), or (2) A change was made mid-run of the camera scoop that changed the # of screws on the top side from 2 to 1. (..also possible..)

Cheers!
-Mike

#1181 4 years ago

Looking at my TZ, that protector should slide all the way to the bottom in the top pic / all the way to the upper-right in the bottom pic as what it protects is the ball falling down from the mini-playfield above, not the ball rolling out of the gumball.

That's all based on where I see the wear on mine.

#1182 4 years ago

It's indeed to protect the corner of the wood from the balldrop from mini playfield.
So slide it all the way down and it will protect the area where the ball will hit the playfield.
My playfield already got some wear and the protector covers it now.

#1183 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHK:

Looking at my TZ, that protector should slide all the way to the bottom in the top pic / all the way to the upper-right in the bottom pic as what it protects is the ball falling down from the mini-playfield above, not the ball rolling out of the gumball.
That's all based on where I see the wear on mine.

Quoted from Invader:

It's indeed to protect the corner of the wood from the balldrop from mini playfield.
So slide it all the way down and it will protect the area where the ball will hit the playfield.
My playfield already got some wear and the protector covers it now.

Interesting! Thanks guys. Apparently, yup, I'm an idiot. I was trying to protect the ball rolling out of the gumball. D'oh.

Still could use a pic, too, of the dead-end scoop!

#1184 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Still could use a pic, too, of the dead-end scoop!

Here's one I just took, hopefully it shows what you're looking for.
DeadEnd.jpg

#1185 4 years ago

I am planning to buy 9.4h revision. It will allow 7 balls play. I need to buy the sixth regular ball and I am shopping at Pinball Heaven. They have "steel balls" and "premium balls". The description says the "steel balls" are not good for games with magnets, while premium are. So do I need premium balls? But in the pic they look like darker, while mine existing 5 regular balls looks like a normal, regular steel color.

So what do TZ use regular steel balls or special ones suited for magnets?

#1186 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I am planning to buy 9.4h revision. It will allow 7 balls play. I need to buy the sixth regular ball and I am shopping at Pinball Heaven. They have "steel balls" and "premium balls". The description says the "steel balls" are not good for games with magnets, while premium are. So do I need premium balls? But in the pic they look like darker, while mine existing 5 regular balls looks like a normal, regular steel color.
So what do TZ use regular steel balls or special ones suited for magnets?

At least for me, regular balls don't seem to be a problem... I often defeat the power with no much trouble!

#1187 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyHK:

Here's one I just took, hopefully it shows what you're looking for.
DeadEnd.jpg

Thanks!
Somehow I either messed something up, or again, it's another sample change. My dead-end scoop only has one screw hole on the top-right side, and can't figure out why. D'oh.

#1188 4 years ago

shopping a TZ for a friend. I have put most of his mods on.Cant seem to find a good spot for the street lamp. Was hoping to find some place around town square on the left. Any other ideas where it can go?

#1189 4 years ago

image.jpg

#1190 4 years ago

I have a post like the one to the right of it...did you swap posts? what works instead of the pointed post?

#1191 4 years ago

Mount the light to a Rubber post sleeve, Crazy glue will work. Slide it over the metal post.

#1192 4 years ago

Lots of mods that block the ball view and deviate the attention from the game play.... I don't get it and I just don't dig it!

Mods should only be placed like if they were meant to be there in the first place!

#1193 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I don't get it and I just don't dig it!

Amen, brother!

#1194 4 years ago
Quoted from cogito:

Hey guys, I'm running into a problem with my TZ restoration. Basically I'm looking for a replacement shooter lane cover, as explained here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-looking-for-a-tz-shooter-lane-cover
Hopefully a fellow club member can help me out!

I have a similar problem on mine, also not that bad.

I am planning on sanding, repainting, and putting the decal that comes with the apron decal set. This should do the trick.
In your case, you could probably do the same and get someone to weld any crack you may have or use some bondo.

#1195 4 years ago

Pop Quiz!

So I noticed something today while assembling my flipper mechs. Some unused drill holes! Upon further study, apparently when my machine was assembled, the upper left flipper mech had to be moved - or the assembler was lazy.
IMG_20150905_104352.jpg
If you look closely, you can see two sets of holes at the tip of the Camera insert, and at the Super Skill insert.

Now, with my really early playfield, there are quite a few unused dimples and holes (including two meant for a switch bracket at the top of the Spiral loop).

But, I'm wondering - where is your UL flipper mounted? Which set of the above holes is yours mounted to?

#1196 4 years ago

448111.jpg

#1197 4 years ago

I've Prob asked this before but doing this over the weekemd. Adding remote battery holder to friends tz. Where behind the existing holder do I solder wire leads. Done this on several pins but wasn't sure best spot to solder in

#1198 4 years ago

Picked up this in a no brainer deal the other day from friend

tzmini1.jpg

tzminiback.jpg

#1199 4 years ago

I'm back in the club after a 10 year hiatus. Dumb question there are 3 holes for leg bolts. Do I use the upper 2 or the lower 2?

M

#1200 4 years ago

I've Prob asked this before but doing this over the weekemd. Adding remote battery holder to friends tz. Where behind the existing holder do I solder wire leads. Done this on several pins but wasn't sure best spot to solder in

Here you go billsfan

http://pinballhelp.com/how-to-add-a-remote-battery-holder-to-your-pinball-machine/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
There are 7459 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 150.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside