IMG_1911 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1910 (resized).jpeg
twilight_zone_pf_light_posts_switch_diagram (resized).jpg
IMG_5613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5612 (resized).jpeg
20240609_193751 (resized).jpg
IMG_0472 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,346 posts in this topic. You are on page 232 of 307.
#11551 2 years ago

Two issues with my clock (ingo board from previous owner). Clock spins very slowly at machine startup and will give a clock broken error. Letting it warm up a few minutes then restarting the machine it moves normal speed and the error will go away.

My clock was also reading 6 hours off (ex machine says 12 and clock reads 6)

Ingo board works fine and all optos read fine in test. Clock will go backward and forward fine also.

Fixed the hour issue by disassembling the clock and realizing hour hand can be installed two separate ways. Just flipped it around 180 degrees.

For my slow clock at power on not sure if motor is dying or drowning with grease. Gears do seem liberally caked with lithium grease or similar from prior owner.

034E610A-8CF4-4BFD-9311-B5BCD1637747 (resized).jpeg034E610A-8CF4-4BFD-9311-B5BCD1637747 (resized).jpeg1128304B-B895-42F3-AD83-ACC9B57F8B86 (resized).jpeg1128304B-B895-42F3-AD83-ACC9B57F8B86 (resized).jpeg9380BF47-CF5D-4BE7-8986-BEAEA9F17689 (resized).jpeg9380BF47-CF5D-4BE7-8986-BEAEA9F17689 (resized).jpeg9DCAEE99-6D25-423B-9A85-A98B9877446C (resized).jpeg9DCAEE99-6D25-423B-9A85-A98B9877446C (resized).jpegD608C9AE-8839-4F17-9B91-8E39304FBBF0 (resized).jpegD608C9AE-8839-4F17-9B91-8E39304FBBF0 (resized).jpegF670C95C-7F32-44E6-8068-FDAAE88A0AD4 (resized).jpegF670C95C-7F32-44E6-8068-FDAAE88A0AD4 (resized).jpeg
#11552 2 years ago

Sounds a lot like this recent thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-clock-running-slow-and-resetting-in-game-play#post-6614710. Check that motor driver board for any obvious issues like broken solder joints, and reseat ribbon cables.

#11553 2 years ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Two issues with my clock (ingo board from previous owner). Clock spins very slowly at machine startup and will give a clock broken error. Letting it warm up a few minutes then restarting the machine it moves normal speed and the error will go away.
My clock was also reading 6 hours off (ex machine says 12 and clock reads 6)
Ingo board works fine and all optos read fine in test. Clock will go backward and forward fine also.
Fixed the hour issue by disassembling the clock and realizing hour hand can be installed two separate ways. Just flipped it around 180 degrees.
For my slow clock at power on not sure if motor is dying or drowning with grease. Gears do seem liberally caked with lithium grease or similar from prior owner.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'd suspect a poor connection (eg IDC connector) as they can disappear as the machine warms up. Reseat the associated connectors and see if the problem persists, this will confirm and help you identify the connector that is causing the issue

#11554 2 years ago

Merry Christmas to all lost in the Zone!

#11555 2 years ago

Nice, clock board. I got an Ingo, white one too. Love it. I used the color changing LEDS.

#11556 2 years ago

Merry Christmas!

TZ Christmas (resized).jpgTZ Christmas (resized).jpg
#11557 2 years ago

Just bought a TW. Needs some work and a cleaning but I'm psyched

#11558 2 years ago

In case anyone is looking for a new clock housing…

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/127028

71E1BE4C-4376-47EE-BD9B-5F88EC37C265 (resized).jpeg71E1BE4C-4376-47EE-BD9B-5F88EC37C265 (resized).jpeg
#11559 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Just bought a TW. Needs some work and a cleaning but I'm psyched

Duh...TZ

#11560 2 years ago

Has anyone had any recent communication with Inglo for a clock board order?

For those who have previously ordered a board, did they forward tracking info when it was shipped?

I sent two order status inquiries (Sept & Dec) that have gone answered. Last info I received was back in July that they were to resume shipping sometime in August. Given it is 4 months later…. I am wondering a bit.

#11561 2 years ago

I think there are many people who bought 2. Maybe on for spare. Maybe put up add wanting to buy and Ingo clock board. I have one of his clock boards. With color changing LEDs. Awesome!

#11562 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/tonyf1965- Thanks. I actually ordered/ paid back in early April and just been waiting. They offered a refund early on, but I have been fine to wait, occasionally checking back every 2-3 months to make sure nothing changed on their end. Prior to Sept, I got replies to my messages. I don’t want to assume anything, but figured others here may have had orders as well and received them or got some sort of update recently.

#11563 2 years ago
Quoted from gregariousone:

Has anyone had any recent communication with Inglo for a clock board order?
For those who have previously ordered a board, did they forward tracking info when it was shipped?
I sent two order status inquiries (Sept & Dec) that have gone answered. Last info I received was back in July that they were to resume shipping sometime in August. Given it is 4 months later…. I am wondering a bit.

I have emailed them multiple times starting in early October, and been promised the board a few times...only to get feedback from them that they could not finish the board. I got an email saying they would send the board out in October, only to later get another email a week or so later saying that there were more delays. The most recent email I got is below:

------------------------
Montag, 25 Oktober 2021, 04:33PM +02:00 von Outlook Teresa [email protected]:

Hello, unfortunately we won't be able to ship until Christmas, we will be out immediately after Christmas, the reason we don't have time to solder until the end. At Christmas we solder the rest and ship it immediately. Sorry, there is no other way, you can always get your money back. Happy Christmas
Teresa

#11564 2 years ago

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with parts cleaning devices. I am considering getting one but am unsure which style, rotary or vibratory is best. Would welcome and appreciate some opinions.
Thanks

#11565 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with parts cleaning devices. I am considering getting one but am unsure which style, rotary or vibratory is best. Would welcome and appreciate some opinions.
Thanks

Vibratory. Cleans and polishes better, generally holds more stuff and irregularly shaped objects.

#11566 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Vibratory. Cleans and polishes better, generally holds more stuff and irregularly shaped objects.

Thanks mbaumle. I am not going to get a huge one. Maybe 5lb. I was previously leaning towards a rotary.

#11567 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Hi,
Thanks

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for the clean and a vibratory tumbler to polish. You can just use a tumbler but would be going though more media.

#11568 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for the clean and a vibratory tumbler to polish. You can just use a tumbler but would be going though more media.

Thanks Manny65. I didnt even think about ultrasonic. Maybe thats the way I should go. I'll know better after the TZ arrives and I can give it a thorough inspection.

#11569 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Thanks Manny65. I didnt even think about ultrasonic. Maybe thats the way I should go. I'll know better after the TZ arrives and I can give it a thorough inspection.

The nice thing also about having an ultrasonic cleaner is that you can clean various plastic components as well ... but DON'T throw the PF plastics in as it can damage the printed artwork

#11570 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The nice thing also about having an ultrasonic cleaner is that you can clean various plastic components as well ... but DON'T throw the PF plastics in as it can damage the printed artwork

Good point. I wouldn't have known that.

#11571 2 years ago

The machine I bought and corroded batteries. I did not get to thoroughly inspect the pcb. The game came up and played albeit with some errors. My first order of business will be to complete a thorough inspection and making a list of what needs to be done. The last machine was not in bad shape but this one will be a challenge.

#11572 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

The machine I bought and corroded batteries. I did not get to thoroughly inspect the pcb. The game came up and played albeit with some errors. My first order of business will be to complete a thorough inspection and making a list of what needs to be done. The last machine was not in bad shape but this one will be a challenge.

I'm sure you realize that the most important thing right now is pulling the CPU, cutting off the battery holder and neutralizing the leaked electrolyte with a mild acid like white vinegar right away to stop it's corrosion of the board. Use an old toothbrush to lightly scrub the board with the vinegar.

TZ's are a ton of work... but worth it!

#11573 2 years ago
Quoted from bakerhillpins:

I'm sure you realize that the most important thing right now is pulling the CPU, cutting off the battery holder and neutralizing the leaked electrolyte with a mild acid like white vinegar right away to stop it's corrosion of the board. Use an old toothbrush to lightly scrub the board with the vinegar.
TZ's are a ton of work... but worth it!

Yes, I don't even intend on turning the game on, after arrival. (hopefully, today). I hope there is not too much damage but whatever it is I will have to fix it.

#11574 2 years ago

Question regarding ball search and missing ball compensation:

Current ROMs are 9.4h

Scenario:

Ball gets stuck someplace (currently it likes to get stuck under the powerfield occasionally). I’ll power cycle the game, so only 2 balls are in the trough. I turn the game on, press start, and instead of the game recognizing there’s only 2 balls and doing the usually ball search cycle before allowing a game to start, it starts immediately, but will ball search indefinitely. The game will refuse to compensate for the lack of a 3rd ball.

Is this how 9.4h operates? A bug? No other switch problems in the game otherwise. Plays completely fine.

#11575 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Current ROMs are 9.4h
Scenario:
Ball gets stuck someplace (currently it likes to get stuck under the powerfield occasionally). I’ll power cycle the game, so only 2 balls are in the trough. I turn the game on, press start, and instead of the game recognizing there’s only 2 balls and doing the usually ball search cycle before allowing a game to start, it starts immediately, but will ball search indefinitely. The game will refuse to compensate for the lack of a 3rd ball.
Is this how 9.4h operates? A bug? No other switch problems in the game otherwise. Plays completely fine.

Paging Coyote to the front counter please

#11576 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Paging Coyote to the front counter please
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"994830a63faa1e62bc1b38619ce6213e2ab9e72d-1641001392-1800"};
//]]>

All the answers! Sir Coyote

#11577 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Current ROMs are 9.4h
Scenario:

How many balls do you have in the machine?

You should have 6 total balls in the game including the balls in the gumball machine.

#11578 2 years ago

Happy New Year!

IMG_1991 (resized).JPGIMG_1991 (resized).JPG
#11579 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Scenario:
Ball gets stuck someplace (currently it likes to get stuck under the powerfield occasionally)...

Regarding this...

There is a playfield plastic that has an end that is covered by the mini playfield. If you slide the mini playfield out, you'll see the end of the plastic might be dipping down into the channel that the ball travels through, thus trapping the ball if it is not travelling through fast enough. If you heat that end up a bit, using a heat gun or hair dryer, you can bend it up slightly to get it out of the way of the path that the ball will travel, thus solving the stuck ball problem.

I had this exact same problem, and that solved it immediately.

#11580 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

How many balls do you have in the machine?
You should have 6 total balls in the game including the balls in the gumball machine.

I’m actually running 7. 6 steel, 1 ceramic, and have the “4 balls in gumball machine” setting turned on.

Quoted from Scotty_K:

I had this exact same problem, and that solved it immediately.

Thanks! Will look into that. I’ll be swapping the playfield on this soon, so it’s not a huge priority to fix. I just want to make sure the game is electronically sound before I dig into things

#11581 2 years ago

Well, I have power on my "new" TZ. Battery leakage luckily did not reach PCB. Some issues with upper flippers not flipping on command during a game but lowers are fine. Rt. slingshot fires sometimes when flippers (and even the coin door shuts). Ball diverter coil is weak. Filthy, some lamps out. Over-all I'm pretty happy with it.
Question. During flipper test when you select the hold selection, the flipper doesn't move, just a low buzz. Is this normal or should it flip albeit weakly?

Thanks

#11582 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

During flipper test when you select the hold selection, the flipper doesn't move, just a low buzz. Is this normal or should it flip albeit weakly?

Normal. With your hand hold the flipper up then test hold. t should hold it up.

LTG : )

#11583 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Normal. With your hand hold the flipper up then test hold. t should hold it up.
LTG : )

Thanks LTG

#11584 2 years ago

Shout out to the TZ Club! I finished my TZ today after starting the tear down during Thanksgiving weekend. Thought I’d share a photo after all the work.

EC5DCC1C-9EDA-4668-8B24-F1B512238CE5 (resized).jpegEC5DCC1C-9EDA-4668-8B24-F1B512238CE5 (resized).jpeg
#11585 2 years ago

Beautiful, TZ is a great game. Hard to get someone to part with one.

#11586 2 years ago

Hi, I made a forum pm to Indo a week ago , and today I also used the contact form from his website. Nothing yet. I need two boards for my both TZ machines.

while I am waiting an answer from Indo for the clocks boards I am going to tell you a crazy story.

I have two original repaired clock boards.

The first clock board works in Both machines as it should ( going 7-10 quarters forward and then returns to 12 o clock, or goes backwards until it finds the 12 o clock )

Knowing this I am pretty sure that both cabinets and cables are ok.

The second clock board works in both machines when the playfield is in inclined position ( when the playfield is raised standing on the metal brackets ) , but when you are placing the playfield in the playing position it can’t find the 12 o clock.

Still thinking what could interfered based on the clock position. The cables aren’t moving at all..

I know it sounds crazy but I could post a video proof!

#11587 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

Hi, I made a forum pm to Indo a week ago , and today I also used the contact form from his website. Nothing yet. I need two boards for my both TZ machines.
while I am waiting an answer from Indo for the clocks boards I am going to tell you a crazy story.
The first clock board works in Both machines as it should ( going 7-10 quarters forward and then returns to 12 o clock, or goes backwards until it finds the 12 o clock )
The second clock board works in both machines when the playfield is in inclined position ( when the playfield is raised standing on the metal brackets ) , but when you are placing the playfield in the playing position it can’t find the 12 o clock.
Still thinking what could interfered based on the clock position. The cables aren’t moving at all..

There is too much play front to back on the arm so it won’t read the 12 position. I put in a really small screw through the plastic face to put a small amount of pressure to get it back where it should be.Other people have put a small clear disc to do the same thing.

#11588 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

The first clock board works in Both machine as it should ( going 7-10 quarters forward and then returns to 12 o clock, or goes backwards until it finds the 12 o clock )
Knowing this I am 100% sure that both cabinets and cables are ok.

2 things to check:

1) On the OEM clock boards the optos should be mounted on top of a small plastic support/standoff. If this is missing or incorrect the opto will not be in the correct position for proper operation.

2) The clock hands have been known to warp away from the clock face so that the little arm on the end that swings through and triggers the opto isn't doing it's work. I've heard of folks putting a little bit of electrical tape on the tab to make it longer or heating up and bending the arm back a bit.

#11589 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

His name is Ingo. Don't expect an answer, many of us sent inquiries to him, radio silence.

#11590 2 years ago

I agree. Also I bought a bad housing from BAA. It was warped and the hands rubbed face of clock in 2 places.

#11591 2 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

There is too much play front to back on the arm so it won’t read the 12 position. I put in a really small screw through the plastic face to put a small amount of pressure to get it back where it should be.Other people have put a small clear disc to do the same thing.

bakerhillpins locksmith
Hahahah, you are right!!

It seems to be working for the moment. I was suspecting the problem was on 12 o clock. I tried with my eyes to figure out if it was playing front to back but couldn’t distinguish it. For the moment it seems to be working!
B93B1434-E9AE-454F-A309-23DFC86EAFD6 (resized).jpegB93B1434-E9AE-454F-A309-23DFC86EAFD6 (resized).jpeg

#11592 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

bakerhillpins locksmith
Hahahah, you are right!!
It seems to be working for the moment. I was suspecting the problem was on 12 o clock. I tried with my eyes to figure out if it was playing front to back but couldn’t distinguish it. For the moment it seems to be working!
[quoted image]

Some crazy stuff going on in this picture, have you modified it yourself?

The conical yellow rubber is not original (and upside down), it should be a normal small rubber ring on that post. Also, your clock is angled upwards, the metal? spacer between is definitely not original.

#11593 2 years ago
Quoted from funworldgr:

bakerhillpins locksmith
Hahahah, you are right!!
[quoted image]

As per Lhyrgoif post - here's what the TZ piano area looked like out of the factory

TZ Piano - Original (resized).jpgTZ Piano - Original (resized).jpg
#11594 2 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Also, your clock is angled upwards, the metal? spacer between is definitely not original.

Agreed. That looks like a socket from a socket set.

#11595 2 years ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

Agreed. That looks like a socket from a socket set.

Sure does! Super interested to see how this plays out, I can’t imagine the clock even fitting back in at that angle?!

#11596 2 years ago

Hi,
I have a TZ which is pretty dirty. I play to rebuild it piece by piece. My question is about cleaning though. Should i use Novus 1 unless the grime isn't cut by that? Should I use something else? I'm really afraid to damage the PF in any way because that is beyond my ability to fix. Here are some pics.
Thanks

IMG_0231 (resized).jpgIMG_0231 (resized).jpgIMG_0232 (resized).jpgIMG_0232 (resized).jpg
#11597 2 years ago

Does anyone have a new clock housing they are looking to sell? I just saw the one from last week and noticed it was sold.

If so, please PM me.

#11598 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Should i use Novus 1 unless the grime isn't cut by that?

For the kind of grime I see in your pic, I have always used Novus #2.

#11599 2 years ago
Quoted from arthurrag:

Hi,
I have a TZ which is pretty dirty. I play to rebuild it piece by piece. My question is about cleaning though. Should i use Novus 1 unless the grime isn't cut by that? Should I use something else? I'm really afraid to damage the PF in any way because that is beyond my ability to fix. Here are some pics.
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

That actually doesn't look too bad. I would start with Novus 1 and then Novus 2 as needed. Wax once clean.

#11600 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

For the kind of grime I see in your pic, I have always used Novus #2.

Quoted from awesome1:

That actually doesn't look too bad. I would start with Novus 1 and then Novus 2 as needed. Wax once clean.

Thanks, It is a big project, for me, my first rebuild/restore so I am a bit nervous and therefore trying to go piece at a time. Right now I am vibration cleaning the coin mechs, waiting for my stuff from Marco and Comet, updated rom (mine is L3), some parts for the mysterious right sling shot which triggers, sometimes, from a tap on the PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 132.00
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,629.00
Cabinet - Toppers
The Electric Playground

$ 12.95
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 15,346 posts in this topic. You are on page 232 of 307.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.