IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 220 of 305.
#10951 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it goes up when you turn the game on - bad transistor.
If it goes up when you start a game - diode on the coil issue - broken off or broken leg.
LTG : )

I thoroughly looked over the coil and diodes are not broken. Can a diode or diodes be bad and how do you check?

#10952 2 years ago
Quoted from HeavyMetalPoet:

Can a diode or diodes be bad and how do you check?

Youtube - lift one leg and check with a meter.

Tests - Switch Edge - slowly puch in your flipper buttons one at a time - be sure both optos on each board are reporting on the DMD.

#10953 2 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Thanks, Awesome, for taking the time to respond with your ideas.
Much appreciated!
But you know, I like to put the work in to modify things carefully as necessary to get a proper fit. I hate to force things and I won't go near my PF with pliers.

Nice modification! I thought of trimming mine as well and probably will, now that I see the better fit from yours, before I put my new art blades on.

I'll use the bandsaw at my work to do most of the cutting!

#10954 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Youtube - lift one leg and check with a meter.
Tests - Switch Edge - slowly puch in your flipper buttons one at a time - be sure both optos on each board are reporting on the DMD.

Removed and checked diodes. They are good. Right upper flipper opto is not registering in switch edge test. When I go into flipper coil test it has power and holding power. As soon as I go to the diagnostic and settings menu it energizes and as soon as I exit the menu it de energizes. Then when I push start it re energizes again.

#10955 2 years ago

Removed and checked diodes. They are good. Right upper flipper opto is not registering in switch edge test. When I go into flipper coil test it has power and holding power. As soon as I go to the diagnostic and settings menu it energizes and as soon as I exit the menu it de energizes. Then when I push start it re energizes again.

Sounds like a shorted transistor on Fliptronics board - check out https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Coil_Locks_On for how to test

#10956 2 years ago

My clock will start to spin continuously after the machine has been on for about an hour.

It has been suggested to me the that "Likely, the large motor-transistor on the motor driver board is overheating, and going bad." - Coyote

Would anyone care to help me locate and diagnose this issue. Where is the board itself, how to (or can i) check the transistor. Is the repair something I can do without burning up the board... etc. Aftermarket board a better option?

Thanks!

#10957 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

f it goes up when you start a game - diode on the coil issue - broken off or broken leg.

Lloyd, I love you, but I have no idea where this came from.
If a diode is bad on the coil, it won't cause the coil to magically energize... The fliptronics board only grounds the hold/power coil if it sees the player press the flipper button (or, gets an address call from the MPU.)

HeavyMetalPoet - go into test mode, and check the cabinet flipper switches. Make sure the optos are clean and being read properly by the game.
Edit: Saw that you did. Your cabinet flipper opto board is bad or dirty. Try cleaning, and if not, replace the opto.

#10958 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Would anyone care to help me locate and diagnose this issue. Where is the board itself, how to (or can i) check the transistor. Is the repair something I can do without burning up the board... etc. Aftermarket board a better option?

Don't think there are any aftermarket boards? If there are, be interesting to see who offers them.
Anyways, schematics for the board is on page 3-22, "DC Motor Control Assy", and parts are on 2-15. It's mounted on the underside of the playfield, back right area.

#10959 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Don't think there are any aftermarket boards? If there are, be interesting to see who offers them.
Anyways, schematics for the board is on page 3-22, "DC Motor Control Assy", and parts are on 2-15. It's mounted on the underside of the playfield, back right area.

Awesome, thank you!

#10960 2 years ago

Five thousand hacksaw, file, and sandpaper strokes later, I have a backless, notched switch frame. Retained a rolled edge for rigidity. Looks presentable. Fits well.
Some assembly required!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work Jason!

#10961 2 years ago

I checked and verified my transistors on my fliptronics board were good and they were so I went back to my right interrupter and why it wouldn’t register in switch edge test and realized the back of it was slightly touching the ground braid in the cabinet. Problem solved! Thanks to @ltg, Manny65 and Coyote for your advice and knowledge. Learned a lot of testing procedures during this troubleshooting process!

#10962 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

but I have no idea where this came from.

I've run into it on Addams and TZ. Leg broken on diode. Flipper goes up at start of game. Replace diode. Then it worked.

Since that fixed it. I didn't reason beyond it. I quit when things are working.

#10963 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Since that fixed it. I didn't reason beyond it. I quit when things are working

That's fair! Was curious if you had come across something I hadn't seen before.

#10964 2 years ago

I checked and verified my transistors on my fliptronics board were good and they were so I went back to my right interrupter and why it wouldn’t register in switch edge test and realized the back of it was slightly touching the ground braid in the cabinet. Problem solved! Thanks to LTG, Manny65 and Coyote for your advice and knowledge. Learned a lot of testing procedures during this troubleshooting process!

Nice work and thanks for letting us know what the issue was

#10965 2 years ago

Hi guys need advice again. I purchased a used dmd to keep as a spare for my Tz but it looks different to what's in my game. So I'm too afraid to just plug it in to test it. Can someone confirm whether this is compatible or not and if not what manufacturer / system it's from. The dmd with the pink bubble wrap around it is the one I just purchased. Thank you

IMG20210810002954 (resized).jpgIMG20210810002954 (resized).jpgIMG20210810004013 (resized).jpgIMG20210810004013 (resized).jpg
#10966 2 years ago

They're compatible.
Plug and go.

You on;y need to worry if the replacement is a low-voltage LED unit, but in that case, the power plug would not fit.

#10967 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

They're compatible.
Plug and go.
You on;y need to worry if the replacement is a low-voltage LED unit, but in that case, the power plug would not fit.

Thank you. Just tested and it works great

#10968 2 years ago

My Slot Machine scoop from Mantis has a smart "wing" on its left side to support the oblong target from behind. That's very positive.
However, it also has sharp edges on its mouth. That's less positive. I worry about striking those edges with the ball, possibly nicking the ball, leading to playfield scratches.
My solution?
The "r'oblong" target! It's just wide enough to block that dangerous scoop edge.
Yeah, it's a little ugly, but the peace of mind it affords is worth it.

DC5D70E2-72EE-4601-B149-20BB95869FE3 (resized).jpegDC5D70E2-72EE-4601-B149-20BB95869FE3 (resized).jpeg
#10969 2 years ago

...slightly touching the ground braid in the cabinet. Problem solved! Thanks to LTG, Manny65 and Coyote for your advice and knowledge. Learned a lot of testing procedures during this troubleshooting process!

That's awesome!
You solved your issue!
Good work!

#10970 2 years ago

My Slot Machine scoop from Mantis has a smart "wing" on its left side to support the oblong target from behind. That's very positive.
However, it also has sharp edges on its mouth. That's less positive. I worry about striking those edges with the ball, possibly nicking the ball, leading to playfield scratches.
My solution?
The "r'oblong" target! It's just wide enough to block that dangerous scoop edge.
Yeah, it's a little ugly, but the peace of mind it affords is worth it.
[quoted image]

You did such a good job modifying your mini playfield bracket - take that scoop back off and file and sand that edge until your're happy with it.

#10971 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nice work Jason!

Thanks, Art.
I'm doing this TZ justice. No hacks. No cut corners.
I hope you're feeling better.

#10972 2 years ago

Fix for unreliable auto-launch up shooter lane ramp, anyone?

I rebuilt the kicker that auto-plunges the ball up the shooter lane ramp to feed the Gumball Machine, etc., but the ball bricks/rattles through there too often. It won't make it to the top of the orbit where it's diverted to the subway and to the VUK for the Gumball Machine. It just trickles back down the right Spiral lane and drains, causing another ball to be served and auto-launched. The arm for that kicker is unobtanium, but I don't think mine is all that bad. The armature and pivot pin are nearly identical to those of the sling kickers and the V-Pad kicker. I changed the coil sleeve and the plunger/link only. It feels fine. The opto seems fine. It registers in test. I think it's a mechanical thing. The ball is somehow getting launched off kilter, but the alignment of the kicker looks okay. It's possible that the ball is careening right, then kissing the mini-post that separates the two lanes just above the one-way gate. Once it kisses that mini-post bumper, it's over. The ball hasn't a prayer of making it up/around. Do I dare remove that post rubber to give the ball 3mm of additional lane clearance? I've also checked the cradle/scoop at the end of the arm and it's intact and firmly attached.
Thanks.

#10973 2 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

You did such a good job modifying your mini playfield bracket - take that scoop back off and file and sand that edge until your're happy with it.

Hi, Awesome.
Hmm. File that edge, eh? Well, even if I filed it into a perfectly polished semi-circle, it's still an edge of stainless that stands in direct opposition to the path of the ball. It will eventually mushroom, develop a new edge, and scratch the ball. The only "fix" I see is more of a hack, and that would involve bending the leaves outward - a bit I s'pose like the Demigorgon's mouth! I don't like to modify games drastically like that. At that point it's no longer a Slot Machine scoop like everyone else's. Of course, my "r'oblong" target isn't stock, either, but it can easily be swapped out for the stock target when the game is sold. Until then, it allows me to think less about that gnarly scoop.

#10974 2 years ago

Hi, Awesome.
Hmm. File that edge, eh? Well, even if I filed it into a perfectly polished semi-circle, it's still an edge of stainless that stands in direct opposition to the path of the ball. It will eventually mushroom, develop a new edge, and scratch the ball. The only "fix" I see is more of a hack, and that would involve bending the leaves outward - a bit I s'pose like the Demigorgon's mouth! I don't like to modify games drastically like that. At that point it's no longer a Slot Machine scoop like everyone else's. Of course, my "r'oblong" target isn't stock, either, but it can easily be swapped out for the stock target when the game is sold. Until then, it allows me to think less about that gnarly scoop.

Whatever lets you enjoy your game more, then that's the best way to do it. Hopefully you will be playing this bad boy pretty soon!

#10975 2 years ago

Hello, i was wondering if anybody has used pop bumper LED rings on their TZ?
I think they would look great but amplify the need for LED_OCD GI, which im already thinking i will need anyways?

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/pop-bumper-rings

Im planning out a full led swap (minus the flashers and blinkers in the backbox).
Comet sunlight frosted 2smd
LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

Am i missing anything here? We've got a first timer here

#10976 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

I think they would look great but amplify the need for LED_OCD GI, which im already thinking i will need anyways?
Im planning out a full led swap (minus the flashers and blinkers in the backbox).
LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

I got those for my friend's TZ that I just shopped out and wasn't happy with their quality. I didn't install them.

#10977 2 years ago

..Situation under control. Got a list of testers for this.
Thanks, all.

clockboard (resized).jpgclockboard (resized).jpg

#10978 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

I haven't tried the pop bumper rings, but do have the GI-OCD and LED-OCD boards and can say that they work great with the 2 SMD style of LEDs. The "non ghosting" style of LEDs do not work that well with the OCD boards.

I'm using 2-SMD Cool White for the GI, but the Cool, Sunlight and Warm are all excellent and whichever version of white you want to use is a personal choice.

#10979 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

I just did this on mine and love it.

#10980 2 years ago
Quoted from Johncare07:I just did this on mine and love it.

pop rings or ledocd?

#10981 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

pop rings or ledocd?

pop rings

#10982 2 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Looking for a volunteer who can beta-test an LED clock board quickly - on a machine that doesn't have the GIOCD (stock machine). I'm testing a new version of the optical switches on it and need some real-world input in a hurry.

I just bought this board from Pinball life because my PCB board lights are dim, original lights, but works perfectly and was planning on putting it in soon, are the optos improved on this one?

#10983 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

I have a set of PBL's ones -
https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html

And if you want, I can sell the three to you at a discount. One was plugged in once, and then unplugged. Me p[ersonally am not a fan of them, so I put them in storage.

#10984 2 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Looking for a volunteer who can beta-test an LED clock board quickly - on a machine that doesn't have the GIOCD (stock machine). I'm testing a new version of the optical switches on it and need some real-world input in a hurry.
Just one person who is experienced with partially disassembling their own playfield clock. PM me please.
[quoted image]

If you don't get anyone hitting you up, I would be glad. Can easily disconnect my GIOCD.

#10985 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

This is the king of pop bumper rings:

#10986 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I have a set of PBL's ones -
https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html
And if you want, I can sell the three to you at a discount. One was plugged in once, and then unplugged. Me p[ersonally am not a fan of them, so I put them in storage.

Interesting, what was it you didn’t like about them out of curiousity? just the overall look?

I have a trio in my funhouse that i really like.

E30791B9-412E-4ED1-846B-409F867ABFA5 (resized).jpegE30791B9-412E-4ED1-846B-409F867ABFA5 (resized).jpeg
#10987 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

I have them
In several other games and will install them in TZ when they make an orange one…

#10988 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

I have them
In several other games and will install them in TZ when they make an orange one…

Oh man thanks for pointing that out... i was thinking they were all white and the color came from the pop caps.

#10989 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Interesting, what was it you didn’t like about them out of curiousity? just the overall look?
I have a trio in my funhouse that i really like.[quoted image]

The BIGGED thing for me was the cool-white downward-facing LEDs. I used warm-white in my TZ, so the cool-white stood out like a midget at a dwarf conference.

Had I used cool or neutral whites in my TZ, I would have loved them, yes.

I got color-matched tops, so got one Red, Yellow, and Orange, instead of going with warm-white tops.

#10990 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The BIGGED thing for me was the cool-white downward-facing LEDs. I used warm-white in my TZ, so the cool-white stood out like a midget at a dwarf conference.
Had I used cool or neutral whites in my TZ, I would have loved them, yes.
I got color-matched tops, so got one Red, Yellow, and Orange, instead of going with warm-white tops.

gotcha! sent ya a pm

#10991 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Oh man thanks for pointing that out... i was thinking they were all white and the color came from the pop caps.

Yeah - you have the choice - I have all white ones in my STTNG for example because I have purple caps and they aren't available.... The white ones are damn bright but you can dial them down with the resistor dial so that it looks good - but the coloured versions look better - the LED's merge more into the pop bumper visually - and its more subtle.
There are various suppliers and the company I use hasn't made an Orange version yet. My TZ is set up in Cool white so I am OK with the downlighters...

The only other game I have without is Whirlwind - When I add the Halo lights, I tend to go whole hog and swap out the entire pop bumper plastics with clear coloured pieces - and Whirlwind has 6 pop bumpers... this could be a little bit too much...

#10992 2 years ago

Here 2 examples: sttng with white leds the one on the left is at around 50%
Royal rumble with Red ones at full power I think.

The camera make all look way brighter than in reality…

46BBD915-4C45-4AE2-B427-830905CA2545 (resized).jpeg46BBD915-4C45-4AE2-B427-830905CA2545 (resized).jpeg4C6AF64C-91BA-4614-A4C3-4314AC1C6746 (resized).jpeg4C6AF64C-91BA-4614-A4C3-4314AC1C6746 (resized).jpeg
#10993 2 years ago

Oh - I forgot - here’s a quick view of the entire machine: nearly finished with the playfield work.. hallmark Romulan and Klingon ships are in my table now - awaiting resistors so I can finish soldering..

And I need to polish the top half of the play field… then it’s on to the boards to fix the 5v issue…

12CA7CDE-FB80-4CCC-A669-ED861A839BE6 (resized).jpeg12CA7CDE-FB80-4CCC-A669-ED861A839BE6 (resized).jpeg
#10994 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Here 2 examples: sttng with white leds the one on the left is at around 50%
Royal rumble with Red ones at full power I think.
The camera make all look way brighter than in reality…
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thats awesome thank you so much for the detailed pics! Im gonna give Coyote's pinball life colored ones a shot. For TZ they up right up in your face, so i think it'll be better to go colored for sure after seeing your pics.

#10995 2 years ago

Damn.. Now I look at it - also the target decals... The Borg ship is actually dark grey but looks pretty black here. hmm need to think about that. But it is cool because I find it disappears until the flashers go off

#10996 2 years ago

D

Quoted from Purdue:

Thats awesome thank you so much for the detailed pics! Im gonna give Coyote's pinball life colored ones a shot. For TZ they up right up in your face, so i think it'll be better to go colored for sure after seeing your pics.

Yep - good choice. Just remember to adjust the brightness to your liking before you screw everything down!!

#10997 2 years ago

Road Show with pinball life bright caps.

CD9D02C9-0EC8-4764-9EBD-99EAC49C53C4 (resized).jpegCD9D02C9-0EC8-4764-9EBD-99EAC49C53C4 (resized).jpeg

#10998 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

LED-OCD GI and Inserts
pop bumper led rings

I love the look of the EVO bright lights from Pinball Life. I have done them on all of my machine's. Color match the pop bumper caps to the color I install. Also like the down light "cool blue" lighting the pop bumpers bases. I use this same LED'S color "cool blue" throughout my GI's in the machine's along with some color LED'S. Not too much color GI's, but enough in my opinion that looks good.
20210812_064843 (resized).jpg20210812_064843 (resized).jpg20210812_064854(0) (resized).jpg20210812_064854(0) (resized).jpg20210812_065012 (resized).jpg20210812_065012 (resized).jpg20210812_065020 (resized).jpg20210812_065020 (resized).jpg20210812_065028 (resized).jpg20210812_065028 (resized).jpg20210812_065034 (resized).jpg20210812_065034 (resized).jpg20210812_065041 (resized).jpg20210812_065041 (resized).jpg

#10999 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

I love the look of the EVO bright lights from Pinball Life. I have done them on all of my machine's. Color match the pop bumper caps to the color I install. Also like the down light "cool blue" lighting the pop bumpers bases. I use this same LED'S color "cool blue" throughout my GI's in the machine's along with some color LED'S. Not too much color GI's, but enough in my opinion that looks good.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is an awesome collection my friend!!! The caps look great.

#11000 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

[quoted image]

YES!!! thank you for affirming i made the right decision!

Man that clear ramp looks so good too!

Who's side art blades are those, really nice!

f18427434fbb7085932aa3f2794a495fcf08d800 (resized).jpgf18427434fbb7085932aa3f2794a495fcf08d800 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,221 posts in this topic. You are on page 220 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/220?hl=purdue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.