Topic Stats

• 7,443 posts
  • 559 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Parker_tz
  • Topic is favorited by 300 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,931 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190914_133014 (resized).jpg
20190914_085036 (resized).jpg
20180413_153420 (resized).jpg
20190913_193728 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143652 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143720 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143714 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190911_143629 (resized).jpg
D53AEA1D-B4AF-4E0F-8C15-C6DD75E18A1C (resized).jpeg
FJIMG_20190910_173557 (resized).jpg
FJIMG_20190910_173539 (resized).jpg
Twilight-Zone-Shooter-Rod-01 (resized).jpg
20190827_222343 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190824-124646 (resized).png

There are 7443 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 149.
#1051 4 years ago

Going on two years of ownership - TZ still rocks. This is a game for the ages!

#1052 4 years ago

Hi y'all.... I am looking for a nice custom TZ shooter rod.... can anyone help me?

(just in case my previous post was missed among all these rom discussion)

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Hi y'all.... I am looking for a nice custom TZ shooter rod.... can anyone help me?

I bought one of these, really like it.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2551

TZROD.jpg

#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

I bought one of these, really like it.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2551
TZROD.jpg

I put one of those on mine as well and it looks great!

#1055 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

I put one of those on mine as well and it looks great!

Got a picture? Is that an original Powerball or is it "just" a white plastic ball?

I'm usually not so much into modding to appreciate alternative shooters, but i really hate the feel of flat shooter knobs.

#1056 4 years ago

It's just white plastic. I plan to paint mine.

I got it for my project TZ which I'm waiting for the cold weather before 'crossing over in to the zone' and starting. That's a story for another day.

I see the power ball in my pin is light tan with brown crackle like marbling. For some reason, I though it was more blue/purple mother of pearl colored. Not sure where I got that idea, I checked the power ball in pinball arcade which is also light tan. Well maybe I will paint my shooter rod mother of pearl colored anyway.

#1057 4 years ago

New owner here and learning the rules. Question about the powerball: I understand the powerball goal is to get powerball mania (multiball). The powerball is more difficult to control and easily drained, so getting the powermania multiball makes things safer. The powerball is initially released by the slot machine on the right flipper, and if not flipped it bounces comfortably on the left flipper. From the left flipper all you need to do is to shoot the right spiral orbit to get to powerball mania. After the bounce from the right to the left flipper, the powerball moves very slowly on the left flipper, so the shot to the right spiral orbit is very easy. I do this all the time and it works 9 out of 10 times. But in this way the powerball gameplay is extremely short. Is this the correct strategy, or am I missing something?

#1058 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I have the Modfather shooter rod. You can get them from mezelmods.com.

Modfather TZ Rod.jpg

#1059 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

New owner here and learning the rules. Question about the powerball: I understand the powerball goal is to get powerball mania (multiball). The powerball is more difficult to control and easily drained, so getting the powermania multiball makes things safer. The powerball is initially released by the slot machine on the right flipper, and if not flipped it bounces comfortably on the left flipper. From the left flipper all you need to do is to shoot the right spiral orbit to get to powerball mania. After the bounce from the right to the left flipper, the powerball moves very slowly on the left flipper, so the shot to the right spiral orbit is very easy. I do this all the time and it works 9 out of 10 times. But in this way the powerball gameplay is extremely short. Is this the correct strategy, or am I missing something?

If you keep it in play longer, the 'Power Payoff' (the initial award for getting the powerball BACK into the gumball) is higher. But, then, you risk losing the ball, of course.

#1060 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If you keep it in play longer, the 'Power Payoff' (the initial award for getting the powerball BACK into the gumball) is higher. But, then, you risk losing the ball, of course.

Thanks. Although not always the powerball start the powerball mania if shot at the right spiral immediately... Why is that?

#1061 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Thanks. Although not always the powerball start the powerball mania if shot at the right spiral immediately... Why is that?

It should always.

If the gumball diverter doesn't open in time, then it'll continue the powerball mode.

#1062 4 years ago

It sometimes happen for me that the diverter doesn't open for me in time if the powerball flies super fast through the spiral.
Is that normal or is there a way to adjust it?

#1063 4 years ago

My wife is at her mom's.... so I thought.... how shall I spend a rainy winter sunday alone at home?

20150726_134243.jpg

#1064 4 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

It sometimes happen for me that the diverter doesn't open for me in time if the powerball flies super fast through the spiral.
Is that normal or is there a way to adjust it?

Yup! Shoot slower.

No, there's no real way to make it open faster. THe MPU can only run at such a speed, and depending on what else is going on in the background, it may not read the switches, and then read the EEPROM to jump to the memory to look up what to do.

When my game was clean and shiny, I could often shoot the loop and miss the diverter.

#1065 4 years ago

I wonder if Pat intentionally left it like this, knowing it's a bug/design flaw.
Cheramic ball is really fast and they knew that when they were making this feature.

#1066 4 years ago

I noticed the setting A.2 345: balls in gumball. Mine is set to 2, but I always have 3 balls in the gumball. The game plays fine. So why setting is 2 and I get 3.

And what is the point with this setting?

#1067 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

I noticed the setting A.2 345: balls in gumball. Mine is set to 2, but I always have 3 balls in the gumball. The game plays fine. So why setting is 2 and I get 3.
And what is the point with this setting?

This setting really does not do much, if anything. The game will work fine with however many you have in there. It may be used on end-of-LITZ reloading, as well as 'virtual powerball' mode, when you have the gumball turned off. I've left mine on 3, but have 4 in there, and never had issues.

#1068 4 years ago

so you have 4 in the gumball, and 2 in the trough, right? i have 3 in the gumball, and 3 in the trough. I guess in this way the gumball is more rare, right?

by the way: sometimes I get the "extra ball in the gumball" error, although it always clears by itself after few plays.

#1069 4 years ago

I personally keep 4 in the gumball, 3 in the trough - 6 steel, 1 ceramic - since my game was originally shipped with that. The game will ALWAYS keep 3 in the trough, regardless of how many are in the gumball. (For example - if you take a ball out of the trough and try starting a game, it'll ball search a few times, then spit a ball out of the gumball, load it into the trough and then let you start a game.)

#1070 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

so you have 4 in the gumball, and 2 in the trough, right? i have 3 in the gumball, and 3 in the trough. I guess in this way the gumball is more rare, right?
by the way: sometimes I get the "extra ball in the gumball" error, although it always clears by itself after few plays.

It gives you the extra ball error because you told the machine through the settings that there should only be 2 balls in the gumball machine.
Choosing 2 balls in gumball makes no sense if you have 6 balls in the game. The gumball setting tells the machine how many balls it should expect in the gumball machine, not how much it should keep there.

You get the error message every time the machine had a chance to count the balls in the game, e.g. after LITZ. When it looses track of the ball count the error message will disappear. If you don't get the sense of all this imagine having only five balls in the game but not setting gumball to "2". Then on every "count occasion" the machine would try to find the 6th ball. The same thing is happening in your setup, just the other way around. Since it has no switches that see the balls stored in the gumball you have to tell the machine how many are inside.

#1071 4 years ago

Never knew that^ learn something new everyday...

#1072 4 years ago

I'm in, I think. Will be delivered in a week hopefully sooner. I'll post some pics when I get it in place. From the pics I saw it's a real beauty.

#1073 4 years ago

Look at what I've found at pinballdecals.com:

Pic130136.pngPic130138.png

#1074 4 years ago

a steve carell shooter rod. sweet....

#1075 4 years ago

Sweet that shooter Rod made it to pinballdecals, so it's probably only like $120 to get one.

#1076 4 years ago

danke someoneelse!

#1077 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Sweet that shooter Rod made it to pinballdecals, so it's probably only like $120 to get one.

Joey from pinballdecals is a very nice pinball guy.... anyway, if you're looking for some another awesome shooter "Rod"s, PM our pinside fellow "pinball_customs".

#1078 4 years ago

EDIT: Question resolved!

#1079 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I'm in, I think. Will be delivered in a week hopefully sooner. I'll post some pics when I get it in place. From the pics I saw it's a real beauty.

You should be in soon Rob, TZ has been picked up and is on the way!

#1080 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

awesome man. delivery date between 7/30 and 8/4. just bought a darn nice funhouse about 20 minutes ago too. local. bad timing but I had to snag it. should get my freshly restored ebd up and running in the next few days too. big pinball week at brownies!!!!

#1081 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

ps while I don't have the TZ from Crispin yet I am confident it will be as represented (which is awesome). Assuming that is the case I would not hesitate to recommend doing business with him. He was easily the best and most thorough communicator I have dealt with to date. really impressive.

#1082 4 years ago

Hey thanks for the kind words Rob. I know how nerve racking it is when you can't inspect in person due to distance. Just trying to give you the closest and best representation of the pin that I can. I'm glad she'll be going to someone that's going to play the hell out of her! Lmk how it turns out, enjoy!

#1083 4 years ago

Internal cabinet decals installed today!

IMG-20150729-WA0000.jpgIMG-20150729-WA0001.jpgIMG-20150729-WA0002.jpgIMG-20150729-WA0003.jpg

#1084 4 years ago

One more week till it comes home...... we're anxious......

20141029_194010.jpg

#1085 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Hey thanks for the kind words Rob. I know how nerve racking it is when you can't inspect in person due to distance. Just trying to give you the closest and best representation of the pin that I can. I'm glad she'll be going to someone that's going to play the hell out of her! Lmk how it turns out, enjoy!

Boom! A couple minor adjustments and some brighter LEDS to suit my personal tastes and here she is. Crispin is THE MAN. Great guy to deal with!!!

tz1.jpg

#1086 4 years ago

Sometimes the ball, when very slow, stops at the top of the spiral orbit (in this area of the playfield is even difficult to see it). The only way to move it is to shake the pinball, sometimes getting a tilt. Is it normal that the ball stops up there? Any suggestion on how to reduce this problem?

#1087 4 years ago

Playing TZ for around a month now.. Really love this pinball, very addictive and so much to do.
But I am wondering about the rule of the game regarding the door panels to be lit: its enough to enter the piano or the slot machine and you get one of them lit, then its just your choice to go for the points related to the lit panel or to simply carry on collecting other panels shooting again to the piano or the slot machine.
Has anybody ever thought about about a software revision that will award a lit panel only if a certain amount of point/tasks are achieved relatively to the specific panel just "activated"? This pinball would become even more difficult, but I think it would make it absolutely perfect!

#1088 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Playing TZ for around a month now.. Really love this pinball, very addictive and so much to do.
But I am wondering about the rule of the game regarding the door panels to be lit: its enough to enter the piano or the slot machine and you get one of them lit, then its just your choice to go for the points related to the lit panel or to simply carry on collecting other panels shooting again to the piano or the slot machine.
Has anybody ever thought about about a software revision that will award a lit panel only if a certain amount of point/tasks are achieved relatively to the specific panel just "activated"? This pinball would become even more difficult, but I think it would make it absolutely perfect!

The negative of this is that forcing you to play through modes would make it WAY more difficult to get to LITZ. As far as points go, it would only really make sense to go for the easier to achieve multiballs over and over. It would require rebalancing the whole game. I currently like going for LITZ as my main goal and starting the various other multiballs along the way.

#1089 4 years ago

Of course it would imply rebalancing few things. I wouldn't make each mode too tough (in order to lit a panel), just a bit so that the player HAS TO DO something related to that mode. About making it to LITZ, it would certainly be harder. But this new set of rules would be home-use specific, so it would go along 5 balls (and 7 balls in the machine as the latest home-use rom), maybe longer times for ball saver, narrow outlanes, easing of some of the other rules and so on.

My point is that TZ is a machine so rich in features, that the game rules could be furtherly improved for a home-use crowd (where increased game time is not an issue).

#1090 4 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Sometimes the ball, when very slow, stops at the top of the spiral orbit (in this area of the playfield is even difficult to see it). The only way to move it is to shake the pinball, sometimes getting a tilt. Is it normal that the ball stops up there? Any suggestion on how to reduce this problem?

Sounds like the ball's stopping on the gumball diverter, for some reason. Make sure that the diverter is closing fully. If it IS, just wait for a ball search then, and the diverter will kick the ball around. (Instead of trying to nudge it and tilting..)

Quoted from Luppin:

Of course it would imply rebalancing few things. I wouldn't make each mode too tough (in order to lit a panel), just a bit so that the player HAS TO DO something related to that mode. About making it to LITZ, it would certainly be harder. But this new set of rules would be home-use specific, so it would go along 5 balls (and 7 balls in the machine as the latest home-use rom), maybe longer times for ball saver, narrow outlanes, easing of some of the other rules and so on.
My point is that TZ is a machine so rich in features, that the game rules could be furtherly improved for a home-use crowd (where increased game time is not an issue).

Go grab FreeWPC, and get to work! Make it yourself!

#1091 4 years ago

interesting, thanks, although I don't think I 'll have the time and skills to do that.

Anyway where to buy and how does it work? how to program it?

#1092 4 years ago

Anybody happen to have a spare "Defeat the Power" mini playfield sign?

I just put the GLM mini switch kit on my TZ and noticed that that sign has a few more scratches on it than I'd prefer for reuse. I'm not too particularly keen on paying one of the parts suppliers $7 in shipping on a $15 piece of plastic, either, when I know it can be shipped for about two bucks or less.

Let me know if anybody happens to have an extra one and what you'd want for it.

Thanks!

(Unfortunately, I already bought the Magna-Flip sign a while ago in a separate large parts order, so I don't need the set.)

#1093 4 years ago

Haven't played my TZ for a while now and few days ago I powered it up, played few games and suddenly ball release coil and lock release coil stopped working. Went into the test mode and both solenoids work. I wasn't expecting that.
Like there's a switch problem that the system doesn't recognize the ball is there to kick it out.. But even the ball search process doesn't kick'em out?!
Didn't had time to actually look deeper into this problem, that's why I'm asking here if anyone's got a clue what might be the cause of it.

#1094 4 years ago

Hey guys, I'm running into a problem with my TZ restoration. Basically I'm looking for a replacement shooter lane cover, as explained here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-looking-for-a-tz-shooter-lane-cover

Hopefully a fellow club member can help me out!

#1095 4 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Haven't played my TZ for a while now and few days ago I powered it up, played few games and suddenly ball release coil and lock release coil stopped working. Went into the test mode and both solenoids work. I wasn't expecting that.
Like there's a switch problem that the system doesn't recognize the ball is there to kick it out.. But even the ball search process doesn't kick'em out?!
Didn't had time to actually look deeper into this problem, that's why I'm asking here if anyone's got a clue what might be the cause of it.

had that on mine. first issue was the trough proximity switch connector was making poor contact. well documented here on pinside. then it wouldnt recognize the end of ball. that turned out to be an led from one of my spotlights stuck under the trough actuator.

#1096 4 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

Check the switch at the start of the shooter lane is registering that the ball is there. If the coils work, it means they aren't getting the signal to fire the ball. Just put a ball there in switch test mode and see.

#1097 4 years ago
#1098 4 years ago

Has anyone encountered a problem with the clock/system loosing the correct time? When in the attract mode, the clock displays the wrong time, however, it keeps the correct date and day of week. The batteries are new, and I'm running a L-3 ROM.

#1099 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Check the switch at the start of the shooter lane is registering that the ball is there. If the coils work, it means they aren't getting the signal to fire the ball. Just put a ball there in switch test mode and see.

rcbrown316 and dendoc, tried that but it didn't help.
Proximity sensor is working. The switch on shooter lane is working. The ball still wouldn't kick out.
Then noticed I have 4 balls in gumball. Released one in the test mode. Started a new game and the ball was kicked.
Solved now
Did anyone experienced the same issue with 4 balls in gumball that would prevent new ball to kick out?

#1100 4 years ago

Hi Guys - I am doing a full TZ LED kit to install and just have some questions regarding how to lift up the mini playfield to get under it. Are there any clear directions on how to do this? Unfortunately, I don't have a manual handy! Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 7443 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 149.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside