IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,223 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 305.
#9851 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Have another issue slot machine scoop so very very weak amd ever so often it will not come out at all the game will go into find mode firing all solenoids and after about 5 minutes ball will come dribbling out

Most likely a physical issue, is the plunger for the upkick binding? Is a portion at the end (where it strikes the ball) chipped or broken off?

#9852 3 years ago

It was the braket it was loose under the playfield

#9853 3 years ago

Only issue I have now is with the door I have 2 wires coming down he had it jumped off some kind of way I bought the bracket and the cherry button for it I just dont remember how it had it jumped off to engage it

#9854 3 years ago

And if I get Powerball and I shoot it past orange and yellow it comes out of the slot scoop as a regular ball the next one that comes out of the slot next time is the powerball

#9855 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Have another issue slot machine scoop so very very weak amd ever so often it will not come out at all the game will go into find mode firing all solenoids and after about 5 minutes ball will come dribbling out

Check to make sure the shaft has not expanded due to age. On my machine the end of the shaft is plastic and was peened so bad it dragged in the coil sleeve. You can see if it moves easily without disassembling.

After I cured this it was good, but intermittent. I found a shooter tip rubber down in there slowing things down. (I just got the game a couple of weeks ago)

#9856 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Only issue I have now is with the door I have 2 wires coming down he had it jumped off some kind of way I bought the bracket and the cherry button for it I just dont remember how it had it jumped off to engage it

One wire connects to NO (normally open) and the other wire connects to COM (common).

#9857 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

And if I get Powerball and I shoot it past orange and yellow it comes out of the slot scoop as a regular ball the next one that comes out of the slot next time is the powerball

Sounds like a bad switch in the slot kickout and it doesn't know a ball is sitting there and you get a second ball backed up and it kicks out the first.

The Powerball shouldn't get replaced there, but it will get replaced if you lock it in the gumball or upper right multiball lock.

Does you game announce the Powerball when it is in play? If not, the metal ball eddy sensors need to be inspected. Most times it's a loose connection.

#9858 3 years ago

It only does it when shooting it and it does announce it's the power ball if I hit it on the red or orange it shoots it out ofcourse only of I shoot it all the way and it comes out the slot and says Powerball now the next shot after the ball drains is the Powerball

#9859 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

It only does it when shooting it and it does announce it's the power ball if I hit it on the red or orange it shoots it out ofcourse only of I shoot it all the way and it comes out the slot and says Powerball now the next shot after the ball drains is the Powerball

Scott send me a message with email. I can’t contact you anymore.

#9860 3 years ago

Okay thanks everyone for the help I got the last thing or so I thought when I put the playfield back down I got a clock broke error I went to test it and in test mode its doing nothing

#9861 3 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Okay thanks everyone for the help I got the last thing or so I thought when I put the playfield back down I got a clock broke error I went to test it and in test mode its doing nothing

I'd make sure the connectors are in tight just underneath the front of the clock. Just think, you're gonna be a TZ pro soon

#9862 3 years ago

Wondering if anyone has experience with these issues or have the solution.

1. Ball save won’t register on most games.

2. “Diverter” won’t activate automatically and out the ball in the shooter lane. Ball just goes in the auto plunger ramp and fires.

3. I Just changed the iso boards for the flippers. For some reason, the right flipper gets stuck and stays stuck after the start button is pushed. After turning the machine on and off a few times, it seems to work normal but after about 3 games. The right flipper went back to being stuck as if someone was pushing and holding the flipper button.

#9863 3 years ago

It was a loose connector thanks

#9864 3 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

1. Ball save won’t register on most games.

2. “Diverter” won’t activate automatically and out the ball in the shooter lane. Ball just goes in the auto plunger ramp and fires.

3. I Just changed the iso boards for the flippers. For some reason, the right flipper gets stuck and stays stuck after the start button is pushed. After turning the machine on and off a few times, it seems to work normal but after about 3 games. The right flipper went back to being stuck as if someone was pushing and holding the flipper button.

1. You will need to explain this better. Are you meaning that the ball saver is active (fast "Exra Ball" light flash), and you drain and the game goes into bonus?
2. This also dosen't make any sense, as the shooter diverter, when ACTIVE, should pop the ball into the autolauncher. When INACTIVE (closed), it should go to the shooter.
3. Put your old boards back in. Do they work correctly? Then you got a bad replacement board, or something is interfering it with picking up the opto light.

#9865 3 years ago

Got the 3 decals from PinballPimp in the mail today, they're looking great and have good quality!
Still waiting on the backboard decal from a different shop... It is all coming together

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 18.52.19 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-02-16 at 18.52.19 (resized).jpeg

#9866 3 years ago

Please excuse me for being a knucklehead but i see the em2 and the entering the twilight zone stickers but what is the third one? Is it the one on the ramp?

They do look fabulous and i will be ordering as well.

#9867 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

1. You will need to explain this better. Are you meaning that the ball saver is active (fast "Exra Ball" light flash), and you drain and the game goes into bonus?
2. This also dosen't make any sense, as the shooter diverter, when ACTIVE, should pop the ball into the autolauncher. When INACTIVE (closed), it should go to the shooter.
3. Put your old boards back in. Do they work correctly? Then you got a bad replacement board, or something is interfering it with picking up the opto light.

“Diverter” stays open some games and the ball auto plungers instead of passing ball to shooter lane so I can use the plunger.

Other photo: When I drain right away, the ball save doesn’t activate, I just loose the ball and it starts the next ball.

I hope I explained it better.

Thanks for any good advice.

24752507-2CC2-4F6C-AADA-D99F1DCBDBF2 (resized).jpeg24752507-2CC2-4F6C-AADA-D99F1DCBDBF2 (resized).jpegEAE4397C-B6B5-4C8E-B4AB-737B7579B990 (resized).jpegEAE4397C-B6B5-4C8E-B4AB-737B7579B990 (resized).jpeg
#9868 3 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

“Diverter” stays open some games and the ball auto plungers instead of passing ball to shooter lane so I can use the plunger.
Other photo: When I drain right away, the ball save doesn’t activate, I just loose the ball and it starts the next ball.
I hope I explained it better.
Thanks for any good advice.[quoted image][quoted image]

In regards to ball save, what ROM version do you have? I believe that the official releases only had ball save on ball 1(if enabled in the settings) while 9.4H has the ability to have ball save enabled on all balls (again via the settings)

#9869 3 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Okay, as per your furst post, it's not 'failing to activate', it's not closing. Hardware issue - it's either gummed up, spring is weak or broke. Will need to look at it and see what is binding it up

Quoted from McDoom:

If the Extra Ball button - what you have an arrow at - is not flashing fast, then you have no ball saver. You either (1) Aren't running a ROM revision that supports it (as Manny65 said) , or (2) you are running a ROM revision that supports it, and haven't enabled it in the settings.

#9870 3 years ago

More
In regards to ball save, what ROM version do you have? I believe that the official releases only had ball save on ball 1(if enabled in the settings) while 9.4H has the ability to have ball save enabled on all balls (again via the settings)

Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, as per your furst post, it's not 'failing to activate', it's not closing. Hardware issue - it's either gummed up, spring is weak or broke. Will need to look at it and see what is binding it up

I’m running version 9.4h. I’m going to look into this more (check the hardware and settings).

Thanks

#9871 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

To be correct, also official 9.2 has ball saves beyond the first!

#9872 3 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

More

I’m running version 9.4h. I’m going to look into this more (check the hardware and settings).

Quoted from Alby87:

To be correct, also official 9.2 has ball saves beyond the first!

I THINK that H-8 it was introduced into. However, that was literal decades ago, so I could be wrong. Could be 9.2 introduced it.

Anyways, look for "FREE RIDE" settings. That's what they're called in the Adjustments menu.

And why am I asking these questions? Because if the light IS flashing and you're not getting the ball re-served, it could mean you have an issue with your trough switches. There's a difference between 'ball save not giving me the ball back' and 'ball save not active'.

#9873 3 years ago

I recently installed from TNT Amusements Frank's lithium coin battery boards in both my Getaway and my TZ. I've noticed on my TZ that the time will not be kept properly when the machine is off, in that when you turn on the machine the time and date will be as of when the machine was turned off. With the Getaway the time is kept accurately. All other settings on the TZ are properly kept. I do not receive the "Time and Date Not Set" error when I turn it on.

When I reset the time and date to be correct and leave the machine on after a few minutes the clock moves to the correct time and keeps the correct time while the machine is on.

So with the TZ is this somehow an issue with the clock on the playfield and its interaction with the clock in the logic board or is this strictly something wonky with the logic board? My TZ clock board is original but long ago modified for LEDs. The machine itself has been in storage for many years but I am bringing her back to life. Everything else on the machine works fine other than I need to replace a dead Geneva switch.

I guess I can swap boards with the Getaway to see if the issue persists but thought I would ask the experts here first if it is somehow related to the playfield clock.

Thanks.

#9874 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

So with the TZ is this somehow an issue with the clock on the playfield and its interaction with the clock in the logic board or is this strictly something wonky with the logic board?

The playfield clock has not ability to affeect the clock on the MPU - the MPU tells the clock what to do. So in this case, there's something up with your MPU.

#9875 3 years ago

Thanks. Any ideas as to how to start diagnosing this other than swapping boards? I have read through each of the club forums for my three machines and I don't recall anyone having a similar issue.

#9876 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

Thanks. Any ideas as to how to start diagnosing this other than swapping boards? I have read through each of the club forums for my three machines and I don't recall anyone having a similar issue.

My guess is it is a voltage thing. The OEM batteries were 4 1/2 volts while I bet your coin battery is only 3. You need more juice. Just install lithium batteries in the oem holder or go with a remote battery pack.

#9877 3 years ago

Installed new clock board and yzfguy mod to get clock to work.

35AE9A24-00FF-42D5-A5D8-430CB5C1E60B (resized).jpeg35AE9A24-00FF-42D5-A5D8-430CB5C1E60B (resized).jpeg
#9878 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Installed new clock board and yzfguy mod to get clock to work.
[quoted image]

Holy cow, glad I'm not the only one and that my hours of aggravation could help someone else I'm playing mine right now!

#9879 3 years ago

Your efforts were really appreciated!

#9880 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Holy cow, glad I'm not the only one and that my hours of aggravation could help someone else I'm playing mine right now!

What is your mod?

#9881 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

What is your mod?

Lol, not really a mod per say. When I replaced my clock boards, a few pages back, I also replaced the clock face and had a bitch of a time getting the optos to register properly. After extending the interruptor on the hands and having it fail, I ended up figuring out that the gears had play in them and when the playfield was in normal position, they weren't holding the clock hands back far enough to interrupt the opto sensors. So if you held them back in place, the interruptor was in the right place to work. Ended up cutting off the top of a pointed clear mini post and crazy gluing it dead center on the clear clock face so it holds the hands back a tiny bit as they rest against it. It has worked perfectly for several months now. It's clear and exactly centered, so it's not noticeable. There is a pic a few pages back.

#9882 3 years ago
Quoted from THJM:

Likely this:

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

My guess is it is a voltage thing. The OEM batteries were 4 1/2 volts while I bet your coin battery is only 3. You need more juice. Just install lithium batteries in the oem holder or go with a remote battery pack.

Not familair with this 'mod'. If it's a completely new board, or a change to the existing WPC-89 board. If it's just a change, then slight variances in resistor values, voltage requirements, caps starting to dry up could cause the RTC chip not to get enough power to keep ticking, as it were.

#9883 3 years ago

I am probably going to remote my battery pack rather than nvram on this game. I know both can live together but seems like a wasted effort to me.
I like the clock keeping time.
Before there was nvram i mounted the battery holders next to the coin box for easy change.
What are others doing?

#9884 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I am probably going to remote my battery pack rather than nvram on this game. I know both can live together but seems like a wasted effort to me.
Before there was nvram i mounted the battery holders next to the coin box for easy change.
What are others doing?

TZ is the one game in my house I allow to retain standard batteries. They are remote inside a baggie. I switch everything to NVRAM as soon as I get it, but I liked the clock and wanted it to be accurate.

#9885 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

What are others doing?

Yes you can run batteries and NVRAM together (I read a thread previous where this was tested) ... although not sure what the point would be.

I run lithium batteries (not known to leak like alkaline) although I still prefer them off the board

#9886 3 years ago

Thanks. Thats what i figured.

#9887 3 years ago

What color is the right bulb condom under the clock and what color is the one beside the slot machine?

#9888 3 years ago

My bulbs are orange at the clock, and yellow at the slot. Are they correct? I have no idea, it’s how I got it

#9889 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

What color is the right bulb condom under the clock and what color is the one beside the slot machine?

Right is yellow, left is red. Slot is yellow on mine.

#9890 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Right is yellow, left is red. Slot is yellow on mine.

This is how it should be.
Then:
Left Spiral - Yellow, and
Right Spiral (gumball sign) - Red

#9891 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Please excuse me for being a knucklehead but i see the em2 and the entering the twilight zone stickers but what is the third one? Is it the one on the ramp?
They do look fabulous and i will be ordering as well.

Sorry for the late response, but yes you are correct!
The decals I've installed are:
-Lamp decal
-Diverter decal
-Right ramp decal

Don't seem to be able to take a good picture of it though

20210219_175706 (resized).jpg20210219_175706 (resized).jpg
#9892 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Sorry for the late response, but yes you are correct!
The decals I've installed are:
-Lamp decal
-Diverter decal
-Right ramp decal
Don't seem to be able to take a good picture of it though [quoted image]

I got the ramp and diverter decal too. They look cool, and I cut a piece of mylar to fit the ramp decal just to add some protection and glossy look.

#9893 3 years ago

I'm in!

#9894 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I got the ramp and diverter decal too. They look cool, and I cut a piece of mylar to fit the ramp decal just to add some protection and glossy look.

Mylar might be a good idea indeed!
The decals change the looks of the machine more then I thought they would

#9895 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

I redid the Frank's battery board solder connections and it still failed to keep time.

I then installed a remote AA battery holder, put in lithium batteries and lo and behold the real time clock actually keeps real time on the battery. Not sure why it works perfectly in my Getaway but there you go.

Thanks everyone for your help on this.

#9896 3 years ago

what is the latest twilight zone rom (for coin use, not home) and does it have ball save beyond the first ball of the game

#9897 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

what is the latest twilight zone rom (for coin use, not home) and does it have ball save beyond the first ball of the game

9.2, and I do not remember.

#9898 3 years ago

Quoted from Coyote:

9.2, and I do not remember.

9.2 does indeed have ball save. It needs to be set, as has been discussed previously (I just set mine up that way after that was pointed out). It's called "Free Ride" in the adjustments menu. You need to enable that, and then select the number of balls that you wish for it to be in effect.

#9899 3 years ago

I thought 9.4H was the latest....I do have ball save enabled..

#9900 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I thought 9.4H was the latest....I do have ball save enabled..

Yes you do. I think he was referring to latest that is not the 9.4Home

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 22.50
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 15,223 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/198 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.