IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 192 of 305.
#9551 3 years ago
Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Speaking of mods, I have to highly, highly highly recommend the mirrored backglass from CPR. I scored this a few months back and coupled with mirrored blades the glass is nothing short of amazing.

I'd love to see some photos. I have this as well, and was so excited to install it, and... I must be doing something wrong.

#9552 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'd love to see some photos. I have this as well, and was so excited to install it, and... I must be doing something wrong.

Yeah, I bought one for my whirlwind and it looked great off the game, but while installed I honestly could barely notice the difference. It was nice, bit not worth the money, IMHO.

#9553 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Checkout boof-ed post on various things on his sample game https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/184#post-5951064
The original machine had 3 magnets and would stage them for multi-ball, so is a cool feature but was dropped for production. Yes 2 magnets on the right side where the spirals are and 1 on the left orbit spiral. Here is the 3 magnet staging that coyote did

Wow, that 3-magnet setup is cool. I definitely have 2 magnets and a production date of 6/8/1993, which I guess puts me in a full production game.

Thank you

#9554 3 years ago

When I first got my twilight zone, the rubber piece at the end of the plunger had a hole in it and was hitting direct metal to metal with the ball. So it took a fairly full plunge to get it up the shooter lane (no bounce from the rubber plunger tip). I immediately addressed and just pulled the rubber tip piece off an unused stern plunger. Now to hit a skill shot, I barely need to even move the plunger, about 1-2cm. Anymore and it goes right down the chute. Is the rubber piece that I put on the end of the plunger way to bouncy? Or do I need to get a weaker spring for the plunger? As of now, the plunger has just way too much power, to the extent that when somebody does a full plunge, I’m concerned they might damage something.

I think I either need to get a weaker spring or a firmer rubber piece at the tip of the plunger that will not bounce the ball so hard.

Thoughts?

92B397E9-08C1-422D-B0DF-BD8D824E2114 (resized).jpeg92B397E9-08C1-422D-B0DF-BD8D824E2114 (resized).jpegC03C6E71-8566-4789-95E7-DA10818CB457 (resized).jpegC03C6E71-8566-4789-95E7-DA10818CB457 (resized).jpeg
#9555 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

When I first got my twilight zone, the rubber piece at the end of the plunger had a hole in it and was hitting direct metal to metal with the ball. So it took a fairly full plunge to get it up the shooter lane (no bounce from the rubber plunger tip). I immediately addressed and just pulled the rubber tip piece off an unused stern plunger. Now to hit a skill shot, I barely need to even move the plunger, about 1-2cm. Anymore and it goes right down the chute. Is the rubber piece that I put on the end of the plunger way to bouncy? Or do I need to get a weaker spring for the plunger? As of now, the plunger has just way too much power, to the extent that when somebody does a full plunge, I’m concerned they might damage something.
I think I either need to get a weaker spring or a firmer rubber piece at the tip of the plunger that will not bounce the ball so hard.
Thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

It is recommended to use the lowest tension shooter spring in Twilight Zone.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-6

#9556 3 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Back in my day, shooter springs had colors to classify them.

#9557 3 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-6

That's perfect, exactly what I need. Thank you

#9558 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Back in my day, shooter springs had colors to classify them.

AKA the brown spring.

#9559 3 years ago

Anyone have a source for a reliable clock?

I’ve reached out to the German company that sells one here on pinside. No response from them. I tried the rotten dog clock board and it’s not consistent. Fails to read optos often.

Love the game... Just need a reliable clock.

#9560 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Anyone have a source for a reliable clock?
I’ve reached out to the German company that sells one here on pinside. No response from them. I tried the rotten dog clock board and it’s not consistent. Fails to read optos often.
Love the game... Just need a reliable clock.

A few of the guys have the clock made by ramegoom (you can search for posts by ramegoom in this thread for more info or send him a PM)

Here is his website http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=82&product_id=1057

#9561 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

A few of the guys have the clock made by ramegoom (you can search for posts by ramegoom in this thread for more info or send him a PM)
Here is his website http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=82&product_id=1057

I bought one of these about a month ago after waiting for 8 months for the ingo clock board and realizing he may never be able to ship here at this rate.
I wanted the color changing LEDs and the ability to change them as they are socketed, but this board has worked so it's better than a busted clock.

#9562 3 years ago

Hey guys, my TZ isn’t staging the balls for multiball. All magnets are working. It’s running 9.4H
Any help appreciated.

#9563 3 years ago

Sorry for resuming an old post:
Could someone show me the location of this small clear plastics?
I know only the 31-1765-25 one...

clear_plastic3 (resized).jpgclear_plastic3 (resized).jpg
#9564 3 years ago
Quoted from antoniomauro:

[quoted image]

Those are for TZ? For some reason, they look like they are from Funhouse to me.

#9565 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure that these plastics came from a TZ
See the code on shops:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1765-7

#9566 3 years ago

[quoted image]

here is one.

16098485707522128166935094930555 (resized).jpg16098485707522128166935094930555 (resized).jpg
#9567 3 years ago

[quoted image]

I could only find that one on my tear down pics as well ....

I then did a search online and it seems that this question continually comes up and other that this one plastic, nobody has been able to identify where the others were meant to go ...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-clear-plastics-question
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-where-are-these-plastics-located

20180413_123547 (resized).jpg20180413_123547 (resized).jpg
#9568 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply.
Seems that there in no place for others 4 small clear plastic!

#9569 3 years ago

[quoted image]

I’m pretty this one is also on my TZ. I can check when I’m back home

62F76006-2AE3-4936-A59B-5B9AEFEED6C3 (resized).jpeg62F76006-2AE3-4936-A59B-5B9AEFEED6C3 (resized).jpeg
#9570 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I could only find that one on my tear down pics as well ....
I then did a search online and it seems that this question continually comes up and other that this one plastic, nobody has been able to identify where the others were meant to go ...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-clear-plastics-question
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-where-are-these-plastics-located
[quoted image]

What in the flying f*ck is wrong with that TZ that's pictured? (Not yours, I'm assuming..)

#9571 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’m pretty this one is also on my TZ. I can check when I’m back home[quoted image]

Thanks!

#9572 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What in the flying f*ck is wrong with that TZ that's pictured? (Not yours, I'm assuming..)

LOL ... um yep it's mine

Do you like the ramp flap "enhancement"? Someone had put 3-4 layers of silver and clear tape over the ramp flap, not that I could see any damage on the flap or any reason for doing this ... my only guess is that it had some sort of ball hop they they were trying to address

#9573 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

LOL ... um yep it's mine
Do you like the ramp flap "enhancement"? Someone had put 3-4 layers of silver and clear tape over the ramp flap, not that I could see any damage on the flap or any reason for doing this ... my only guess is that it had some sort of ball hop they they were trying to address

Hah! Where is your upper flipper plastic? And is there a normal bulb bulb plugged into the flasher socket there? And yes, I love the tape ramp.

#9574 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Hah! Where is your upper flipper plastic? And is there a normal bulb bulb plugged into the flasher socket there? And yes, I love the tape ramp.

Oh this was a pic as I stripped the PF to get it restored and I found all sorts of hidden gems like the flasher enhancement

20180413_123055 (resized).jpg20180413_123055 (resized).jpg
#9575 3 years ago

The LEDs on my clock do not light and am trying to figure out why. On GI J120-9 and J120-3 (White/Yellow), what should be the voltage? I am reading 3.4V and I think the LED bulbs on the clock don't work when the GI is dimmed. I'm not sure the maker of the clock board, but can see LEDs attached to the board.

tz WhiteYellow (resized).jpgtz WhiteYellow (resized).jpg
#9576 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Oh this was a pic as I stripped the PF to get it restored and I found all sorts of hidden gems like the flasher enhancement
[quoted image]

Okay, your reputation isn't tarnished, then. That IS amusing, though. Suprised a normal #555 bulb would last long enough..

Quoted from Mickpat:

The LEDs on my clock do not light and am trying to figure out why. On GI J120-9 and J120-3 (White/Yellow), what should be the voltage? I am reading 3.4V and I think the LED bulbs on the clock don't work when the GI is dimmed. I'm not sure the maker of the clock board, but can see LEDs attached to the board.
[quoted image]

Are you using a GIOCD? There are some clock boards that don't work with it because of how the LEDs are in the circuit. 3.4AC is a little low - verify that reading against a bulb on the same string in the Backglass area. (Either the two bulbs in lower-right corner, or the 7 bulbs in the center toop behind the logo.)

#9577 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Are you using a GIOCD? There are some clock boards that don't work with it because of how the LEDs are in the circuit. 3.4AC is a little low - verify that reading against a bulb on the same string in the Backglass area. (Either the two bulbs in lower-right corner, or the 7 bulbs in the center toop behind the logo.)

All of the bulbs are Incandescent , but plan on replacing them with LED and this OCD board. https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards. The backglass center top (yellow/white) is also 3.4V.

#9578 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Okay, your reputation isn't tarnished, then. That IS amusing, though. Suprised a normal #555 bulb would last long enough..

Just had a quick look at the tear down pics from under the PF and that lamp wasn't connected to the flasher - looks like it was piggy backed off a control lamp connector. As to why?? ...

#9579 3 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

[quoted image]

Is the 3.4V reading while the GI is "dimmed". Press a flipper button if in attract mode and then see what the GI voltage is, as it will go to full brightness.

#9580 3 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

All of the bulbs are Incandescent , but plan on replacing them with LED and this OCD board. https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-ocd-boards. The backglass center top (yellow/white) is also 3.4V.

Quoted from awesome1:

Is the 3.4V reading while the GI is "dimmed". Press a flipper button if in attract mode and then see what the GI voltage is, as it will go to full brightness.

Yes, make sure the GI's not dimmed.
If it's NOT, and you're getting 3.4v everywhere, either:
1. Your multimeter is invalid, heh, or
2. Something upsteam is killing your voltage:
- A. Has the GI connector been redone on the PDB? Is it yellowing, brown, hot? Repin it! And the header on the board!
- B. If above looks good, check the inline Molex connector in the cabinet for same issues - burning, hot, brown, etc.
- C. Check voltage at these places, too - at the inline MOlex in the cabinet, then incoming GI feed at power board, then outgoing feed at power board.

Quoted from Manny65:

Just had a quick look at the tear down pics from under the PF and that lamp wasn't connected to the flasher - looks like it was piggy backed off a control lamp connector. As to why?? ...

Having been an operator at one point, all I can say is - if fixed a problem at the time.

#9581 3 years ago

Anyone interested in getting PinSound-compatible callouts re-done by the voice of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ? No, not for free. Please PM me.

#9582 3 years ago

Is there a way to disengage the spiral diverter going to the upper playfield? Would like to get into this playfield a little easier Thanks

#9583 3 years ago
Quoted from clemsongrr:

Is there a way to disengage the spiral diverter going to the upper playfield? Would like to get into this playfield a little easier Thanks

You can remove it, but.. it won't do anything unless you have "Battle the Power" active, and when it IS active, the diverter will open and let the ball through anyways, so.. removing the diverter won't really benefit you anything.

#9584 3 years ago
Quoted from clemsongrr:

You can set it to easy so that “the power” starts lit up, and just keep holding start to start over maybe?

#9585 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anyone interested in getting PinSound-compatible callouts re-done by the voice of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ? No, not for free. Please PM me.

Bumping this just in case. I am going to put this project together and fund it, but I may need some help in getting the full callout list together. This is the current list I have, compiled by a TZ pinball fan named Brian Dominy. I am fairly sure there are a few missing, but not sure which.

MISCELLANEOUS QUOTES

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination" -Starting a game.
"Player (number 1,2,3,4)" -Sometimes after a delay when starting multi-player games.
"Not an ordinary day or an ordinary place" -Usually whenever no significant switches are hit in the first seconds
of play, somewhat random.
"Not an ordinary day" -Variation of the above quote.
"Not an ordinary play for an ordinary day" -Variation of the above quote.
"Things are not as they first appear" -Ball Saver on, as a ball is auto-plunged back into play. -Sometimes just random.
"Beyond this door is dimension of mind" -Random.
"Beyond this door is dimension of time" -Random.
"Deal with the devil at your own risk, in the Twilight Zone" -Whenever you tilt. No quotes are given for "Danger" warnings.
"Big risk, big reward... in the Twilight Zone" -Scoring 100M or more in Bonus Countdown.

THE POWERFIELD

Rod: "Never underestimate the power, in the Twilight Zone" -First (?) drain from the Powerfield.

MULTIBALL

Rod: "Beyond this door is a dimension of sight" -Locking ball one (Robot says "Don´t touch the door" once).
Rod: "Beyond this door is a dimension of sound" -Locking ball two (Robot says "Don´t touch the door" twice).

Rod: "You have just taken a detour through the Twilight Zone" -Multiball restart has timed out, regular play has resumed.

Rod: "You have just crossed over into the Twilight Zone" -Soon after first ball is autolaunched during normal Multiball.

TOWN SQUARE MADNESS

Rod: "There is madness in town square" -Starting Town Square Madness.

EXTRA BALL

Rod: "An opportunity awaits you in the form... of an extra ball" -Lighting an Extra Ball by the door panel any other method.

CLOCK MILLIONS

Rod: "This clock... is worth millions" -Starting Clock Millions.

CLOCK CHAOS

Rod: "Time is a one-way street... except in the Twilight Zone" -Starting Clock Chaos.

THE CAMERA

Rod: "This is a most unusual camera" -Lighting the Camera via the Camera door panel.
Rod: "Picture the future" -Lighting the Camera via Robots.

HITCHHIKER

Rod: "Note the hitchhiker -- there by the side of the road" -Getting the Hitchhiker panel.

THE SPIRAL

Rod: "The spiral awaits you" -Starting the Spiral Round.

10 MILLION

Rod: "Ten million points" -Getting the 10M panel.

SUPER SLOT

Rod: "It seems that one of life's payoffs is ahead" -Starting Super Slot Round.

FAST LOCK

Rod: "It´s time to tune in to... the Twilight Zone" -Starting Fast lock Round.

SUPER SKILL SHOT

Rod: "This shot requires skill, super skill" -Lighting Super Skill Shot via the door panel.
Rod: "Be careful" -Getting the ball to manual plunger when Super Skill Shot is lit.

GREED

Rod: "The stakes are higher, in the Twilight Zone" -Starting the Greed Round.
Rod: "There, see what greed will get you?" -Scoring 25M or more during Greed Round.
Robot. "You want more? More.. more.." -Said as you hit 5M targets during Greed Round.

LOST IN THE ZONE

Rod: "You have come to the end of your journey. Survival is everything" -Starting Lost in the Zone.
Power: "Five, four, three, two, one" -Counting down your time remaining during LITZ.

END OF GAME

Rod: "Player (number): not an ordinary game, nor an ordinary player" -Just before getting to enter
your initials for a high score. Once per game.

#9586 3 years ago

Prior to today I never played this game- even out on location. Girlfriend loved playing this on location. It is her grail game. So I sold off 4 lesser priced games plus cash out of pocket and got her grail game.

I have a lot of reading/learning to do on this game. As I'm use to system 7/80b/ data east alpha/early dmd.

20210110_145336 (resized).jpg20210110_145336 (resized).jpg
#9587 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

Prior to today I never played this game- even out on location. Girlfriend loved playing this on location. It is her grail game. So I sold off 4 lesser priced games plus cash out of pocket and got her grail game.
I have a lot of reading/learning to do on this game. As I'm use to system 7/80b/ data east alpha/early dmd. [quoted image]

Excellent, have to keep the GF happy and TZ is a great game!
I also hadn't played TZ much until I purchased it a few years ago, but was looking for a "deep" home game and have always been a fan of the show!

#9588 3 years ago

Updated all of my lamps to LED. Only ~100 watts while not in use. Playfield looks great, and super bright. Very different than the old warm glow of the incandescent lamps.

20210107_192451_006 (resized).jpg20210107_192451_006 (resized).jpg20210109_130344 (resized).jpg20210109_130344 (resized).jpg20210110_150701_06 (resized).jpg20210110_150701_06 (resized).jpg20210110_181942 (resized).jpg20210110_181942 (resized).jpg
#9589 3 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

Updated all of my lamps to LED. Only ~100 watts while not in use. Playfield looks great, and super bright. Very different than the old warm glow of the incandescent lamps.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Out of curiosity what was the wattage before you changed to the led bulbs?

#9590 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Out of curiosity what was the wattage before you changed to the led bulbs?

Good question. I don't remember for 100% sure, but think it was about 300 watts.

#9591 3 years ago

I measured the before and after watt usages:

Before LEDs; 211 watts
With LEDs; 125 watts

#9592 3 years ago

Completely unrelated, but is there a TZ owner here living in the UK that can act as my intermediate and accept a package and then forward it on to me here in the US? No, not pinball related, sorry. Send me a message here if you can help. Will pay for time, effort, shipping, etc.

..I trust other TZ owners more than others here on Pinside, because ya'll know how to maintain your games.

Thanks!

#9593 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

I have a lot of reading/learning to do on this game. As I'm use to system 7/80b/ data east alpha/early dmd. [quoted image]

funny, my gf also like TZ the best...her go to game....

#9594 3 years ago

Anyone have an unused, no fade, right side cabinet decal they would sell?

31A1C9EE-9454-4C14-A12F-3756E00D6E2A (resized).jpeg31A1C9EE-9454-4C14-A12F-3756E00D6E2A (resized).jpeg
#9595 3 years ago
Quoted from Johncare07:

Anyone have an unused, no fade, right side cabinet decal they would sell?
[quoted image]

I would say just live with the faded decal or do the entire cabinet. Getting a next gen decal would likely be easy but would look funny when compared to the OEM stuff. If the fade is bugging you the aftermarket decal being different looking will drive you just as nuts. The really good stuff is the silkscreened decals but they are a premium (but worth it). Next gen is ok but you would need to do everything. Radicals are great too but that is a totally different look.

#9596 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I would say just live with the faded decal or do the entire cabinet. Getting a next gen decal would likely be easy but would look funny when compared to the OEM stuff. If the fade is bugging you the aftermarket decal being different looking will drive you just as nuts. The really good stuff is the silkscreened decals but they are a premium (but worth it). Next gen is ok but you would need to do everything. Radicals are great too but that is a totally different look.

And cost

#9597 3 years ago

I am seeing a new issue where 4 gumballs are loaded into the gumball and one is not ejected. Once this happens, the game goes into ball search mode and you cannot start a new game until you eject the balls from the gumball machine. I think this happens when you hit the right gumball ramp, but only sometimes. I haven't gone through the gumball test mode yet, but using the test setting I can eject all of the balls. The # of balls in gumball setting is set to 3. Given everything appears to be working, it appears to be a glitch in the code. Has anyone seen this issue before?

#9598 3 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

I am seeing a new issue where 4 gumballs are loaded into the gumball and one is not ejected. Once this happens, the game goes into ball search mode and you cannot start a new game until you eject the balls from the gumball machine. I think this happens when you hit the right gumball ramp, but only sometimes. I haven't gone through the gumball test mode yet, but using the test setting I can eject all of the balls. The # of balls in gumball setting is set to 3. Given everything appears to be working, it appears to be a glitch in the code. Has anyone seen this issue before?

You have the correct number if balls in the game?

#9599 3 years ago
Quoted from Mickpat:

Bad switch somewhere - potentially the 'Gumball Entry' opto.

However, having said that, in the later ROM revisions (at LEAST 9.4H, I think previous couple as well), there was code to handle this case - after a couple ball searches, the gumball will dispense a gumball. If yours is not, and you're (1) waiting long enough, and (2) on a recent ROM revision, then it's possible something is up with the motor, or Gumball Geneva switch.

#9600 3 years ago

Thanks yzfguy and Cpyote. I am using 9.4H. I don't hear the motor during the ball search. I'll start running some more tests and check the switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.50
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 192 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/192?hl=johncare07 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.