IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 305.
#9401 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Because, for money.
These games were made for a COMMERCIAL environment. That is, hey were made to MAKE MONEY. In case the slot machine scoop switch was bad, every time the ball would end up in the slot machine, the user would have to wait for the ball-search to start before getting the ball served back to them. They would get pissed off really quickly - every shot to Dead End, Camera, defeating The Power, Skillshot, and Piano. They would have to wait. And likely either walk away, or tell their friends not to play it.
There's no reason NOT to fire it if we know the ball is going to end up in the slot machine. (Like.. all those shots I just mentioned above.) This way, at least, the only time the player really has to wait is when they shoot the ball into the slot machine. ... As opposed.. every OTHER time.

Why does it fire twice? (good measure? lol)

#9402 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Because, for money.
These games were made for a COMMERCIAL environment. That is, hey were made to MAKE MONEY. In case the slot machine scoop switch was bad, every time the ball would end up in the slot machine, the user would have to wait for the ball-search to start before getting the ball served back to them. They would get pissed off really quickly - every shot to Dead End, Camera, defeating The Power, Skillshot, and Piano. They would have to wait. And likely either walk away, or tell their friends not to play it.
There's no reason NOT to fire it if we know the ball is going to end up in the slot machine. (Like.. all those shots I just mentioned above.) This way, at least, the only time the player really has to wait is when they shoot the ball into the slot machine. ... As opposed.. every OTHER time.

Your argument doesn’t make sense. In every scenario other than the skill shot it needs to go into ball search if the slot machine scoop switch is bad, right? Are you suggesting that it should fire the slot scoop randomly every few seconds just in case the switch is bad?

#9403 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Hi guys, new to the club!
Picked up TZ yesterday.
Only way to get it out of basement was to REMOVE the head. There had been some construction after it went in there.
I have everything connected except J116 and J118. They look the same and both send +12v to optos.
J116 goes to cabinet optos and J118 goes to custom opto sw 10 pcb. What is the custom opto pcb and where is it? Based on the drawings it looks like the plugs would be interchangeable. Both have the ground and are pinned the same. The cabinet optos do not show a ground but both plugs send a ground out.
I would appreciate any help. I am sure i can follow the wires to see which is which if no one here knows.
TIA
Cliff

The custom 10-opto is item 22 (vertical board) under the playfield and goes to J118.

Edit- according to the schematic J116, J117 and J118 are wired the same
DFA23226-4C9D-43C5-9617-704FFF9D4003 (resized).jpegDFA23226-4C9D-43C5-9617-704FFF9D4003 (resized).jpeg

0E602923-F06D-42E6-A272-6393665298D3 (resized).jpeg0E602923-F06D-42E6-A272-6393665298D3 (resized).jpeg
#9404 3 years ago

Thank you!

#9405 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

suggesting that it should fire the slot scoop randomly every few seconds just in case the switch is bad?

No. You either didn't read, or I was too techy. I'm saying that EXCEPT when the ball is shot straight into the slot machine, all other entrances (piano, dead end, skill shot) have a known switch just before the scoop. So, if the skill slot switches register, and then.. nothing... why not play it safe, and fire the slot machine?

Quoted from bikefreak:

Why does it fire twice? (good measure? lol)

Because since the slot switch is not being activated, the ball could be jammed up on something. (Ever lose a light bulb on the field, and have it end up in the scoop? I have, with multiple TZ's on location back in the day. )

#9406 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No. You either didn't read, or I was too techy.

I read it but didn't understand your point of view on when it should fire. Anyhow.....do you (or does anyone) know if the same logic is coded in if you hit other shots like the piano, camera, etc.? I can run an experiment to see if nobody else has tried this / can verify.

#9407 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I read it but didn't understand your point of view on when it should fire. Anyhow.....do you (or does anyone) know if the same logic is coded in if you hit other shots like the piano, camera, etc.? I can run an experiment to see if nobody else has tried this / can verify.

I am not sure if the code survived into 9.4H. I am pretty sure (running off of old memory here, because my game always work, and I haven't run anything other than 9.4H since it was released!) that other shots would, but depends on which switches are out. I.e. am pretty sure dispensing form the gumball would.

#9408 3 years ago

My Twilight Zone restore is almost done. Faded to great

2AC307CC-5D38-4610-A244-52FC3BBF8CFF (resized).jpeg2AC307CC-5D38-4610-A244-52FC3BBF8CFF (resized).jpegE96EFE5E-7791-42BC-BA97-AB005BE28821 (resized).jpegE96EFE5E-7791-42BC-BA97-AB005BE28821 (resized).jpeg5EAD6536-41C5-4A30-90F2-425491ECF515 (resized).jpeg5EAD6536-41C5-4A30-90F2-425491ECF515 (resized).jpegABBA3707-0F17-46F9-97F2-A1674597840C (resized).jpegABBA3707-0F17-46F9-97F2-A1674597840C (resized).jpegA7910654-81E8-451B-B627-410A3B51774F (resized).jpegA7910654-81E8-451B-B627-410A3B51774F (resized).jpeg844D92F8-8748-4886-B17A-558EFD93DF9F (resized).jpeg844D92F8-8748-4886-B17A-558EFD93DF9F (resized).jpegF5E1451E-EEBE-4551-9BD7-39D5711D6FC8 (resized).jpegF5E1451E-EEBE-4551-9BD7-39D5711D6FC8 (resized).jpegFE9C9160-B670-4F14-8521-0A0863CD4BBE (resized).jpegFE9C9160-B670-4F14-8521-0A0863CD4BBE (resized).jpeg03425965-26B7-4A41-9010-9861A2A4C122 (resized).jpeg03425965-26B7-4A41-9010-9861A2A4C122 (resized).jpeg
#9409 3 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great work! Some day I want to get mine looking that nice!

#9410 3 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like the black trim and legs. The whole pin looks great.

My TZ has chrome trim and lock down and it is hard to play with the light reflecting off the chrome. It had the chrome on when I got it.

#9411 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Great work! Some day I want to get mine looking that nice!

Me too!

Well done, Parker

#9412 3 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

Looks great. I think it deserves a color DMD. With all those bright colors the current DMD seems out of place.

#9413 3 years ago

That black trim looks really sleek

#9414 3 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

Wow that's come up well - congrats on the job! Like the black trim ... was the PF restored or replaced with a repro?

#9415 3 years ago

Having a bad day with dots on my WPC machines. My gumball Geneva switch is err’ing (per picture). Pulled the manual and don’t really see a good picture of what I’m looking for. The switch is open, and it’s showing in the manual as under the playfield. Is this an opto or regular switch, should it be open, and is this a common issue?

12D7A0DF-545D-4FCE-994D-DA3F5B43DEA8 (resized).jpeg12D7A0DF-545D-4FCE-994D-DA3F5B43DEA8 (resized).jpeg
#9416 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Having a bad day with dots on my WPC machines. My gumball Geneva switch is err’ing (per picture). Pulled the manual and don’t really see a good picture of what I’m looking for. The switch is open, and it’s showing in the manual as under the playfield. Is this an opto or regular switch, should it be open, and is this a common issue?
[quoted image]

It is normally open and it is a microswitch not a opto.
This might help
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-s-geneva-switch
Or this
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-gumball-geneva-switch

Quoted from Manny65:

Wow that's come up well - congrats on the job! Like the black trim ... was the PF restored or replaced with a repro?

Thanks It is a great condition used one that is not restored it had a playfield protester that might of been factory but it was pealing up so I removed it.

Quoted from yzfguy:

That black trim looks really sleek

Thanks I like it too black looks great on TZ and I got everything including the coins door, trim, legs and every bolt done for only 130.

1FD233E7-D04D-462A-8FE7-B13CD12BBA42 (resized).jpeg1FD233E7-D04D-462A-8FE7-B13CD12BBA42 (resized).jpeg

#9417 3 years ago

The switch worked fine, just had to bend the leaf in so that the geneva wheel would hit it. Now why did I have to do that all of a sudden after it was working fine, not sure, I imagine that's something I'll be dealing with down the road, for now, problem solved!

#9418 3 years ago

Sorry to dump on this thread as I’m learning what makes and keeps this pin going, I hope to pass on the knowledge I’m learning to the next TZ noob that comes along.

Anyway, any trick to keeping this guy (clock) centered? Mine keeps falling in the ramp lanes. Easy answer is to tighten the mounting screw, but whoever rebuilt this mounted with a self-tapping into the plastic (and it’s not gripping tight), assuming that’s the issue. Did it come with a machine screw and nut on the underside of the ramp?

C13862B4-E5F3-4CF4-ABB0-9477D23DB3DC (resized).jpegC13862B4-E5F3-4CF4-ABB0-9477D23DB3DC (resized).jpeg
#9419 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Did it come with a machine screw and nut on the underside of the ramp?

No idea, you'd need to find the maker of the mod and ask them, sadly.

#9420 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No idea, you'd need to find the maker of the mod and ask them, sadly.

Ugh, that's a mod? I thought I got them all off (a pyramid and space ship!). I googled TZ playfield and saw this same clock mod on some other playfields (or at least one), so thought it was stock.

Other than the PinStadiums, anything else standing out on my playfield that looks to be a mod?

IMG_0664 (resized).jpgIMG_0664 (resized).jpg
#9421 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Ugh, that's a mod? I thought I got them all off (a pyramid and space ship!). I googled TZ playfield and saw this same clock mod on some other playfields (or at least one), so thought it was stock.
Other than the PinStadiums, anything else standing out on my playfield that looks to be a mod?
[quoted image]

Judge Dreads does a mod like that, I had one but took it off because I broke the hand attached to the motor when I was doing some work.
Mine would move out of position and get hit by the ball underneath.

#9422 3 years ago

The blue clock housing is not original

#9423 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

[quoted image]

Blue clock housing, white clock face, gumball light kit... I think you have a clear ramp instead of the original smoked one...it all looks pretty normal besides that.

#9424 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Blue clock housing, white clock face, gumball light kit... I think you have a clear ramp instead of the original smoked one...it all looks pretty normal besides that.

Clear ramp is not a mod, just not as common

#9425 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Pinstadium is not a mod, it's a sin

#9426 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Marbles in the gumball machine.

#9427 3 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

white clock face

It is stock but came on early production and late prototype games for example I have game 393 and it has a white clock face. It also has the right spiral sign and I want the original left one.

#9428 3 years ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

Two other things on my list that I haven't looked at yet. (may or may not be related)
1) diverter (on ramp before the power field) flips twice sometimes. (when the ball is there) Flip to clear ball, then flip again 1-2sec later.
2) left sling during play will fire. Usually when other things around there are banging. (my guess but haven't checked yet is the switch gap may be too small and vibration is causing it)

Item 1) diverter flips twice if another switch isn't hit in 2 seconds. (or approx) So another 'not a bug but a feature'.
Item 2) adjusted switches and working fine. (as suspected)

I'm running out of things that need to be fixed.

#9429 3 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

It is stock but came on early production and late prototype games for example I have game 393 and it has a white clock face. It also has the right spiral sign and I want the original left one.

Somebody around these parts made a replica of the original left one. You can also get it if you buy a bag of replacement plastics - but there's no printing on it.

The big question is, do you have the original RIGHT side sign?

#9430 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

[quoted image]

Everyone else beat me to it.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The big question is, do you have the original RIGHT side sign?

OohOOh! I do!

#9431 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

[quoted image]

I have an original smoked grey ramp if you want to buy it

#9432 3 years ago

Pinball and bourbon!

02D8E34D-61AA-462D-8572-0E3727D71D90 (resized).jpeg02D8E34D-61AA-462D-8572-0E3727D71D90 (resized).jpeg
#9433 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Pinball and bourbon!
[quoted image]

I’ll be right over!

#9434 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ll be right over!

Oh Yeah!!!

#9435 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Sorry to dump on this thread as I’m learning what makes and keeps this pin going, I hope to pass on the knowledge I’m learning to the next TZ noob that comes along.
Anyway, any trick to keeping this guy (clock) centered? Mine keeps falling in the ramp lanes. Easy answer is to tighten the mounting screw, but whoever rebuilt this mounted with a self-tapping into the plastic (and it’s not gripping tight), assuming that’s the issue. Did it come with a machine screw and nut on the underside of the ramp?
[quoted image]

i have the same mod, i couldn't get my screw tight enough so i swapped it out for a machine screw and lock nut. hasnt moved since i installed it

#9436 3 years ago

Parker_tz Your TZ looks sweet! Nice job!

#9437 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

[quoted image]

Blue flipper rubber, different color rubber rings on posts etc.

#9438 3 years ago

I’m putting in my TZ a color DMD this weekend. Any advice or is it pretty simple?

#9439 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I’m putting in my TZ a color DMD this weekend. Any advice or is it pretty simple?

Simple. The instructions are easy to follow. Good luck!

#9440 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Simple. The instructions are easy to follow. Good luck!

Thanks! I was hoping so.

#9441 3 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

and I want the original left one.

I just purchased this one a few months ago, and I'm not regretting it at all- Best one I've seen in my opinion. the stupid metal one from PDI that's like 300 bucks is a rip-off.

This sign is very similar to the original deleted one,

ebay.com link: Twilight Zone Pinball Spiral Sign

TZ-Left Sign (resized).jpgTZ-Left Sign (resized).jpg
#9442 3 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I just purchased this one a few months ago, and I'm not regretting it at all- Best one I've seen in my opinion. the stupid metal one from PDI that's like 300 bucks is a rip-off.
ebay.com link » Twilight Zone Pinball Spiral Sign[quoted image]

How is the sign mounted? looking at the back of the sign I don't see a mount point. Does it just hang on the bulb? Seems like it would fall off if that were the case.

#9443 3 years ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

How is the sign mounted? looking at the back of the sign I don't see a mount point. Does it just hang on the bulb? Seems like it would fall off if that were the case.

It is just held on by the bulb, and it does fall off occasionally. I haven't had time, but I'm going to figure out a better way, as it is pretty annoying to have it fall off mid multiball.

#9444 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It is just held on by the bulb, and it does fall off occasionally. I haven't had time, but I'm going to figure out a better way, as it is pretty annoying to have it fall off mid multiball.

Thanks for the reply. It does look nice but needs a better mounting solution to be feasible.

#9445 3 years ago

Mines been on for a while and has not fallen off. I used a jewelers screwdriver to bend in the metal tabs in the wedge socket to tighten it up and that works fine. Like I said- tons of plays, has not fallen off for me

#9446 3 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

ebay.com link » Twilight Zone Pinball Spiral Sign[quoted image]

i also added this to my machine, looks awesome. very well made. havent had any issues of it falling off yet

#9447 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

[quoted image]

Now you need to pop the hood, and let us spot any other mods that are under the PF

#9448 3 years ago

#9449 3 years ago

Just for reference, here’s what the original 2 spiral signs looked like:

D9F8B533-E046-4BE5-B7B9-BB84BB268437 (resized).jpegD9F8B533-E046-4BE5-B7B9-BB84BB268437 (resized).jpegEE4900C7-EBA2-4FA7-9410-16F8051003EA (resized).jpegEE4900C7-EBA2-4FA7-9410-16F8051003EA (resized).jpeg
#9450 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just for reference, here’s what the original 2 spiral signs looked like:[quoted image][quoted image]

Correct -
Note that the sign should be farther to the left, and the lamp mounted off to the right of the sign, as seen in the flyer -
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
(Taken from a bad scan of the flyer, but.. you can see it.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/189 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.