New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 63352)

Twilight Zone Owner's club

By Caucasian2Step

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,322 posts
  • 681 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 minutes ago by hbagz
  • Topic is favorited by 361 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,409 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TZ Lamp - Column connections (resized).JPG
TZ Power Board - Lamp Column (resized).jpg
TZ Lamp Matrix (resized).JPG
image_160647 (resized).jpg
DC4370E7-BB11-4DD1-B072-EFFAD84B45A8 (resized).jpeg
SB54_TZ (resized).JPG
PXL_20201129_030215006 (resized).jpg
70A5A91A-90B2-4410-AABA-05B87DF925FB (resized).jpeg
D7D23576-2C37-42DA-AE0B-2B023E68DD04.jpeg
0D661D53-C969-40BC-949D-F37F711BFCF1.jpeg
04D66603-734D-4B43-9884-8572424A6215.jpeg
ED3D9256-ED81-4734-B369-556FB2394B66.jpeg
06E4844E-B89B-47A4-A25E-C90D6677E936.jpeg
8D5FC0E3-BE7B-42F2-ACB7-54C21392FCD3.jpeg
C439F3C6-3EEF-4031-B85B-E1BB03EF5D4D.jpeg
232ECEFA-84E6-4771-B51C-7358C8350F2C.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 9322 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 187.
#9251 9 days ago
Quoted from Alby87:

Hi Zoners.
You have probably know that PPS has started making official code updates of SYS11 and WPC pinballs. May I ask the state of TZ code? The last official coin release was 9.2, then Ested made that home use only version (9.4H), in prelude of 9.4 and 9.5.
I'm asking to you: PPS has the right to use what code as a base? 9.2 or 9.4H? If so, what kind of improvements/fixes would you like? In the past, I was always promoting small rules change, but the idea of these code release are in a small grade of terms.
So, what kind of update do you think TZ needs starting from 9.4H or 9.2? (I remember there was an Hitchhiker panel lightshow counting bug somewhere, but I installed 9.2 on mine, really don't want to lose the coin functionality).

PPS should have at LEAST code for 9.4. Unsure if Ted ever sent in 9.4H to his employer. check_switch_26 would have to answer that. Since PPS has all the rights, they - on theory - could do what they want. Based on stories and comments Ted's made before,the code is packed, and without his knowledge, could be difficult to do anything new without introducing new issues. (I believe? that it was also mentioned at some point that RAM storage was tight in that game, so that could be a limiting factor as well. If I'm remembering right.)

Quoted from Alby87:

I installed 9.2 on mine, really don't want to lose the coin functionality).

I've heard folks say thus, and am slightly puzzled.. 9.4H still has Coin functionality. You drop a coin in, you get a credit. You can turn off the "Free Play" message so the game shows "Credits 0".. Unless you drop a coin in, then you get "Credits 1". (Based on your coin settings, of course.) IMHO, in a home environment, the advantages to 9.4H outweigh the ability to hit Start with "Credits 0" displayed.

#9252 8 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

camera award volume bug

What is this? I've never heard or seen nor experienced this?

#9253 8 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What is this? I've never heard or seen nor experienced this?

I believe this is how it goes. When the camera award gives you “Collect Bonus”, the game volume increase. I believe it goes back to normal after the ball drains.

#9254 8 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I believe this is how it goes. When the camera award gives you “Collect Bonus”, the game volume increase. I believe it goes back to normal after the ball drains.

Huh. Never experienced this..

#9255 8 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Huh. Never experienced this..

Happens consistently on mine. I’m running 9.4h.

#9256 8 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

PPS should have at LEAST code for 9.4. Unsure if Ted ever sent in 9.4H to his employer. check_switch_26 would have to answer that. Since PPS has all the rights, they - on theory - could do what they want. Based on stories and comments Ted's made before,the code is packed, and without his knowledge, could be difficult to do anything new without introducing new issues. (I believe? that it was also mentioned at some point that RAM storage was tight in that game, so that could be a limiting factor as well. If I'm remembering right.)

I've heard folks say thus, and am slightly puzzled.. 9.4H still has Coin functionality. You drop a coin in, you get a credit. You can turn off the "Free Play" message so the game shows "Credits 0".. Unless you drop a coin in, then you get "Credits 1". (Based on your coin settings, of course.) IMHO, in a home environment, the advantages to 9.4H outweigh the ability to hit Start with "Credits 0" displayed.

The OFFICIAL build of 9.4H is free only, if you have coin functionality it’s a modified version. Ted Estes was pretty pissed when someone hacked it against his express wishes and ceased working on home roms after that.

I’d assume as it’s an “official” home rom tho that PPE can start from it if they wanted too but I don’t imagine it’s high on the list of games that need Sorens attention...

#9257 8 days ago

Got and installed my clock board from Casper's today
It works and looks great.
My glitch was that while I had it all apart, I installed new clock art, which was thicker and apparently made it so that the opto wasn't interrupted properly. After tweaking and getting aggravated as hell, my son suggested making the interrupter tab a little longer. First try was electrical tape, which worked for three games before falling off. Next was a tiny piece of thin rigid cardboard, sharpied black and glued on. Works perfectly!

Finally get to see the clock count down and switch directions during modes...aaaaahhhh victory
Still love this game, and I like the look of the white prototype looking clock as a change too.

#9258 8 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

The OFFICIAL build of 9.4H is free only, if you have coin functionality it’s a modified version. Ted Estes was pretty pissed when someone hacked it against his express wishes and ceased working on home roms after that.
I’d assume as it’s an “official” home rom tho that PPE can start from it if they wanted too but I don’t imagine it’s high on the list of games that need Sorens attention...

Coyote is pretty aware of this; you can search the thread for his previous comments

That said; I’m interested to go test this idea about the coins. Interesting game changer ...

#9259 8 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

The OFFICIAL build of 9.4H is free only, if you have coin functionality it’s a modified version.

Wait: the official version has a freeplay option to remove the freeplay message: all the coin functionality are like ever, with credits counting, replay and so on. But, the difference, is that the game will start with zero credits, and the start button lamp will never go off.

For the 9.4H... I always dreamed to own an arcade machine with all functionalities. And not being able to start the game with zero credits it's part of the game. Mind you I don"t have the third magnet, so this another feature of 9.4H I (personally) don't care. I miss the light shows (high score and hitchhiker), that's very true

#9260 8 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

You did not read what I said. Please re-read my post, as alby87 did..:

Quoted from Alby87:

Wait: the official version has a freeplay option to remove the freeplay message: all the coin functionality are like ever, with credits counting, replay and so on. But, the difference, is that the game will start with zero credits, and the start button lamp will never go off.

So yeah, you can have complete coin functionality - and still have it on free play. The difference, as I stated was that even wen it says "Credits 0" you can still hit start and start a game.

Quoted from Alby87:

For the 9.4H... I always dreamed to own an arcade machine with all functionalities. And not being able to start the game with zero credits it's part of the game. Mind you I don"t have the third magnet, so this another feature of 9.4H I (personally) don't care. I miss the light shows (high score and hitchhiker), that's very true

There's a lot of coolness in requiring 'coins' (coin drop) to play games. While a few of my games are forced free-play (like my TZ), I also turn off 'free' message as much as possible where I can, and others are coin-only play, which is why I have a coin changer. Nothing like hearing the coin-up sound.

#9261 7 days ago

Just wondering if anyone has installed pinsound recently on their TZ.
I'm having some issues whereby all the orchestrations are at a very low level, and I cant,t change them in groups on pinsound studio pro?

#9262 6 days ago
Quoted from AD72:

I moved and the only good space for my TZ is by the window. Does anyone know of a cover I could get?

For the window? I would just paint it black

#9263 6 days ago
Quoted from Jakusu:

Just wondering if anyone has installed pinsound recently on their TZ.
I'm having some issues whereby all the orchestrations are at a very low level, and I cant,t change them in groups on pinsound studio pro?

Can you clarify what you mean by the “orchestrations”? Do you mean the music tracks, or the entire sound package (including Sfx, callouts, etc) ?

#9264 6 days ago

The whole orchestrations are low on 3 now I have downloaded.
Looked at a file in AUdacity and they are way way low.

Was hoping to to adjust them with a group gain in pspro software but it doesnt take it ( dials on left)

#9265 5 days ago

Hi, about to join the club. Need a little help, any info or links to this part (circled in picture), which i believe is just one of the posts holding up the mini playfield? Thanks!

1BD55BF2-E1E8-43E7-B785-EEE2E2246FDD (resized).jpeg
#9266 4 days ago

Just joined the club today. Picked mine up in pretty good shape, got a steal of a deal on it either way. Having an issue with the lower left hand flipper, when I play a game it doesn't flip when the button is pressed. The upper flipper flips tho and the right hand side both flippers are working together. When I go into the test settings all the flippers test fine for the flip, and only the upper 2 test fine for the hold. The lower flippers wont hold and when playing a game the lower left doesn't work. Any ideas what the issue could be?

#9267 4 days ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Just joined the club today. Picked mine up in pretty good shape, got a steal of a deal on it either way. Having an issue with the lower left hand flipper, when I play a game it doesn't flip when the button is pressed. The upper flipper flips tho and the right hand side both flippers are working together. When I go into the test settings all the flippers test fine for the flip, and only the upper 2 test fine for the hold. The lower flippers wont hold and when playing a game the lower left doesn't work. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Sounds like it could be your flipper opto. You could try cleaning with a cotton swab and alcohol first. Sometimes that will get it working but might not completely. In this case it will need replaced. Also try re-seating your plug to the left opto, it could have come loose.

#9268 4 days ago

looking to join the club this weekend.

anything I should look out for when I go to look at it?

Flipper Fidelity a must for TZ?

thanks

#9269 4 days ago
Quoted from hbagz:

looking to join the club this weekend.
anything I should look out for when I go to look at it?
Flipper Fidelity a must for TZ?
thanks

I’d get a PinWoofer. Pairs with PinSound if you ever go that route (so does Flipper Fidelity, I just mean you’re not painting yourself into a corner)

Bass is MASSIVE with that little amp. You don’t need to upgrade the woofer itself if you don’t want to. Just get the amp. Add the larger speaker if you want the whole package.

#9270 4 days ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

In switch test mode, when you press the flipper button and hold it in you should see 4 switches activated (if you stage the flipper it's 2 then 2). You'll see the lower flipper followed almost immediately by it's EOS switch, then the upper flipper and it's EOS switch. You'll see the 4 switches activate on the displayed matrix picture for each flipper button. Let us know what you see

#9271 3 days ago

Hey thanks for the input guys. I took the left side optic off and cleaned it and now it’s working. Pumped to plays some games on the machine now. One more question, I have this single connector underneath the play field that’s not connected to anything and I can’t find anywhere for it to go. Any idea what it’s for?

image (resized).jpg
#9272 3 days ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Hey thanks for the input guys. I took the left side optic off and cleaned it and now it’s working. Pumped to plays some games on the machine now. One more question, I have this single connector underneath the play field that’s not connected to anything and I can’t find anywhere for it to go. Any idea what it’s for?
[quoted image]

I believe that is for the flashers that were installed in the prototypes under the door inserts. This was left out of the production machines, but the connection was left in the wiring harness. So on production games, it connects to nothing.

#9273 3 days ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

[quoted image]

Bit hard to tell what the coloured stripe is in the pic but yellow with coloured stripes are used for the lamps

If you go into lamp test mode, do you see any lamps out? Should be pretty easy to track down from there

TZ Lamp Matrix (resized).JPG
#9274 3 days ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I believe that is for the flashers that were installed in the prototypes under the door inserts. This was left out of the production machines, but the connection was left in the wiring harness. So on production games, it connects to nothing.

Arhh yep - that makes sense. Nice call

#9275 3 days ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Awesome. Thanks

Game is working great, tons of fun!

#9276 3 days ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Awesome. Thanks
Game is working great, tons of fun!

Glad you got it going! If it starts acting up again the opto is a fairly inexpensive part to replace

#9277 3 days ago

Good evening,

In preparation for my upcoming TZ, I'd like to upgrade the ROM to 9.4h. I have the programmer, however I would welcome the reference of the ROM chip to order, along with the ROM binary and it's reference.

With regards to ROM code, I found a ZIP file on VPForums, however it contains multiple files: tzu14_l2.bin, tzu15_l2.bin, tzu18_l2.bin and tz_94h.rom. I'm assuming that U14, U15 and U18 are other ROM chips, but not sure what they are needed for. And my understanding is that U6 should actually be the ROM code.

Could someone please confirm ?

Thanks and regards

#9278 3 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good evening,
In preparation for my upcoming TZ, I'd like to upgrade the ROM to 9.4h. I have the programmer, however I would welcome the reference of the ROM chip to order, along with the ROM binary and it's reference.
With regards to ROM code, I found a ZIP file on VPForums, however it contains multiple files: tzu14_l2.bin, tzu15_l2.bin, tzu18_l2.bin and tz_94h.rom. I'm assuming that U14, U15 and U18 are other ROM chips, but not sure what they are needed for. And my understanding is that U6 should actually be the ROM code.
Thanks and regards

If you just want to get someone to do it for you, low cost ($10 or so), here is a great source:
https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/twilight-zone-pinball-cpu-rom-9-4h-u6-bally-williams-eprom/

Its a deal as you probably can't get a blank chip (with shipping) that cheap!

#9279 3 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

The file size is 512KB so you need a 4M ROM to burn the code into.

#9280 2 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good evening,
Thanks and regards

U14, U15 & U18 are the sound ROMs on your audio board. Check if you have currently L-1 or L-2 (the game and sound versions are displayed when entering service mode with your diagnostic switches). Note the zip file contains the L-2 version if you don't already have them

#9281 2 days ago

TZ Restoration

04D66603-734D-4B43-9884-8572424A6215.jpeg06E4844E-B89B-47A4-A25E-C90D6677E936.jpeg0D661D53-C969-40BC-949D-F37F711BFCF1.jpeg232ECEFA-84E6-4771-B51C-7358C8350F2C.jpeg644D05D6-DC50-4298-B7C4-3420AE800104.jpeg682FAC31-512C-414E-8492-857508F1D58B.jpeg6B762DC7-2D8B-45C9-96AB-50459E89D7A5.jpeg77CFC7A6-D22A-4D5D-858D-AEDCEF366F5E.jpeg8D5FC0E3-BE7B-42F2-ACB7-54C21392FCD3.jpegC439F3C6-3EEF-4031-B85B-E1BB03EF5D4D.jpegD7D23576-2C37-42DA-AE0B-2B023E68DD04.jpegDEBACB8F-15B2-433A-BE08-1179A0E3AC00.jpegED3D9256-ED81-4734-B369-556FB2394B66.jpeg
#9282 2 days ago
Quoted from JHPSWE:

TZ Restoration [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Nice job! Are the legs,side rails and lockdown bar sandblast finished? I like the look

#9283 2 days ago

Hi, I am in need of this mini playfield opto bracket. Anyone have a spare, please PM if so. Thanks

70A5A91A-90B2-4410-AABA-05B87DF925FB (resized).jpeg
#9284 2 days ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Hi, I am in need of this mini playfield opto bracket. Anyone have a spare, please PM if so. Thanks[quoted image]

That bracket assembly is A-16326 and just the bracket itself is 01-11215 - I took a quick look online across the various pinball suppliers world wide but unfortunately no luck.

Might be worth placing a wanted ad in the Marketplace. Good luck

#9285 2 days ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Looks great! Nice job! Are the legs,side rails and lockdown bar sandblast finished? I like the look

Thanks
It’s powder coat. Silver

#9286 1 day ago
Quoted from Manny65:

That bracket assembly is A-16326 and just the bracket itself is 01-11215 - I took a quick look online across the various pinball suppliers world wide but unfortunately no luck.
Might be worth placing a wanted ad in the Marketplace. Good luck

Thank you sir, will do

#9287 1 day ago

Still working on a rebuild... (Working through multiple issues)
Getting only a portion of my LEDs to display on the back board. Thoughts on where to start?
I'd expect them to all light.

PXL_20201129_030215006 (resized).jpg
#9288 1 day ago

Hi, just joined the club. Having an issue getting the playfield set to the proper angle. May be more of a general pinball question, but it’s on this machine so starting here. Back feet levelers are all the way out (as high as possible) and front leg levelers are screwed all the way in, low as possible. Playfield is at 5.1 degrees. There is no more adjustment so now I’m wondering if the playfield was positioned wrong? Any suggestions on how to check, or just find longer rear legs?

I have an IJ to compare it to as another wide body WPC, so that may help figure it out?

Thanks!

#9289 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Hi, just joined the club. Having an issue getting the playfield set to the proper angle. May be more of a general pinball question, but it’s on this machine so starting here. Back feet levelers are all the way out (as high as possible) and front leg levelers are screwed all the way in, low as possible. Playfield is at 5.1 degrees. There is no more adjustment so now I’m wondering if the playfield was positioned wrong? Any suggestions on how to check, or just find longer rear legs?
I have an IJ to compare it to as another wide body WPC, so that may help figure it out?
Thanks!

The back legs set up in the correct bolt holes?

#9290 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Thanks!

Quoted from Boof-Ed:

The back legs set up in the correct bolt holes?

Just to elaborate on boof-ed comment - TZ has 3 bolt holes in the cabinet for the legs, believe you need to use the upper 2 holes in the front, and lower 2 in the back to get 6.5 degrees

#9291 1 day ago
SB54_TZ (resized).JPG
#9292 1 day ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

Still working on a rebuild... (Working through multiple issues)
Getting only a portion of my LEDs to display on the back board. Thoughts on where to start?
I'd expect them to all light.

Check to see if it is an entire string out. If it's not the entire string then look for a break in the daisy chained power. Use your multi-meter to see where power is dropped.

If it is the entire string https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems could be a connector, board trace, fuse...

Come back for more input after some investigation

#9293 1 day ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Just to elaborate on boof-ed comment - TZ has 3 bolt holes in the cabinet for the legs, believe you need to use the upper 2 holes in the front, and lower 2 in the back to get 6.5 degrees

I think this is it. I saw the extra mounting holes, but hadn’t seen a pin with 3 before. The previous owner had them up high (you could see the cabinet scarring) so that’s where I went. Also have new 2-hole brackets on the inside so will have to move those. Initial thought I’d to just move the rears to the lower holes, but maybe I’ll try all (front and rears on lower holes) to see what kind of pf angle I can get as it appears that’s the recommendation.

Thank you!

#9294 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I think this is it. I saw the extra mounting holes, but hadn’t seen a pin with 3 before. The previous owner had them up high (you could see the cabinet scarring) so that’s where I went. Also have new 2-hole brackets on the inside so will have to move those. Initial thought I’d to just move the rears to the lower holes, but maybe I’ll try all (front and rears on lower holes) to see what kind of pf angle I can get as it appears that’s the recommendation.
Thank you!

That was it! Had to flip the brackets, golden now.

DC4370E7-BB11-4DD1-B072-EFFAD84B45A8 (resized).jpeg
#9295 1 day ago

I bought this game on reputation alone, thinking worst case I won’t lose my butt on it if I turn around and sell, there has to be something to it, been top 5 for years and even top 10 in the world of a ton of cool new pins, and I also love WPC games, I’m very comfortable servicing them. I tried to connect with it several times on locations, but never could figure out or fall in love with it.

Already quite fun at home over the first 5-10 games, suspect I’m on the path to figuring out why it’s so great! Should probably start by learning the rules, I know there are great vids out. Love the Pat Lawler style flowy shots, ramps easy to hit (vs an Elwin game), very cool toys. Music has not impressed me even compared to IJ, TAF, or i500, I’ve got a pinsound on the way for IJ, but may audible and put in TZ if it makes a noticeable difference.

#9296 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I tried to connect with it several times on locations, but never could figure out or fall in love with it.

Well, did the same, never regretted. Make sure it’s working fine, understand the spiral and battle of power rules ( not only the window ones ) and you are there for a treat. If you like modding you are in heaven.

#9297 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I bought this game on reputation alone, thinking worst case I won’t lose my butt on it if I turn around and sell, there has to be something to it, been top 5 for years and even top 10 in the world of a ton of cool new pins, and I also love WPC games, I’m very comfortable servicing them. I tried to connect with it several times on locations, but never could figure out or fall in love with it.
Already quite fun at home over the first 5-10 games, suspect I’m on the path to figuring out why it’s so great! Should probably start by learning the rules, I know there are great vids out. Love the Pat Lawler style flowy shots, ramps easy to hit (vs an Elwin game), very cool toys. Music has not impressed me even compared to IJ, TAF, or i500, I’ve got a pinsound on the way for IJ, but may audible and put in TZ if it makes a noticeable difference.

Keep that pinsound for IJ over TZ. There are some decent orchestrations for TZ, but the IJ reorchestration by EndProdukt makes it a must have and a whole new experience.

#9298 1 day ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I bought this game on reputation alone...

Same ... 11 years ago. Still playing it, and learning/adapting my play style. Game never gets old. The guy I brought it from regretted badly that he let it go, and ended up having to search forever to get one back.

And for a little nostalgic fun ... I paid less than 3k.

#9299 1 day ago
Quoted from etien:

Well, did the same, never regretted. Make sure it’s working fine, understand the spiral and battle of power rules ( not only the window ones ) and you are there for a treat. If you like modding you are in heaven.

I try to get the spiral anytime it’s lit. It’s one of the sure fire ways to get battle the power, and eventually, an extra ball.

Dead end, I don’t go for that often even though in theory it’s a quicker way to an extra ball. Miss the shot and pay dearly.

I bought my TZ in the late 90s. Hard to believe I’ve owned it that long. It’s still the best game I own, or have ever owned. I love STTNG, but it’s no TZ. Even WOZ didn’t compare IMHO. I’ve only owned one Stern, a WOF, and while it was a damn fun game...again, it wasn’t the same caliber as TZ.

I got hooked on TZ at a local bowling alley. My friends and I played it so much that eventually it started having issues consistent with a routed, neglected machine. Eventually they replaced it with a Baywatch and we never went back to the place again...

#9300 23 hours ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

That was it! Had to flip the brackets, golden now.
[quoted image]

So you have both the front and back on the lower holes - right? In thinking about it, it makes sense - the top holes (front & back) lower the overall machine for kids but keeps the angle the same. If you do one pair on the top and the other on the lower it'll give you either too little angle (as was your case) or too much angle.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 9322 posts in this topic. You are on page 186 of 187.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside