New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 63352)

Twilight Zone Owner's club

By Caucasian2Step

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,105 posts
  • 664 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Green-Machine
  • Topic is favorited by 355 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,309 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201006_170348 (resized).jpg
20201006_170342 (resized).jpg
20201006_170332 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201012_194411 (resized).jpg
D897F3BF-CC9E-4CCC-A4BA-62633E8766A0 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200929-090654__01__01 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200929_090620__01__01__01 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200929-090553__01__01 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_20200926_184520 (resized).jpg
20200924_144155 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 9105 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 183.
#8801 3 months ago

Hello TZ owners. Want your input, I will be soon starting a complete restoration of a TZ machine. This machine will need a new playfield replacement and want to know where you would reccomend to purchase one from. I see searching that Microplayfields sells them, but are concerned of their reputation and quality. Some Pinsiders state to purchase from a distributor that will stand behind what they sell as Microplayfields are not. That is hopefully like Planetary Pinball as they also show it available.
Let me know your thoughts.
Mike

#8802 3 months ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Hello TZ owners. Want your input, I will be soon starting a complete restoration of a TZ machine. This machine will need a new playfield replacement and want to know where you would reccomend to purchase one from. I see searching that Microplayfields sells them, but are concerned of their reputation and quality. Some Pinsiders state to purchase from a distributor that will stand behind what they sell as Microplayfields are not. That is hopefully like Planetary Pinball as they also show it available.
Mike

No matter WHERE you get the playfield from, it will be a Mirco. Mirco is the only one reproducing them. If you go for a reseller (PPS, for example), you have a better chance in getting your money back if you are unhappy with it.

#8803 3 months ago

Thanks Coyote. Don't have one I can buy from you like I did with TAF?

#8804 3 months ago

Thanks Coyote. Don't have one I can buy from you like I did with TAF?

Sadly, I do not, sorry. (I technically DO have one, but it's the prototype field, and it's not going anywhere.)

#8805 3 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Sadly, I do not, sorry. (I technically DO have one, but it's the prototype field, and it's not going anywhere.)

Wait. You have a SECOND prototype playfield?

#8806 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wait. You have a SECOND prototype playfield?

Oh, nono. Just the one. Which is why I don't want to sell it.

#8807 3 months ago

I finally got a Twilight Zone sample machine after years of waiting! I have been looking through the posts and so far have not found what I am looking for. I have the 3rd magnet and it looks like I have the wiring for the 3rd magnet and the clock passage but no optos. I have the 7 opto boards.

Is there a thread on wiring the optos on a sample game?

Thanks!

#8808 3 months ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I finally got a Twilight Zone sample machine after years of waiting! I have been looking through the posts and so far have not found what I am looking for. I have the 3rd magnet and it looks like I have the wiring for the 3rd magnet and the clock passage but no optos. I have the 7 opto boards.
Thanks!

I followed the instructions from pinbits, but had to do a lot of figuring things out still - this is for instructions for adding it to a non-sample game, but you can figure most of it out:

http://iobium.com/third_magnet_project.htm

http://iobium.com/kit_contents.htm

#8809 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I followed the instructions from pinbits, but had to do a lot of figuring things out still - this is for instructions for adding it to a non-sample game, but you can figure most of it out:
http://iobium.com/third_magnet_project.htm
http://iobium.com/kit_contents.htm

Thanks. That's a start. I was hoping there was a post that would help me figure out if the wires are already there or what the factory wiring looks like on a sample machine. I haven't done a lot of restores or repairs on machines with optos. This is new to me.

#8810 3 months ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

Thanks!

Quoted from BadBrad97:

Thanks. That's a start. I was hoping there was a post that would help me figure out if the wires are already there or what the factory wiring looks like on a sample machine. I haven't done a lot of restores or repairs on machines with optos. This is new to me.

Wiring should already be there. You should find 2-pin MOLEX plugs for the opto sender and recievers, and a 3-pin for the 3rd Magnet. Off-hand, I do not remember, but you may need to add pins to add the 2nd Bigkick Opto, though.

#8811 3 months ago

Check out these fun new phone cases with Lava that moves based off of your phone's motions. They glow in the dark as well!

bluegreencase2 (resized).jpgtwoorange (resized).jpgtwoblue (resized).jpg
#8812 3 months ago

Need some quick help. For some reason I disconnected this molex connector from the power driver board. I can't seem to figure out where it goes and don't want to guess. I think it looks like it would go into J122, BUT the board connector seems to be one pin bigger, so that makes me think that isn't right.

Anyway, here are the pix. Any info would be appreciated...

IMG_5010 (resized).jpegIMG_5011 (resized).jpeg
#8813 3 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Need some quick help. For some reason I disconnected this molex connector from the power driver board. I can't seem to figure out where it goes and don't want to guess. I think it looks like it would go into J122, BUT the board connector seems to be one pin bigger, so that makes me think that isn't right.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Do you have a color DMD in your game? That looks like the high voltage cable needed for the OEM display. Not needed if you now have a color DMD.

#8814 3 months ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like J604 on DMD driver board.

Screenshot_20200709-233936_Drive (resized).jpg
#8815 3 months ago

Mike

I just received 4 playfields from mirco direct and very happy with them. Two were Twilight zones.

Ive yet to see a cpr gold that I have been happy with and had to have reworked.

It really comes down to the luck of the draw I have found.

#8816 3 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Do you have a color DMD in your game? That looks like the high voltage cable needed for the OEM display. Not needed if you now have a color DMD.

Yup, that was it. I am in the middle of a PF swap and added a Color DMD and completely blanked about that

Thanks!

#8817 3 months ago

Yup, that was it. I am in the middle of a PF swap and added a Color DMD and completely blanked about that
Thanks!

I freaked out about the same thing once. Now I put a piece of masking tape labeled "colordmd" over the connector everytime I install one. You're supposed to remove that wire altogether, but I know I'd lose it and may switch out the colordmd one day if the game sells.

#8818 3 months ago

okay, put the playfield in. Good news is some of the stuff is working but get the following error. Replaced fuses 115 and 116, but same results. Optos as well as a lot of switches are not working so far. Do like the lighted speaker panel!

Any advice would be appreciated.....I am sure with changing everything out, I broke something.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.03.48 AM (resized).png
#8819 3 months ago

Replaced fuses 115 and 116, but same results.

I don't have experience with that specific error, but easy first questions:

Were the old fuses blown? Did the new fuses blow after testing? (hopefully you have a digital multimeter, or it should be on the short list of things to get first)

On the power driver board you should have 6 LEDs ON solid, plus LED3 flickering. Is that what you have?

#8820 3 months ago

Replaced fuses, same result. Old fuses looked fine too.

Here is a vid. Looks like I have the six solid and flashing LED3.

#8821 3 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I don't have experience with that specific error, but easy first questions:
Were the old fuses blown? Did the new fuses blow after testing? (hopefully you have a digital multimeter, or it should be on the short list of things to get first)
On the power driver board you should have 6 LEDs ON solid, plus LED3 flickering. Is that what you have?

Replaced fuses, same result. Old fuses looked fine too.

Here is a vid. Looks like I have the six solid and flashing LED3.

#8822 3 months ago

Did you look over the opto board under the playfield? Make sure all the connectors are snug.

#8823 3 months ago

okay, put the playfield in. Good news is some of the stuff is working but get the following error. Replaced fuses 115 and 116, but same results. Optos as well as a lot of switches are not working so far. Do like the lighted speaker panel!
Any advice would be appreciated.....I am sure with changing everything out, I broke something.[quoted image]

Check out this thread(s) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-f115-f116-j112-and-12v-opto-supply-

Could be something not wired right in your switch matrix during the swap

Try unplugging the newly added 3rd magnet optos in case that introduced the issue

Edit- make absolutely sure the plugs for the mini play field are connected correctly. I recall they can be switched and bad things will happen.

#8824 3 months ago

okay the issue was I had too many mods tapped into my power.

I had the ColorDMD as well as the Lighted Backboard mod. When I took out the Lighted backboard mod, everything fired up.

The other really good news is my 3rd magnet opto is working!......along with the others as well. So that is a relief.

I think I am going to buy one of those dedicated power boards for mods and put stuff on there to take pressure off of the Power Driver Board.

Thanks for the help! (again)

#8825 3 months ago
Quoted from Jakusu:

Two were Twilight zones.

Is the text on your Door artwork complete?

#8826 3 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is the text on your Door artwork complete?

Jakusu
Look for "Piano awards lit value" above Gum and Ball inserts.

#8827 3 months ago

Over the years, I’ve seen every once in a while reference to a playfield backboard that is fitted with fiber optics to create a star field. Does anyone have knowledge of solutions or something that’s available? Thanks

#8828 3 months ago
Quoted from ioSFX:

Over the years, I’ve seen every once in a while reference to a playfield backboard that is fitted with fiber optics to create a star field. Does anyone have knowledge of solutions or something that’s available? Thanks

I have one of those. It's not fiber optics though; it's EL-Wire shining into holes punched in a piece of black metal glued on top of the routed-out backboard. That looked GREAT when I first got it. A few years on, you can't even see the light, because the wire has dimmed too much. It is a royal pain to replace, so I am considering just getting a backboard sticker.

#8829 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have one of those. It's not fiber optics though; it's EL-Wire shining into holes punched in a piece of black metal glued on top of the routed-out backboard. That looked GREAT when I first got it. A few years on, you can't even see the light, because the wire has dimmed too much. It is a royal pain to replace, so I am considering just getting a backboard sticker.

EL wire has a very short shelf life. Making mods with it is usually a bad idea. Hopefully it didn't run you too much.

#8830 3 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

EL wire has a very short shelf life. Making mods with it is usually a bad idea. Hopefully it didn't run you too much.

Came with the game fortunately - I didn't know what the heck it was for years. The fiber optic idea is quite interesting though...

#8831 3 months ago

Given today’s availability of white and blue LEDs, I’m thinking there’s a more modern solution with a striking result ( that’s reliable too). But curious if something else already exists. Thanks

#8832 3 months ago

Hello, just wanted to share the latest piece of art of teletub proudly installed on my TZ in my gamer room near Paris.

23211A5B-F37F-4012-9B19-CF019411B1D8 (resized).jpeg7F1458C5-59D1-4A47-8101-99562704CED8 (resized).jpeg
#8833 3 months ago

Hi all. In the middle of my PF swap on my TZ. At the same time I was adding a bunch of mods. The list is long, but the significant ones were as follows:
1) LED's including a new LCDOCD board
2) Dedicated power supply for mods
3) 3rd Magnet
4) ColorDMD
5) LED Lighted Speaker Panel (and speakers)...........by the way, I made a custom bracket for this in case you have Pinball Pro speakers (PM me if you ever go down this road and I will send you the STL file. My kid is a mechanical engineer and made a nice bracket that worked with the existing hardware). For what it is worth, this mod is so freak'n cool. Really looks neat.
6) LED Acrylic topper

The reason I am saying all of this is I have some issues that I could use some help with and any theories of where I went off the rails. Harold from LCDOCD is also throwing some ideas my way. I have two issues that appear to not be related. The first is the orange string on the backboard is not lighting up. When I take a volt meter to the pair, I get nothing. Changed the fuse, still nothing. The second problem is more confusing. I am getting some LED's that are flickering and others that stay on all of the time. I thought the first thing I should do is back out the LCDOCD board so I am not chasing a shadow. Here is my problem, I forgot to take pix of the power board so I don't remember where the molex connectors go. Any chance someone could take a detailed pic of the lower right section of their power board (or might have one in your folders)?

Here are a couple Youtube vids of the situations...

Thanks in advance for any advice/pix you guys might have!

Dave

#8834 3 months ago

FIRST - UNPLUG ALL MODS. Because if your issue turns out to be mod related, you wasted a WHOLE bunch of time of anyone that tried to help you. (It's like changing out the tail lights to LEDs, and then taking the car into the mechanic because the lights won't turn on because of a fault.)

The first is the orange string on the backboard is not lighting up. When I take a volt meter to the pair, I get nothing. Changed the fuse, still nothing.

Do you have voltage on the INCOMING feed? If yes, then you lost your triac. If you do NOT, then the issue is likely down by the transformer, or a cut wire somewhere.

Here is my problem, I forgot to take pix of the power board so I don't remember where the molex connectors go. Any chance someone could take a detailed pic of the lower right section of their power board (or might have one in your folders)?

The manual is your friend.
Page 3-32 lists all the PDB connectors, and the wire colors leading to them. Look up the wire colors, and find where they're supposed to go. Of course, see above re: Mods. You have something non-standard plugged in, wire colors may vary, which then, you're on your own. (I believe that the fantastic LED OCD guy kept the same base colors. More'n I can say about other mods I've seen.)

#8835 3 months ago

The first is the orange string on the backboard is not lighting up. When I take a volt meter to the pair, I get nothing. Changed the fuse, still nothing.

What coyote said, plus GI String 2 (Orange) is connector J120 pin 2 and J120 pin 8 (triac Q10, fuse F109). Determine if there is approx 6.3 volts AC at these pins (or same pins on J121 connector). If not you'll need to work backward from there (originates at J115, pins 4 and 7).

#8836 3 months ago

Hi all. In the middle of my PF swap on my TZ. At the same time I was adding a bunch of mods. The list is long, but the significant ones were as follows:
1) LED's including a new LCDOCD board
2) Dedicated power supply for mods
3) 3rd Magnet
4) ColorDMD
5) LED Lighted Speaker Panel (and speakers)...........by the way, I made a custom bracket for this in case you have Pinball Pro speakers (PM me if you ever go down this road and I will send you the STL file. My kid is a mechanical engineer and made a nice bracket that worked with the existing hardware). For what it is worth, this mod is so freak'n cool. Really looks neat.
6) LED Acrylic topper
The reason I am saying all of this is I have some issues that I could use some help with and any theories of where I went off the rails. Harold from LCDOCD is also throwing some ideas my way. I have two issues that appear to not be related. The first is the orange string on the backboard is not lighting up. When I take a volt meter to the pair, I get nothing. Changed the fuse, still nothing. The second problem is more confusing. I am getting some LED's that are flickering and others that stay on all of the time. I thought the first thing I should do is back out the LCDOCD board so I am not chasing a shadow. Here is my problem, I forgot to take pix of the power board so I don't remember where the molex connectors go. Any chance someone could take a detailed pic of the lower right section of their power board (or might have one in your folders)?
Here are a couple Youtube vids of the situations...

Thanks in advance for any advice/pix you guys might have!
Dave

Most likely a board/transistor issue with the lights. I had similar pre-existing issue on my TZ when I installed LED-OCD board that I didn't realize until after installation. Do column/row and individual light tests. Mine had other lights coming on when shouldn't and out when should be on.

I'm not at my machine, but if you have the instructions for the LED-OCD it should show where original connections went or verify in manual.

BTW... I also recommend the GI-OCD board for TZ! There is a fair amount of dimming that you will otherwise miss out on.

#8837 3 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

FIRST - UNPLUG ALL MODS. Because if your issue turns out to be mod related, you wasted a WHOLE bunch of time of anyone that tried to help you. (It's like changing out the tail lights to LEDs, and then taking the car into the mechanic because the lights won't turn on because of a fault.)

Do you have voltage on the INCOMING feed? If yes, then you lost your triac. If you do NOT, then the issue is likely down by the transformer, or a cut wire somewhere.

The manual is your friend.
Page 3-32 lists all the PDB connectors, and the wire colors leading to them. Look up the wire colors, and find where they're supposed to go. Of course, see above re: Mods. You have something non-standard plugged in, wire colors may vary, which then, you're on your own. (I believe that the fantastic LED OCD guy kept the same base colors. More'n I can say about other mods I've seen.)

First thank you for your advice and yes, I am green.

Mods unplugged. LCDOCD board taken off line (for now). Using the 3-32 page, was able to restore wiring....yes, I should have thought of that before asking!

Here is a pic of the lamps that are out now. It is clearly Column 2 and Row 2 that are out. Does that mean Q97 and Q89 need to be replaced? This is where I get really green. I can do board work, but really am not versed on diagnosing the problem. Never have had to deal with row/column lamp issues on my pins before either.

The hang nail out there is the Right jet bumper, but that must be a bad bulb or something.

IMG_5093 (resized).jpeg
#8838 3 months ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Most likely a board/transistor issue with the lights. I had similar pre-existing issue on my TZ when I installed LED-OCD board that I didn't realize until after installation. Do column/row and individual light tests. Mine had other lights coming on when shouldn't and out when should be on.
I'm not at my machine, but if you have the instructions for the LED-OCD it should show where original connections went or verify in manual.
BTW... I also recommend the GI-OCD board for TZ! There is a fair amount of dimming that you will otherwise miss out on.

See my previous post. Looks like row2/column2. Guessing there is some board work coming my way.

I will take your advice on the GI-OCD board. I have a feeling I am going to want to control this at a more granular level.

#8839 3 months ago
Quoted from emsrph:

What coyote said, plus GI String 2 (Orange) is connector J120 pin 2 and J120 pin 8 (triac Q10, fuse F109). Determine if there is approx 6.3 volts AC at these pins (or same pins on J121 connector). If not you'll need to work backward from there (originates at J115, pins 4 and 7).

Okay, I was with you on J121 pins 2 & 8 for testing. Nope, no power there. You lost me though on J115. How does that relate to J121 then? and how did you know this? Anyway, I did trace back to 115 pins 4 & 7. No power reading there.

I did check another pair to make sure I was reading correctly. Yellow/White-Yellow was reading 7.8V. The best I can tell, just that Orange/White-Orange pair is the only GI out atm.

#8840 3 months ago

Okay, I was with you on J121 pins 2 & 8 for testing. Nope, no power there. You lost me though on J115. How does that relate to J121 then? and how did you know this? Anyway, I did trace back to 115 pins 4 & 7. No power reading there.
I did check another pair to make sure I was reading correctly. Yellow/White-Yellow was reading 7.8V. The best I can tell, just that Orange/White-Orange pair is the only GI out atm.

Everyone starts out green. Check the Pinwiki for some background info and testing procedures https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

Someone else can take the controlled lamp situation and/or correct or expand on the GI info tracking below:

The GI power from the transformer comes into the board at J115. There are only 2 legs to this AC power. Since you do have power at a different set of GI then you need to track back to see what's wrong with that specific incoming power pair. Use this circuit diagram to check which leg of your pair has a broken connection. Use combination of legs to see which one of yours 4 or 7 is dead (make sure you are checking different legs pins 2 thru 6 and pins 7 thru 12- see picture). For example check 4 and 8 pair and then 3 and 7. Then see if the dead leg is not in the J115 connector properly or if it is bad further back.
635px-WPC089_power_summary (resized).png

edit= here's a picture of the 9-pin connector between the transformer secondary and J115, for tracking backwards

1013px-WPCGICabinetConnection (resized).jpg
#8841 3 months ago

First thank you for your advice and yes, I am green.

No worries! Didn't mean to sound like an ass. There had been several posts recently where people have posted issues, and other folks (including myself) has tried to walk them through issues, and they never mentioned they had mod(s) installed and never disconnected them, to find out they were causing the issue.

@ermsrph has it for the GI, yup. Power has to come in, and then is dimmed/switched by the triac, then sent out. Triac could be back - but it could also be burnt or damaged pins somewhere along the line.

FOr the lamp row/column, yeah - it COULD be those transistors, it could also be a cut or loose wire. I would check continuity from the plug in the backbox to a few of the lamps that are out. (i.e. make sure you don't have a broken wire! Check continuity from Rd/Bk on J133 to the clock millions lamp. If you get continuity, then that means wiring is good and it's on your board. (Or, potnetially, a bad IDC connector, depending on what point you use for testing.)

#8842 3 months ago

See my previous post. Looks like row2/column2. Guessing there is some board work coming my way.
I will take your advice on the GI-OCD board. I have a feeling I am going to want to control this at a more granular level.

Like Coyote said - check for continuity and you can also make a set of jumper wires to temporarily go between board and wiring harness connector to jump bad column/row to known working column/row to make sure it's not a wiring/connection issue. If lights still don't work, most likely a board/transistor issue.

#8843 3 months ago

Hey folks, woke up this morning to a non-working left magnet on the miniPF. Fuse F101 is blowing. I know despite what the manual says that this fuse is for the left miniplayfield magnet. Before I got through the process of removing the miniplayfield, does anyone know what else it protects? I'll test those as well to try and pinpoint.

#8844 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hey folks, woke up this morning to a non-working left magnet on the miniPF. Fuse F101 is blowing. I know despite what the manual says that this fuse is for the left magnet. Before I got through the process of removing the miniplayfield, does anyone know what else it protects? I'll test those as well to try and pinpoint.

Love the devotion to pinball. This guy wakes up, and goes to play his TZ before making his coffee or even taking a shower. What dedication!

We need to help him out! A non-working TZ is critical in a lot of households.

#8845 3 months ago

Love the devotion to pinball. This guy wakes up, and goes to play his TZ before making his coffee or even taking a shower. What dedication!
We need to help him out! A non-working TZ is critical in a lot of households.

LOL that is actually exactly what happened. Still haven't taken a shower! Although that's because of unexpected work drama today. That's just noise though.
This is a SERIOUS MATTER!

#8846 86 days ago

Can these go in a walnut tumbler to clean? Wondering about the plastic/nylon.

15956383952172778663884686578469 (resized).jpg
#8847 86 days ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

Can these go in a walnut tumbler to clean? Wondering about the plastic/nylon.
[quoted image]

Yes sure

#8848 86 days ago

TZ still down, hoping to check it out today.

F101 appears to deal with the left mini playfield magnet, and the 3 spiral magnets. It keeps blowing when I replace the fuse (and I’m now out of 3A fuses), so now I need to check for shorts

#8849 85 days ago

Hi All
Getting prepared for my TZ install.
Can anyone share a full led kit list with me at all so I know I have enough leds on hand?
Much appreciated if anyone can help.

#8850 85 days ago

Does anyone have access to a parts catalog for TZ? I am missing a bunch of stand-offs for and hardware for some of my plastics, and I am trying to identify what I need to order.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 88.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 9105 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 183.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside