twilight-zone-escape-clause-youre-the-devil-1_resize.gif
IMG_5096 (resized).jpeg
20240227_093351 (resized).jpg
Eddy board (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 8.44.39 AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 5.00.06 PM (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,091 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 302.
#8651 3 years ago

I've been waiting two months for my clock board. Apparently, they aren't shipping to the US yet.

So, I put the home rom in a while ago and all is good. I noticed tonight that even though restart game is set to slow, it restarts instantly when you push the start button mid ball. I never use the feature, but my son tried to add me in as a second player, not knowing he was already on ball two, and it restarted his game. I even tried changing the setting to instant to see if it was reversed, but nope. I kinda like the idea of having to hold the button down so it can't happen accidentally.

#8652 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I've been waiting two months for my clock board. Apparently, they aren't shipping to the US yet.
So, I put the home rom in a while ago and all is good. I noticed tonight that even though restart game is set to slow, it restarts instantly when you push the start button mid ball. I never use the feature, but my son tried to add me in as a second player, not knowing he was already on ball two, and it restarted his game. I even tried changing the setting to instant to see if it was reversed, but nope. I kinda like the idea of having to hold the button down so it can't happen accidentally.

I can't recreate this on my game. You are running 9.4H and not a BH or CH, yes? If you're on straight-up 9.4H, check the adjustment again, and then do a factory reset. Somehow there's some bad mojo in your RAM..

#8653 3 years ago

Yep, 9.4H. not sure if I want to factory reset. My kid just knocked off my high score and would think I'm cheating to get his off the board
Yes, if I start a game and get to ball 2, a quick hit of the start button restarts the game. I changed the setting from slow to instant and back and both settings act this way. Unless I'm losing my mind, you should have to hold the button in for a few seconds to interrupt the current game and restart.

#8654 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

does anyone know who makes a custom lockdown bar that's engraved (robot and sprial as I recall)? I saw one posted on facebook the other day and can't find it now and was curious who made them and if available.

Sorry, never saw this. It’s me who does the custom engraving of the lockbars.

2AA888A8-B93F-4349-8A53-EF0140BBC8B0 (resized).jpeg2AA888A8-B93F-4349-8A53-EF0140BBC8B0 (resized).jpegDBFE3A11-7933-4C8C-90C1-6054942E881A (resized).jpegDBFE3A11-7933-4C8C-90C1-6054942E881A (resized).jpeg
#8655 3 years ago
Quoted from teletub:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Crimony!

Had a mediocre couple of games this evening. Still the master badass game ever.

#8656 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Crimony!
Had a mediocre couple of games this evening. Still the master badass game ever.

“Ever” indeed ... I’m gonna wake this game up tonight , disturbing all who sleep

#8657 3 years ago
Quoted from teletub:

[quoted image][quoted image]

This looks great. Do you have any TZ on sales? Étienne

#8658 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Received this Pendretti Invader topper today, looks amazing when powered up. Will fit soon.[quoted image]

Hi! Where did you find this topper? Is it well made? Have it some lights?
Thanks Lostcause

#8659 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Unless I'm losing my mind, you should have to hold the button in for a few seconds to interrupt the current game and restart.

Yup, that is how it should be on 'slow'. Hold it for 2 seconds to restart game. I'll post a video later today showing how it should work, on 9.4H.

If you upgraded to 9.4H, your game SHLULD HAVE automagically reset to factory defaults as well. If it did n9t, that may be part of the issue.

Are you on NVRAM, perchance?

#8660 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yup, that is how it should be on 'slow'. Hold it for 2 seconds to restart game. I'll post a video later today showing how it should work, on 9.4H.
If you upgraded to 9.4H, your game SHLULD HAVE automagically reset to factory defaults as well. If it did n9t, that may be part of the issue.
Are you on NVRAM, perchance?

No nvram here. No need for a video, I'm familiar with how it works on other games. I was just thinking maybe it was a glitch with the home rom. Mine is definitely on "slow" and it happens as soon as you push the start button.

#8661 3 years ago
Quoted from legendpin:

Hi! Where did you find this topper? Is it well made? Have it some lights?
Thanks lostcause

It’s made by Pedretti in Italy, I had one of the first. TZ Invader topper. Sold in Europe. €200.
It’s really nice and lighting is good but the antenna that turns is noisy. There is a switch on the back so you can turn the motor off and just have the lighting effects. I have turned the motor off, which is a shame. My first one went back because of the motor noise, the replacement is also noisy but they put a switch on the back. Is what it is. I still like it.

CE523EF8-2D71-4AE8-AA53-A8297E12C74D (resized).jpegCE523EF8-2D71-4AE8-AA53-A8297E12C74D (resized).jpeg
#8662 3 years ago

I like it. How noisy is the motor, any good comparison? Do you hear it clearly standing in front of the pin in attract mode (not playing)?

#8663 3 years ago

I am redecaling my twilight zone. Since I only have one game I made a dumb decision because I wanted to play pinball. I set up my game on a pool table with no cabinet. It works for 5 games then since my harness were close to gather and not screwed down my start button and interface board I believe is what leads touched to blow my f116 fuse and short my column 1 on my switch matrix. At first the game acted mostly dead then I realized that I blew fuse f116. I had a spare fuse of the proper value so I replaced it then found out I had the switch matrix column 1 issue. I have not ordered anything yet for this from Great Plains for this project but what do I need to get other then a u20 ic and socket will that fix the short or do i need to also do/ buy anything else? Has any fixed this problem before?
I learned my lesson that I have to play the game in the cabinet and just wait when I do a restore.
Thank you so much Parker

#8664 3 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I like it. How noisy is the motor, any good comparison? Do you hear it clearly standing in front of the pin in attract mode (not playing)?

Very clearly!

#8665 3 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

I am redecaling my twilight zone. Since I only have one game I made a dumb decision because I wanted to play pinball. I set up my game on a pool table with no cabinet. It works for 5 games then since my harness were close to gather and not screwed down my start button and interface board I believe is what leads touched to blow my f116 fuse and short my column 1 on my switch matrix. At first the game acted mostly dead then I realized that I blew fuse f116. I had a spare fuse of the proper value so I replaced it then found out I had the switch matrix column 1 issue. I have not ordered anything yet for this from Great Plains for this project but what do I need to get other then a u20 ic and socket will that fix the short or do i need to also do/ buy anything else? Has any fixed this problem before?
I learned my lesson that I have to play the game in the cabinet and just wait when I do a restore.
Thank you so much Parker

#8666 3 years ago

Does anyone else hate how this looks like it says -

T5 BIG POINTS BIG POINTS BIG?

20200522_102421 (resized).jpg20200522_102421 (resized).jpg
#8667 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

It’s made by Pedretti in Italy, I had one of the first. TZ Invader topper. Sold in Europe. €200.
It’s really nice and lighting is good but the antenna that turns is noisy. There is a switch on the back so you can turn the motor off and just have the lighting effects. I have turned the motor off, which is a shame. My first one went back because of the motor noise, the replacement is also noisy but they put a switch on the back. Is what it is. I still like it. [quoted image]

Ouch! Only in EU? That's a shame
Looks really great and well integrated!

#8668 3 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

[quoted image]

It took us awhile to see that it's a wraparound thing, and yes, it still bugs me!

#8669 3 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

[quoted image]

Get the 10,000,000 points from the yellow skill shot and you don't have to see the door award...

#8670 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It took us awhile to see that it's a wraparound thing, and yes, it still bugs me!

It took me half a year to finally understand this! Just today I took a picture to post here and ask. I stared at it for about half a minute and it finally made sense.

#8671 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Get the 10,000,000 points from the yellow skill shot and you don't have to see the door award...

This is awesome! I did not know you were awarded that for the skill shot. Thank you very much still learning weird things about this game.

#8672 3 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

... still learning weird things about this game.

You have now entered the Twilight Zone

#8673 3 years ago

I’ve had my TZ for over 5 years and just cleaned it up and got everything 100%. I’ve never had an issue with my clock since I’ve owned it and all of a sudden my clock won’t reset to 12 and shows an error. On top of that the game is telling me it can’t locate the balls and they are all in there. Is this what happens when the clock stops working or are these separate issues? I have until now resisted getting one of ingo’s clock boards but now I guess it’s going to happen.

#8674 3 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I’ve had my TZ for over 5 years and just cleaned it up and got everything 100%. I’ve never had an issue with my clock since I’ve owned it and all of a sudden my clock won’t reset to 12 and shows an error. On top of that the game is telling me it can’t locate the balls and they are all in there. Is this what happens when the clock stops working or are these separate issues? I have until now resisted getting one of ingo’s clock boards but now I guess it’s going to happen.

Clock not working will not affect operation of the rest of the game. (With caveats.) Likely you accidentally unplugged something, so switches aren't registering. Go into switch-test mode, and see what the game is seeing as far as switches..

#8675 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Clock not working will not affect operation of the rest of the game. (With caveats.) Likely you accidentally unplugged something, so switches aren't registering. Go into switch-test mode, and see what the game is seeing as far as switches..

What he said. I recently had similar problems where all of a sudden, my clock wasn't working correctly and I was also getting ball errors. After doing some checking I discovered that a wire had broken off of the lug on the clock target, which in turn took out the whole line on the matrix, which included the left outlane and a couple of 5 mil targets. Once I soldered it back on, everything was good again. Sounds to me like you might have the same issue.

#8676 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

No way! I always thought it was Town Square Big Points!!

#8677 3 years ago
Quoted from Alby87:

No way! I always thought it was Town Square Big Points!!

Maybe if we ever get a new rom we can add this to the requests list.

#8678 3 years ago
Quoted from Scotty_K:

The "insert" that is being referred to would be the GI lighting in the back box behind the back glass, namely the bulbs specifically behind "Twilight Zone" at the top center, and the two bulbs behind the clock at the lower right. If these are lit and your clock is not, then I would guess that you have a connection problem.

I am having the opposite issue, clock lit but the insert dead. Connection/wiring the place to start? Thanks.

#8679 3 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Please make us a photo of the wiring of these bulb sockets from inside the backbox.
Also make photos of J120/J121 !!!!!
You can also try the following:
Put Connector J120 into J121 - what happens?
Put connector J121 into J120 - what happens?

Hello,

I have the opposite problem. The insert bank on my tz is doa but the clock is working. As you suggested I swapped j120/j121 and no difference. I’m thinking this indicates issue is perhaps. In the insert wiring, either at the pins or in the line? Would you agree? Fuses all check out. Thanks a ton.

#8680 3 years ago

I've got 2 balls kicking out of the gumball machine whenever I load one during a game - thoughts on cause/ fix?

When I do a gumball test and run dispense 1 ball it spits out just 1 ball.

Tried multiple games and a few power cycles, still same behavior.

Recent changes
- installed color DMD
- moved the game into my basement (all balls were removed during move)

Game was fine after color DMD install (played maybe 20 games) issue just surfaced after moving the game into the basement. No drops or bumps during the move, smooth and steady as can be going down stairs

#8681 3 years ago

Started a tear down today. WTF was I thinking ?!?

How do you guys deal with the plastics that have rivets? I don’t have a riveting tool; thinking about just doing nuts & bolts to replace the plastics that have embedded light sockets.

Also: how in THE HELL are you supposed to remove the gumball machine? I can’t figure out the plastics and the gumball itself to clean what looks like 20+ years of grime.

Also also: since I don’t have the flasher sockets and my plastic set didn’t come with any, I may have to leave the existing plastics to the left of the gumball. That’s gonna bother me!

#8682 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How do you guys deal with the plastics that have rivets? I don’t have a riveting tool; thinking about just doing nuts & bolts to replace the plastics that have embedded light sockets.
Also: how in THE HELL are you supposed to remove the gumball machine? I can’t figure out the plastics and the gumball itself to clean what looks like 20+ years of grime.
Also also: since I don’t have the flasher sockets and my plastic set didn’t come with any, I may have to leave the existing plastics to the left of the gumball. That’s gonna bother me!

Rivets are easy. Drill them out with a good 1/8" bit from the underside. Usually I just pop rivet in the replacements (aluminum rivets). Pop rivet guns are cheap and used often in pin repairs. Old school rivets aren't that bad to deal will but do require a little skill. If you do pop rivets make sure you also buy the correct size aluminum washers (sold in the same isle). The idea is to sandwich the pinball plastics between the pop rivet (top side) and aluminum washer (bottom side).

#8683 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Rivets are easy. Drill them out with a good 1/8" bit from the underside. Usually I just pop rivet in the replacements (aluminum rivets). Pop rivet guns are cheap and used often in pin repairs. Old school rivets aren't that bad to deal will but do require a little skill. If you do pop rivets make sure you also buy the correct size aluminum washers (sold in the same isle). The idea is to sandwich the pinball plastics between the pop rivet (top side) and aluminum washer (bottom side).

I appreciate the encouragement. Are pop rivet tools available at Harbor Freight, for example? (Just noticed an ACTUAL store near me). I don’t care quite as much about authenticity but if it’s low risk to destroying the plastic I’ll give it a shot - otherwise it’s nut & bolt combos from here on out..

#8684 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I appreciate the encouragement. Are pop rivet tools available at Harbor Freight, for example? (Just noticed an ACTUAL store near me). I don’t care quite as much about authenticity but if it’s low risk to destroying the plastic I’ll give it a shot - otherwise it’s nut & bolt combos from here on out..

I have never broken a plastic with a pop rivet gun (knock on wood). Harbor Freight does carry them. Just don't forget the washers.

#8685 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

1. Disconnect the motor and switch wires from under the playfield.
2. Remove the 3-flasher plastic to the left of the gumball machine.
3. Remove the plastic around the bridge diverter.
4. Remove the plastic up aroudn the gumball wireform.
5. Remove the gumball wireform. Two or three hex screws.
6. remove the 4 hex screws holding the gumball machine down.
7. Rotate the gumball machine to align the motor gearbox to lift out of the playfield.

It ain't easy - very tight clearances, and hard-to-reach screws. Magnetic screwdriver helps. The plastics wil have to be bent to be slid in and out, too.

#8686 3 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

I've got 2 balls kicking out of the gumball machine whenever I load one during a game - thoughts on cause/ fix?
When I do a gumball test and run dispense 1 ball it spits out just 1 ball.
Tried multiple games and a few power cycles, still same behavior.
Recent changes
- installed color DMD
- moved the game into my basement (all balls were removed during move)
Game was fine after color DMD install (played maybe 20 games) issue just surfaced after moving the game into the basement. No drops or bumps during the move, smooth and steady as can be going down stairs

So... issue seems to have solved itself, weird.

Still curious if anyone has thoughts.

#8687 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Use button head screws instead of rivets. Pic shows the screws rivets on the left and the button head screws on the right. Pic makes them look more different because of the lighting. From players perspective, they looks almost identical. Bought a bunch off ebay and used them multiple times.

ebay.com link » 5 40 Button Head Socket Cap Screws Allen Hex Drive Stainless Steel 18 8 Qty 100

ebay.com link » 5 40 Coarse Nyloc Nylon Insert Locknut Ntm Thin Stainless 18 8

20200524_225239 (resized).jpg20200524_225239 (resized).jpg
#8688 3 years ago

I’ve got my game fully working, playing great, and looking great. Gosh there are so many mods to pick from, more even then Tron. I just bought the piano mod and the mirrored blue clock casing tonight, not sure what other mods I’ll add along the way

089E4B94-65A6-4A95-B8DA-12F927CEB5E6 (resized).jpeg089E4B94-65A6-4A95-B8DA-12F927CEB5E6 (resized).jpeg

#8689 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’ve got my game fully working, playing great, and looking great. Gosh there are so many mods to pick from, more even then Tron. I just bought the piano mod and the mirrored blue clock casing tonight, not sure what other mods I’ll add along the way
[quoted image]

Wow, that does look great. I've been trying to find ways to brighten the playfield up as we always have lights low or off when playing. Are those pinstadiums?
As for mods, pinsound+ adds quite a bit to the game, esp the ability to change between the various mixes. Just got mine installed today and loving it.

#8690 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

[quoted image]

My Twilight Zone has about 3k of mods/boards/upgrades. I put all the updates/mods and some that I don't have in a doc. It's still a rough draft but pm if you want a link to it. I didn't want to add the link here because it's not final and not sure how long I'll keep it in google drive.

IMG_20200425_185302457 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_185302457 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_185325582 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_185325582 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_185413659 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_185413659 (resized).jpg
#8691 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

1. Disconnect the motor and switch wires from under the playfield.
2. Remove the 3-flasher plastic to the left of the gumball machine.
3. Remove the plastic around the bridge diverter.
4. Remove the plastic up aroudn the gumball wireform.
5. Remove the gumball wireform. Two or three hex screws.
6. remove the 4 hex screws holding the gumball machine down.
7. Rotate the gumball machine to align the motor gearbox to lift out of the playfield.
It ain't easy - very tight clearances, and hard-to-reach screws. Magnetic screwdriver helps. The plastics wil have to be bent to be slid in and out, too.

Thanks! Finishing up today

#8692 3 years ago

I started researching the rivet situation and while I guess I’m ok with the pop rivets, i wanted to understand the difference - MAN those presses are expensive! I knew Pinbits and Pinrestore had options, but still pricey. I came across this:

https://www.gasolinealleytoys.com/products/toy-repair-restoration-clamp-style-tubular-rivet-clincher

Not bad for $45!

#8693 3 years ago

I joined the club yesterday. Game seemed to be a bit of a "barn find" in a a good way. Looks like it hasn't been played much in the past 25 years. Almost no wear, no LEDs, original clock board, etc. I wouldn't doubt the game has the original rubbers on it. Only cosmetic negative is the right side had the typical red faded.

#8694 3 years ago
Quoted from MLmotorsport:

Are those pinstadiums?

Yes, I only have them on two games - TZ and Metallica. They are really nice on TZ.

Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

My Twilight Zone has about 3k of mods/boards/upgrades. I put all the updates/mods and some that I don't have in a doc. It's still a rough draft but pm if you want a link to it. I didn't want to add the link here because it's not final and not sure how long I'll keep it in google drive.

Wow! You have basically every mod I’ve seen for sale! I thought the two robots were kind of mutually exclusive, but they look great together.

The pyramid was a mod I was very interested in but the eyeball on it looked a little out of place to me. The rocket also looks really great but I worry that it impedes clear vision. What’s your opinion on those two mods? Also, on your mini playfield, what happened to the switch casings? They look like they have disappeared. Is that some type of mod?

#8695 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, I only have them on two games - TZ and Metallica. They are really nice on TZ.

Wow! You have basically every mod I’ve seen for sale! I thought the two robots were kind of mutually exclusive, but they look great together.
The pyramid was a mod I was very interested in but the eyeball on it looked a little out of place to me. The rocket also looks really great but I worry that it impedes clear vision. What’s your opinion on those two mods? Also, on your mini playfield, what happened to the switch casings? They look like they have disappeared. Is that some type of mod?

There's even more mods for TZ that I don't have such as the convertible car, mannequin, space ship, door, building...

Yes there is a pyramid with a weird eyeball, but mine has an led with no eyeball which looks better.
This is the expensive Robby robot that has 11 led lights in it.
There are also basic rockets with a flat looking base. Mine has plastic molded rocket fire and smoke with led. I don't think it obstructs there view.
The mini playfield has the gray switches swapped out. It also has a metal cliffy along the whole right side of the playfield.

3 things not visible in the pictures:
1) 2 extra led lights board under the gum and ball inserts
2) third magnet by the spiral
3) by the shooter lane, they red strip has a strobe led that moves from bottom to top when you shoot the ball (discontinued mod)

#8696 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The angle of the flippers would also affect it.

Thank you Rdoyle1978 and Neal_W for the tips on adjust the slot machine scoop and the flippers a few weeks ago. Both needed adjustment to get the ball to bounce properly. The angle of the flippers totally changed it. It is dialed in now.

#8697 3 years ago

Does anyone have a list or spreadsheet of their LED configurations they can share. It seems like a rabbit hole to get lost in with so many options. I don't want to just buy a kit though. The last owner replaced some in the backglass already but everything on and under the playfield is incandescent.

#8698 3 years ago

Got my "cherry on top" mod today!
Manny65 hooked me up with an O.G. metal slot mod with 7 LEDs. It was still new in the packaging with instructions. I didn't think I'd find one, and was not wanting the plastic copy. It took two months from Australia to nj! Shipped at the beginning of the pandemic and arrived today
Great guy to deal with, great communication. I'm so psyched to have this, and I swear the game knows ..... First game with it, my t.v. mod played the slot machine episode! Creepy

IMG_20200530_131126087 (resized).jpgIMG_20200530_131126087 (resized).jpgIMG_20200530_131132936 (resized).jpgIMG_20200530_131132936 (resized).jpgIMG_20200530_155424476_BURST004 (resized).jpgIMG_20200530_155424476_BURST004 (resized).jpg

#8699 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Got my "cherry on top" mod today!
Manny65 hooked me up with an O.G. metal slot mod with 7 LEDs. It was still new in the packaging with instructions. I didn't think I'd find one, and was not wanting the plastic copy. It took two months from Australia to nj! Shipped at the beginning of the pandemic and arrived today
Great guy to deal with, great communication. I'm so psyched to have this, and I swear the game knows ..... First game with it, my t.v. mod played the slot machine episode! Creepy
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks mate. Didn't take long for you to get it on your machine - looks great!! Hope your game now gives you a GC to go with it

#8700 3 years ago

Just a few pictures of the Twilight Zone we picked up last weekend. New rubbers and LEDs, but going to keep things fairly close to original.

20200530_143146 (resized).jpg20200530_143146 (resized).jpg20200530_143205 (resized).jpg20200530_143205 (resized).jpg20200530_143242 (resized).jpg20200530_143242 (resized).jpg20200530_143303 (resized).jpg20200530_143303 (resized).jpg20200530_143318 (resized).jpg20200530_143318 (resized).jpg20200530_143344 (resized).jpg20200530_143344 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
There are 15,091 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 302.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/174?hl=homebru and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.