IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 305.
#8301 4 years ago

Those sockets are terrible as it is , add to that a bulb you almost always have to bend the wire on....try pushing the two "fingers" that hold the bulb together

#8302 4 years ago

Love these decals from pinball pimp!

IMG_20200314_124107710 (resized).jpgIMG_20200314_124107710 (resized).jpg
#8303 4 years ago

Has anyone experienced this before. When I go into empty balls sometime the gumball will not turn on only the trough. Other times both the trough and gumball will activate at the same time as per normal. If I get the above fault all I do is exit the operation and then activate it again and all goes well.

I have a lazy flipper issue as well that I'll address which may be connected I don't know

#8304 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Has anyone experienced this before. When I go into empty balls sometime the gumball will not turn on only the trough. Other times both the trough and gumball will activate at the same time as per normal. If I get the above fault all I do is exit the operation and then activate it again and all goes well.
I have a lazy flipper issue as well that I'll address which may be connected I don't know

Lazy flipper is usually flipper opto needing cleaned or replaced.
Not sure about your other issues

#8305 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Lazy flipper is usually flipper opto needing cleaned or replaced.
Not sure about your other issues

Thank you will look at opto replacement as have tried new coil, eos adjustment, cleaning of opto etc to no avail. Is it a standard opto? I think I only have to clock optos which may be different

#8306 4 years ago
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8307 4 years ago

They are just on the other side of your flipper buttons on inside of the cab

#8308 4 years ago

So I am deep into a very detailed restore on my TZ that had a gorgeous playfield until I pulled up some Mylar and pulled one of my insert faces with it. I remember seeing someone makes decals for inserts or what is the best way to deal with this. I am beyond pissed as I opted not to do a playfield swap because the playfield was so nice. Can this be fixed without this insert sticking out like a sore thumb?

#8309 4 years ago

Thanks Green machine they're the ones. I did notice one thing just now. The flipper works well if my other 5 games are powered off. I gave a reset fix it pcb on this game so do you think maybe I'm having voltage issues with this flipper? Either way I have to address this reset problem as well

#8310 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Thanks Green machine they're the ones. I did notice one thing just now. The flipper works well if my other 5 games are powered off. I gave a reset fix it pcb on this game so do you think maybe I'm having voltage issues with this flipper? Either way I have to address this reset problem as well

Hmm reach out to Coyote he knows all things TZ

#8311 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I noticed that during Powerball mania, I would have decreased upper playfield power, I recently found a thread concerning the thermistor in the high voltage box can degrade and affect the line current coming into the machine. I replaced mine and seem to notice improvement during normal ball play, but haven't got to a powerball mania in a while to truly test whether I'm just imagining it or not...something to look at and cheap from GPE of course.

#8312 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Hmm reach out to coyote he knows all things TZ

Quoted from embryon:

Don't know yet everything you've done, but:
1. Have you switched your Flipper Opto boards? If not, switch them, and see what happens to the issue.
2. If #1 doesn't change anything, replace the fuse for that flipper. (All flippers share the same voltage source - but are wired and fused separately, unlike playfield coils that are daisy-chained, each flipper has it's own +50VDC feed.)

#8313 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I noticed that during Powerball mania, I would have decreased upper playfield power, I recently found a thread concerning the thermistor in the high voltage box can degrade and affect the line current coming into the machine. I replaced mine and seem to notice improvement during normal ball play, but haven't got to a powerball mania in a while to truly test whether I'm just imagining it or not...something to look at and cheap from GPE of course.

Powerball Mania and LITZ are heavy power draws. Since the flipper buttons fire BOTH all 4 flippers AND both magnets.
There is a menu setting, A.2 29, "Low Line" that was implement to help this specific issue. Essentially - yes, if your household (or back then, operator's location) had lower line voltage, setting this to 'Yes' disables the UL flipper, to help minimize power draw.

#8314 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Powerball Mania and LITZ are heavy power draws. Since the flipper buttons fire BOTH all 4 flippers AND both magnets.
There is a menu setting, A.2 29, "Low Line" that was implement to help this specific issue. Essentially - yes, if your household (or back then, operator's location) had lower line voltage, setting this to 'Yes' disables the UL flipper, to help minimize power draw.

Doesn't that make it very hard to hit a piano shot during multiball?

#8315 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Doesn't that make it very hard to hit a piano shot during multiball?

Powerball Mania and LITZ. Not regular Multiball. The former two have no Piano shot and HAVE a Powerfield Jackpot so magnets are activated. The latter has a Piano Jackpot, but the Powerfield Magnets are never activated.

#8316 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Powerball Mania and LITZ. Not regular Multiball. The former two have no Piano shot and HAVE a Powerfield Jackpot so magnets are activated. The latter has a Piano Jackpot, but the Powerfield Magnets are never activated.

It's amazing how well you know the game! I have only had mine a week and it seems like it's a long road ahead to figure it all out but a fun road...

#8317 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It's amazing how well you know the game! I have only had mine a week and it seems like it's a long road ahead to figure it all out bit a fun road...

I have no social life.

#8318 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

The flipper works well if my other 5 games are powered off.

BTW - How much voltage do you have at the wall with the 5 games on and off?? Maybe loose lugs at the breaker?

#8319 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

In LITZ, isn't the piano shot a jackpot? I recall it being 40-50 million or something like that. Thought pretty much everything is worth something in LITZ - ramps, jackpots, targets, etc. I find it hard to do anything in LITZ. All the balls end up colliding in the middle of the playfield making it hard to hit any shots.

#8320 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

In LITZ, isn't the piano shot a jackpot? I recall it being 40-50 million or something like that. Thought pretty much everything is worth something in LITZ - ramps, jackpots, targets, etc. I find it hard to do anything in LITZ. All the balls end up colliding in the middle of the playfield making it hard to hit any shots.

Okay - a summary..
In Powerball Mania & LITZ, the only Jackpot is:
Defeating The Power will award you 50million. (*,**) Once defeated - you get the jackpot - you have to shoot the main ramp to re-light the Powerfield (and therefore, the Jackpot.)
In Door Multiball, the only Jackpot is:
Shoting the Piano while it's lit red. Once you successfully get this Jackpot, you can re-light it by shooting the Camera.

* - During Beta-testing 9.4H, a friend was playing and got LITZ. Somehow, he DID ALSO have the Piano Jackpot shot lit. I have never seen it happen again, and Ted was never able to reproduce, so it was.. "a known incident". If someone ever here figures out how to reproduce it, let me know!
** - Because the game has no "successful" shot made to the Powerfield switch, a Powerball Jackpot is awarded when the Top Powerfield opto is closed, and then within 5 seconds, the Camera switch is seen closed. So, this means that if you have a ball up on the mini powerfield, and have it break the top opto but NOT fall through the hole, and then with another ball, shoot into the Camera (or Dead End!), you will get awarded a Powerball Jackpot. So, during LITZ? Keep a ball up in the Powefield, and just keep hitting and breaking that top opto. And use the other balls to shoot the Camera or Dead End, and rack up points.

#8321 4 years ago

During LITZ, the Piano shot is "Odd Change".

#8322 4 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

During LITZ, the Piano shot is "Odd Change".

Anytime the Yellow or Red light is not lit (i.e. Any time you shoot the Piano and are not awarded a Jackpot or Door Panel is not awarded), you will get 'Odd Change' award, yes.

#8323 4 years ago

Screw it, I just ordered a new clock board with superflux color changers

#8324 4 years ago

Wow thank you very much to all with suggestions. I think I have some more important information about my issue. I tested further yesterday after playing the game while it was working fine and I got to Litz and several mballs Inc powerball BTW, I decided to leave the game powered on and idle for at least an hour and only tz was on no other game. I came back and had a game and the upper left flipper was weak and terrible. Piano shots were impossible.

I then powered it off for an hour and then on and while playing I switch one by one my other games on and the tz played perfectly. I played another 4 great games. I then left all games on for an hour and went back to tz. The flipper was crap. So I'm thinking something is heating up and failing, but what?

Am I on to something or lost? Thanks

#8325 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Wow thank you very much to all with suggestions. I think I have some more important information about my issue. I tested further yesterday after playing the game while it was working fine and I got to Litz and several mballs Inc powerball BTW, I decided to leave the game powered on and idle for at least an hour and only tz was on no other game. I came back and had a game and the upper left flipper was weak and terrible. Piano shots were impossible.
I then powered it off for an hour and then on and while playing I switch one by one my other games on and the tz played perfectly. I played another 4 great games. I then left all games on for an hour and went back to tz. The flipper was crap. So I'm thinking something is heating up and failing, but what?

I had a lower flipper that was fine, then horribly weak, then fine. Nothing to do with other games being on. I changed both optos on the flipper button board, and all flippers are now rockin'.

#8326 4 years ago

Oh BTW I haven't tried swapping flipper pcbs. Not sure if I tried low line but would prefer to fix the problem on the game if it's there. Remember I have a resetting issue that is being cared for by the 5v fix it pcb. I've replaced bridges rects and wire links a whole ago and so am a little lost on what else needs to be replaced

#8327 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

The flipper was crap. So I'm thinking something is heating up and failing, but what?

Your flipper opto board. As I mentioned, swap them. 99.9% sure the issue will swap to the UR flipper.

#8328 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Your flipper opto board. As I mentioned, swap them. 99.9% sure the issue will swap to the UR flipper.

Thanks will try today and get back to you.

#8329 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

* - During Beta-testing 9.4H, a friend was playing and got LITZ. Somehow, he DID ALSO have the Piano Jackpot shot lit. I have never seen it happen again, and Ted was never able to reproduce, so it was.. "a known incident". If someone ever here figures out how to reproduce it, let me know!

I just tested going straight to LITZ with glass off and confirmed you only get odd change for piano shot. Tried it several times and no jackpots. I swear I got a jackpot one time long ago but no way to say for sure. Good to know next time I get to LITZ. Instead of trying to get piano shots, I will try to get balls to upper pf. Amazing that there is still things to learn on a game I have owned for a while.

#8330 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Thanks will try today and get back to you.

Likely an opto on your flipper board is dirty, or starting to fail, and causing some current to flow through to the coil, heating it and it's driving transistor up.

If switching them DOES NOT change it, then you have a bad transistor leaking current on your Fliptronics board, and it'll have to be fixed.

#8331 4 years ago

A quick update and I won't say it's all fixed just yet. More testing needed. But I switched the two flipper opto pcbs over and played a few games without any fault. Then I left the game idle on for a couple of hours and the issue did not appear on either side. Did a few more play tests to be sure.

I then switched them back as originally and play tested OK. Left the game idle again with all my games on for an hour and tested again. No issues. Left idle for another 3 hours and played without a problem. All flippers strong.

My conclusion is maybe a bad connection on the pcb and reseating the plug resolved the issue. But I will continue to monitor this game and keep you posted. Thanks again guys you've been great to me

#8332 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

A quick update and I won't say it's all fixed just yet. More testing needed. But I switched the two flipper opto pcbs over and played a few games without any fault. Then I left the game idle on for a couple of hours and the issue did not appear on either side. Did a few more play tests to be sure.
I then switched them back as originally and play tested OK. Left the game idle again with all my games on for an hour and tested again. No issues. Left idle for another 3 hours and played without a problem. All flippers strong.
My conclusion is maybe a bad connection on the pcb and reseating the plug resolved the issue. But I will continue to monitor this game and keep you posted. Thanks again guys you've been great to me

That’s great! In my experience 9 out 10 times it’s something more simple like that causing problems

#8333 4 years ago

Looks like I have something to do with my extra time off..... Shipped from Spain incredibly fast!

IMG_20200316_143721176 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_143721176 (resized).jpg
#8334 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Yup, could be a number of things, but - good. Keep an eye on it, and have fun!

#8335 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Looks like I have something to do with my extra time off..... Shipped from Spain incredibly fast![quoted image]

I like the weathered look of that piano. Where’d you buy it please?

#8336 4 years ago

Ok, is there a way to get that lampshade plug off without learning how to remove the mini playfield? I can't quite reach it..

#8337 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Ok, is there a way to get that lampshade plug off without learning how to remove the mini playfield? I can't quite reach it..

I have the same piano. I agree it looks great. Great service and delivery

#8338 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

No, as I believe the molex plugs are UNDER the powerfield. So, even if you could get to the post, you'd need to unplug it.

#8339 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No, as I believe the molex plugs are UNDER the powerfield. So, even if you could get to the post, you'd need to unplug it.

Yeah, the connector is like an inch too far back....little more slack is all I needed!

#8340 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Laretrotienda on ebay

#8341 4 years ago

Ok, piano mod.... 10 minutes install because I cut the metal connectors off the bulbs to neaten it up. Love the mod. I'm scared to move it lower and closer to the edge of that scoop, as I saw someone post pics of their piano all chipped up. Not sure if it will stay like this or what I'll do.
Lampshade. Came with rivets, didn't know I needed a rivet gun. Went to home Depot and got one, took me a half hour to figure out the hole in the bulb socket was bigger than the mount hole in the shade, so had to drill a smaller hole so it would work. Had to disassemble the friggin mini playfield to get to the wire plug, then the mount hole at the base of the lampshade bracket was too small for the screw that goes thru it. Drilled that bigger. I like the way it looks, but my rivet job is barely acceptable and given the effort it took to install, I would have gone with a decal and been done with it. It's in now, and it looks nice and shiny, so all is well that ends well. Clear Titan rubbers going on after dinner
IMG_20200316_184116501 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_184116501 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_184128556_BURST008 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_184128556_BURST008 (resized).jpg

#8342 4 years ago

Hardly any rubbers on here
IMG_20200316_195959676 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_195959676 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_200011271 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_200011271 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200316_200732253 (resized).jpgIMG_20200316_200732253 (resized).jpg
#8343 4 years ago

Wow you don’t hang about do you Straight in there doing the rubbers etc. I’ve been procrastinating on removing the mini playfield to install those switches etc for weeks.

And yeah that lamp, as great as it is, has some challenges. I wasn’t expecting to have to roll out the hole for the screw, that really should be sorted by the seller. And riveting - I had to send mine off to get done as I don’t have a rivet gun.

#8344 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Laretrotienda on ebay

Is it just me, or is $80 crazy for this mod?

#8345 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Is it just me, or is $80 crazy for this mod?

Well, i hate the red plastic McDonald's meal toy piano, and I don't have the patience or skills to make one myself. This one looks awesome and I like how the bulbs illuminate the translucent scroll section when it's lit for jackpot or piano mode. I think this game looks like something is missing over that ugly bracket and the piano fits great there. So.... I figured you only live once, screw it
Plus,.that mod and the lampshade mod included shipping from Spain that got to NJ in four days.

#8346 4 years ago

Yup, each mod is personal preference, and most don't add to the resale value of the pin beyond the most popular mods like color DMD.

We each chose our own with our individual time available to suit our taste, budget, and skill level.

#8347 4 years ago

That piano mod looks awesome. I don't think $80 is crazy for something hand crafted and detailed like that.

I have a very similar one, maybe the same. How did you fit the yellow and red bulbs into it? Bulbs fit very loose in mine and don't like to stay in. I tried wrapping the base of the bulb with a bulb condom. That helps give it a little extra width and grip but still a pain keeping the bulbs in place. I would hot glue them in but that would make it difficult to service the clock.

#8348 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That piano mod looks awesome. I don't think $80 is crazy for something hand crafted and detailed like that.
I have a very similar one, maybe the same. How did you fit the yellow and red bulbs into it? Bulbs fit very loose in mine and don't like to stay in. I tried wrapping the base of the bulb with a bulb condom. That helps give it a little extra width and grip but still a pain keeping the bulbs in place. I would hot glue them in but that would make it difficult to service the clock.

Same issue here.... My led bulbs wouldn't fit in, so I switched to smaller led bulbs and cut the metal brackets off the sockets (which were kinda weighing them down and pulling them out. I put some electrical tape around the bulb and wedged it in. I am going to check on them soon when my ingo board shows up and I have to remove the clock.

#8349 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Ok, piano mod.... 10 minutes install because I cut the metal connectors off the bulbs to neaten it up. Love the mod. I'm scared to move it lower and closer to the edge of that scoop, as I saw someone post pics of their piano all chipped up. Not sure if it will stay like this or what I'll do.
Lampshade. Came with rivets, didn't know I needed a rivet gun. Went to home Depot and got one, took me a half hour to figure out the hole in the bulb socket was bigger than the mount hole in the shade, so had to drill a smaller hole so it would work. Had to disassemble the friggin mini playfield to get to the wire plug, then the mount hole at the base of the lampshade bracket was too small for the screw that goes thru it. Drilled that bigger. I like the way it looks, but my rivet job is barely acceptable and given the effort it took to install, I would have gone with a decal and been done with it. It's in now, and it looks nice and shiny, so all is well that ends well. Clear Titan rubbers going on after dinner
[quoted image][quoted image]

That particular piano mod is IMO the nicest looking one - it can be hard to get the bulbs in there - make sure have them in there securely. Also I put super bright bulbs in mine because the piano roll that they sit behind can obscure the light.

#8350 4 years ago

I have a TZ for sale if you're in the Chicago area (or willing to drive out). Not looking for trades. It's a real nice one I think. I'm in need of some space so I can re-finish a basement.

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Twilight Zone Archived
Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean - “This is my Twilight Zone pinball machine that I've owned for around 6-7 years. It took me over a year to find one in as good as condition as this. The playfield is really nice in...”
2020-03-14
Northbrook, IL
6,000 (OBO)
Archived after: 6 days
Viewed: 832 times
Contributed to Pinside

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 22.50
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 12.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/167?hl=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.