IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 161 of 305.
#8001 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

3 or 5 ball game?

#8002 4 years ago

I leave all of my games on 5 ball, simply because that’s how they were when I was a kid / teenager. I bet we played 1,000 games on the TZ at the local bowling alley. So many that the game started to have issues and they replaced it with something that else. It was a sad, sad day. So many nights of fun....

#8003 4 years ago

Twilight zone is a bit deceiving in my opinion. It is a slow game at times but can turn fast and drain the ball instantly. There are also a number of shots that are very risky. Of all the games I have, this game probably has the lowest time for each ball in play.

#8004 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Twilight zone is a bit deceiving in my opinion. It is a slow game at times but can turn fast and drain the ball instantly. There are also a number of shots that are very risky. Of all the games I have, this game probably has the lowest time for each ball in play.

At least on my machine, the clock Target is brutally unforgiving.

My wife says I get in a groove with TZ and she gets mad - balls last a long time. Then I fall into not being able to hit anything and the frustration sets in...

I’ve never felt that groove with other games. Not my STTNG, WOZ, etc. Not that they aren’t fun, but it’s not the same...

#8005 4 years ago

Does the nut come with the bracket for the spiral magnets? The part number in the manual is a-16460 and it says bracket and nut assembly but the product on Marco's page doesn't show the nut.

#8006 4 years ago

Hi all, I am in London, does anyone know someone that could help with a TZ? After not using the machine for a couple of years, I am getting the ‘check Geneva switch’ error, and the gumball will accept balls, but the the gumball motor won’t turn to dispense any. Will forcing the yellow knob on the front help? I know very little about how pinballs work, so any basic advice appreciated thank you

#8007 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy2play:

Hi all, I am in London, does anyone know someone that could help with a TZ? After not using the machine for a couple of years, I am getting the ‘check Geneva switch’ error, and the gumball will accept balls, but the the gumball motor won’t turn to dispense any. Will forcing the yellow knob on the front help? I know very little about how pinballs work, so any basic advice appreciated thank you

There are lots of Pinsiders around you, so hopefully someone will reach out. You might want to start a thread in the main forum, looking for locals who can help, since any WPC pin from the 90s is similar to TZ.

Since your pin has been sitting, the first thing I worry about is the AA batteries leaking on the CPU board which happens frequently. You can unlock the backbox, lift out the translight, swing the lamp board to the side, and look at the CPU board on the left. Carefully check the batteries there for any green acid leakage and replace dead batteries ASAP. Report back if you see leakage or not.

#8008 4 years ago

Funny, i think this is actually what makes this game so incredible.
stop & go, slow, then fast, then superfast with the Powerball etc.
it is the variety of shots, of risky shots, and the different flow pace of the game according to what mode you're in that make this game so amazing and unique.
I have played hundreds of pinball machines, and not one quite compares to Twilight Zone.
this game is in a league of its own IMHO.

#8009 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

IMHO, I'm in the minority, but I do NOT like Pinsound on TZ..

I enjoy the sound library options for my TZ but typically only use the one with the heavier Golden Earring TZ sound track. I love the bass etc...

I would say that the only thing for me that is missing is a rework of Serling's call outs. If we could chip in and have Tim Kitzrow redo these and possibly additional ones I would be in! I reached out to him over a year ago and had discussed it, we exchanged a few messages and then he stopped responding. That said, although he is the original voice and would kill it I don't care who does it if it sounds authentic, but the Serling's call outs need to be redone.

#8010 4 years ago

I think you’ve really nailed why this game is so awesome - you think you’re safe but then -BAM!- drain.

#8011 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I enjoy the sound library options for my TZ but typically only use the one with the heavier Golden Earring TZ sound track. I love the bass etc...
I would say that the only thing for me that is missing is a rework of Serling's call outs. If we could chip in and have Tim Kitzrow redo these and possibly additional ones I would be in! I reached out to him over a year ago and had discussed it, we exchanged a few messages and then he stopped responding. That said, although he is the original voice and would kill it I don't care who does it if it sounds authentic, but the Serling's call outs need to be redone.

Save up for Kitzrow’s time, and save about 10x that for licensing Serling’s voice. The estate doesn’t let just anybody do stuff like this.

There’s an actor named Mark Silverman who is the official voice of Rod Serling. He’d have to do this, or you’d have to get an unknown who could keep it quiet.

#8012 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think you’ve really nailed why this game is so awesome - you think you’re safe but then -BAM!- drain.

That pretty much sums it up. After putting on the white rubbers at the slings it can be really fast and the loop can be so fast that if you aren't concentrating it will spin around and drain before you know what happened.

#8013 4 years ago

Can someone tell me where this goes on twilight zone? I can’t seem to figure it out. Thanks

2D51F866-9D97-4443-B09D-59A32B69CBF7 (resized).png2D51F866-9D97-4443-B09D-59A32B69CBF7 (resized).png
#8014 4 years ago

It is a mistake on Marco. it is not on pinball life’s twilight zone part list. It is used on shadow terminator 2 high speed 2 and doctor dude not on tz

5091613A-AE8A-4214-B64D-B3AC026B6098 (resized).png5091613A-AE8A-4214-B64D-B3AC026B6098 (resized).png
#8015 4 years ago

Yeah, that ain't a TZ part.

#8016 4 years ago

Hey folks! Just joined the club this month and wanna prime my machine up a bit.

Does anyone have a spiral rail for TZ available?
Also looking for a few other items.
The Spiral sideblades and backglass area,
Low profile switch kit for the upper playfield.
Speaker box light kit
Clear Clock with blue board
Pyramid mods...
Thanks!

#8017 4 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

It is a mistake on Marco. it is not on pinball life’s twilight zone part list. It is used on shadow terminator 2 high speed 2 and doctor dude not on tz[quoted image]

Quoted from Coyote:

Yeah, that ain't a TZ part.

Thanks fellas didn’t think so I thought I was going crazy get a min, in the process of doing a full restore new playfield and cabinet, all metal parts are powdered coated

2D77E4B0-4EC6-49BF-90CB-C16DF4F93F29 (resized).jpeg2D77E4B0-4EC6-49BF-90CB-C16DF4F93F29 (resized).jpeg2A61FE86-4FEE-462A-A587-3298B822B438 (resized).jpeg2A61FE86-4FEE-462A-A587-3298B822B438 (resized).jpegCAA19FA1-C2B8-417D-B145-55CD2C967A48 (resized).jpegCAA19FA1-C2B8-417D-B145-55CD2C967A48 (resized).jpeg3CBD4799-947D-441A-8FB1-0D574E9C8ACA (resized).jpeg3CBD4799-947D-441A-8FB1-0D574E9C8ACA (resized).jpegF28F2AFA-51EC-4F0F-9E6E-24B371D0F0C3 (resized).jpegF28F2AFA-51EC-4F0F-9E6E-24B371D0F0C3 (resized).jpeg8F7A1CE9-C75E-49C0-89D4-3C15F678AED2 (resized).jpeg8F7A1CE9-C75E-49C0-89D4-3C15F678AED2 (resized).jpeg
#8018 4 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

Thanks fellas didn’t think so I thought I was going crazy get a min, in the process of doing a full restore new playfield and cabinet, all metal parts are powdered coated[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a very, very interesting take. Am real curious to see how it looks once you're finished!

#8019 4 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

Thanks fellas didn’t think so I thought I was going crazy get a min, in the process of doing a full restore new playfield and cabinet, all metal parts are powdered coated[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Black leg bolts would look nice.

#8020 4 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

curious to see how those stainless steel guides hold up with powder coating...

#8021 4 years ago

There's a few mistake on their TZ parts list, I think someone misread "T2" for "TZ" . . .

Quoted from Zukboy2002:

Can someone tell me where this goes on twilight zone? I can’t seem to figure it out. Thanks[quoted image]

#8022 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Save up for Kitzrow’s time, and save about 10x that for licensing Serling’s voice. The estate doesn’t let just anybody do stuff like this.
There’s an actor named Mark Silverman who is the official voice of Rod Serling. He’d have to do this, or you’d have to get an unknown who could keep it quiet.

Well that explains why the conversation went dark... I would have had the 'Hey it's only pinball' response to that.

I recall that you were thinking of giving it a go. Did you attempt it?

#8023 4 years ago

How about this one does it go in TZ?

003F2C4E-A873-4A09-8BF9-7CA8C6A123C3 (resized).png003F2C4E-A873-4A09-8BF9-7CA8C6A123C3 (resized).png
#8024 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Well that explains why the conversation went dark... I would have had the 'Hey it's only pinball' response to that.
I recall that you were thinking of giving it a go. Did you attempt it?

I did start on it - just no time to get it good and right. I’ve got a PinSound mix I keep promising to share but haven’t done so. Add it to the list of things I need to do lately!

#8025 4 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

How about this one does it go in TZ?[quoted image]

Yes, however it's out of stock.

#8026 4 years ago

I have one would you know where it goes in the game? I don’t remember and dont see a spot on the playfield for it

#8027 4 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

I have one would you know where it goes in the game? I don’t remember and dont see a spot on the playfield for it

It is upside-down and backwards in that shot. It goes at the entrance to the left ramp, on the right side (under the ramp entrance switch).

#8029 4 years ago
Quoted from Zukboy2002:

Screenshot_20200130-092313_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200130-092313_Gallery (resized).jpg
#8030 4 years ago

Question regarding Color DMD: Does anyone have video of the LCD animations with "smoothing" turned on? I've seen a few CDMDs in the wild (and on the web site) but they always seem to just be dots. I did a search here, in the DMD thread, and in the "wild" but have not yet found anything.

Thanks.

#8031 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Question regarding Color DMD: Does anyone have video of the LCD animations with "smoothing" turned on? I've seen a few CDMDs in the wild (and on the web site) but they always seem to just be dots. I did a search here, in the DMD thread, and in the "wild" but have not yet found anything.
Thanks.

Me too I am interested as never saw a vid about TZ Colord DMD with smoothing on, very interested in upgrading to color dmd...

#8032 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Thanks.

Quoted from Giulio:

Me too I am interested as never saw a vid about TZ Colord DMD with smoothing on, very interested in upgrading to color dmd...

I think Bowlingpin has posted a great looking color DMD on this thread
He has the LCD and it looks awesome on TZ

#8033 4 years ago
Quoted from Giulio:

Not sure if this is on smoothing but this is bowlingpin pic of his pin on DMD- LCD Vs LED thread

6D70E2B8-EE69-45BF-BAB3-44F022577301 (resized).png6D70E2B8-EE69-45BF-BAB3-44F022577301 (resized).png
#8034 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Not sure if this is on smoothing but this is bowlingpin pic of his pin on DMD- LCD Vs LED thread

To me, that looks like an LCD version with "Dot XL" turned on. Dot XL is larger dots than standard, which is the same size as plasma andLED.

the LED variety is not capable of Dot XL

#8035 4 years ago

Here's DotXL from my game:
TZ DotXL (resized).jpgTZ DotXL (resized).jpg

Here's Popeye with smoothing on. Again, only LCD screens can do this

Smoothing on (resized).JPGSmoothing on (resized).JPG
#8036 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Here's DotXL from my game:
[quoted image]
Here's Popeye with smoothing on. Again, only LCD screens can do this[quoted image]

Ok so there are pros and cons to the smoothing on different games, is my guess?

#8037 4 years ago

I don't have a colorDMD, but I believe that -
The LCD model can do dots and smoothing, while the
LED model can only do dots.

#8038 4 years ago

I've had ColorDMD LCDs on about 5 different games, and the smoothing on each one always looked weird to me. I set every game to DotXL. seems to look the best IMO

There are 4 settings I believe-
1. standard (dots same size as plasma/LED)
2. Dot XL (still dots, just bigger)
3. Square dot (like DotXL, just square!) can't remember what the real name is for this
4. Hires/Upscaling (smoothing)

Here's a good post that explains it somewhat

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-best-settings-for-colordmd

#8039 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Quoted from Seatmandan:

I've had ColorDMD LCDs on about 5 different games, and the smoothing on each one always looked weird to me. I set every game to DotXL. seems to look the best IMO
3. Square dot (like DotXL, just square!) can't remember what the real name is for this

Thanks for the schooling! I have plans on getting the color DMD LCD for my TZ. So far it seems to be my choice

#8040 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

See you at TPF2020! This will be our first time attending..... looking forward to it!

#8041 4 years ago

I have plans on getting the color DMD LCD for my TZ. So far it seems to be my choice

awesome. You won't regret it! Again, I only have the LCD units, and they are amazing. I have one on Tales Of the Arabian Nights as well and it looks just as awesome!!

TOTAN ColorDMD (resized).JPGTOTAN ColorDMD (resized).JPG
#8042 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

awesome. You won't regret it! Again, I only have the LCD units, and they are amazing. I have one on Tales Of the Arabian Nights as well and it looks just as awesome!![quoted image]

Looks great... I’ve been procrastinating about buying one trying to justify the cost. In all honesty my want in the case is over my need

#8043 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Here's a good post that explains it somewhat
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-best-settings-for-colordmd

I have the LCD in my TZ. I do not like the smoothing effect at all. I set it to dots. Colored dots in TZ looks great. The "jackpot" in color is awesome.

#8044 4 years ago

Looks great... I’ve been procrastinating about buying one trying to justify the cost. In all honesty my want in the case is over my need

If you bring a game to a show, you can get a colordmd with a discount plus free shipping. Bringing a game to a show also gets you in free so added bonus. Pretty much saves you over $100 so well worth it if you are able.

One other advantage of getting colordmd that people don't talk about much is the colordmd display does not need high voltage. Common for the high voltage av to be faulty and some of the dmd's hum/buzz. Colordmd uses low voltage and makes no noise.

#8045 4 years ago

DotsXL is the correct setting, and anyone who has it on Hi-Res or something else that tries to upscale into a modern LCD look is a heretic!

#8046 4 years ago

trying to justify the cost

I was going to say the beauty with them is that they're portable between games, but from the looks of your line-up, TZ is the only one in need of color!!

#8047 4 years ago

I have a ColorDMD on my TZ, and I currently have it on the smooth setting. For me, I think it looks great!

I'll take some pics and video when I get home from work today so that you can actually see it for real on TZ.

I think the real beauty of the ColorDMD LCD is that you can make the choice on how you would like it to look; dots, squares, or smooth. If you try one out for a while and don't like it, you can go back and change the setting to look like something else.

#8048 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I was going to say the beauty with them is that they're portable between games, but from the looks of your line-up, TZ is the only one in need of color!!

True it is the only one in need of color I will never part with it. I’ve slowly been fixing it up.... color is next on the list

#8049 4 years ago

It went from pic1 to pic2 since I purchased it in spring

98C4248D-FC77-4AD0-BE5E-10CFA452257F (resized).jpeg98C4248D-FC77-4AD0-BE5E-10CFA452257F (resized).jpeg6CF8DF78-0E79-40CA-B08F-501F01E3EF8E (resized).jpeg6CF8DF78-0E79-40CA-B08F-501F01E3EF8E (resized).jpeg
#8050 4 years ago

It’s also worthwhile trying the “scanline” setting which is effectively a combination of hires and dots. It greatly depends on the game as far as how good things look. Older games with simpler animations don’t benefit from hires and DOTXL seems to look best. Newer games (say, Simpson PP) look incredible with hires.

I have SCAN on my MB which looks pretty good - but in general DOTXL Works for Just about any game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 14.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 161 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/161?hl=parispinballadct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.