twilight-zone-escape-clause-youre-the-devil-1_resize.gif
IMG_5096 (resized).jpeg
20240227_093351 (resized).jpg
Eddy board (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 8.44.39 AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 5.00.06 PM (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 302.
#7851 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Those big caps look to be a bit parabolic on the top. Time to replace them all. And the regulator definitely took some heat, possibly drifting from 5V. Bridges look like they've either been replaced or re-flowed.

You mean the 5 large cylinders?

#7852 4 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Not sure which one is the 5v regulator.

look on the back of the board where its getting dark...from heat....those two large solder spots are the ones I'm referring to. That's your 5V regulator.

#7853 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Those big caps look to be a bit parabolic on the top. Time to replace them all.

Perhaps, but not before you reflow all the headers and budget for a replacement board. Those caps are hell to get out if you’re not an expert because the leads are spring-loaded against the holes for ease of installation. My 30 years soldering as a hobbyist wasn’t enough to keep me from wrecking the eyelet that connects one side of the circuit to the other. And I had the benefit of a shiny new desoldering station to play with.

#7854 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Perhaps, but not before you reflow all the headers and budget for a replacement board. Those caps are hell to get out if you’re not an expert because the leads are spring-loaded against the holes for ease of installation. My 30 years soldering as a hobbyist wasn’t enough to keep me from wrecking the eyelet that connects one side of the circuit to the other. And I had the benefit of a shiny new desoldering station to play with.

I have to wonder if anyone can get them out without damaging the through hole. I never have, and like you, I have decades of soldering experience. I just suck it up and jumper the back of the board every time. I mean, it works and it’s hidden from sight.

And in my opinion, which is worth...well...if you’re going to replace the 5V regulator, use one of these. No heat, and it’s switching.

https://www.ezsbc.com/index.php/psu5.html#.Xhu0AcpOmhA

I did all sorts of upgrades to my STTNG board - new bridges, caps, regulator and headers. It’s rock solid now. Did random resets before. I never replaced the connectors, somewhere down the road as time permits...

#7855 4 years ago

Removing the large caps requires loads of patience and plenty of solder wick. And, a 100 watt soldering iron minimum. Or a Weller soldering gun as a backup.

You wick the solder out once the pad it fully heated and solder all melted, then you re-solder and do it again. Repeat until you can see daylight thru the plated hole. Wiggle the component until you see movement. Sometimes added heat along with non-stop wiggling will shake it loose.

Painstaking and long winded, but it does work. I've done it dozens and dozens of times over the years.

#7856 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I have a complete door with coin mechs, button switch and harness available if you're looking for one. Has a chunk of the coin return bezel broken off, see images.[quoted image]

Thanks for the offer but I only need the coin mech/validator. Anyone know where I can get just that? Having trouble finding on Google.

#7857 4 years ago

Thanks for the offer but I only need the coin mech/validator. Anyone know where I can get just that? Having trouble finding on Google.

Ebay. Search for "Coin Mech" and you'll get lots of hits. You want the smaller, 3.5" ones. (That search will come up with a lot of other vending units too..)

#7858 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Ebay. Search for "Coin Mech" and you'll get lots of hits. You want the smaller, 3.5" ones. (That search will come up with a lot of other vending units too..)

CF6706A0-EBBF-4E51-B14A-F8E0146D83A7.gifCF6706A0-EBBF-4E51-B14A-F8E0146D83A7.gif
#7859 4 years ago

Hello TZ people,
I’ve got a new problem that hopefully someone has encountered, and knows a solution.
When I drain a ball, the game begins totaling up bonus points, stops, then goes back into game mode, shortly thereafter a ball search.
During ball search, the game then completes totaling bonus points, and the game continues normally. If I engage the flippers a few times before ball search begins, the scoring completes.
This is an intermittent problem, probably around 40% of the time.
I recently cleaned the playfield, adjusted a few switches, cleaned the ball diverters, etc.
I also went ahead, after the problem arose, and reseated the ribbon cables and connectors to the MPU. I checked the trough switches, and optos, and they tested good. I actually checked all the switches. At least the ones I could reach without removing plastics.
Batteries are on a remote location off the MPU. All the boards look perfect. No visible burnt connectors.
Thanks for any help on this.

#7860 4 years ago

Spoke to soon. Problem started again after playing 4-5 games.[quoted image]

Cracked header pin/s.
When after reseating the connectors the game works for a while and then stop again it would indicate a cracked header pin.
Anyway TZ is an old game with BR:s and Capacitors running on over time so changing them and resolder the pins is never a bad idea.

#7861 4 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

Hello TZ people,
I’ve got a new problem that hopefully someone has encountered, and knows a solution.
When I drain a ball, the game begins totaling up bonus points, stops, then goes back into game mode, shortly thereafter a ball search.
During ball search, the game then completes totaling bonus points, and the game continues normally. If I engage the flippers a few times before ball search begins, the scoring completes.
This is an intermittent problem, probably around 40% of the time.
I recently cleaned the playfield, adjusted a few switches, cleaned the ball diverters, etc.
I also went ahead, after the problem arose, and reseated the ribbon cables and connectors to the MPU. I checked the trough switches, and optos, and they tested good. I actually checked all the switches. At least the ones I could reach without removing plastics.
Batteries are on a remote location off the MPU. All the boards look perfect. No visible burnt connectors.
Thanks for any help on this.

Is the outhole kicker working 100% of the times?

#7862 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I agree! It was a selling point for me. I bought from Comet pinball

Hi there, how did you connect these lighted post under the miniplayfield ? Super beatiful! Congratulations!

#7863 4 years ago
Quoted from Giulio:

Hi there, how did you connect these lighted post under the miniplayfield ? Super beatiful! Congratulations!

Thank you! I connected them all to a couple 3 Way splitters and a set of alligator clips and attached to a GI.
Tucked wiring under the mini playfield. I had to remove mini playfield to put other LEDs in but you do not need to remove it for the assembly of the star post lights only.

#7864 4 years ago
Quoted from Giulio:

74012A9D-B8E4-4A78-B398-F16446EA2532 (resized).png74012A9D-B8E4-4A78-B398-F16446EA2532 (resized).png
#7865 4 years ago

#Alby87
Yes the outhole is working 100%.

#7866 4 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

#Alby87

You have a bad switch, or a switch needs adjusting. Specifically, your Left Trough switch needs to be adjusted.

#7867 4 years ago
Quoted from Bestshore:

#Alby87

Also make sure the trough wire gate that prevent the balls from traveling backwards is intact. I was having similar issues and found my wire gate missing.

#7868 4 years ago

What is the best solution to get the batteries off the backboard?

#7869 4 years ago

What is the best solution to get the batteries off the backboard?

There are several solutions -
this guy:
https://www.pinballlife.com/remote-battery-holder-for-williamsbally-wpc-wpc-95-machines.html

but you can also just get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/GFORTUN-Cable-Plastic-Batteries-Holder/dp/B06XW8QC6N/ref=sr_1_7

and unsolder the battery holder, then solder in this replacement.

$20 for the above aint too bad for a plug and play solution though.

#7871 4 years ago

Has anyone got a TZ, with both the Pinbits Gumball light installed and a GI OCD?

If so, please see my post elsewhere: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/club-led-ocd-tips-tricks-thoughts-and-advice/page/14#post-5412004

#7872 4 years ago

Hard to believe it took me over 3 hours just to strip, polish, ultrasonic the parts, etc. this thing. Thought it’d take an hour, ha ha...

1ECCE675-C784-4A43-A069-6BF2378A7D57 (resized).jpeg1ECCE675-C784-4A43-A069-6BF2378A7D57 (resized).jpeg
#7873 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Hard to believe it took me over 3 hours just to strip, polish, ultrasonic the parts, etc. this thing. Thought it’d take an hour, ha ha...[quoted image]

Looks great, nice and shiny! Did you wax the mini PF too or just a Novus like polish?

I still need to pull mine to finish a LED swap, I'm paranoid that I'm going to break it. It's also planking pretty significantly, I might end up doing a swap on mine when I get a bit braver with attempting a full mini PF swap.

#7874 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Hard to believe it took me over 3 hours just to strip, polish, ultrasonic the parts, etc. this thing. Thought it’d take an hour, ha ha...[quoted image]

Gotta get those low profile switches now...

#7875 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Gotta get those low profile switches now...

Do you have low profile switches? I’ve never seen them. Please show if you have them. Thanks in advance

#7876 4 years ago

Thanks, I completely stripped the playfield, used novus and then a few coats of wax. I’m sticking with the original switch covers because, well, I’m on a budget. Trying to shop and rebuild TZ as cheaply as possible. Luckily, I had some flipper rebuild kits, a rubber set and LED set I bought a while back. So I haven’t spent much at all on it, other than a LOT of time....

#7877 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Do you have low profile switches? I’ve never seen them. Please show if you have them. Thanks in advance

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/tzmpskit2.html

#7879 4 years ago

As I know they are not in the business... Since 2015.
A german source is available.

#7880 4 years ago

Almost done!

0816F7EA-B735-4F6B-B159-84E3146A8ED7 (resized).jpeg0816F7EA-B735-4F6B-B159-84E3146A8ED7 (resized).jpeg
#7881 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Almost done![quoted image]

Looks really good.

#7882 4 years ago

They look like this ...reach out to twister I purchased them from him
15791383435382321319369087034450 (resized).jpg15791383435382321319369087034450 (resized).jpg

#7883 4 years ago

Is Twister (?) a supplier for these switches it did he just happen to have a spare GLM kit? As said above GLM are no longer in business sadly.

#7884 4 years ago

I got a set of switches from twister and a shadow upper playfield shroud thst he did in black nickel. Both are amazing. Buy with confidence.

#7885 4 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I got a set of switches from twister and a shadow upper playfield shroud thst he did in black nickel. Both are amazing. Buy with confidence.

Ok, what's the shadow? Not sure I've seen that one...

#7886 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

They look like this ...reach out to twister I purchased them from him
[quoted image]

Wow! Looks nice and clean. Thanks! Nice Example if a modern updated TZ

#7887 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Ok, what's the shadow? Not sure I've seen that one...

Bally "The Shadow" 1994 - one of my go-to favourite machines. Based off the movie starring Alec Baldwin (bit of a flop), which in turn was based off the comics of the same name.

cbcefb3131852992696cb72230de8b5d96edef61 (resized).jpgcbcefb3131852992696cb72230de8b5d96edef61 (resized).jpg
#7888 4 years ago

Hey I'm joining the club new owner. Last night i noticed my left ramp switch was intermittent. Sometimes wasn't starting multiball or enabling the lock. So it's the 2nd switch, not left ramp enter. I believe I found the correct switch on Marco. Anyone know what resistor I will need? I'm pretty new to the pinball repair, going to need to pick up soldering now too. Any tips? Looks like I'll have to be soldering over the playfield.

20200112_170945 (resized).jpg20200112_170945 (resized).jpg
#7889 4 years ago

Go to "switch test" and see if the switch is registering...test with the ball also not only with your finger.
No resitor on the switch but a diode. 1N4004 or similar...basically any standard diode will do the job

#7890 4 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

Anyone know what resistor I will need?

Pretty sure it's a diode, and not a resistor

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4004

diode (resized).JPGdiode (resized).JPG
#7891 4 years ago

Thank you very much. Yes I tested by hand and with a ball. The switch has a lot of left to right wiggle in it, probably time for a new one.

#7892 4 years ago

More of a general question really, but relates to the mini playfield.. using that Twister kit, or the GLM one, is it possible to wire up starpost LEDs to activate on the switch activation, rather than being always on via a connection to GI?

From what I can tell of those starpost LEDs its just a red and black wire, so I have no idea how that would functionally be wired to one of these switch kits to illuminate only when the switch is triggered?

#7893 4 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

Thank you very much. Yes I tested by hand and with a ball. The switch has a lot of left to right wiggle in it, probably time for a new one.

Left / right wiggle probably isn’t the switch. It could be that the switch arm is opened up too much where it attaches to the switch, or the switch screws are loose. A new switch won’t come with the switch arm. Worthy of checking first.

#7894 4 years ago

Also noteworthy, if you loosen the small screws that attach the switch to the bracket, you can adjust the angle of the switch which will effect when it’s activated. Often I’ve found that to be the problem with micro switches, poorly adjusted...

#7895 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

More of a general question really, but relates to the mini playfield.. using that twister kit, or the GLM one, is it possible to wire up starpost LEDs to activate on the switch activation, rather than being always on via a connection to GI?
From what I can tell of those starpost LEDs its just a red and black wire, so I have no idea how that would functionally be wired to one of these switch kits to illuminate only when the switch is triggered?

Twister's kit has an extra switch to operate a 2nd function, as you've described (1 switch to switch harness, 2nd switch for any mod). So it's just an easy connection to starpost light.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/129#post-4625780

#7896 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Also noteworthy, if you loosen the small screws that attach the switch to the bracket, you can adjust the angle of the switch which will effect when it’s activated. Often I’ve found that to be the problem with micro switches, poorly adjusted...

I agree with this. I have seen that the tiny buttons on the microswitch become gummed up, and start to not pop back out and make the audible "click" If that's the case, the switch WILL be intermittent, and no adjusting will fix it.

It's also possible that the 2 screws attaching the switch to the metal bracket are over-tightened. This will also cause the button under the wireform to not pop back out reliably.

#7897 4 years ago

RE: Resets

I had the problem on and off for a long time. Tried recapping the power board, reseating, etc. Many solutions seemed to work for a bit, but the problem would always come back. Hit both flippers and bam... reset. Eventually, I found the suggestion to eliminate the Z connector by soldering and the problem is now 100% gone. The Z connector gets jostled when you reseat or do any of the other changes and they can be brutal on the voltage drop from power to CPU board. No reason not to get rid of it.

FWIW, I also do recommend shopping the power board for general health of the game... 30 yo caps are just not going to be any good. My game never played better than when I did that... flipper strength was as good as new. A solid game starts with steady and strong power. Its like good heart health for your body.

#7898 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I agree with this. I have seen that the tiny buttons on the microswitch become gummed up, and start to not pop back out and make the audible "click" If that's the case, the switch WILL be intermittent, and no adjusting will fix it.
It's also possible that the 2 screws attaching the switch to the metal bracket are over-tightened. This will also cause the button under the wireform to not pop back out reliably.

Good call, I’ve also seen overtightened screws that hindered the switch.

Honestly though, in all of my years collecting, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a truly bad switch. But I’ve only owned a dozen or so games. I did proactively replace them all on my STTNG, but it had been heavily routed...

#7899 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I will look into this also thanks. Sometimes I would bottom out the switch and it wouldn't register, sometimes it would. Switch does have a weird bend to it though.

20200116_093050 (resized).jpg20200116_093050 (resized).jpg
#7900 4 years ago
Quoted from misterman:

I will look into this also thanks. Sometimes I would bottom out the switch and it wouldn't register, sometimes it would. Switch does have a weird bend to it though.[quoted image]

Well that would make me think it’s truly bad. You can remove it from the bracket, remove the switch arm and then test it again. If it’s still intermittent, most likely the switch is truly bad.

Yeah, if it were mine I’d fix the malformed arm..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
Led
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,088 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 302.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/158?hl=bundy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.