IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 304.
#7651 4 years ago

Hello I want to make my Sample game into a prototype game. do you guys know if the revision p.3 game rom has lost and zone and power ball mania. also what features would I loss if I downgraded. Would a gain any features removed in production?
Thank you parker

#7652 4 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

Hello I want to make my Sample game into a prototype game. do you guys know if the revision p.3 game rom has lost and zone and power ball mania. also what features would I loss if I downgraded. Would a gain any features removed in production?
Thank you parker

No. "P" ROM revisions were not "Prototype", they were "Preliminary". All the prototype features (which in software really was only the 3-Magnet control) were taken out before then. "Preliminary" software was sent out on Sample and early Production games.

#7653 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

No. "P" ROM revisions were not "Prototype", they were "Preliminary". All the prototype features (which in software really was only the 3-Magnet control) were taken out before then. "Preliminary" software was sent out on Sample and early Production games.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2684
Here it does say it is a prototype rom. I want the gum ball sign to give you spiral award and the camera to do the jackpot on top of camara too. Just like the early prototype games.
Thank you Parker

#7654 4 years ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

Have owned my TZ for 19+ years and installed a 1st gen graphic on my back board that has now faded 10+ years later. Had to remove the back board to get to the gumball machine and thought now was the time to address the faded graphic. Was wondering if replacing it with a mirror blade type material might be better than a graphic. Does anyone make such a product? or know where I could get mylar like material to fashion my own version?
Thanks for the info,
Al[quoted image]

That topper is waaaaay too much.

#7655 4 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2684
Here it does say it is a prototype rom. I want the gum ball sign to give you spiral award and the camera to do the jackpot on top of camara too. Just like the early prototype games.
Thank you Parker

It is a misconception, and no released ROM worked that way, sorry.

#7656 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It is a misconception, and no released ROM worked that way, sorry.

The playfield was different on the first versions of the games, though! You can buy some of those plastics for installation

#7657 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The playfield was different on the first versions of the games, though! You can buy some of those plastics for installation

Yes and no.
Any sample games that were released with 'Spiral' on the playfield, and the Gumball Sign reading "Shoot Here for Spira" award was modified by a WMS tech - either on-site or at a distrubitor. The tech placed the sticker on the sign, and scraped off the insert and applied a decal that read 'Spiral'.

My game was done on-site at my arcade, only a week after we got the game. And we already had P-3 software in it. The tech forgot the 'Spira' decal for the insert, so he left it blank, and blank it's been ever since.

#7658 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yes and no.
Any sample games that were released with 'Spiral' on the playfield, and the Gumball Sign reading "Shoot Here for Spira" award was modified by a WMS tech - either on-site or at a distrubitor. The tech placed the sticker on the sign, and scraped off the insert and applied a decal that read 'Spiral'.
My game was done on-site at my arcade, only a week after we got the game. And we already had P-3 software in it. The tech forgot the 'Spira' decal for the insert, so he left it blank, and blank it's been ever since.

Yep. That’s what mine has! I removed the gumball sticker and retained it intact for posterity (and also have a replacement plastic just for fun .

The text “spiral” decal is still there. Hm, I need to put some Mylar on it to protect it.

#7659 4 years ago

Anyone know where to get the Blue Clock housing, everywhere I checked is out of stock?

#7660 4 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone know where to get the Blue Clock housing, everywhere I checked is out of stock?

Looks like Pinball Heaven has them https://www.pinball.co.uk/?product=clock-housing-03-8833-blue

#7661 4 years ago

Does anyone have a reliable list of bulbs (GI and inserts) for the game? I've learnt not to trust the Williams manuals for accuracy.

Thanks!

#7662 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Does anyone have a reliable list of bulbs (GI and inserts) for the game? I've learnt not to trust the Williams manuals for accuracy.
Thanks!

I might still have my notes at home somewhere. I make my own list for a game breaking it down with inserts, gi, backbox, and flashers. I write down each insert, bulb base type, color, and lens type. Flex head leds work really well in some spots and sometimes a brighter bulb is better on a large insert. GI is easy since they are all the same. Just count the bulbs and get a few extra in case you missed a few in counting. Backbox also easy to count. Helps to buy a few extra of common bulbs just in case. I then make a order list counting up all the bulbs and bulb types. It's time consuming but you get the best results with ordering just what you need.

#7663 4 years ago

Looking to pick up one of these, is there a check list for function/wear/issues?

#7664 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenix_iii:

Looking to pick up one of these, is there a check list for function/wear/issues?

The test menu provides a way to test the clock and gumball machine. After you empty all the balls, can the game correctly replace them in the gumball machine? Trough eddy sensor (and I’m sorry to say I now forget what that even is) has been problematic too. If you’re paying a premium, expect these issues to be solved already. Play it for 30 minutes and that’s probably the best way to be sure. If you’re not paying a premium, expect lots of issues but the good news is the market for parts for TZ is excellent. Isn’t that part of the fun?

#7665 4 years ago

Made a metallic prismatic back board decal. Works well together with the prismatic flipper mod.

IMG_20191012_142318 (resized).jpgIMG_20191012_142318 (resized).jpgIMG_20191113_211448 (resized).jpgIMG_20191113_211448 (resized).jpg
#7666 4 years ago

I went slightly mad with my TZ, yesterday added:

PinSound PLUS V3.5
Pinball Street Lamp
Illuminated Camera Mod
Illuminated Invader Mod
Ultimate LED Kit
ColorDMD
Flipper Fidelity Complete Speaker System

TZ (resized).jpgTZ (resized).jpg
#7667 4 years ago
Quoted from BloatedToad:

PinSound PLUS V3.5
Pinball Street Lamp
Illuminated Camera Mod
Illuminated Invader Mod
Ultimate LED Kit
ColorDMD
Flipper Fidelity Complete Speaker System[quoted image]

Nice, but I found that that camera really blocked my view of the upper left flipper, so I moved it to the rear of the upper playfield, now I can see it much better...

#7668 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Nice, but I found that that camera really blocked my view of the upper left flipper, so I moved it to the rear of the upper playfield, now I can see it much better...

Really? Mine doesn’t but I’m just over 6’ tall.

#7669 4 years ago

How do you like the pinsound? I can not decide which pin to install mine.

Quoted from BloatedToad:

PinSound PLUS V3.5
Pinball Street Lamp
Illuminated Camera Mod
Illuminated Invader Mod
Ultimate LED Kit
ColorDMD
Flipper Fidelity Complete Speaker System[quoted image]

#7670 4 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

I’ve have it on my TZ and wouldn’t be without it, much better even with the original mix! Have it on a couple of others too.

#7671 4 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

I love it, adds a whole new dimension. Crisp sounds, good bottom end.

#7672 4 years ago
Quoted from algrande:

It’s really grown on me. I was amazed to learn that...

Quoted from Pinwizkid:

TZ was originally slated to be the first game to use the DCS system, but the system was not completed in time, and all of the audio had to be converted to play on the Yamaha YM2151 system at the last minute. Luckily, Chris saved a majority of the DCS audio on a tape which had been buried for 20 years... until now!

...AND that the original DCS music could be experienced with pinsound. I’ve been playing it for a month now and while I miss the original jackpot music a bit, I think the original DCS score is absolutely brilliant. The mix of original low res callouts and amazing new stereo music is a bit jarring, and there are a range of (correctible) timing issues, but I think the good far outweighs the bad.

#7673 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

It’s really grown on me. I was amazed to learn that...

...AND that the original DCS music could be experienced with pinsound. I’ve been playing it for a month now and while I miss the original jackpot music a bit, I think the original DCS score is absolutely brilliant. The mix of original low res callouts and amazing new stereo music is a bit jarring, and there are a range of (correctible) timing issues, but I think the good far outweighs the bad.

I can not imagine this game without the original JACKPOT sound though. I feel that would be a huge deal breaker.

#7674 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

I can not imagine this game without the original JACKPOT sound though. I feel that would be a huge deal breaker.

Takes about 5 seconds to add it back in, not really a big deal

#7675 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Takes about 5 seconds to add it back in, not really a big deal

I was referring to missing the jackpot music, but I do indeed also miss the jackpot sound. As discussed a few pages back, in pinsound it’s more “phase-y” than “boom-y”. I didn’t run across a solution. Little help?

#7676 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

I was referring to missing the jackpot music, but I do indeed also miss the jackpot sound. As discussed a few pages back, in pinsound it’s more “phase-y” than “boom-y”. I didn’t run across a solution. Little help?

If I recall correctly, the thinking was that there's some additional effect being added on top of the original sound. the Pinsound sound files are ripped directly from the game, but there is some additional post-processing that must be happening that is either not common or just not that noticeable so it's not been added. Somebody can just record a game where that sound is played and that can be used instead of the ripped native sound.

For the music that just needs to be reverted back to the original if you want - NBD

#7678 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Done.

Not sure we need a new thread for improvements to the TZ Granner mix but here it is:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-pinsound-improving-the-granner-mix

And in Granner's defense, the DCS mix WAS officially unfinished, and Granner himself has expressed some reservations with how the mixing works on PinSound (on Whitewater in particular). He only got part way through before he had throw it all out and create a new soundtrack for the original hardware. Further, the actual "Granner Mix" really isn't. He provided the DAT tape with all the assets, but someone else pulled everything off the tape and inserted it where they thought the right music went. There are probably a couple of errors (e.g. the jackpot music)

IMO that DCS Pinsound mix in terms of the actual music is a 'best of both worlds' situation. I don't really love the Golden Earring song, so it doesn't play all the time - I replaced it with 2 different soundtracks from the TZ show. Now sometimes when you drain your last ball, the ending theme to the first season plays - it is SPOOKY. Perfect atmosphere. During the game however, the music is pretty rockin', as was intended. The only thing I wish I could do is replace some of the real crap sounding callouts, e.g. Rudy's voice, the 'attention race fans!' and the like. Almost everything else has some analog to be pulled from the show.

#7679 4 years ago

I think I was a little overdue to clean the plastic subway troughs on my TZ...

Pre+Post cleaningPre+Post cleaning

#7680 4 years ago

TZ is the second pin I've owned, and have been learning a lot about maintenance and repair in the last few years. Helps having one of the more complex SS tables to learn with!

I know the slot machine kicker is notorious for being a hard eject to the point of sometimes breaking the scoop welds. If I just hold the right flipper up during the eject, the ball bounces up into the rocket kicker and sometimes all the way to the upper right flipper where I can make the same rocket/hitchhiker shot myself. If I try to dead bounce it to the left flipper, the ball hits between the tip and center so it's really tough to catch on the left. I'm using red flipper rubbers and whites everywhere else, FWIW.

I'm still learning better ball control skills, but I'm curious if this is an issue for anyone else.

#7681 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

TZ is the second pin I've owned, and have been learning a lot about maintenance and repair in the last few years. Helps having one of the more complex SS tables to learn with!
I know the slot machine kicker is notorious for being a hard eject to the point of sometimes breaking the scoop welds. If I just hold the right flipper up during the eject, the ball bounces up into the rocket kicker and sometimes all the way to the upper right flipper where I can make the same rocket/hitchhiker shot myself. If I try to dead bounce it to the left flipper, the ball hits between the tip and center so it's really tough to catch on the left. I'm using red flipper rubbers and whites everywhere else, FWIW.
I'm still learning better ball control skills, but I'm curious if this is an issue for anyone else.

When it breaks, this is what you want.

https://mantispinball.com/product/twilight-zone-slot-machine-scoop/

In terms of how to get control of the ball when it's kicked out, I don't have a reliable way and I think this was Lawlor's (why did it autocorrect to law low? Should we call him that now?) intention. I too get mostly unpleasant results from trying a dead bounce out of the slot. My habit is to perform a drop catch and aim for the left ramp. A live catch would be ideal but I only ever achieve those by accident. Besides, if I could trap the ball on the right flipper, I'd still probably shoot the main ramp rather than attempt a post transfer (much harder on my TZ than on my Earthshaker) as the ramp shot returns the ball to the left flipper anyway for whatever is next.

#7682 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

When it breaks, this is what you want.
https://mantispinball.com/product/twilight-zone-slot-machine-scoop/
In terms of how to get control of the ball when it's kicked out, I don't have a reliable way and I think this was Lawlor's (why did it autocorrect to law low? Should we call him that now?) intention. I too get mostly unpleasant results from trying a dead bounce out of the slot. My habit is to perform a drop catch and aim for the left ramp. A live catch would be ideal but I only ever achieve those by accident. Besides, if I could trap the ball on the right flipper, I'd still probably shoot the main ramp rather than attempt a post transfer (much harder on my TZ than on my Earthshaker) as the ramp shot returns the ball to the left flipper anyway for whatever is next.

Agreed on all points. All Mantis stuff is pretty awesome. 100% worth it. And he ships fast AND is cool about letting you know when stuff is going to be late.

I also do the drop catch.

#7683 4 years ago

Hi,
I had a strange problem yesterday, both magnets on the mini playfield did not respond during the play, but when I went on test, switchs and magnets were fine?? any idea?? thanks.

#7684 4 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

Hi,
I had a strange problem yesterday, both magnets on the mini playfield did not respond during the play, but when I went on test, switchs and magnets were fine?? any idea?? thanks.

Make sure your Mini Playfield Enter switch is registering balls properly. If the game doesn't see this activate, and has not marked the switch as being bad yet, then the magnets will not activate.

#7685 4 years ago

My game only recognizes the Powerball when it's released from the gumball machine. If it kicks out of the out hole, the game doesn't know its a power ball. I take it there must be another sensor somewhere that isn't working?

#7686 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

My game only recognizes the Powerball when it's released from the gumball machine. If it kicks out of the out hole, the game doesn't know its a power ball. I take it there must be another sensor somewhere that isn't working?

Yes..in the ball trough small board located there...check how close the ball is sitting next to the sensor...sometimes you need to replace the wire connectors and solder the wires to the board directly
...i believe if the metal ball is sensed the light is red on the other small, board its wired to.

#7687 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Are you getting a "Switch 26" error in testing? There's a eddy board/proximity sensor (Assembly A-16534) near the shooter lane ball trough that works like a metal detector. Check to make sure it's not disconnected or needing adjustment where it is detecting the metal balls in the trough and not the metal trough itself. There's similar one (A-16535) on the plastic subway leading to the slot machine scoop:

A-16535 with nearby cable disconnectedA-16535 with nearby cable disconnected

#7688 4 years ago

Methos The ball sensor pictured above is the one that is working one your machine - it'll sense a metal ball coming from the gumball or camera or deadend, so when the ball triggers the microswitch in the trough but the above sensor doesn't sense a metal ball then it is the Powerball.

Switch 26 (where your issue is) is made up of 2 small PCBs, one is located at the right-hand end of the shooter trough. This switch is a common issue with TZ. There are improved replacement boards available or you can repair/improve the original if you have the skills

#7689 4 years ago

You probably just need to reseat the sensor to the board, seems like it works is way loose every so often, probably from trough vibrations.

#7690 4 years ago

When the ball goes into the rocket kick out, does it go straight to the camera when ejected or not? thanks.

#7691 4 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:When the ball goes into the rocket kick out, does it go straight to the camera when ejected or not? thanks.

not to the camera but the "hole" below (is it the hitchhiker?)

#7692 4 years ago

Correct, it ends up in the passage below. Hitchhikers which feeds the bumpers.

#7693 4 years ago

Ok, thanks, so I need to change the position of the kickback system, to have the ball thrown in the passage, will see if it's possible or not...

#7694 4 years ago
Quoted from lanfeust:

When the ball goes into the rocket kick out, does it go straight to the camera when ejected or not? thanks.

There is an adjustment at the rocket that controls how the ball is aimed. It should shoot the ball thru the hitchhiker into the bumpers.

#7695 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Yes..in the ball trough small board located there...check how close the ball is sitting next to the sensor...sometimes you need to replace the wire connectors and solder the wires to the board directly
...i believe if the metal ball is sensed the light is red on the other small, board its wired to.

I had some issues...found cold solder joints at the connector pins. Flowed some new solder and all is now fine again.

#7696 4 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

There is an adjustment at the rocket that controls how the ball is aimed.

Yes, there is a ball guide that you can easily move to aim the ball shooting out of the rocket kicker.

#7697 4 years ago

I've seen some pics where people have changed the lower inserts above the flippers to appear lime green instead of the yellow - any idea how this is accomplished? I'm guessing 3 or 4SMD Clear blue bulbs?

#7698 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Methos The ball sensor pictured above is the one that is working one your machine - it'll sense a metal ball coming from the gumball or camera or deadend, so when the ball triggers the microswitch in the trough but the above sensor doesn't sense a metal ball then it is the Powerball.
Switch 26 (where your issue is) is made up of 2 small PCBs, one is located at the right-hand end of the shooter trough. This switch is a common issue with TZ. There are improved replacement boards available or you can repair/improve the original if you have the skills

Thank you.

#7699 4 years ago

Does anyone know where I could track down one of the original Tracy Toys slot machines? I meant to get one years ago when they were making them but got out of pinball for a while. Maybe someone has an extra on hand? Not sure what happened to Tracy Toys. I'm also interested in finding a brass clock millions mod. These are probably long gone, but you never know.

#7700 4 years ago

Twilight Zone pin. See the cut black wire, i cant find the other end, the grey black wires\plug is from the clock. I think the black is the 12 v for the clock. but i cant find other end, lol.

blkwire (resized).jpgblkwire (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 304.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/154?hl=phoenix_iii and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.