IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 305.
#7601 4 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Both cool.
I've been experimenting. My red buttons limit the options though.[quoted image]

You can buy the clear ones from pinball life. Mine were originally orange.

#7602 4 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Both cool.
I've been experimenting. My red buttons limit the options though.[quoted image]

I believe PBL sells clear ones for pennies.

#7603 4 years ago

Anyone with a 3rd magnet in their TZ have problems with the multiball staging? I’ve got one that just seems to do nothing no matter what. All optos and magnets verified working and the 3rd magnet MB staging setting is set to ON in the home rom.

#7604 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Anyone with a 3rd magnet in their TZ have problems with the multiball staging? I’ve got one that just seems to do nothing no matter what. All optos and magnets verified working and the 3rd magnet MB staging setting is set to ON in the home rom.

Powerball have to cycled (out of gumball, then inside again) since last reset/power on/menu exit, and you have to have the factory setting for multiball. Third magnet works when you have one ball locked and you start multiball via ramp

#7605 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

The 3rd magnet doesn’t work until the game knows where the Powerball is. This means you need to have a game where you get the Powerball and hit it into the gumball machine. The next multi ball you get will lock all 3 balls on the magnets individually.

#7606 4 years ago
Quoted from kevinleedrum:

Mine are pretty simple.
[quoted image]

Great thinking! Love those

#7607 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

I thought you also need to play the powerball mania so the machine knows the powerball is in the gumball machine.

#7609 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Presumably check_switch_26 could tell us, if he feels he is able to?

According to my notes, ROM versions L-5, L-6, L-7, L-8 and L-9 were created. Likely, not all of them made it out to the field.

After L-9, the 9.X numbering went into effect.

--Ted

#7610 4 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

According to my notes, ROM versions L-5, L-6, L-7, L-8 and L-9 were created. Likely, not all of them made it out to the field.
--Ted

Thank you for everything Ted!

#7611 4 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

--Ted

Thank you for the info! Always had the curiosity of the jump between L-4 and 9.2, now it's more clear

#7612 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Thank you for everything Ted!

+1

TZ is so awesome. Thanks!

#7613 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

I thought you also need to play the powerball mania so the machine knows the powerball is in the gumball machine.

Been through many powerball manias and many multiballs and still no staging.

#7614 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Do you have the additional optos installed? There's at least one set of optos that should be installed along with the 3rd magnet

#7615 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

It will also ONLY stage if you start multiball with NO MORE than ONE ball in the lock.

You also have to enable it in the Adjustments.

#7616 4 years ago

I might be going mad but I turned on my TZ this morning to check something, and whilst the Grand Champion score was right, the other ones were default scores. I'm almost certain they weren't the last time I used it as it would be pretty fantastical to have a GC score with none below it. The game booted without complaint or error (so not "Factory Settings Restored" or anything). Any ideas?

#7617 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I might be going mad but I turned on my TZ this morning to check something, and whilst the Grand Champion score was right, the other ones were default scores. I'm almost certain they weren't the last time I used it as it would be pretty fantastical to have a GC score with none below it. The game booted without complaint or error (so not "Factory Settings Restored" or anything). Any ideas?

Are you still using AA batteries? Weak batteries can cause issues. You start losing some settings while others remain. You can swap them while the game is tuned on if you're careful. That lets you retain the settings / scores you have left.

#7618 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I turned on my TZ this morning to check something, and whilst the Grand Champion score was right, the other ones were default scores.

The high scores are cleared by default every 1500 games or so by default. That is a setting.

#7619 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Check the High Score Reset Every setting in HSTD Adjustments.

#7620 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The high scores are cleared by default every 1500 games or so by default. That is a setting.

This is correct. Also, Grand Champion score does not reset. (Although this may not be universal across all Williams games. My memory is a little hazy on that detail after all these years. And maybe GC does reset if you reset high scores manually?)

--Ted

#7621 4 years ago

So staging works with only 1 ball lock. Wow... no wonder they pulled this feature from the production games.

#7622 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

So staging works with only 1 ball lock. Wow... no wonder they pulled this feature from the production games.

For the record, it was removed because the 3rd magnet was cut for cost savings.

Ted put the code back in, and due to beta testing difficulties with eth 'toss and catch' part, it was simplified to only support one locked ball. The rest have to be shot from the autofire.

#7623 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

For the record, it was removed because the 3rd magnet was cut for cost savings.
Ted put the code back in, and due to beta testing difficulties with eth 'toss and catch' part, it was simplified to only support one locked ball. The rest have to be shot from the autofire.

Exactly... costed out because it’s barely a feature if it only works in a very specific instance.

#7624 4 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Exactly... costed out because it’s barely a feature if it only works in a very specific instance.

The code was never able to be tested thoroughly and the bugs worked out with more than 1 locked ball before the magnet was removed - and when Ted re-added it years later, he never went back to work out said bugs because of the DB who released 9.4CH

#7625 4 years ago

Hi all, Couple months back I was able to pickup another tz. The cabinet is shot so I'm going to restore it. Do any of you know where I can get all of the inner cabinet stickers for it?

#7626 4 years ago

Here’s my TZ machine! I have just finished a total restoration job on this machine over a 1.5 month period and I’m super happy with the final result!
New cabinet decals/sideboards
Makrolon playfield protector
Full led conversion
NO mods installed
everything was taken apart, cleaned, rebuilt.

56E6FC85-8C1C-431A-96E1-50636B714140 (resized).jpeg56E6FC85-8C1C-431A-96E1-50636B714140 (resized).jpegA4B7883F-CEFC-41AA-BD35-353942175C2E (resized).jpegA4B7883F-CEFC-41AA-BD35-353942175C2E (resized).jpeg5A7FA7EE-1B15-411F-A4B9-3A4495348715 (resized).jpeg5A7FA7EE-1B15-411F-A4B9-3A4495348715 (resized).jpeg8CFBDF54-ED4C-4FDA-9016-F6C81B3F293F (resized).jpeg8CFBDF54-ED4C-4FDA-9016-F6C81B3F293F (resized).jpeg75344D31-2CB7-4AA2-9587-3639426397A6 (resized).jpeg75344D31-2CB7-4AA2-9587-3639426397A6 (resized).jpeg4A3B30C2-0746-47B9-9E43-EDDBCF55C225 (resized).jpeg4A3B30C2-0746-47B9-9E43-EDDBCF55C225 (resized).jpeg76777940-9133-401E-8081-683CCE6540EE (resized).jpeg76777940-9133-401E-8081-683CCE6540EE (resized).jpegD7EFBBC8-3723-4F74-B9A8-C07B552C12FC (resized).jpegD7EFBBC8-3723-4F74-B9A8-C07B552C12FC (resized).jpeg188FF978-B0F2-4B8A-9CAE-BDD050C8A222 (resized).jpeg188FF978-B0F2-4B8A-9CAE-BDD050C8A222 (resized).jpeg
#7627 4 years ago

One of the rainbow LEDs on my german-pinball Ingo clock board has stopped working properly. It only cycles red to off, whereas the other 3 cycle colours without ever turning off completely. I guess the green and blue sub-LEDs (?) have stopped working.

I rebuilt the clock a while ago and it is working perfectly apart from this.

Is it safe to take the front of the clock apart to get to the LEDs without taking the clock out of the game? Will it stay on 12 a clock dead like it is now?

Also where do I get these rainbow LEDs from? I only had 4 when I bought it.

Thanks in advance.

#7628 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

One of the rainbow LEDs on my german-pinball Ingo clock board has stopped working properly. It only cycles red to off, whereas the other 3 cycle colours without ever turning off completely. I guess the green and blue sub-LEDs (?) have stopped working.
I rebuilt the clock a while ago and it is working perfectly apart from this.
Is it safe to take the front of the clock apart to get to the LEDs without taking the clock out of the game? Will it stay on 12 a clock dead like it is now?
Also where do I get these rainbow LEDs from? I only had 4 when I bought it.
Thanks in advance.

Reach out to Ingo, I recall reading a post a ways back where he said he had them special made for his board....

#7629 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Reach out to Ingo, I recall reading a post a ways back where he said he had them special made for his board....

Second this. I had one of my rainbows go bad, and Ingo fixed me up fine. I'm sure he'll do the same for you.

#7630 4 years ago

Thanks both. Can the LEDs be switched without having to remove the clock from the game?

#7631 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Thanks both. Can the LEDs be switched without having to remove the clock from the game?

Probably, but its not too difficult to remove. While you're in there you can lubricate the gears too. (use appropriate lube of course)

#7632 4 years ago

New to the club (thanks Steve). 153 pages to look at and no Key Posts, So I have a couple of questions that have prolly been asked or addressed before, so please bear with me.

Just making sure- clock always goes to midnight when powering game on?

Any suggestions or pics of LED lighting in the backbox to get the most out of it color wise, without it looking like one of those color-bombed eBay kits?

The top habit trail seems to give me a bit of a bounce often when it first hits the diverter(?) that lowers it to the playfield. What are you guy doing to address the bounce? Some of that blue Stern dead rubber?

I believe I read that 9.4h is the ROM to get for home, is that correct? Game currently has L3- any big differences?

I want to say I remember playing someone's TZ that had some sort of lit up backboard decal or? Is there one, or am I not remembering it correctly?

I don't remember seeing those gray switch covers on the mini pf, and there was a game HEP was working on a bit ago where he was mounting them on the underside. Is there an actual kit/mod for this or is it completely custom? While I'm on it, how does the mini pf come off- waiting on a manual to arrive.

and lastly (for now)- is there a Goodway to light the gumball machine? And a source for NOS or repro Clear plastics for gumball machine?

Thank you~

#7633 4 years ago

I can answer some of these fairly quickly.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

clock always goes to midnight when powering game on?

Yes.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

The top habit trail seems to give me a bit of a bounce often when it first hits the diverter(?) that lowers it to the playfield. What are you guy doing to address the bounce? Some of that blue Stern dead rubber?

A lot of people stick an adhesive magnet on the diverter. Search for "tz diverter magnet".

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I believe I read that 9.4h is the ROM to get for home, is that correct? Game currently has L3- any big differences?

See http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/dotcom/tech/roms/twilight.html. There's the LITZ cheat, pause combo, and more.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I want to say I remember playing someone's TZ that had some sort of lit up backboard decal or? Is there one, or am I not remembering it correctly?

I'm not sure about a lit-up backboard, but there are light-up speaker panels available. Edit: Actually, I do think I remember seeing backboards with lit holes like stars, but I don't remember where I've seen it.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I don't remember seeing those gray switch covers on the mini pf, and there was a game HEP was working on a bit ago where he was mounting them on the underside. Is there an actual kit/mod for this or is it completely custom?

I think you're talking about the GLM (Great Lakes Modular) switch kit.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

is there a Goodway to light the gumball machine? And a source for NOS or repro Clear plastics for gumball machine?

Pinbits sells a kit for this that happens to include a modified clear divider plastic piece.

#7634 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

https://www.free-play.se/en/modding/pinball-mods/twilight-zone-diverter-magnet.html

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

9.4h is the latest. This shows the fixes of the various releases up to 9.4 http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/dotcom/tech/roms/twilight.html
I can't find the list of enhancements in 9.4h but the main things are LITZ practice mode and pause mode (catch the ball on a flipper and press the "Extra Ball" button while holding the flipper button and it'll hold the ball on the flipper for 15 minutes).

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Twilight Zone PlexiGlass Custom Backboard and Custom PCB PDI - L.E.D. Light Strip For Plexi Backboard from Pinball Decals https://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/TZ_Page.html

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I don't remember seeing those gray switch covers on the mini pf, and there was a game HEP was working on a bit ago where he was mounting them on the underside. Is there an actual kit/mod for this or is it completely custom?

That's the way the machines came from the factory but OPs sometimes never put them back on after fixing the machine. Marco sells them - they are in small, medium and large sizes
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=switch+cover+vinyl+gray

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

While I'm on it, how does the mini pf come off- waiting on a manual to arrive.

You can download the manual from https://www.ipdb.org/files/2684/Bally_1993_Twilight_Zone_Operations_Manual_OCR_searchable.pdf

#7635 4 years ago

kevinleedrum haha you were clearly faster than me - nice work!

#7636 4 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

https://www.free-play.se/en/modding/pinball-mods/twilight-zone-diverter-magnet.html

9.4h is the latest. This shows the fixes of the various releases up to 9.4 http://www.robertwinter.com/pinball/dotcom/tech/roms/twilight.html
I can't find the list of enhancements in 9.4h but the main things are LITZ practice mode and pause mode (catch the ball on a flipper and press the "Extra Ball" button while holding the flipper button and it'll hold the ball on the flipper for 15 minutes).

Twilight Zone PlexiGlass Custom Backboard and Custom PCB PDI - L.E.D. Light Strip For Plexi Backboard from Pinball Decals https://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/TZ_Page.html

That's the way the machines came from the factory but OPs sometimes never put them back on after fixing the machine. Marco sells them - they are in small, medium and large sizes
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=switch+cover+vinyl+gray

You can download the manual from https://www.ipdb.org/files/2684/Bally_1993_Twilight_Zone_Operations_Manual_OCR_searchable.pdf

I have one of the backboards that light up - but it's not the Pinball Decals one. This is a homemade mod with a black metal sheet and pinholes poked inside, and a long length of EL Wire inside these specially routed paths on the back. Pretty well done, unfortunately EL Wire does dim after a few years and mine is starting to go just slightly...

aah, here it is: http://home.myfairpoint.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinballmachineaccessories/id25.html

#7637 4 years ago

GLM is no longer in business, there is a guy on here from France (forget the name) that sells basically the same kit (which I installed) for the upper playfield switches. I like them, very clean look and really sensitive to the ball.

#7638 4 years ago

Message @twister, he was making the switch kits last I knew. They were about $100.

#7639 4 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all of the info and links everyone! Cheers!

#7640 4 years ago

Out of stock

Quoted from kevinleedrum:

I can answer some of these fairly quickly.

A lot of people stick an adhesive magnet on the diverter. Search for "tz diverter magnet".

With all of the magnets already in game, wont these mods increase magnetism on the balls? Gotta figure the balls will need to be changed out pretty often. Nobody has tried a dead rubber on the other side of the diverter to deaden then impact?

#7641 4 years ago

TZ has like what, 4 electromagnets in it? What’s one more magnet gonna hurt?

Besides only certain kinds of balls are susceptible to magnetism, and it’s really only an issue on the gravity feed trough games.

#7642 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

With all of the magnets already in game, wont these mods increase magnetism on the balls?

Inexpensive carbon-steel balls are the ones that don't magnetize. I use the cheap ones from Marco, and they have never magnetized in years of use in my TZ, TAF, Metallica, and LotR.

#7643 4 years ago

It is important to have proper gear when working on pinball machines.

DSC04269 (resized).JPGDSC04269 (resized).JPG
#7644 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

New to the club (thanks Steve). 153 pages to look at and no Key Posts, So I have a couple of questions that have prolly been asked or addressed before, so please bear with me.
Just making sure- clock always goes to midnight when powering game on?
Any suggestions or pics of LED lighting in the backbox to get the most out of it color wise, without it looking like one of those color-bombed eBay kits?
I don't remember seeing those gray switch covers on the mini pf, and there was a game HEP was working on a bit ago where he was mounting them on the underside. Is there an actual kit/mod for this or is it completely custom? While I'm on it, how does the mini pf come off- waiting on a manual to arrive.
and lastly (for now)- is there a Goodway to light the gumball machine? And a source for NOS or repro Clear plastics for gumball machine?
Thank you~

We have a lit up backboard, bought the decal from pinball pimp I believe.

https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fjurassic-park-pinball-led-strip-trough-light-kit-byw-pnb-led-str

#7645 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Out of stock

With all of the magnets already in game, wont these mods increase magnetism on the balls? Gotta figure the balls will need to be changed out pretty often. Nobody has tried a dead rubber on the other side of the diverter to deaden then impact?

you really need the magnet, it just doesn't deaden the impact, it holds onto the ball too, but just enough though to allow it to fall off. People have used cheaper magnets you can get at home depot and use double sided tape ( I used velcro as the tape didn't hold that well) while your waiting for the other to come back in stock. It really is a necessary mod IMHO.

#7646 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

you really need the magnet, it just doesn't deaden the impact, it holds onto the ball too, but just enough though to allow it to fall off. People have used cheaper magnets you can get at home depot and use double sided tape ( I used velcro as the tape didn't hold that well) while your waiting for the other to come back in stock. It really is a necessary mod IMHO.

Menards also carries the magnets. (usually in a little bin caddy with other chain and cable types of things)

#7647 4 years ago

In, I need to get the right side gi working.
20191031_164215 (resized).jpg20191031_164215 (resized).jpg20191031_164224 (resized).jpg20191031_164224 (resized).jpg

#7648 4 years ago

Have owned my TZ for 19+ years and installed a 1st gen graphic on my back board that has now faded 10+ years later. Had to remove the back board to get to the gumball machine and thought now was the time to address the faded graphic. Was wondering if replacing it with a mirror blade type material might be better than a graphic. Does anyone make such a product? or know where I could get mylar like material to fashion my own version?
Thanks for the info,
Al

60341DD4-4C6B-4702-91FF-F3300CE9DC40 (resized).jpeg60341DD4-4C6B-4702-91FF-F3300CE9DC40 (resized).jpeg
#7649 4 years ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

Have owned my TZ for 19+ years and installed a 1st gen graphic on my back board that has now faded 10+ years later. Had to remove the back board to get to the gumball machine and thought now was the time to address the faded graphic. Was wondering if replacing it with a mirror blade type material might be better than a graphic. Does anyone make such a product? or know where I could get mylar like material to fashion my own version?

shanetastic and BLACK_ROSE have both done it by cutting mirrored acrylic, I believe.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirror-blades-install-video-b_r#post-587647
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-who-has-1-and-what-have-you-done-to-it#post-34581

#7650 4 years ago

Has anyone else had a problem with the SUBWAY powerball sensor? Ive seen that tons of people have issues with the trough sensor. Mine was missing so I went straight to the replacement trough sensor and it has worked perfectly. My subway sensor appeared to work, and worked in test, but I get random false powerball positives positives when the ball goes through the subway. I replaced the subway sensor with a new adjustable one from here: http://tanglestech.com/TPP-1037
and adjusted it to be as sensitive as possible without locking on (the LED wouldn't go back off once activated) the false positives reduced in frequency but did not go away. Anything else I can check?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,205 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/153?hl=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.