IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,204 posts in this topic. You are on page 150 of 305.
#7451 4 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

Does any one have cabinet decals I want to restore my cabinet. And don’t want to spend 250 for decals

C'mon. It's a TZ! Spare no expense!

#7452 4 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

Does any one have cabinet decals I want to restore my cabinet. And don’t want to spend 250 for decals

I can ship for $249

#7454 4 years ago

Still looking for lower right and left side cabinet decals..

#7456 4 years ago

Go to ipdb.org, search your game and find the manual as pdf. Find the piece in the manual and Google its part number and you usually find some stores having it.

#7457 4 years ago
Quoted from Parker_tz:

https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/twilight-zone-pinball-cabinet-decals-set/?currency=USD

$214 shipped.

#7458 4 years ago

I know this is on the specific side but does anyone have any photos of the wiring for the left/main/plastic ramp? Doesn't have to be super detailed, Id mostly just like to know the factory wiring paths so I can recreate it as close as possible. Bonus points of course for connectors and wire colors. I haven't checked yet to see if those are detailed in the manual like the board connections.

#7459 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I know this is on the specific side but does anyone have any photos of the wiring for the left/main/plastic ramp? Doesn't have to be super detailed, Id mostly just like to know the factory wiring paths so I can recreate it as close as possible. Bonus points of course for connectors and wire colors. I haven't checked yet to see if those are detailed in the manual like the board connections.

Let me know if you need any others

14909302-DAB9-4559-89C2-DDD613AAF437 (resized).jpeg14909302-DAB9-4559-89C2-DDD613AAF437 (resized).jpeg33A1179D-FE0A-4D62-B216-BE8E5E246A95 (resized).jpeg33A1179D-FE0A-4D62-B216-BE8E5E246A95 (resized).jpeg47F74ED6-7415-48EA-B44F-33132EB50BD8 (resized).jpeg47F74ED6-7415-48EA-B44F-33132EB50BD8 (resized).jpeg594B0675-84B6-44C0-BB0F-E99CEE983AC6 (resized).jpeg594B0675-84B6-44C0-BB0F-E99CEE983AC6 (resized).jpeg62A4C3AA-2496-483E-A859-BFDD7999DF25 (resized).jpeg62A4C3AA-2496-483E-A859-BFDD7999DF25 (resized).jpeg7CBCA105-B89E-44A8-A208-C5C53742D08B (resized).jpeg7CBCA105-B89E-44A8-A208-C5C53742D08B (resized).jpeg
#7460 4 years ago

I haven’t seen this board in other twilight zone machines and just curious if somebody could tell me what it is used for?

25450F34-E341-4E53-BBC0-51C2A4A0F329 (resized).jpeg25450F34-E341-4E53-BBC0-51C2A4A0F329 (resized).jpeg
#7461 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I haven’t seen this board in other twilight zone machines and just curious if somebody could tell me what it is used for?[quoted image]

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/williams-bally-pinball-dmd-high-power-1886273007

#7462 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I haven’t seen this board in other twilight zone machines and just curious if somebody could tell me what it is used for?[quoted image]

Ya, it's a "piggy" board to provide the high power to the DMD when the high power fails on the DMD controller board. It's a plug and play fix....

#7463 4 years ago

LED question: should I be using actual red LEDs under the red inserts? I’ve tried both warm and cool white LEDs but both just give a sort of washed out look that doesn’t do the inserts justice. Thoughts?

#7464 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

LED question: should I be using actual red LEDs under the red inserts? I’ve tried both warm and cool white LEDs but both just give a sort of washed out look that doesn’t do the inserts justice. Thoughts?

I always color match my inserts but use white for my yellow and orange inserts. I’ve used white for reds, blues and greens before but like color matched better. I also use frosted domed LEDs but that’s personal preference

#7465 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Try it. Red are not as bright as white, but you can also try less bright white ones. Frosted is a good idea if using white. Skip yellow and orange LEDs altogether, they do not produce enough light to be worthwhile

#7466 4 years ago

I color match my inserts to the color of the inserts and have found cool white the best for yellow inserts and pink for orange. I agree orange and yellow just don't provide enough brightness. I also use frosted LEDs on the top of the playfield. This let's the LEDs not glare back at you so much during playing the game.

#7467 4 years ago

Orange bendies are bright enough. I color match most, and if I can’t, warm white frosted all the way. TBH, warm white frosted across an entire older machine looks stock but brighter to me. Cool white can look good on modern game, but I think it looks like garbage on older machines that were made with tungsten. It can be a big annoying swap when I add an older machine to the line.

#7468 4 years ago

Thank you all for the LED info! I’ll try out some of the suggested matches and let you know what I think.

#7469 4 years ago

Keep in mind, guys..

There are two different colors of red inserts in the game. You'll lose this small color change by using colored LEDs.

#7470 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Keep in mind, guys..
There are two different colors of red inserts in the game. You'll lose this small color change by using colored LEDs.

So there's the door red, and then a different red for the outlanes and Extra Ball?

#7471 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

i use frosted 'sunlight' whites under every insert - that way you preserve the original insert colour perfectly and every bulb has the same brightness and attack/decay characteristics (with LED OCD). I will use coloured bulbs in places above the playfield though, like the piano Red/Yellow and the Slot machine.

A lot easier when ordering bulbs too!

#7472 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

So there's the door red, and then a different red for the outlanes and Extra Ball?

Yuppers!
The Special is a darker, richer red. The door panels are a little more lighter. (I'm no color expert, I don't know the actual terms used to describe it....)

#7473 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yuppers!
The Special is a darker, richer red. The door panels are a little more lighter. (I'm no color expert, I don't know the actual terms used to describe it....)

Left to right:
Amber
Light Red
Red

Insert (resized).JPGInsert (resized).JPG
#7474 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me where these plastics go? Can't seem to find them in any pictures out there.

The only small clear one I was able to figure out was on the ball gate by the rocket.

FJIMG_20190927_173342 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20190927_173342 (resized).jpg
#7475 4 years ago

The 3 others are not used.

#7476 4 years ago

Is the bigger square one not used?

#7478 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

My game only uses the small one near the ball gate.

#7480 4 years ago

Welcome back with another account yet again ALEXSMENDES

#7481 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Not used.

#7482 4 years ago

Hello. Anyone had this issue?

Please help me. I was putting side blades on my Twilight Zone and when I fired it back up to start a game, the upper left (piano shot) flipper stays energized. You have to start a game to get it to stay up, not just power on. Also in coil test all flipper functions work, but the hold test of the upper left does nothing.

By reading another thread I'm taking it is less likely a transistor issue, and more mechanical? I lean that way since I had the playfield gyrating to get the inner artwork on and I may have bumped something. Please see the photo below, but everything seems good to me.

Thanks!

20190928_090656 (resized).jpg20190928_090656 (resized).jpg
#7483 4 years ago

It's hard to tell from the picture but is your lamp socket base/tab/wire touching the top of the flipper coil bracket? While I'm not sure if that would cause the problem you're seeing, it could cause other issues if it is touching. I'd look at moving the lamp socket away from the top of that coil.

#7484 4 years ago
Quoted from Homebru:

Hello. Anyone had this issue?
Please help me. I was putting side blades on my Twilight Zone and when I fired it back up to start a game, the upper left (piano shot) flipper stays energized. You have to start a game to get it to stay up, not just power on. Also in coil test all flipper functions work, but the hold test of the upper left does nothing.
By reading another thread I'm taking it is less likely a transistor issue, and more mechanical? I lean that way since I had the playfield gyrating to get the inner artwork on and I may have bumped something. Please see the photo below, but everything seems good to me.
Thanks![quoted image]

Sounds like it was shorted to me. I believe the hold voltage is the middle connection on the coil. I'd reflow that for starters. So it doesn't stay on in test mode? It could be the little transistor that's gone. I'd suggest consulting pinwiki.

#7485 4 years ago

Thanks. I will look to make sure the lamp socket is not close.

I got it behaving again. A little reseating of the opto board/blade/button play did it. Thanks for your insights!

#7486 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

It WAS the left "Spiral" sign, which was removed from prototype/early sample games.

#7487 4 years ago

Hi all. I have a question about the pinbits? Gumball light. It has both red/white leds with a 4 position plug with red/black and 2 yellow. I picked up the mod and it did not have instructions. I have played around with diff wire connections but was curious if someone knows the preferred placement of the connection wires under the playfield. Thanks

#7488 4 years ago
Quoted from Binger:

Hi all. I have a question about the pinbits? Gumball light. It has both red/white leds with a 4 position plug with red/black and 2 yellow. I picked up the mod and it did not have instructions. I have played around with diff wire connections but was curious if someone knows the preferred placement of the connection wires under the playfield. Thanks

I know they have directions on the site... which seems to be down. I reached out to them tho, hopefully that will be addressed soonly.

It’s been so long since I installed mine I wouldn’t even know what to tell you.

#7489 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

I know they have directions on the site... which seems to be down. I reached out to them tho, hopefully that will be addressed soonly.
It’s been so long since I installed mine I wouldn’t even know what to tell you.

Site is up for me.
http://www.iobium.com/installing_the_gumball_lamp_boar.htm

If it is down in the future this should work:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190830033420/http://www.iobium.com/installing_the_gumball_lamp_boar.htm

#7491 4 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring for the 3 standup targets surrounding the piano? I don't feel like I have enough wires coming out of the harness. I have a broken yellow wire that doesn't seem to have a home though...

#7492 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring for the 3 standup targets surrounding the piano? I don't feel like I have enough wires coming out of the harness. I have a broken yellow wire that doesn't seem to have a home though...

Let me know if you need any better pictures. This should be the yellow and two red targets.

Yellow target has 2 Green w/blue stripe to one side. 2 white w/yellow stripe to the other.
Red target #1 has 2 Green 2/blue stripe to one side. 2 white w/green stripe to the other.
Red target #2 has basically two yellow jumpers to Red target #1 (one wire to each)

20190930_153409 (resized).jpg20190930_153409 (resized).jpg20190930_153425 (resized).jpg20190930_153425 (resized).jpg

#7493 4 years ago

Oh OK so the two red targets are sharing logic? That explains it all perfectly. Thanks!

#7494 4 years ago

Both red targets are the "Power Payoff" targets - wired in parallel. (Hit either target, get Power Payoff award when lit.)

#7495 4 years ago

Thanks to those that offered help on the pinbits gumball wiring.

I am finally stumped. After hours of reading threads and research, I have to ask for some insight here. The issue is with clock.... here is where we are at:
Ingo opto board
All optos check out ok per led’s/cleaned
Clock does run... motor board drives clock forward.
Connector on bottom of clock not broken... has continuity back to plug.
All boards serviced recently by Clive @ COC

In test mode the clock just runs forward. Using +/- buttons does not slow down or change direction of clock. In fact dmd says clock not running— yet it is. Optos are not registering to change the time.

My gut says we are back to some sort of board/connection issue in backbox. All boards were serviced by Coin op Cauldron recently. I checked all ribbons etc.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas? I thought the Path of Adventure on IJ was an infuriating toy.... this thing takes the prize.
Thanks
N

#7496 4 years ago

Hi everyone,
Strange departure from my recent list of never ending "where does this go" questions as I finish off my restore:

So I had noticed a while back when playing emulated TZ (pinball arcade, VP) that the jackpot sound effect was just... wrong? It didn't match my memory of playing TZ as a kid. I figured it was because of the emulation and because its not original hardware, and I suppose this could still be the explanation. Ive only recently gotten my TZ to the point where it can be playtested. I was not too shocked to find out that my game too plays the "wrong" jackpot sound. (since it is running a pinsound board, although with the original sound pack)

Here is how the original sounded that my brain wants to hear:

And here is the emulated sound and my game:

Since I'm lucky enough to have a pinsound board, In theory I can just find or create a recording of the correct sound and make my game use it. so here is the question:

Is this a result of emulation, or was the official sound changed in a ROM revision? I could see where it might be as there is a much higher potential for distortion in the original.
If its a rom revision, does anyone know when the switch was made? and for the game trivia buff in me, why?

I can definitely do my own research on this one but I figured I'd ask in case someone knows the answer. Really hoping for ROM revision because otherwise getting a good enough recording of the original is going to be difficult.

#7498 4 years ago
Quoted from Binger:

In test mode the clock just runs forward. Using +/- buttons does not slow down or change direction of clock. In fact dmd says clock not running— yet it is. Optos are not registering to change the time.

The motor and clock optos have nothing in common, except they share the same connector on the power driver board. Maybe your connector is off by a pin or in the wrong spot? Actually the manual mentions they go the "8-Driver board in the backbox" so check connections there too.

Regarding motor forward/reverse -

Quote:
The clock is operated through a D.C. Motor Control Board, pt #A-16120, (located UNDER the playfield at approximately the same position as the clock) and solenoid drives 42 and 43 (located on the 8-Driver Board in the backbox). With only drive 43 turned ON, the clock moves forward. With only drive 42 turned ON, the clock moves in reverse. With both drives ON, or both drives OFF, the clock is stopped.

You can see the motor driver board on page 3-22 of the manual and DIR/1 and DIR/2 signals go to diodes D2 and D3 (the side of the diode with the line), so you could use a meter and check those in test mode to see if they are working as described above or not. (one on and the other off for forward and swapped for reverse)

#7499 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Hi everyone,
Strange departure from my recent list of never ending "where does this go" questions as I finish off my restore:
So I had noticed a while back when playing emulated TZ (pinball arcade, VP) that the jackpot sound effect was just... wrong? It didn't match my memory of playing TZ as a kid. I figured it was because of the emulation and because its not original hardware, and I suppose this could still be the explanation. Ive only recently gotten my TZ to the point where it can be playtested. I was not too shocked to find out that my game too plays the "wrong" jackpot sound. (since it is running a pinsound board, although with the original sound pack)
Here is how the original sounded that my brain wants to hear:

And here is the emulated sound and my game:

Since I'm lucky enough to have a pinsound board, In theory I can just find or create a recording of the correct sound and make my game use it. so here is the question:
Is this a result of emulation, or was the official sound changed in a ROM revision? I could see where it might be as there is a much higher potential for distortion in the original.
If its a rom revision, does anyone know when the switch was made? and for the game trivia buff in me, why?
I can definitely do my own research on this one but I figured I'd ask in case someone knows the answer. Really hoping for ROM revision because otherwise getting a good enough recording of the original is going to be difficult.

I've never heard your Jackpot sound before. (Or if I have, it's been SOO LONG that I just can't remember. I'm not a fan of it, honestly.)
Can you pull ALL your Sound ROMS and send me copy of each, so I can compare code/checksums?

#7500 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I've never heard your Jackpot sound before. (Or if I have, it's been SOO LONG that I just can't remember. I'm not a fan of it, honestly.)
Can you pull ALL your Sound ROMS and send me copy of each, so I can compare code/checksums?

as I said I'm using a Pinsound board so I don't have any actual ROMS. I'm using the original and reorchestrated packs available here:
https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-alpha-dmd/twilight-zone/

Not sure where the original pack was dumped from.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,204 posts in this topic. You are on page 150 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/150 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.