twilight-zone-escape-clause-youre-the-devil-1_resize.gif
IMG_5096 (resized).jpeg
20240227_093351 (resized).jpg
Eddy board (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 8.44.39 AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 5.00.06 PM (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 302.
#7251 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Exactly the strategy I've been playing with great success - but when I miss it on the drop in, I'm frantically scrambling to figure it out from there. I actually kinda like that scrambling - but not when I miss LITZ because of it.
Which reminds me: I think my #1 best feeling when playing TZ is starting LITZ from the power field. There are lots of ties for #1.1, but starting LITZ by defeating The Power is my #1.

Is there something different about starting LITZ from the power field? Or is this more of a special challenge thing?

#7252 4 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Bonus multiplier , can someone explain how the bonus multiplier is activated during play? I noticed it the other day during a game and never noticed it before. Rule sheet says its activated by the right in lane "when its lit" lit for the dead end, spiral and left ramp. Can someone shed some light here...I'd like to get this going again!

Yes - The right inlane lights it for a timed shot. While it is lit, you are also awarded *2* Rockets if you shoot the ramp.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is there something different about starting LITZ from the power field? Or is this more of a special challenge thing?No difference. LITZ is the same if you start it via Piano, Slot Machine, or Power.

#7253 4 years ago

Thanks Lior, the building mod looks great.

662B40DE-BE0B-4A8F-999A-AEB426CC4474 (resized).jpeg662B40DE-BE0B-4A8F-999A-AEB426CC4474 (resized).jpeg
#7254 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is there something different about starting LITZ from the power field? Or is this more of a special challenge thing?

It's just my personal favorite/most pinhead-satisfying way of starting LITZ over the other shots to start it. Don't know why anyone would think it would start some kind of different LITZ.

#7255 4 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Exactly the strategy I've been playing with great success - but when I miss it on the drop in, I'm frantically scrambling to figure it out from there. I actually kinda like that scrambling - but not when I miss LITZ because of it.
Which reminds me: I think my #1 best feeling when playing TZ is starting LITZ from the power field. There are lots of ties for #1.1, but starting LITZ by defeating The Power is my #1.

That is very satisfying. I also love getting the first extra ball while hitting the multiball restart. You get the Talky Tina exploding ball immediately followed by the door exploding. Cranked up with a sub, it's epic.

1 week later
#7256 4 years ago

Hi All,

Our TZ Translite is getting old and has a few blemishes, it's like 150 in dog years. I searched around and only could find a translite on ebay and a mirrored one. All the typical vendors seem to be out of stock.

ebay.com link: BALLY Twilight Zone Pinball Machine Translite

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/tz-backglass/

The mirrored one looks pretty cool, but I can't find anyone mentioning it in the TZ Owners thread. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two vendors or have another they would recommend?

Thanks!
Mike

#7257 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

Hi All,
Our TZ Translite is getting old and has a few blemishes, it's like 150 in dog years. I searched around and only could find a translite on ebay and a mirrored one. All the typical vendors seem to be out of stock.
ebay.com link » Bally Twilight Zone Pinball Machine Translite
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/tz-backglass/
The mirrored one looks pretty cool, but I can't find anyone mentioning it in the TZ Owners thread. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two vendors or have another they would recommend?
Thanks!
Mike

I have the CPR backglass. It's quite nice. Illuminated in the backbox, it's a bit darker than my translite.
I prefer it but I can imagine using brighter leds in the backbox.

#7258 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

CPR backglass

Reznnate Which is the CPR Backglass? I haven't found that one.

Thank you for your reply!

#7259 4 years ago
Quoted from mjruser:

reznnate Which is the CPR Backglass? I haven't found that one.
Thank you for your reply!

It's the second link in your post. CPR = Classic Playfield Reproductions

#7260 4 years ago

I have the mirrored backglass. It is MILES better than the reproduction translites floating around. I have one of those and it is just garbage. Blurry, too dark, color registration issues.

Sadly. The CPR mirrored backglass is beautiful in person, in the light. It falls apart in a dark room - it is WAY too dark. The LEDs I have in my backbox are not nearly sufficient. I am going to try super bright LEDs, but overall I am disappointed for the price. $250 and it doesn’t light up?

#7261 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sadly. The CPR mirrored backglass is beautiful in person, in the light. It falls apart in a dark room - it is WAY too dark. The LEDs I have in my backbox are not nearly sufficient. I am going to try super bright LEDs, but overall I am disappointed for the price. $250 and it doesn’t light up?

I have it also, and agree that it doesn't let enough light through. I was going to try to get brighter LEDs also, but it seems like it will take a lot of light to get it back up to how the original translight looked.

#7262 4 years ago

Rdoyle1978 and mjannusch thank you for your replies, I guess I'll hold off until I hear your thoughts with brighter LEDs. Please message me if you make the swap to brigher leds and like the mirrored one after that. It sure looks cool with the mirroring.

Cheers!
Mike

#7263 4 years ago

I'd also like to know if brighter leds make a difference. I need a new translite and was contemplating the CPR upgrade.

#7264 4 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

I'd also like to know if brighter leds make a difference. I need a new translite and was contemplating the CPR upgrade.

I’m in the same boat for STTNG. I’d actually prefer a translite but it sounds like most of the reproductions are low quality. Does anyone make true to original quality translites?

#7265 4 years ago

Does anyone have experience with the one from pinballdecals.eu? They say in there description that theirs let more light through than other reproductions. But of course anyone can claim that...

But being located in the EU myself, I was thinking about trying it.

https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/twilight-zone-pinball-translite/

#7266 4 years ago

I need a translite too, if anyone has a nice original that would like to sell let me know! Thanks!

I need help on installing the Robby the robot and TV mods, anyone knows where do I have to connect their red and black cables ??

#7267 4 years ago

There's several different Robby and at least two TV mods. Without seeing the cabling it's almost impossible to know how it connects up.

#7268 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Does anyone have experience with the one from pinballdecals.eu? They say in there description that theirs let more light through than other reproductions. But of course anyone can claim that...
But being located in the EU myself, I was thinking about trying it.
https://pinballdecals.eu/shop/twilight-zone-pinball-translite/

I can't speak to their translites, but I recently ordered cabinet decals from them and they are very nice.

#7269 4 years ago

Twilight zone for sale. Dayton Ohio area.

#7270 4 years ago

Hello to those Lost in the Zone!

Going to upgrade to a ColorDMD, did you go with LED or LCD?

Thanks!
Mike

#7271 4 years ago

I went with LCD on all of my pins. I like the pixel "smoothing" that goes along with LCD, as compared to LED. And the LCDs run cooler and use less power.

More a matter of preference I guess.

#7272 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I went with LCD on all of my pins. I like the pixel "smoothing" that goes along with LCD, as compared to LED. And the LCDs run cooler and use less power.

I didn't realize that the lcd used less power.

Thanks!
Mike

#7273 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Gotta second this. I also did LCD on my TZ, as I like the smoothing as well. Of course, you always have the option of having it "look" like an LED, so that in an of itself is a plus; with LED you don't have that choice.

#7274 4 years ago

I have the LCD also and have it set to dots. Bought TZ with the color DMD. I do not like the smooth look.

#7275 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies all. I appreciate it! We've had this TZ for 21 years and just started to mod it a bit and want to be sure to make the right choice!

All we've done so far is LED's and the gumball led kit with gumballs of course. Really want the TV w/sound on ebay, but pinsound/new speakers and the ColorDMD have to come first.

Cheers!
Mike

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7276 4 years ago

Is there a correct way to level the game to prevent center ball drain down when the ball exits the loop

#7277 4 years ago
Quoted from Crunch:

Is there a correct way to level the game to prevent center ball drain down when the ball exits the loop

I believe this is the intended design, a you're supposed to divert the ball with the upper left flipper

#7278 4 years ago
Quoted from Crunch:

If your game is level, and set to a slope you like, and it drains STDM, then adjust your metal wall. It's screwed into the playfield, and a couple of the screw holes are enlongated that lets you adjust it.

#7279 4 years ago

For my first pinball machine, I was previously looking at only buying a brand new modern machine as I prefer fresh and new , but the Twilight Zone caught my attention just because it's #4 in the top 100.

How does the number of game modes, actions, and mechanical complexity of the playfield on a Twilight Zone compare to something new from JJP or American? I was looking at something like Wonka or Oktoberfest.

#7280 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

For my first pinball machine, I was previously looking at only buying a brand new modern machine as I prefer fresh and new , but the Twilight Zone caught my attention just because it's #4 in the top 100.
How does the number of game modes, actions, and mechanical complexity of the playfield on a Twilight Zone compare to something new from JJP or American? I was looking at something like Wonka or Oktoberfest.

Of any game from the 90s, TZ probably comes closest to the complexity of those newer machines in terms of mechs as well as gameplay. No lcds and so forth. But there is a lot going on in TZ. Now you didn’t ask this next part but I’ll share that My personal taste is that the newer machines have gone overboard and there is too much techno wizardry at the expense of solid straight-up gameplay. If you haven’t done played TZ try to find one to see if you like it.

#7281 4 years ago
Quoted from Crunch:

Well is your game level now, side to side? Use a level and level your game. Use an inclinometer to set the pitch to 6.5 degrees if you want to follow the factory recommended pitch. If you still have stdm issues check if anything is screwey with the ball path on the pf. I don’t notice this as a particular issue on my TZ.

Or maybe I don’t notice it because I usually hit the ball with the upper left flipper. You can also hold the upper left flipper up as ball is coming down to bounce it off the right side of pf down to left flipper.

#7282 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Of any game from the 90s, TZ probably comes closest to the complexity of those newer machines in terms of mechs as well as gameplay. No lcds and so forth. But there is a lot going on in TZ. Now you didn’t ask this next part but I’ll share that My personal taste is that the newer machines have gone overboard and there is too much techno wizardry at the expense of solid straight-up gameplay. If you haven’t done played TZ try to find one to see if you like it.

TZ and STTNG probably are the most complex games from that era. JJP games are definitely phenomenally complex, (not sure about Stern? I’m not as familiar), but the shots also have to be there, as you said. I’m a big fan of all the JJP games but there’s no question the best of the B/W years still hold up

#7283 4 years ago

Perhaps it's also worth remembering that pinballs are in some ways designed to drain the ball. It's not uncommon for failed ramp shots to drain SDTM, for example. They are designed to take money.

As said above the loop might well be "intended" to send the ball down the middle of you miss flipping it with the upper right flipper. I note also that I've occasionally had a fast left outlane drain if I've flipped it at the wrong time etc.

#7284 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

TZ really can't compare to new games when it comes to code depth, display quality, light shows, etc. JJP games even take all that to a higher level. That said, modern games tend to get pretty complicated and quantity is not always equal to quality. TZ is from the golden era of the early 90's and a huge classic. Modes are pretty basic but there is a lot more to gameplay than just playing out modes. It's my favorite game but not everyone loves it. I recommend playing any game first before deciding to buy one.

#7285 4 years ago

So out of the blue yesterday my TZ decided to start power cycling while playing. Shortly during the first ball it just shuts off and restarts. I’ve read about the Z connector and reseating all of the connectors. Any other fixes anyone can recommend? It doesn’t seem to be flipper related.

#7286 4 years ago
Quoted from JFink8222:

So out of the blue yesterday my TZ decided to start power cycling while playing. Shortly during the first ball it just shuts off and restarts. I’ve read about the Z connector and reseating all of the connectors. Any other fixes anyone can recommend? It doesn’t seem to be flipper related.

Did you add electrical mods?

Good starting point is : http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#7287 4 years ago

No mods on my game. Straight factory

#7288 4 years ago

That PinWiki link really is the place to look. It walks you through the steps and gives you solutions.

If you're feeling lazy, throw a Kahr board at it. It will probably fix your issue, but it's considered a band aid solution. I'll admit tho, I have one in my TZ.

#7289 4 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

That PinWiki link really is the place to look. It walks you through the steps and gives you solutions.
If you're feeling lazy, throw a Kahr board at it. It will probably fix your issue, but it's considered a band aid solution. I'll admit tho, I have one in my TZ.

I had to do the Kahr fix in my TZ also. Has been working OK ever since.

#7290 4 years ago

I was ready to buy Kahr daughterboard.

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

But I reseated everything I could get my hands on including the ROMS and it's been good ever since. I'm slowly but surely replacing all the old Molex connectors as many of ours were pretty ugly.

#7291 4 years ago

Start by checking the 5V supply at the test point, and then at U6. They should be almost identical, and above or very close to 5V

#7292 4 years ago

Kahr board is a good temp fix, especially since its a quick plug n play. Had one in my Shadow for a while until the rest of the power supply ultimately failed much more spectacularly... and that’s the one issue: it can potentially mask a larger issue. Will now be rebuilding properly with new caps, rectifiers, regulator and pins.

#7293 4 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a powerball trough sensor (A-16533)? New or used. I already have the eddy sensor board (A-16534) but everywhere seems to be sold out of both.

GS-TZA-16533 (resized).jpgGS-TZA-16533 (resized).jpg
#7294 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Anyone know where I can get a powerball trough sensor (A-16533)? New or used. I already have the eddy sensor board (A-16534) but everywhere seems to be sold out of both.[quoted image]

You can buy a set of TZ trough sensor boards from http://tanglestech.com/Twilight-Zone--Trough-Proximity-Eddy-Sensor--Replaces-A-16534-and-A-16528-Switch-26_p_36.html

#7296 4 years ago

Thanks! Ordered.

You were apparently correct thanks!. Though its under a different part number than I thought.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16528

Still cheaper to get the upgraded board set from AU.

#7297 4 years ago

Hi All,
Just got TZ back in the house. Took me a while but glad to get one back. Missed it. I was thinking of putting the tv mod in. There is a few out there. What is the best one for the beat price? Is it hard to install? Thanks!

#7298 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Just got TZ back in the house. Took me a while but glad to get one back. Missed it. I was thinking of putting the tv mod in. There is a few out there. What is the best one for the beat price? Is it hard to install?

We've had ours in and out of storage over the last 21 years, so I know how you feel.

I think this is the slickest and best TV mod out there. I've been eyeing it for quite some time, but the wife has a keen eye on our checkbook after most recent pinball purchase

ebay.com link: Twilight Zone Pinball mod TV with VIDEO playback NEW 2019 version

He also has one with sound.

Cheers!
Mike

#7299 4 years ago

Thanks Mike! That one does look really nice. I believe it is the same one that is in Pinside market. I went ahead a pulled the trigger. My wife is going to get me but it's going to be a really cool mod. Thanks again!

#7300 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Thanks Mike! That one does look really nice. I believe it is the same one that is in Pinside market. I went ahead a pulled the trigger. My wife is going to get me but it's going to be a really cool mod. Thanks again!

Did you opt for the one with sound or not?

Cheers!
Mike

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lebanon, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus
Other
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 15,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 302.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/146?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.