IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 138 of 305.
#6851 5 years ago

This board seems to have been replaced in the not too distant past, but still was giving me the broken clock error. Looking forward to installing Ingo's upgrade board.

clock 1 (resized).jpgclock 1 (resized).jpg
clock 2 (resized).jpgclock 2 (resized).jpg

#6852 5 years ago

Ingo’s clock really is the way to go. Best replacement available.

#6853 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

This board seems to have been replaced in the not too distant past, but still was giving me the broken clock error. Looking forward to installing Ingo's upgrade board.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That board looks great. Doubt it was your issue.

#6854 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Just a quick plug for Ingo and his replacement clock board. My clock started acting wonky and I decided to replace the clock board. I bought a replacement off of Ebay after I searched at the usual places and couldn't find one. I received the board and it didn't work on my machine. I contacted the seller and was advised that I would need to do a modification to the minute clock hand to make it work properly. I advised that I didn't want to modify the hand as the board was advertised as working. They were good about it and returned my money when I sent the board back.
In comes Ingo to the rescue. After the Ebay issue, I did some more research and found the Ingo board. I ordered one (a white one which looks awesome). He was awesome to work with. Gave me a great deal on it and shipping from Germany it arrived in less than a week. Installed it and it works perfectly. No more ding, ding, ding....CLOCK IS BROKEN error. Very happy with my purchase. Thanks again Ingo.

I had that problem with the same board...Ingo's replacement is terrific. Fixed my Clock is Broken issue. Quick shipping and great communication too.

#6855 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

I had that problem with the same board...Ingo's replacement is terrific. Fixed my Clock is Broken issue. Quick shipping and great communication too.

Shame what's happened with his collection -but I'm glad he's still shipping that clock! It's the only board that works properly with GIOCD too.

#6856 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

A live & learn moment for me. I am posting so hopefully someone else may avoid the same mistake. I should have started with some simple green or something lighter first to remove the glue residue....[quoted image]

I have a couple of prototype "mirror" clock faces and also the clear lens for the front of the clock if you are looking for something different. These are cut from an acrylic mirror, where the light illuminates the characters on the face:
tz-clock-lenses (resized).jpgtz-clock-lenses (resized).jpg

#6857 5 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I have a couple of prototype "mirror" clock faces and also the clear lens for the front of the clock if you are looking for something different. These are cut from an acrylic mirror, where the light illuminates the characters on the face:
[quoted image]

That’s cool! Do you have a photo of those installed?

#6858 5 years ago

Here is the Twilight Zone clock face with the standard insert using the blue 12-LED carpet lighting board.

tz face (resized).jpgtz face (resized).jpg

Lettered board in place:

mirror_clock_assembly (resized).jpgmirror_clock_assembly (resized).jpg

#6859 5 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I have a couple of prototype "mirror" clock faces and also the clear lens for the front of the clock if you are looking for something different

PM sent...

#6861 5 years ago

While playing some today I realized that the lamp below the "Double Light Hood" plastic (located where the cross-over chute ends near the left flipper) never was lit. As I was wondering when it was supposed to be lit I checked the manual (both paper variant and online pdf) but neither shows that lamp at all. Checked through the lamp matrix and can't find it there either. It's not listed as a flasher either.

Thought it was supposed to be a GI lamp and ran the GI light tests but still totally dead. My current lamp is a LED and sure it could be broken, so guess next step will be to remove the glass and try with another lamp. Still, I'm interested in knowing when it is supposed to light, all the time or?

Can anyone spread some light on this issue? ;P

#6862 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

While playing some today I realized that the lamp below the "Double Light Hood" plastic (located where the cross-over chute ends near the left flipper) never was lit. As I was wondering when it was supposed to be lit I checked the manual (both paper variant and online pdf) but neither shows that lamp at all. Checked through the lamp matrix and can't find it there either. It's not listed as a flasher either.
Thought it was supposed to be a GI lamp and ran the GI light tests but still totally dead. My current lamp is a LED and sure it could be broken, so guess next step will be to remove the glass and try with another lamp. Still, I'm interested in knowing when it is supposed to light, all the time or?
Can anyone spread some light on this issue? ;P

If you're meaning the yellow hood between the dual-left-inlanes, it's GI. Should always be lit.

#6863 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If you're meaning the yellow hood between the dual-left-inlanes, it's GI. Should always be lit.

Yes, that's the one. Ok, will try replace lamp ASAP and if that isn't working I guess I got bad cables or solder points.

By the way, most mods seem to come with alligator clips for easy mount/unmount. I'm not really comfortable with those clips, it feels like they could fall off from vibrations over time and being of metal cause a short somewhere else. Currently I have two mods that I mounted but not connected electrically, because of this issue. I'm thinking of adding a pair of connectors on the cables (for easy removal when cleaning and such) and solder the ends as a more "permanent" solution.

I'm just curious, what do most people do? Use the clips? Am I making a problem of something that never occur?

#6864 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Yes, that's the one. Ok, will try replace lamp ASAP and if that isn't working I guess I got bad cables or solder points.
By the way, most mods seem to come with alligator clips for easy mount/unmount. I'm not really comfortable with those clips, it feels like they could fall off from vibrations over time and being of metal cause a short somewhere else. Currently I have two mods that I mounted but not connected electrically, because of this issue. I'm thinking of adding a pair of connectors on the cables (for easy removal when cleaning and such) and solder the ends as a more "permanent" solution.
I'm just curious, what do most people do? Use the clips? Am I making a problem of something that never occur?

Stop adding shit, play the game.

#6865 5 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

The alligator clips aren’t really an issue - they very rarely come off. Typically mods are not soldered on, just in case an owner doesn’t like the mod and can more easily remove it. That seems to be changing though; people are just sticking with the mods

I will say that alligator clips make it easier to fix a mod which is having a problem. I recently had to remove something from my TZ which was not working, and it would have been a pain to desolder

#6866 5 years ago

People talk about alligator clips coming off and shorting on something but I can honestly say I've never seen one even close to coming off. Unless you clipped it right on the end or there was tension on the wire, or you just felt like dropping the playfield from a height (why?) I don't think it would be an issue.

#6867 5 years ago

I don’t like alligator clips because they are ugly as hell. Soldering in is also problematic as depening on the wire route you may make future servicing more difficult.

I usually build a small connector to tie into the harness. If there is something nearbt with a connector already can build an Y or just add in where it fits best. That way it’s still easily removed when needed and looks like it belongs.

Spend the extra 5 bucks on a few molex connectors. Besides then the next guy won’t have to guess where to hook it back into.

8B9E41AC-F82F-4C9B-A37F-E772CDD170D3 (resized).jpeg8B9E41AC-F82F-4C9B-A37F-E772CDD170D3 (resized).jpeg
#6868 5 years ago

I'm going to be adding some molex connectors as well. Are you able to use the same size pins for every location, or is a mix of sizes required? I'm wondering about .062 vs .093 for this.

#6869 5 years ago

I would have a preference for Molex connectors where possible too. A lot of people, myself included, don't have the skills or confidence to start crimping and working out what type of connector is needed, wire configuration etc though.

Also, what do you do about mods that clip to GI?

#6870 5 years ago

I decided to follow my guts; cut the mod cables in half and installed molex connectors using a crimping tool. The alligator clips also had to go and I soldered the other end to the proper places below the PF. All working and it feels great, knowing they can also be easily removed if needed.

Also fixed the GI that wasn't working, it was actually the LED that was broken. When I tried to remove it from the lamp holder the LED cap broke off completely. First time a LED actually physically breaks for me (and not only bad contact from the smalll contact legs).

#6871 5 years ago

Hi
The vertical wood plate at the end of the playfield is missing on my TZ.
Can anyone give me the dimensions of this plate?
The height and thickness. So I will be able to build a new one.
Thanks

#6872 5 years ago
Quoted from Ben38:

Hi
Thanks

The backboard? Behind the gumball machine / ramp / etc?

#6873 5 years ago

Alligator clips are a joke. I remove them and solder immediately. I can't fathom anyone having an issue with solder. If I was to sell a machine and a potential buyer complained about having to solder, I'd politely show him the door. It literally takes <5 minutes to set up, desolder a connection, and clean up.

Pinball machines require a lot of soldering. My advice, for what it's worth, is to get used to and embrace that idea. All that being said, I have added connectors for some jobs where more frequent removal may be needed. This is pretty rare though.

#6874 5 years ago

I stand by my previous comment. I can count on no hands the number of times an alligator clip has actually fallen off wherever it was attached to. The spectre of clips falling off and shorting on something is rather overdramaticised.

Obviously given the choice I would always choose a Molex connector, but I'm not going to lose sleep over the odd croc clip here or there.

Also I would dispute that every owner of a machine would need (or indeed want) to break out a soldering iron to be able to own a machine. Plenty of people just want a machine that plays, and call out people where needed for maintenance.

#6875 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The backboard? Behind the gumball machine / ramp / etc?

Yes, this one.

#6876 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I stand by my previous comment. I can count on no hands the number of times an alligator clip has actually fallen off wherever it was attached to. The spectre of clips falling off and shorting on something is rather overdramaticised.
Obviously given the choice I would always choose a Molex connector, but I'm not going to lose sleep over the odd croc clip here or there.
Also I would dispute that every owner of a machine would need (or indeed want) to break out a soldering iron to be able to own a machine. Plenty of people just want a machine that plays, and call out people where needed for maintenance.

Call someone when a coil wire falls off? Ridiculous and lazy if you ask me...

#6877 5 years ago

Looking for a new translight planetary’s been back ordered for two months now what are my other options? Ty

#6878 5 years ago

Option is a new backglass from CPR

#6879 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

A live &amp; learn moment for me. I am posting so hopefully someone else may avoid the same mistake. I should have started with some simple green or something lighter first to remove the glue residue. Instead I used some liquid goof off and roasted this plastic in about 5 minutes. I was relieved to see that Pinbits has some sort of replacment, and I also picked up their door flasher upgrade while shopping.
[quoted image]

Don't worry - looks like that was a repo part anyways... as it doesn't have the plastic posts attached like the original

#6880 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

People talk about alligator clips coming off and shorting on something but I can honestly say I've never seen one even close to coming off. Unless you clipped it right on the end or there was tension on the wire, or you just felt like dropping the playfield from a height (why?) I don't think it would be an issue.

The problem is not as much 'random falling off' but people accidentally knocking them off, or around moving stuff around and create shorts

They become a big snag hazzard... or people don't secure them from the start.

Tacking something onto an existing solder log is very easy.

#6881 5 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

Option is a new backglass from CPR

Anyone buy one yet? I am curious how they look and worth the price.

#6882 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I have seen the BOP and SoF ones in person installed in games and can say they're both really awesome.

#6883 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

There is almost no way they look as crappy as the Planetary ones - I was specifically warned about the quality, and bought one anyway, and it was WORSE than described

#6884 5 years ago
Quoted from Ben38:

Hi
Thanks

Check my post 5865 in this thread. I had the same issue. The plywood is 3/4” thick and it is 6 1/2” tall. The width is the same as the playfield.

#6885 5 years ago

Ordered the CPR translight hopefully it is worth the $310

#6886 5 years ago
Quoted from Ijpinball:

Ordered the CPR translight hopefully it is worth the $310

Post some pics - I want to replace my godawful PPS one

#6887 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Check my post 5865 in this thread. I had the same issue. The plywood is 3/4” thick and it is 6 1/2” tall. The width is the same as the playfield.

Thanks a lot for the informations ! I will have a look to the post you suggest.

#6888 5 years ago
Quoted from Ben38:

Thanks a lot for the informations ! I will have a look to the post you suggest.

No problem but I told you the worng thickness. It should be 1/2".

#6889 5 years ago

I wanted to give a shout out to Ingo, who sent me his clock replacement board. I think it took less than a week ,which was a pleasant surprise.

I finally summoned the courage to take the clock off the game and install the new clock board. Wow!!! It was surprisingly easy! The credit dot is gone...after a year, I am such a procrastinator. Very easy to install. I am not sure that it makes any difference when installing the OPTOs, but I referenced his website and it looked like the chamfered edge was to the outside. I powered up the game and " clock is broken" is no longer in the test report, and the clock advances to the correct time in the attract mode. I am very pleased and Ingo- thank you .

#6890 5 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I wanted to give a shout out to Ingo, who sent me his clock replacement board. I think it took less than a week ,which was a pleasant surprise.
I finally summoned the courage to take the clock off the game and install the new clock board. Wow!!! It was surprisingly easy! The credit dot is gone...after a year, I am such a procrastinator. Very easy to install. I am not sure that it makes any difference when installing the OPTOs, but I referenced his website and it looked like the chamfered edge was to the outside. I powered up the game and " clock is broken" is no longer in the test report, and the clock advances to the correct time in the attract mode. I am very pleased and Ingo- thank you .

Thanks mate for the feedback ... and I learned a new englsh word, I have never heard before ..."chamfered" ... should improove my installation guide

#6891 5 years ago

Ingo is a great fellow pinsider! A fast and friendly transaction for his board. I highly recommend him!best quality out there!

#6892 5 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Ingo is a great fellow pinsider! A fast and friendly transaction for his board. I highly recommend him!best quality out there!

Seconded. And Ingo deserves all our support after his years of time spent designing the perfect clock mod - and his awful misfortune earlier this year.

#6893 5 years ago
Quoted from Antennaejim:

Thirded! Not only is his clock board perfection, but he stands behind it 100% with support if anything should go amiss. If you are on the fence about upgrading your clock board, do not hesitate! Rest assured that your clock problems will disappear instantly.

#6894 5 years ago

Seatmandan.. Why the down votes? Ingo makes a great replacement.

#6895 5 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Seatmandan.. Why the down votes? Ingo makes a great replacement.

I think he said his Ingo board arrived DOA and is now sitting on a shelf

#6896 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I think he said his Ingo board arrived DOA and is now sitting on a shelf

I suppose that’s the mature and intellectual way to go about it.

#6897 5 years ago

Picking up my TZ this week, hope to be a member of this misfit toys club soon, but on another note, following this thread on alligator clips and molex connectors, I've used these posi tap connectors when I installed my auto car starter this winter as I hate those crimp on ones often used in the auto parts/ add on accessories. These are really simple and you can remove them and only leave a small hole behind (in the insulation) and no soldering. Not sure how you all feel about these. Here is an Amazon link, but I find them a little bit cheaper on ebay. https://www.amazon.com/Posi-Tap-Connectors-through-Gauge-Fuseholders/dp/B009RPDOAM/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2

#6898 5 years ago

Part of the club now for about a month after picking up a TZ from fellow pinsider @arcadebrothers!

While cleaning up, changing to Titans, replacing slot target and magnets, and some other stuff I found what looked like the end of a screw slightly sticking up out of the playfield behind the upper left flipper in the ball path to the camera shot. After removing the flipper mechanism it turns out it is roll pin. It can't be lowered into the playfield as it hits a flipper coil bracket screw. Pics are after I pushed it out some.

Is this meant to be there?

20190308_234902 (resized).jpg20190308_234902 (resized).jpg20190308_235159 (resized).jpg20190308_235159 (resized).jpg
#6899 5 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Part of the club now for about a month after picking up a TZ from fellow pinsider arcadebrothers!
While cleaning up, changing to Titans, replacing slot target and magnets, and some other stuff I found what looked like the end of a screw slightly sticking up out of the playfield behind the upper left flipper in the ball path to the camera shot. After removing the flipper mechanism it turns out it is roll pin. It can't be lowered into the playfield as it hits a flipper coil bracket screw. Pics are after I pushed it out some.
[quoted image][quoted image]

flipper alignment pin? Just tap it down and file it off so it can be flush on the pf?

Can someone do me a favor and measure what the distance/width in mm is across the opening of the camera shot when the flipper is up. ie. how wide the shot is.

I'd recently sold my tz so I can't do it. I want to use the measurement against another machine.

#6900 5 years ago
Quoted from Barr993:

Part of the club now for about a month after picking up a TZ from fellow pinsider arcadebrothers!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I removed the flipper plate blocking it, then took the roll pin out. It could affect ball travel and scuff them up a fair amount too. Hole is still there to help align the flipper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.50
There are 15,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 138 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/138?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.