twilight-zone-escape-clause-youre-the-devil-1_resize.gif
IMG_5096 (resized).jpeg
20240227_093351 (resized).jpg
Eddy board (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 8.44.39 AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 5.00.06 PM (resized).png
IMG_9941 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,087 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 302.
#6501 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks for the feedback....I appreciate it....that being said I'm not sure how much work I'm willing to do The good news is mine already has upgraded speakers and sub, but in my opinion the sound still sucks.....sounds like the only real option is a pin sound board....

you can always accept that its an early 90's game and enjoy it for what it is.

#6502 5 years ago

I've got a Flipper Fidelity sub and speakers in my TZ and think it sound fine? The only real criticism I'd have is that if you crank it up too high the little amp can't really take it and it starts to cut out.

I keep hearing about PinSound but unless you can have identical music and sounds I don't think I'd go for it. The TZ music and sounds are iconic.

Marvin said it better than I could.

#6503 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I've got a Flipper Fidelity sub and speakers in my TZ and think it sound fine? The only real criticism I'd have is that if you crank it up too high the little amp can't really take it and it starts to cut out.
I keep hearing about PinSound but unless you can have identical music and sounds I don't think I'd go for it. The TZ music and sounds are iconic.
Marvin said it better than I could.

It may be the Flipper Fidelity system? I know that on my all-stock system, I can crank it so loud my neighbors can hear it, and you'll bleed from your nose.

#6504 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

issues are not with pinsound itself, the hardware is excellent. Issues are you have to make or acquire the sound yourself. This is hit or miss, there is one that is the same as original but with better clarity. there are also ones with custom sound that, in my mind are the equivalent of colored GI. Just because you can does not mean you should. I'm sure the authours of the alternates think they did a great thing though.

The ones on the pinsound forum are about 4 years old. TZ is the reason I bought a pinsound originally, and IMO it is a must-have. I’ll record some on mine, see if you like it. It won’t be super evident as far as the quality vs being there in person, but you can compare the original game sounds I still use with the new ones and you can make the call

#6505 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

why would I do that The sound sucks

#6506 5 years ago

As others have said, crap files will produce crap sound through thousand dollar speakers. Pinsound won't make a difference unless you have better files, and as far as I know, they do not exist. The only sounds that do are the alternate sounds they made for DCS, but they are crap in my opinion. Get a sub and enjoy the crackly 90's sound. To me, it is all character, and I would likely leave it if there were better versions.

#6507 5 years ago

Blades!

43707575020_1b44212041_k (resized).jpg43707575020_1b44212041_k (resized).jpg
#6508 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

My right ramp, crossover wireform, and diverter are energized when the power is on. I was doing a little maintenance and kept getting shocked when touching these metal parts. It's not a lot of current but still concerning. Only issue I have with the game right now is the sound. Sound volume keeps dropping off. Slapping the cab brings it back. I tried reseated the audio board connectors and press the chips in. That helped some. Not sure if that is related. Maybe I have a major ground issue? Never had a problem like this. Any ideas of what to check?

i started having issues with my fish tales sound going in and out. i pulled the sound board out and saw a blown capacitor. when i checked the other major capacitors on the board they all were bad, these boards are over 20 years old and the capacitors go bad. i replaced all my capacitors and now fish tales sound is rockin!! so your options if you are good with electronics is replace the capacitors yourself, send the board off for repair, or buy a new board (not cheap about 350)

#6509 5 years ago

ok keep getting missing ball in gumball machine error. i empty the gumball machine and reload it and credit dot goes away. start playing the game and it is mis-detecting the powerballs and the credit dot pops back up. So i am guessing the powerball detector switch is bad? which switch is that?

#6510 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

As others have said, crap files will produce crap sound through thousand dollar speakers. Pinsound won't make a difference unless you have better files, and as far as I know, they do not exist. The only sounds that do are the alternate sounds they made for DCS, but they are crap in my opinion. Get a sub and enjoy the crackly 90's sound. To me, it is all character, and I would likely leave it if there were better versions.

They exist

#6511 5 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

ok keep getting missing ball in gumball machine error. i empty the gumball machine and reload it and credit dot goes away. start playing the game and it is mis-detecting the powerballs and the credit dot pops back up. So i am guessing the powerball detector switch is bad? which switch is that?

There are two powerball sensors. One under the main subway (looks kind of like one of those security tags in a way), and another in the ball trough. The ball trough one is the one that most commonly has issues.

However I don’t think the gumball missing error would be caused by those being bad. Reason being that they actually detect the steel ball not the power ball therefore its the absense of detection that tells the game the powerball is up. When the detector fails typically you get the game thinking every ball is a powerball.

For it to think you don’t have enough balls I would suspect the trough standard switches or maybe the gumball entrance opto. I’m not totally sure but that is what I would look at first at least.

#6512 5 years ago

link or it didn't happen

#6513 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks for the feedback....I appreciate it....that being said I'm not sure how much work I'm willing to do The good news is mine already has upgraded speakers and sub, but in my opinion the sound still sucks.....sounds like the only real option is a pin sound board....

the other issue that is possible is if you still have the original sound board the capacitors have gone bad. these capacitors are responsible for "filtering" the sound signal. I checked the capacitors on my fish tales, and every single one of them was bad. when i replaced them, crystal clear.

#6514 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

I agree. Why are people always trying to change the Pre-DCS synthesized sound into non-synthesized sound? I don't get this. To me, it's what makes those games unique, and part of their identity. I understand the need to upgrade lighting to LEDs because of heat and power improvements, but screwing with the sound seems like you're trying to turn the games into something else. I feel the same way about "MOD-overload" as well

#6515 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

link or it didn't happen

Coming soon!

#6516 5 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I agree. Why are people always trying to change the Pre-DCS synthesized sound into non-synthesized sound? I don't get this. To me, it's what makes those games unique, and part of their identity. I understand the need to upgrade lighting to LEDs because of heat and power improvements, but screwing with the sound seems like you're trying to turn the games into something else. I feel the same way about "MOD-overload" as well

I can only speak for myself, but in general it’s the callouts for me. They are so low quality it is distracting when compared with newer games, and proper high fidelity sources ARE available for TZ, so why not?

In addition, TZ -WAS- supposed to be released as a DCS game. This means everything would have been significantly higher quality, including callouts and SFX. The boards just weren’t finished in time, so Chris Granner had to quickly come up with alternative music using the old 8-bit sound board. There aren’t a lot of (any?) special customisations to the music in TZ like say, WhiteWater, where the music will speed up as you play.

Not everybody likes the DCS music, because they are used to the music as released; the Golden Earring song isn’t really present in the DCS mix, but you can certainly retain it. Or replace it with the -actual- recording. It does sound great

#6517 5 years ago

Just wanted to get a second opinion - I've had many issues with my TZ, and they always come down to the classic BR4 issue. It used to be resets when both flippers are pressed, now it's the flasher voltage gone (so bye bye gumball motor). I've changed the bridge 3 times now and something keeps on messing it up. Is there a further fault down the chain of a malfunctioning BR4? Power outlet is fine, don't think it'd be anything wrong with the transformer as I'm getting good readings from all other test points. I do want to buy a new replacement driver board because the original one looks like it's been through hell (and the soldering skills of a 3 year old), but I'm scared the new board will get "toasted" too.

#6518 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Just wanted to get a second opinion - I've had many issues with my TZ, and they always come down to the classic BR4 issue. It used to be resets when both flippers are pressed, now it's the flasher voltage gone (so bye bye gumball motor). I've changed the bridge 3 times now and something keeps on messing it up. Is there a further fault down the chain of a malfunctioning BR4? Power outlet is fine, don't think it'd be anything wrong with the transformer as I'm getting good readings from all other test points. I do want to buy a new replacement driver board because the original one looks like it's been through hell (and the soldering skills of a 3 year old), but I'm scared the new board will get "toasted" too.

Likely caps are failing, which are causing more current to be drawn. In either case, a new board will very likely NOT give you any issues. I would replace the caps, replace the BR4, and see how it holds up. Or, replace the BR4 and check for AC ripple on the DC side of the bridge..

#6519 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Likely caps are failing, which are causing more current to be drawn. In either case, a new board will very likely NOT give you any issues. I would replace the caps, replace the BR4, and see how it holds up. Or, replace the BR4 and check for AC ripple on the DC side of the bridge..

Was that C4 and C5?? I remember reading a lot about the issues caused by these two, they seem to be the main culprits (if memory serves...).

@Edit tbh if there's nothing faulty down the chain I'm more than happy to just get a new board. As I've mentioned, the one I have looks like it's been to hell and back.

#6520 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

Was that C4 and C5?? I remember reading a lot about the issues caused by these two, they seem to be the main culprits (if memory serves...).
@Edit tbh if there's nothing faulty down the chain I'm more than happy to just get a new board. As I've mentioned, the one I have looks like it's been to hell and back.

Looks to be C11 - 15000uf.

Does your board have the mechanical flipper relay installed in it?

#6521 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Looks to be C11 - 15000uf.
Does your board have the mechanical flipper relay installed in it?

No idea, where should I look?

#6522 5 years ago
Quoted from snowvictim:

No idea, where should I look?

On the board, upper center, on the .. er, rather, slightly to the left of center. (You can esily tell by going into Test Mode from Attract Mode. When you do, do you hear a 'click' coming from the PDB?

I bring this up because a resistor was changed between the two revisions on the +20v line, and it's possible the lack of a resistor is causing issues. But I'm not 100% certain on that.

I would measure AC voltage on your +20v line and see what you get.

#6523 5 years ago

Spent some more time (and money) on my TZ over the weekend.. ColorDMD (a must) Some new color blades, and a sticker from Pinball pimp. The only other thing is I'd like to light up the skill shot. Very dark over there. Anyone add some light to that area? I've seen the LED's that go under the red plastic in the ball lane but not sure if they light up the actual skill shot area. Now to play the hell out of it!

31716215958_cc213a8f59_o (resized).jpg31716215958_cc213a8f59_o (resized).jpg31716221688_d93c8e77cd_k (resized).jpg31716221688_d93c8e77cd_k (resized).jpg45537967052_83c503cfa7_k (resized).jpg45537967052_83c503cfa7_k (resized).jpg45537969342_ae1ebb1071_k (resized).jpg45537969342_ae1ebb1071_k (resized).jpg45537969412_e5d161c059_k (resized).jpg45537969412_e5d161c059_k (resized).jpg
#6524 5 years ago

Blades look good....I lit both the skill shot and the slot machine scoop....big improvement especially at night....I just made my own from Comet pinball....

#6525 5 years ago

Right lower flipper died on my TZ last night. Checked it this morning and a wire was loose from the coil. Soldered that back on. Really glad for an easy fix!

Also put some blue titan rings on the flippers and started swapping to the translucent rings on the playfield.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6526 5 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Spent some more time (and money) on my TZ over the weekend.. ColorDMD (a must) Some new color blades, and a sticker from Pinball pimp. The only other thing is I'd like to light up the skill shot.

Can be done with a normal LED, I didn't want to buy the light up mods because, in all honesty, they're a ripoff. The LED is small fits everywhere. I'd also recommend these amazing instruction cards, not sure who made them, but it's someone in this thread.

IMG_0194 (resized).JPGIMG_0194 (resized).JPG

#6527 5 years ago

Why put detailed rules on a home machine? Always confused me....IMG_20181029_183414 (resized).jpgIMG_20181029_183414 (resized).jpg

#6528 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Why put detailed rules on a home machine? Always confused me....[quoted image]

Beats me, do you have the file by any chance and would be willing to share?

#6529 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Why put detailed rules on a home machine? Always confused me....[quoted image]

I like having the rules, but those do look great!

#6530 5 years ago

I do have them, but I'll have to find them. Made them years ago.

#6531 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I do have them, but I'll have to find them. Made them years ago.

I'd appreciate the effort!

#6532 5 years ago

Very simple question...

Is there an easy / recommended way of removing the slot machine scoop from underneath the playfield? I removed mine yesterday to install a scoop light, and pretty much everything got in the way of it.. the subways, the switch next to the scoop. It took me a good 5 minutes to actually remove it, and I scraped the outside of the subway plastics doing it. I ended up thinking there must be some easier way of doing it short of unscrewing everything in that area...

#6533 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Very simple question...
Is there an easy / recommended way of removing the slot machine scoop from underneath the playfield? I removed mine yesterday to install a scoop light, and pretty much everything got in the way of it.. the subways, the switch next to the scoop. It took me a good 5 minutes to actually remove it, and I scraped the outside of the subway plastics doing it. I ended up thinking there must be some easier way of doing it short of unscrewing everything in that area...

I just pointed an led towards the back of the scoop outside of the subway since it’s clear. Works fine.... i suppose you could get a bendy led if you wanted to get all up in the scoops business, but it’s not necessary.

#6534 5 years ago

Uploaded these as original size, so they should be 320ppi. They are set to printed as 4x6 photographs (ppi is for most costco printers - print as matte). You'll need to trim the black off the bottom. These took quite a bit of work to create, so enjoy! TZ FP inst - 4x6 print.jpgTZ FP inst - 4x6 print.jpg

#6535 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Uploaded these as original size, so they should be 320ppi. They are set to printed as 4x6 photographs (ppi is for most costco printers - print as matte). You'll need to trim the black off the bottom. These took quite a bit of work to create, so enjoy! [quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for sharing appreciate the effort!

#6536 5 years ago

Nice Tranquilize, I’ll print a set for my TZ. Thank you

#6537 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I just pointed an led towards the back of the scoop outside of the subway since it’s clear. Works fine.... i suppose you could get a bendy led if you wanted to get all up in the scoops business, but it’s not necessary.

Nice, I hadn't even thought of that. I followed the mod instructions somewhat blindly.

#6538 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Uploaded these as original size, so they should be 320ppi. They are set to printed as 4x6 photographs (ppi is for most costco printers - print as matte). You'll need to trim the black off the bottom. These took quite a bit of work to create, so enjoy! [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow those look fantastic! I may actually get off my butt and have these printed!

#6539 5 years ago

Rules are your friend

F0C0C60F-A594-40FA-9A57-26B5EBB91077 (resized).jpegF0C0C60F-A594-40FA-9A57-26B5EBB91077 (resized).jpeg
#6540 5 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Rules are your friend
[quoted image]

Not when you own the game.

#6541 5 years ago

I'm in the camp that rules should be on the game even in a home environment. I often have guests over that aren't pinheads but enjoy playing. For them, it's handy to have something to quickly refer to that tells them what to shoot for.

#6542 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm in the camp that rules should be on the game even in a home environment. I often have guests over that aren't pinheads but enjoy playing. For them, it's handy to have something to quickly refer to that tells them what to shoot for.

Even back the arcade days, I found rule sheets to be pretty useless. They cover the very basics that you can learn in one game of following the lights. Stern rule cards are often worse: they sometimes leave out important parts of the game.

Unless I'm suffering strep, I can usually talk to my guests and generally do at least as good as a rule card.

#6543 5 years ago

Rule cards should have rules. #justsayin

#6544 5 years ago

I never read instruction cards but gotta have them. That's the rules lol. Same reason you have to have coin mechs. Don't need them at home but you gotta have them.

#6545 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I never read instruction cards but gotta have them. That's the rules lol. Same reason you have to have coin mechs. Don't need them at home but you gotta have them.

You don't, maybe.
I still pay for my games.

Best. Piggy bank. Ever.

#6546 5 years ago

I don't think there is a "gotta" in this situation. If you own a game, you can use tranny porn pics instead of rule cards if that's what makes yer bum hum.

#6547 5 years ago

Looking for TZ back board decal, I have seen the spiral one, but wondering what others are out there?

Whats out there for blades / graphics for side of playfield?

Just looking to see what other options are out there

Cheers

#6548 5 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Looking for TZ back board decal, I have seen the spiral one, but wondering what others are out there?
Whats out there for blades / graphics for side of playfield?
Just looking to see what other options are out there
Cheers

There's the hand made backlit starfield, which I've got to say, is pretty awesome...

#6549 5 years ago

78DABF69-7C01-43EC-A56E-3E5935E3514C (resized).jpeg78DABF69-7C01-43EC-A56E-3E5935E3514C (resized).jpeg

62270461-E1CD-4D61-9758-83C09A485AC1 (resized).jpeg62270461-E1CD-4D61-9758-83C09A485AC1 (resized).jpeg
#6550 5 years ago

Thanks for the pics Pinrob.

Does anyone have the Pingraffix pin blades installed?
Like the look of those just wondering what options for backboard decal.
Like the look of Treasure cove backboard with pyramid gumball machine door etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
There are 15,087 posts in this topic. You are on page 131 of 302.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/131?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.