IMG_6425 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240406_221516459 (resized).jpg
IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 305.
#6401 5 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Is it easy to put NVRAM in Rottendog MPU boards? While it won't keep your game's time correct (and some people like having the clock on the playfield show the correct time), it does mean never having to deal with this problem ever again.

Both of my Rottendog CPU boards have NVram and seem to work great. Rob Anthony preinstalled mine when I got the boards from him, but I don't think it's supposed to be difficult.

#6402 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Got to have my clock working so NVRam isn’t an option on TZ for me.

Don't believe that NVRAM and batteries are mutually exclusive. The NVRAM will not care one way of the other if the batteries are there, and the batteries will keep the RTC chip running to maintain the clock. Best of both worlds. Would still move to either lithum batteries &/or a remote battery holder tho.

#6403 5 years ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

I'm rebuilding my TZ (still ever so slowly.) I'll be putting in a gumball light kit but am undecided on which one and looking for input from those that have seen them in person.
Dazzler by PinballPro or
Pinbits Lamp kit
I'm using Pinballbulbs kit LEDs if it matters.
I'll have colored glass gumballs in the machine.
Price isn't a deciding factor, looking more at functionality.
I've watched the video(s) but it is more zoomed in than I would care for and isn't the best to help me decide.
Dazzler seems like it does more (more lighting modes) but I'm not sure that is a positive or not. Pinbits seems like it is basic but that may not be a bad thing.
Does Pinside have a feature to add a poll to a post? (doesn't look like it)
Thanks for the input.

Shameless Plug: My preference would be the Pinduino kit: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1025-professor-pinball/00472-twilight-zone-interactive-ramp-and-gumball-lighting-kit

Interactive gumball light and ramp light. PM me if you just want a kit with the gumball lighting.

#6404 5 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Both of my Rottendog CPU boards have NVram and seem to work great. Rob Anthony preinstalled mine when I got the boards from him, but I don't think it's supposed to be difficult.

If the RAM chip is socketed, then it would be very easy. If you have to desolder to remove it, then it could be a problem for some people. If you can check, that may be helpful to some people here.

#6405 5 years ago

It does seems like the Rotten Dog board is eating my batteries. The batteries are testing weak after only a couple months. Got to have my clock working so NVRam isn’t an option on TZ for me. Has anybody tried a memory capacitor on a Rotten Dog MPU? In theory I think it should work.

It does seems like the Rotten Dog board is eating my batteries. The batteries are testing weak after only a couple months. Got to have my clock working so NVRam isn’t an option on TZ for me. Has anybody tried a memory capacitor on a Rotten Dog MPU? In theory I think it should work.

Your clock is still going to work with nvram. It just won't show the correct time in attract mode since the time will reset every time you power cycle the game.

#6406 5 years ago

Do a search here or on RGP.
I vaguely remember that there was a wrong resistor used to limit current, which is why they're draining so fast.
Unfortunately, with that much of a drain, a memory cap won't do you any good at all.

#6407 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Your clock is still going to work with nvram. It just won't show the correct time in attract mode since the time will reset every time you power cycle the game.

Yeah - I realize that but want I it to display the correct time because I’m anal like that.

#6408 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

To clarify -
No, the time will NOT reset. It will just 'freeze'. So if the game things it's 1:05pm, you turn the game off, then turn it back on three hours later, it's still 1:05pm.

This will mess up some bookeepings, as well (including the 'Minutes On' reading. heh.)

I don't use NVRAM in any game. I just am a good operator, and change batteries every new year.

#6409 5 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Shameless Plug: My preference would be the Pinduino kit: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1025-professor-pinball/00472-twilight-zone-interactive-ramp-and-gumball-lighting-kit
Interactive gumball light and ramp light. PM me if you just want a kit with the gumball lighting.

Looks cool and impressive what can be programmed but more than I'm looking for to light the gumball.

#6410 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I went Pinbits, but use silver pachinko balls in my Gumball machine (roughly 25-30 in each side) to match the translite more.
Using Comet 2SMD frosted Sunlight, with LED OCD and GI OCD.

Thanks for the insight. Why pinbits over the others?

#6411 5 years ago
Quoted from bikefreak:

Looks cool and impressive what can be programmed but more than I'm looking for to light the gumball.

The gumball is lit with addressable LEDs that change color based on events that happening during game play. May be difficult to notice due to the ramp and infinity mirror in the back panel. If you are interested, I can make a gumball only setup.

EDIT: Not trying to overly promote the Pinduino, but it is a pretty easy kit. When compared to the $50 you'd spend for the setup from Pinbits, a DIY pinduino is $40 (and $5 to ship), and you'd get a fully interactive setup that is easy to customize the code. I'll toss in more than enough addressable LEDs for you to make the kit. The code is all open source, and I can program the Arduino for you with it so all you'd need to do is spend some time soldering. And if you want to add a second set of LEDs somewhere in the game, you can do that using the same pinduino board.

#6412 5 years ago

Short reminder for my special offer, that ends today, here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/128#post-4603925

5 boards are still available ....

#6413 5 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

The gumball is lit with addressable LEDs that change color based on events that happening during game play. May be difficult to notice due to the ramp and infinity mirror in the back panel. If you are interested, I can make a gumball only setup.
EDIT: Not trying to overly promote the Pinduino, but it is a pretty easy kit. When compared to the $50 you'd spend for the setup from Pinbits, a DIY pinduino is $40 (and $5 to ship), and you'd get a fully interactive setup that is easy to customize the code. I'll toss in more than enough addressable LEDs for you to make the kit. The code is all open source, and I can program the Arduino for you with it so all you'd need to do is spend some time soldering. And if you want to add a second set of LEDs somewhere in the game, you can do that using the same pinduino board.

Any pics for the gumball light install? (not in action, but installation) I'm curious to go this route as I would also be interested in putting in a strip to light the backboard.

#6414 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Any pics for the gumball light install? (not in action, but installation) I'm curious to go this route as I would also be interested in putting in a strip to light the backboard.

I actually purchased the comet TZ kit, and it included the LED strip that lights the backboard....helps quite a bit

#6415 5 years ago

Just hook a 12v supply post power switch and mod until your heart's content. I did my own gumball lighting, flipper lighting and backboard lighting. Easy as pie.

#6416 5 years ago

Can anyone here tell me what that image is on the left sling plastic? It looks like a robot lady. What is it really? Is it from an episode?

#6417 5 years ago

I joined the TZ club a week ago and brought it home on Tuesday. It came out of an estate sale and in pretty good shape. Need a little clean up. Has CT light kit, clock mod, and i put in some plastic balls from a chinese checkers game.

Hit lost in the zone a few minutes ago with the help of the replay ball and an extra ball.

BE18AD8C-F6AE-48B1-9886-0E4DC7F090BC (resized).jpegBE18AD8C-F6AE-48B1-9886-0E4DC7F090BC (resized).jpeg
#6418 5 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Can anyone here tell me what that image is on the left sling plastic? It looks like a robot lady. What is it really? Is it from an episode?

It’s a mannequin - or more accurately it’s a “featureless doll”. It is not from a particular episode, but It is in the show’s intro from season 4 and 5. I also believe it is a vague representation of the mannequin in the episode “The After Hours”, where a department store mannequin comes to life.

#6419 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s a mannequin - or more accurately it’s a “featureless doll”.

thanks

#6420 5 years ago

Add another Twilight Zone with Ingo boards. I bit the bullet and ordered some of his boards to fix my clock. They appear to be the best on the market. Can't wait for them to turn up and get my clock to work

#6421 5 years ago

Ingo’s Boards are THE best. Only board I ever found that worked correctly with GIOCD. Including the original Williams board!

Here’s a shot, with my just-installed Black & White DMD

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#6422 5 years ago

Having my to restored...best mods to add?

#6423 5 years ago

Finally got my TZ all shopped out. Tear down, clean, polish, and wax. LED treatment, new balls, and no credit dots! Next up ColorDMD. So nice to play a fresh shopped pin especially when it's a TZ!

44183396195_8c29b3cc97_k (resized).jpg44183396195_8c29b3cc97_k (resized).jpg44358939044_a4a8e1b0d7_k (resized).jpg44358939044_a4a8e1b0d7_k (resized).jpg44999288971_051f4c0bfb_k (resized).jpg44999288971_051f4c0bfb_k (resized).jpg45030939242_4a3a621b5f_k (resized).jpg45030939242_4a3a621b5f_k (resized).jpg45045960432_224ec4b194_k (resized).jpg45045960432_224ec4b194_k (resized).jpg
#6424 5 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Finally got my TZ all shopped out. Tear down, clean, polish, and wax. LED treatment, new balls, and no credit dots! Next up ColorDMD. So nice to play a fresh shopped pin especially when it's a TZ!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Great and for sure Not an easy game to shop! Hard to tell from the photos (and nitpicking!) but that right spiral magnet could be decked and leveled closer to the playfield to smooth it out and minimize wear. Looks great enjoy one of the best games made!

#6425 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

The best mods are no mods. Don't stick tacky crap in the game (but you will anyway). That being said put in things that will not become ball traps, gumballs, slot machine maybe, camera.

#6426 5 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Could be just my eyes or camera bloom but those LEDs look super bright, particularly the slings and the mini-playfield street lamp.

#6427 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

You can go crazy- lots of people have, myself included. But I’d say go slow on the mods. You can get into the $2k territory which you will -never- get back. TZ is the game everyone first started modding like crazy, which is why you’ll get a bunch of “don’t do it! The game is a sacred chapel!” Posts.

Imo the best mods are the ones that help you identify shots: the piano, the camera.

#6428 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

You can really go crazy with mods on TZ....IMHO I would stick with the ones that either improve game play or help identify shots. My list would include the following: color dmd, complete Cliffy protector set, comet LED's with spot lights (the game is really dark), Piano mod, camera mod, slot machine, gum balls , and diverter magnet...there are several other mods and decals that look really nice, but it really comes down to personal preference.

#6429 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

You can really go crazy with mods on TZ....IMHO I would stick with the ones that either improve game play or help identify shots. My list would include the following: color dmd, complete Cliffy protector set, comet LED's with spot lights (the game is really dark), Piano mod, camera mod, slot machine, gum balls , and diverter magnet...there are several other mods and decals that look really nice, but it really comes down to personal preference.

Protectors are really a necessity for playfield elements and the cabinet legs. In terms of mods, I advocate the piano, diverter magnet, and the LED board for the clock. I'm a fan of the mini playfield switch kit too if you can find it.

#6430 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

this is a good list, none of these create ball traps. The spotlights aren't needed, but otherwise its solid.

#6431 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

this is a good list, none of these create ball traps. The spotlights aren't needed, but otherwise its solid.

I totally agree on the spot lights unless your playing the game in a dark room at night (with the lights off ) .....The play field is really dark

#6432 5 years ago

Amazing how adding some LED's and fresh new rubber really makes a game pop. TZ sitting next to my recently restored FH made doing this a necessity. It was crazy to see the contrast in lighting between the two.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the power field up/out and the main ramp out for cleaning.

I ended up hand picking Comet LED's VS a kit (my personal pref after doing my FH). I used 2SMD frosted for most inserts but used 4SMD RED's for the big door inserts. Went cool/natural white for GI.

Next up for me:

- Make my own custom backboard decal (just not liking what I see out there so far)

- Strip of RGB LED's above the backboard to help light the back portion of the game.

- Gumballs and gumball light (leaning towards pinduino since I already program/use atmega328's and I like that its a complete ready to use package)

- Scoop light for the slot machine shot

- Update the ROM's

- Grab a color DMD

Down the road further:

- Upgrade speakers? Pinsound?

20181006_221355 (resized).jpg20181006_221355 (resized).jpg
#6433 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Amazing how adding some LED's and fresh new rubber really makes a game pop. TZ sitting next to my recently restored FH made doing this a necessity. It was crazy to see the contrast in lighting between the two.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the power field up/out and the main ramp out for cleaning.
I ended up hand picking Comet LED's VS a kit (my personal pref after doing my FH). I used 2SMD frosted for most inserts but used 4SMD RED's for the big door inserts. Went cool/natural white for GI.
Next up for me:
- Make my own custom backboard decal (just not liking what I see out there so far)
- Strip of RGB LED's above the backboard to help light the back portion of the game.
- Gumballs and gumball light (leaning towards pinduino since I already program/use atmega328's and I like that its a complete ready to use package)
- Scoop light for the slot machine shot
- Update the ROM's
- Grab a color DMD
Down the road further:
- Upgrade speakers? Pinsound?
[quoted image]

Good point on the scoop light. I added one (went with blue), and it helps quite a bit.

#6434 5 years ago

Hey guys, joined the club a couple weeks ago and really loving TZ. I’ve been thinking about putting one red and one blue plasma ball on top of the backbox. I thought it would look cool as a topper but I’ve read that they can sometimes interfere with electronics. Do you know if it’s safe to put them up there?

#6435 5 years ago

Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks Great and for sure Not an easy game to shop! Hard to tell from the photos (and nitpicking!) but that right spiral magnet could be decked and leveled closer to the playfield to smooth it out and minimize wear. Looks great enjoy one of the best games made!

Thanks! It was a little harder then most I've shopped. I didn't take pictures along the way as I usually do and I pulled some of it apart months ago! I was scared I would forget where it all went as parts got shuffled around over that time but when I was done I didn't have any spare parts laying around! That's always a good thing! I was looking at that magnet as well. What's the best way to deck and level the magnet? It is an amazing fun game! Reminds me a tiny bit of TAF with the lay out but TAF don't compare in the least bit with the game play. TZ blows TAF away!

#6436 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Could be just my eyes or camera bloom but those LEDs look super bright, particularly the slings and the mini-playfield street lamp.

That's camera bloom. I found the camera don't like certain color LED's that's for sure! It's actually nice in person. Not to much but just enough to play in the dark or lighted room.

#6437 5 years ago

Thanks! It was a little harder then most I've shopped. I didn't take pictures along the way as I usually do and I pulled some of it apart months ago! I was scared I would forget where it all went as parts got shuffled around over that time but when I was done I didn't have any spare parts laying around! That's always a good thing! I was looking at that magnet as well. What's the best way to deck and level the magnet? It is an amazing fun game! Reminds me a tiny bit of TAF with the lay out but TAF don't compare in the least bit with the game play. TZ blows TAF away!

Best game ever and you're a courageous person shopping one without pictures lol. For the magnet I personally just remove the core and use a straight file in a vise. Cleans up fairly easy just take your time. Many simply buy a new magnet core (PinballLife) and swap it out as they don't cost much. Looks great enjoy your new game!

Pinball Life magnet core:
https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-core-plug.html

#6438 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Best game ever and you're a courageous person shopping one without pictures lol. For the magnet I personally just remove the core and use a straight file in a vise. Cleans up fairly easy just take your time. Many simply buy a new magnet core (PinballLife) and swap it out as they don't cost much. Looks great enjoy your new game!
Pinball Life magnet core:
https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-core-plug.html

Oh nice. I've owned a few pins with the magnets but never really had to service them. I added it on my wish list for my next order with Pinball life! Thanks! And yes I don't know how the hell I put that thing back together with no pictures! I just took my time, stared at the part, and thought oh I know where that went! hahaha

#6439 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

I'm a fan of the mini playfield switch kit too if you can find it.

I have done a own mini switch kit. It has longer legs, so you can't see the pcb from the switch. It is made from 1,5mm V2A brushed look.Every bracket have 2 switches, 1 for optional mods. I can sell a few sets if you are interested. But it takes 2 or 3 weeks, at the moment I'm in Holiday in Egypt.
More information here https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/nachbau-mini-switch-kit-twilight-zone.196872/

Regards Sascha
IMG_20180824_182317_HHT (resized).jpgIMG_20180824_182317_HHT (resized).jpgIMG_20180827_182007_HHT (resized).jpgIMG_20180827_182007_HHT (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_173225_HHT (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_173225_HHT (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_180025_HHT (resized).jpgIMG_20180828_180025_HHT (resized).jpg

#6440 5 years ago

TZ Rules question: Does it matter how I start the door MB mode? Are jackpots worth more if I lock 2 balls (as opposed to only locking 1), then start MB with the ramp? How about if I start MB with the lock shot on 3rd lock? Does it matter which way I go as far as points?
Tx

#6441 5 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

TZ Rules question: Does it matter how I start the door MB mode? Are jackpots worth more if I lock 2 balls (as opposed to only locking 1), then start MB with the ramp? How about if I start MB with the lock shot on 3rd lock? Does it matter which way I go as far as points?
Tx

Two locks = higher jackpots, but hmmm, I don't know if starting at the lock vs. the ramp makes a difference. I'll have to try that.

The jackpot is also doubled if you score it with the Powerball.

#6442 5 years ago

If you're putting gumballs in the gumball machine, make sure you get a light kit for it too. That back corner looks so much nicer lit up!

#6443 5 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

I have done a own mini switch kit. It has longer legs, so you can't see the pcb from the switch. It is made from 1,5mm V2A brushed look.Every bracket have 2 switches, 1 for optional mods. I can sell a few sets if you are interested. But it takes 2 or 3 weeks, at the moment I'm in Holiday in Egypt.
More information here https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/nachbau-mini-switch-kit-twilight-zone.196872/
Regards Sascha
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'd be in for one of these if you did another run.

#6444 5 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I'd be in for one of these if you did another run.

No problem, I have the parts for 10 kits in stock. If these are sold, I can make everytime the next run.
The price for one kit is 65 Euro + shipping (US shipping 20 Euro with insurance and tracking)

#6445 5 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Tx

Quoted from gunstarhero:

Two locks = higher jackpots, but hmmm, I don't know if starting at the lock vs. the ramp makes a difference. I'll have to try that.
The jackpot is also doubled if you score it with the Powerball.

Yup.
If you have 'Easy Release' set, and the player takes advantage of it, Jackpot is lower (halved) at Multiball start. You can build it up as high, but it takes more hits to the 5Mil targets.
Usually, though, you cannot start MB with the 'Easy Release' by shooting the lock. However, if you have Last Ramp Release set to 2 or higher, so that multiball can still be started from the ramp, but you locked two balls, that does NOT affect the jackpot value.

#6446 5 years ago

Rom update! Figure I'll try it out. It's really HUO now!

44319848525_b18032c708_k (resized).jpg44319848525_b18032c708_k (resized).jpg44319848545_279fe2d2fb_k (resized).jpg44319848545_279fe2d2fb_k (resized).jpg44508015184_9ffe9651c1_k (resized).jpg44508015184_9ffe9651c1_k (resized).jpg45180341892_84bde88d8d_k (resized).jpg45180341892_84bde88d8d_k (resized).jpg
#6447 5 years ago

Have any of you guys swapped out the autoplunger solenoid for a stronger one? Mine seems to struggle to shoot the ball around sometimes. The flipper doesn't need a rebuild.

#6448 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Have any of you guys swapped out the autoplunger solenoid for a stronger one? Mine seems to struggle to shoot the ball around sometimes. The flipper doesn't need a rebuild.

Mine was quite inconsistent and it was fixed completely by cleaning the coil plunger. Mine has gotten a bit gunked up and as a result it wasn't returning back to idle position quickly, compromising subsequent firing.

Cleaning it up completely fixed the problem and every single ball now goes around.

I'd give that a try as a first port of call.

#6449 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Have any of you guys swapped out the autoplunger solenoid for a stronger one?

This more often is due to a misalignment of the plunger, or slack in the plunger bracket. I saw an article about adding a washer to the bracket to direct the plunger arm fractionally either left or right as required. The solenoid should be strong enough to launch the ball, it just needs to shoot straight.

#6450 5 years ago

Yeah if the arm is not centered the ball will bounce off the walls when launched scrubbing of speed and that slows it to where it might not make it around the loop.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 9.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/129?hl=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.