IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5125 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240401-094638 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 305.
#5451 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Congrats. TZ is an awesome game. Just got mine not long ago. I also had issues with the clock optos. Instead of wasting time on the old boards, I bought the new Ingo clock board that is engineered better so should never have a problem again. Easy swap and new board has swappable leds.

Turns out I've already got the Ingo board in there. I took the front plastic off and found that the arms axle has a lot of play front to back. Maybe 1/8" or so. Is that normal? I wasn't up for tearing it down more, so instead I wiggled the optos "out" a little way so they're closer to the arm. After that, all the minutes register properly with the clock in the normal position.

And for the first time since I've had the machine, no credit dot!

Quoted from jawjaw:

Coils firing like that are usually the result of a faulty switch - probably an opto. Open the game menu and go into the switch test. Hand press every switch and break the beam on every opto in the game. You should see that switch and only that switch trip on the display. If a switch triggers multiple switches then there is a short issue. Also bang around the playfield and see if any opto's trigger off of vibrations. For a complete list of switches, look for the switch matrix in the manual.

Good suggestion, I'll try applying some percussive motivation while in edge test to see if any switches or optos register.

Another thing that's been happening is occasional airballs when the ball hits the target right next to the slot machine scoop. Sometimes really bad airballs, like off the glass, over the sling and landing in the left outlane. I already tried bending the target forward but that didn't help. Do I need to replace the foam stuff behind it?

#5452 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Lloyd confirmed it back in 2013

Nowhere in that thread is Loyd actually commenting on that. Just some guy saying that he "thinks" Loyd confirmed it... same guy says the 15411 coil is the strongest, and 11629 is second strongest....

#5453 6 years ago

Ah the pinball community, where everyone's opinion is fact.

#5454 6 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Nowhere in that thread is Loyd actually commenting on that. Just some guy saying that he "thinks" Loyd confirmed it... same guy says the 15411 coil is the strongest, and 11629 is second strongest....

Hmmm... you are right; interesting..

#5455 6 years ago

Again, I think the light blue 11629 coils are fine, but you put your game at risk for damaging parts.

#5456 6 years ago
Quoted from yaheath:

Another thing that's been happening is occasional airballs when the ball hits the target right next to the slot machine scoop. Sometimes really bad airballs, like off the glass, over the sling and landing in the left outlane. I already tried bending the target forward but that didn't help. Do I need to replace the foam stuff behind it?

Best thing is to get a reinforced target like the following. They seem to be out of stock often, though.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

I had the same problem with a few targets on my Shadow and those fixed the problem. For now, you can shove some more padding behind the targets.

#5457 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Best thing is to get a reinforced target like the following. They seem to be out of stock often, though.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R
I had the same problem with a few targets on my Shadow and those fixed the problem. For now, you can shove some more padding behind the targets.

PBR has the reinforced target too...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5458 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I've had my TZ for a few years now and finally rebuilt the bottom flippers this past weekend. I noticed that the flipper coils on my machine are different: the left is 11629 and the right is 15411. The right one feels noticeably more powerful than the left and I thought it was wrong but the manual says 15411 is the right coil.
What flippers coils do you all use and recommend? The reason I ask is that the left actually feels more appropriate for the game as the right one feels a bit too powerful.

First of all, I appreciate the responses and suggestions. To be clear, I just rebuilt the bottom main flippers but did not replace the flipper coils. The right flipper coil is 15411, and the left is 11629. I didn't observe a noticeable difference in flipper strength between these two flippers before rebuilding them, but after the right flipper which apparently has the weaker of the two coils is definitely stronger. Does anyone have an explanation as to why this would be considering the left flipper with the stronger coil (11629) should be the stronger of the two?

#5459 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Does anyone have an explanation as to why this would be considering the left flipper with the stronger coil (11629) should be the stronger of the two?

When you say "re-built" what do you mean? new coil sleeves, plungers, EOS switches and coil stops?

Is there ANY slop or play in the coil between the front stop and coil stop? (see image)
Does the coil still wiggle? If so, then it's possible the tab on the flipper bracket where the 2 socket head screws attach the coil stop is bent down, not allowing for a tight fit. This was the case on both my TZ and Indy. I had to take a crescent wrench and bend the tab back to straight.

ANY slight movement in the coil will cause it to act weak

were the coil sleeves free moving when you replaced them?

This photo is from my Dirty Harry

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#5460 6 years ago

Anyone use the mantis scoop? I can't quite get my (stock) 5 million target to fit in in front of the little backer tap they put on it.

#5461 6 years ago

Be careful on setting the coil stop too tight. If it has zero play, you will create problems later. As the coil heats up, it expands, creating shear tension on the mounts. Eventually, the mounts crack and fail.

Always allow a slight amount of clearance.

#5462 6 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Anyone use the mantis scoop? I can't quite get my (stock) 5 million target to fit in in front of the little backer tap they put on it.

I tried it and had the same problem. You have to bend that tab up to make it work. The Mantis scoop is pretty terrible; tolerances are worse and the metal is too strong so landing the ball in it is much harder as it tends to have no give. If you can get the original weldment fixed it’s much better.

#5463 6 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

When you say "re-built" what do you mean? new coil sleeves, plungers, EOS switches and coil stops?
Is there ANY slop or play in the coil between the front stop and coil stop? (see image)
Does the coil still wiggle? If so, then it's possible the tab on the flipper bracket where the 2 socket head screws attach the coil stop is bent down, no t allowing for a tight fit. This was the case on both my TZ and Indy. I had to take a crescent wrench and bend the tab back to straight.
ANY slight movement in the coil will cause it to act weak
were the coil sleeves free moving when you replaced them?
This photo is from my Dirty Harry

I replaced the coil stop, the coil sleeves, the springs, the plungers and the flipper bushings. There's a little play with the coil, just a little, but it's the same for both flippers. The plunger is moving freely through the sleeve on both.

IMG_20180217_112901 (resized).jpgIMG_20180217_112901 (resized).jpg

#5464 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I replaced the coil stop, the coil sleeves, the springs, the plungers and the flipper bushings. There's a little play with the coil, just a little, but it's the same for both flippers. The plunger is moving freely through the sleeve on both.

Something I am noticing, which is probably the culprit, is when I have the playfield down and just move each flipper up and down with my hand. The right one is looser (less resistance) than the left. How do I adjust that?

#5465 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Something I am noticing, which is probably the culprit, is when I have the playfield down and just move each flipper up and down with my hand. The right one is looser (less resistance) than the left. How do I adjust that?

loosen the crank paw that clamps onto the flipper bat shaft. usually need an Allen and a regular wrench. It can be snug on some pins (like data east) so some elbow grease to back off. Once loose you can pull up on the entire flipper a smidge but make sure you tighten with the flippers still aligned

#5466 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

loosen the crank paw that clamps onto the flipper bat shaft. usually need an Allen and a regular wrench. It can be snug on some pins (like data east) so some elbow grease to back off. Once loose you can pull up on the entire flipper a smidge but make sure you tighten with the flippers still aligned

Did you use th PBL rebuilt kit for your flippers? Those are a major upgrade in terms of being able to adjust. You don’t need the Allen key, which is really helpful. Make sure you have the flipper bar shaft clearing the neck of the plastic bushing, you should have 1/16” inch or so, so the flipper doesnt bind. There’s an official tool for this, or you can use a cut up credit card

#5467 6 years ago

Is there a TZ owner here that lives in Indiana? If so, can you shoot me a PM?

#5468 6 years ago

Left flipper always felt weak or sluggish on mine. Inconsistent, too. Cleaning the opto helped but replacing the opto board finally seemed to fix it.

#5469 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Left flipper always felt weak or sluggish on mine. Inconsistent, too. Cleaning the opto helped but replacing the opto board finally seemed to fix it.

I'll swap the two flipper opto boards and clean the opto and see if I feel any difference.

#5470 6 years ago
Quoted from pindergast:

I tried it and had the same problem. You have to bend that tab up to make it work. The Mantis scoop is pretty terrible; tolerances are worse and the metal is too strong so landing the ball in it is much harder as it tends to have no give. If you can get the original weldment fixed it’s much better.

I do have the original still but its quite dirty. I'll try bending it up for now.

#5471 6 years ago

What are the diagnostic steps to address an erratic slot machine kickout? I don't think my TZ has ever consistently kicked it to the right flipper for a left flipper trap, like you see on some machines & Pinball Arcade, etc, and that seems to be a vital part of the game.

My machine has been waxed recently so it is already quick, but as it is right now I get a mixture of bullets that go SDTM (rare) that are impossible to save, balls that don't even manage to get out of the slot machine hole and drop back in (also rare), and everything in between. There doesn't seem to be an issue with power (other than with the balls that don't make it out) - quite the opposite - but there is almost no consistency. You basically have to treat it like a tennis serve whenever it fires it out.

I've checked the obvious things like welds - all appear fine - and levelling, which is bang on, but haven't yet taken the scoop off to inspect the kicker assembly. Not having much experience of diagnostics (I've never resleeved a coil or checked a spring, wouldn't even know if the spring was good or not, I'm very much an end user with negligible electronics experience) I don't really know what I should be looking for to tweak.

Since the slot machine is so pivotal to gameplay, I feel like I need to sort this out before I do anything else with the machine.... any help gratefully received.

Ideally if possible if someone could tell me what a bad plunger, sleeve or spring actually looks like - that would help immensely.

#5472 6 years ago

A bad plunger will typically have a tip that looks unevenly worn, worn out, or even broken off, a bad sleeve will typically look blackened, dirty or melted, and a bad spring will probably look kinda flattened, maybe rusty? Imo, you're gonna replace one, just replace all 3 and call it good.

#5473 6 years ago

Durzel

How's your Slot Machine scoop looking? Solid with no broken welds? Any movement or wobble when the ball flies out? Does the ball sit reliably central when struck? TAF's swamp kick-out is far worse to fettle into working

EDIT: sorry I skim read your post, ignore my weld questions.

I have an old scoop in the loft, can't say how good it is as i obviously replaced it on a previous TZ for a valid reason...

https://mantispinball.com/product/twilight-zone-slot-machine-scoop/

If you buy a new one i'm also after a Blue Clock housing & maybe a new Diverter from them!

#5474 6 years ago

OT:

#5475 6 years ago

Ingo clock board swap. Easy? Looking at a tz with bad close Clock so may do this first. I like the blue. So do I need blue leds and clear case or blue case?

#5476 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Ingo clock board swap. Easy? Looking at a tz with bad close Clock so may do this first. I like the blue. So do I need blue leds and clear case or blue case?

It's not the hardest thing, but you gotta take care when doing it. Keeping your clock hands in the right position and taking it apart etc.

I would just go blue case.

#5477 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's not the hardest thing, but you gotta take care when doing it. Keeping your clock hands in the right position and taking it apart etc.
I would just go blue case.

thx...so clear leds blue case? sounds good

if anyone has a board they never installed let me know.

#5478 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

durzel
How's your Slot Machine scoop looking? Solid with no broken welds? Any movement or wobble when the ball flies out? Does the ball sit reliably central when struck? TAF's swamp kick-out is far worse to fettle into working
EDIT: sorry I skim read your post, ignore my weld questions.
I have an old scoop in the loft, can't say how good it is as i obviously replaced it on a previous TZ for a valid reason...
https://mantispinball.com/product/twilight-zone-slot-machine-scoop/
If you buy a new one i'm also after a Blue Clock housing & maybe a new Diverter from them!

The scoop itself looks fine. I haven't yet taken it off to inspect fully but the welds look fine.

Guess I best take it off and get some photos..

#5479 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I just did it and it's easy. There are clear instructions. Make sure hands are are at midnight at the start and keep everything straight when you take it apart. I somehow got things turned around in process but think it was not put together right before I got the pin.

I used natural white leds with the stock clock face. I wouldn't use blue leds since they are pretty dark in color. Leds are easy to swap on the board so you can always try.

#5480 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

OT:
» YouTube video

Would finally buy a pinsound board if somebody would whip this up into a file...

#5481 6 years ago

who has best price on blue clock housing? See them at Mantis for 49

#5482 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I just did it and it's easy. There are clear instructions. Make sure hands are are at midnight at the start and keep everything straight when you take it apart. I somehow got things turned around in process but think it was not put together right before I got the pin.
I used natural white leds with the stock clock face. I wouldn't use blue leds since they are pretty dark in color. Leds are easy to swap on the board so you can always try.

When I got my clock, i spring for both white and blue LED's, surprisingly, I like the blue's, fits in to the color scheme well for me. YMMV

#5484 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Another sample plastic being dispatched today. This one will stay in Brazil, it goes to a fellow pinhead in Sao Paulo!

Yesterday I sent the last sample plastic I had here.

Any new order will be produced by demand. Just PM me!

#5485 6 years ago

Anyone have a source for a nice small magnet on the diverter to hold the ball until it dumps it? Seen this mod on several games. The last one I bought was so strong it held the ball so tight I had to pull it away

#5486 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Anyone have a source for a nice small magnet on the diverter to hold the ball until it dumps it? Seen this mod on several games. The last one I bought was so strong it held the ball so tight I had to pull it away

https://www.magnetenkopen.nl/blokmagneten/
Dutch website, probably also available in your area. Neodymium magnets.
Buy a few different sizes. They are very cheap. You can experiment to find the right one. It worked perfect in my TZ.

#5487 6 years ago

Does anyone need a translite? I got a "not perfect but somewhat nice" original, and a new repro!

IMG_20180221_151556 (resized).jpgIMG_20180221_151556 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180221_151545 (resized).jpgIMG_20180221_151545 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180221_143534 (resized).jpgIMG_20180221_143534 (resized).jpg

#5488 6 years ago

To the guys that have the LED COLORDMD installed, does it also happen with you

1) Skill shot - when you get RED, ORANGE or YELLOW awards, the respective colors are appearing when the award animation is transitioning, but by the time the game actually gives you the award, the RED, ORANGE and YELLOW lines are presented in WHITE.

2) Same thing for the JET BUMPERS ADDED award... The YELLOW color appears on the transition animation, but when it comes to stop, it's GREY and WHITE!

BTW, I'm running ROM 8.4H.

#5489 6 years ago

You mean 9.4H rom? I just put a colordmd in my game. Only funny thing I saw was some distoration during mb start animation when a friend was playing. It had a bunch of random lines all over the display. Only saw that once. On my other colordmd game MET, I have seen it loose color for a bit and then go back to color for a second or two during animations. Thatis pretty rare though. How often does that happen on yours?

#5490 6 years ago

On 9.4h mine has bugged out if you hit fast lock and get into MB really fast. It went all white and stayed white for all following animations until ball over then went back to normal. This on lcd version.

I’ll pay more attention to the bumper awards next time I’m playing.

#5491 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I bought some flat round disc magnets at Home Depot. When I first installed the magnet with a single layer of double-sided foam tape I had the same problem of the magnet holding the ball too tight. I added a second layer of double-sided foam tape and that made the amount of magnetic force just right. You may want to try doing similar.

#5492 6 years ago
Quoted from freegame450:

I bought some flat round disc magnets at Home Depot. When I first installed the magnet with a single layer of double-sided foam tape I had the same problem of the magnet holding the ball too tight. I added a second layer of double-sided foam tape and that made the amount of magnetic force just right. You may want to try doing similar.

Thx. Yeah the magnet I bought is so strong it now has an inch of screws surrounding. You have to pry them off

#5493 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

To the guys that have the LED COLORDMD installed, does it also happen with you
1) Skill shot - when you get RED, ORANGE or YELLOW awards, the respective colors are appearing when the award animation is transitioning, but by the time the game actually gives you the award, the RED, ORANGE and YELLOW lines are presented in WHITE.
2) Same thing for the JET BUMPERS ADDED award... The YELLOW color appears on the transition animation, but when it comes to stop, it's GREY and WHITE!
BTW, I'm running ROM 8.4H.

Usually when the animations go grey it's because something happens that wasn't colored. Like on my Stern Star Trek it happens when you get a character combo... or when I set the replay to extra ball.

Color DMD basically expects you to use a certain ROM version, so if the one you are using is older, newer or custom, you'll see more non colored scenes. They had me send them a video.

#5494 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Usually when the animations go grey it's because something happens that wasn't colored. Like on my Stern Star Trek it happens when you get a character combo... or when I set the replay to extra ball.
Color DMD basically expects you to use a certain ROM version, so if the one you are using is older, newer or custom, you'll see more non colored scenes. They had me send them a video.

Interesting, I've noticed the same thing on another game "family guy" using the latest roms- I can replicate it by 1. starting sexy party and then shooting the scoop when stewie pinball is ready. 2. having crazy chris running when tv wizard mode starts.

Mentioned it to colordmd about a month ago with no response. Maybe they just need to complete/update the coloring file?

#5495 6 years ago

I think that's the long and short of it. I imagine it generally comes down to how much the colorist wants to go back and complete the job I guess.

#5496 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

You mean 9.4H rom? I just put a colordmd in my game. Only funny thing I saw was some distoration during mb start animation when a friend was playing. It had a bunch of random lines all over the display. Only saw that once. On my other colordmd game MET, I have seen it loose color for a bit and then go back to color for a second or two during animations. Thatis pretty rare though. How often does that happen on yours?

Yep, 9.4H...

Quoted from gunstarhero:

Just published the videos below and sent'em the links...

#5497 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I got mine from Home Depot or Lowe's. It is square with a small foam sticky. It is on the thin side. It has only dropped the ball once since installed.
I found some thicker non sticky magnets there also but think they may not let the ball go!

#5499 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yep, 9.4H...

Just published the videos below and sent'em the links...
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Your _first_ video is not the way mine works; the color on mine stays, as you'd think it should.

Your _second_ video is exactly the way mine works. I never considered that a problem, because it _is_ colored, in grey and white, like several other effects (the "GAME OVER", for example).

#5500 6 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

This works perfectly:
ebay.com link » Cms Magnetics N52 Neodymium Magnet 3 4 X 1 16 W 3m Adhesive Package Of 10

thx...sucks buying 10..ill prob check home depot....great suggestions!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

There are 15,209 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.