New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 63352)

Twilight Zone Owner's club

By Caucasian2Step

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,123 posts
  • 665 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Piso
  • Topic is favorited by 356 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,330 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201022_203946 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201021-224551__01__02 (resized).jpg
20200924_110812 (resized).jpg
20201019_172212 (resized).jpg
20200930_163810 (resized).jpg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1601711328911_6718064233699841301 (resized).jpeg
20200901_101510 (resized).jpg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1600152646613_6711526646303494994 (resized).jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1601710152963_6718059301413753477 (resized).jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1602618534107_6721869328082132518 (resized).jpeg
20200727_164529 (resized).jpg
EFB439FD-48AD-4E7F-9532-C4C65395F1C2 (resized).jpeg
0119AEEB-03F3-48EA-96D4-D8F60A8F5A1F (resized).jpeg
4BE9D92C-2A96-4666-8EAD-6C5B7E4A09A5 (resized).jpeg
AEB6DCCF-EEF5-4436-A5F9-5BFE5DC5930C (resized).jpeg
5684A5A9-3508-4D3D-AB00-B155D222CF3D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 9123 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 183.
#5151 2 years ago

Was hoping I could get some direction before I start waving my solder sucker all over the board.... Have a beautiful to me TZ that has basically a row of lights (The camera, Spiral 10 million, left inlane, etc) all remaining lit though dimming on occasion. From the manual the all relate to J133 and Q86. As the board looked like cheese when I got the game I decided instead of fixing the light issue I would just get a Rottendog replacement. Installed that and the Same exact problem?? Am I looking in the wrong place? Possibly one of the supplemental boards? Hard to think this is on the new board. My only thought was to replace the plug on J133 but I was hoping for Any help or advice. My TZ is haunted!!!! But we love it.

#5152 2 years ago

Likely a short on the row wire somewhere. The row wire is shorted to another wire. Unlikely up in the backbox at all.

#5153 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Likely a short on the row wire somewhere. The row wire is shorted to another wire. Unlikely up in the backbox at all.

Thank you. Possibly a bad diode on one,of those lamps?

#5154 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thank you. Possibly a bad diode on one,of those lamps?

Not for a whole row. A bad diode would cause noticeable ghosting on another lamp one or two lamps only.

#5155 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not for a whole row. A bad diode would cause noticeable ghosting on another lamp one or two lamps only.

Thank you so much for the direction! As many of the bulb sockets look clugy is it possible one of those sockets is grounded across the insulator or just bad? Looking at the wire I didn’t see anything blatant obvious.

#5156 2 years ago

Hi Coyote,
Do you have any thoughts on how to brighten up the 'Lock area" of my TZ? I got LEDs installed. thank you.

#5157 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

and when I lifted my TAF PF up, I realized that I ain't got the skills (and the guts) to disassemble/reassemble all the mechs

Go for it! Take photos as you go and dive in. Plenty of folks here to help if needed, or if something goes wrong. (better to practice on a working pin, than a broken pin, since you can assume if it stops working, just recheck what you touched)

#5158 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So... today I intended to tackle that issue (I'm planning on putting a film protector on the ball-trough), and when I lifted my TAF PF up, I realized that I ain't got the skills (and the guts) to disassemble/reassemble all the mechs.... I'll have to call my tech support....

It's not hard, remove the 4 screws from the trough bottom, then the 4 screws from the switch plate, then just slide it on out.

#5159 2 years ago

Hey. I noticed my 2 flasher on right side stopped working. I tried new bulbs but that didn't help. I've done diagnostics and left side are fine but right dead. Any one else had this issue ?

20180114_193635 (resized).jpg

#5160 2 years ago

I'm selling some of the mods removed off my game. All have leds and work. Prices include domestic shipping. PM me if interested.

Talky Tina - looks hand painted and very well done - $200
Dead End Lamp - looks like real metal and detailed - $100
Camera - hand painted but kinda rough looking to be honest - $30

camera1 (resized).jpg

camera2 (resized).jpg

camera3 (resized).jpg

camera4 (resized).jpg

lamp1 (resized).jpg

lamp2 (resized).jpg

lamp3 (resized).jpg

tina1 (resized).jpg

tina2 (resized).jpg

tina3 (resized).jpg

#5161 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I'm selling some of the mods removed off my game. All have leds and work. Prices include domestic shipping. PM me if interested.
Talky Tina - looks hand painted and very well done - $200
Dead End Lamp - looks like real metal and detailed - $100
Camera - hand painted but kinda rough looking to be honest - $30

TT on eBay $120 ebay.com link » Twilight Zone Pinball Talking Tina Mod With Interactive Led Ball
Someone bought it I guess

Added over 3 years ago: ebay.com link » Twilight Zone Pinball Talking Tina Mod With Interactive Led Ball

#5162 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

Hey. I noticed my 2 flasher on right side stopped working. I tried new bulbs but that didn't help. I've done diagnostics and left side are fine but right dead. Any one else had this issue ?

It sounds like one of your wires broke off that joins those two or a connector came off. Check closely for both of these as you trace the wires back. The other scenario is to reseat your connectors on your boards in the backbox but I would check under the playfield first.

#5163 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

It sounds like one of your wires broke off that joins those two or a connector came off. Check closely for both of these as you trace the wires back. The other scenario is to reseat your connectors on your boards in the backbox but I would check under the playfield first.

Do mods make a difference ? I was wondering if a few led mods might cause a change...

Also I noticed this while poking about...any ideas why these connectors have brown marks?

20180114_204921 (resized).jpg

#5164 2 years ago

Do mods make a difference ? I was wondering if a few led mods might cause a change...

Yes, but LEDs draw less than bulbs, so not much.

Also I noticed this while poking about...any ideas why these connectors have brown marks?

J120 and J121 are GI connectors that draw a lot of current and got hot and have burned over the years. (playfield, backbox, coindoor, topper) The connector and the header (part it plugs in to) need to be replaced. Switching to LED GI bulbs would draw less in the future.

#5165 2 years ago

Ideally you should replace both the connector and the header block. If you have LEDs now and it's working then I suppose you could get away without doing it. If it were me it would always be playing on my mind though... burnt connectors are never good.

Pin 10 on that J121 connector is properly scorched, so I'd imagine the male pins are similarly damaged. Is your G.I. working now?

#5166 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

TT on eBay $120 ebay.com link » Twilight Zone Pinball Talking Tina Mod With Interactive Led Ball

Prices are negotiable of course. I don't know the history of these mods or how easy they are to find. Just got the game and it had too many mods for my tastes. The Tina mod looks a lot better than some I have seen online. It's really well done. I look around and don't see anywhere where you can buy one. Your link is to an ended listing. The lamp also looks pretty good and more detailed than ones I found online. Previous owner talked up all the mods on the game saying most were high end mods no longer available. I think that was a bit of a stretch but some truth to it.

#5167 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Your link is to an ended listing.

Man, let me tell you: this pinsider's thing is to go thru every for sale post or ad here on pinside, and post a link to the same product selling somewhere else...

And he doesn't even own a TZ.... Talk about jealousy!

#5168 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Go for it! Take photos as you go and dive in. Plenty of folks here to help if needed, or if something goes wrong. (better to practice on a working pin, than a broken pin, since you can assume if it stops working, just recheck what you touched)

Quoted from gunstarhero:

It's not hard, remove the 4 screws from the trough bottom, then the 4 screws from the switch plate, then just slide it on out.

Thanks for the encouragement words! Let me see if I grow some balls this week!

#5169 2 years ago

There needs to be a bumper sticker, "nobody wants your doll and sticker collection from your pinball machine"

#5170 2 years ago

Why is (was) the doll attached to the Battle the Power ramp? The only time she appears is when earning an extra ball non?

#5171 2 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Ideally you should replace both the connector and the header block. If you have LEDs now and it's working then I suppose you could get away without doing it. If it were me it would always be playing on my mind though... burnt connectors are never good.
Pin 10 on that J121 connector is properly scorched, so I'd imagine the male pins are similarly damaged. Is your G.I. working now?

Thanks...i will. Where do I buy these electrical things please ? I've only seen the cosmetics side of pinball on sites.

#5172 2 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Just want to say thanks. It's fixed and it was as you thought

#5173 2 years ago

Just want to say thanks. It's fixed and it was as you thought

The connectors or the wires?

#5174 2 years ago

Thanks...i will. Where do I buy these electrical things please ? I've only seen the cosmetics side of pinball on sites.

Search for Molex headers and housings. Off the top of my head you want .152 (correction: .156) pitch. Depending on supplier you’ll need to buy pins seperately. Also you will need a crimping tool. The pins with three sides of contact are the best, I know Digikey has them.

#5175 2 years ago

All available from Ed at GPE for for good prices:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=37

The pitch is .156.

#5176 2 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

The pitch is .156.

Ah, yep I was close, correcting. And I always try to use the Trifurcon type connectors as they make a nice solid contact with the header pins.

Don’t forget the crimper... regular wire crimpers will not work for any of these.

#5177 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Man, let me tell you: this pinsider's thing is to go thru every for sale post or ad here on pinside, and post a link to the same product selling somewhere else...
And he doesn't even own a TZ.... Talk about jealousy!

Umm, I do own a TZ, and the FEW times I’ve seen something for sale that is overpriced I’ve posted about it. No need to get ripped off here. The Talking Tina mod I linked to above ended after I posted a link but there are still some for sale overeseas for about 160 new. Is it a 200 used mod? Mr. Rio’s decals and plastics are often way overpriced and if I can save another Pinsider from getting ripped of I will.

#5178 2 years ago

Dang. Not trying to rip anyone off or anger the pinside price police. There's not much info on these mods so that's why I put up several pics to show everything about them. Not trying to fool nobody. I don't see the Tina mod for sale anywhere. All out of stock. The point is that I have them and looking to see if anyone is interested in buying them.

#5179 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Umm, I do own a TZ, and the FEW times I’ve seen something for sale that is overpriced I’ve posted about it. No need to get ripped off here. The Talking Tina mod I linked to above ended after I posted a link but there are still some for sale overeseas for about 160 new. Is it a 200 used mod? Mr. Rio’s decals and plastics are often way overpriced and if I can save another Pinsider from getting ripped of I will.

Oh yes, you're correct..., you actually don't own the 10 other games that I do, and nevertheless you follow me at each and respective club thread.

Again, talk about jealousy....

#5180 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Ah, yep I was close, correcting. And I always try to use the Trifurcon type connectors as they make a nice solid contact with the header pins.
Don’t forget the crimper... regular wire crimpers will not work for any of these.

Like these?

#5181 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Dang. Not trying to rip anyone off or anger the pinside price police. There's not much info on these mods so that's why I put up several pics to show everything about them. Not trying to fool nobody. I don't see the Tina mod for sale anywhere. All out of stock. The point is that I have them and looking to see if anyone is interested in buying them.

It’s all good man, I’m sure your not trying to rip anyone off here. I see you are correct in the Tina mod not being available anywhere but it was yesterday via eBay but the listing ended. And props to you for removing some mods from your TZ.

Added over 3 years ago: Just relisted
ebay.com link » Twilight Zone Pinball Talking Tina Mod With Interactive Led Ball

#5182 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Oh yes, you're correct..., you actually don't own the 10 other games that I do, and nevertheless you follow me at each and respective club thread.
Again, talk about jealousy....

Can you kids please take your drama somewhere else?

#5183 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

And props to you for removing some mods from your TZ.

What's funny is that the game has all these mods but not the two that I the most - Robby the robot and the car. Sucker for car and robot stuff. I guess I am keeping the rest of the mods. I wouldn't buy them new but since they are already on the game why not.

#5184 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

What's funny is that the game has all these mods but not the two that I the most - Robby the robot and the car. Sucker for car and robot stuff. I guess I am keeping the rest of the mods. I wouldn't buy them new but since they are already on the game why not.

Oh, you still do miss a very important one...

#5185 2 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Hi Coyote,
Do you have any thoughts on how to brighten up the 'Lock area" of my TZ? I got LEDs installed. thank you.

Now that I'm back on my laptop, I can type without it taking thirty minutes per sentence...

That area is difficult - you cannot put anything under the plastic, as the plastic rests on the lock cage. IMHO, your best bet would be to get a spotlight, bend the mount and mount it to the upper right back screw in the clock housing. But depending on how big the spot it, it may not 'flood' the area the well.

#5186 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Now that I'm back on my laptop, I can type without it taking thirty minutes per sentence...
That area is difficult - you cannot put anything under the plastic, as the plastic rests on the lock cage. IMHO, your best bet would be to get a spotlight, bend the mount and mount it to the upper right back screw in the clock housing. But depending on how big the spot it, it may not 'flood' the area the well.

Maybe attach a standard bulb housing there and then use one of those bendy LEDs?

Personally though I think it looks fine if your ball slips away into the shadows, especially in an area where you don’t need to track it.

#5187 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Personally though I think it looks fine if your ball slips away into the shadows, especially in an area where you don’t need to track it.

Into the... TWILIGHT?

#5188 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Into the... TWILIGHT?

Hmmm... that gets me thinking... Perhaps a UV LED tucked back in there might provide the proper ambiance?

#5189 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

excellent Coyote. I will see if comet has a spotlight that diffuses light well. I really appreciate the opinion.

#5190 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Maybe attach a standard bulb housing there and then use one of those bendy LEDs?

Good Idea and good point.

#5191 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Hmmm... that gets me thinking... Perhaps a UV LED tucked back in there might provide the proper ambiance?

I think that would be worth a try. I used a deep blue (perhaps UV) under the playfield pointed towards the scoop at the end of the shooter lane and I think it looks awesome.

#5192 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Robbys my fav and there seems to be 2 on the market and an invader. I have the forbidden planet Robby. I also have a mini tv which plays episodes of the show..thats kinds amazing. Makes everyone go...wow that's a mini tv! Lol

#5193 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I think that would be worth a try. I used a deep blue (perhaps UV) under the playfield pointed towards the scoop at the end of the shooter lane and I think it looks awesome.

That sounds like a good idea.
thanks

#5194 2 years ago

Another vote for CraZyMuffin mini TV mod, it's awesome!

279AF4FA-D5B1-415F-8CDE-19F5F8F5D8A9 (resized).jpeg

#5195 2 years ago
Quoted from jzdziarski:

Can you kids please take your drama somewhere else?

I got you, but let me say just one last thing... If that pinsider really wanted to positively contribute, (which he clearly doesn't), the right way to do it would be to send a PrivateMsg to the seller, saying "hey dude, I came across your ad, but don't you think your product is a bit overpriced? I saw the same item at xxx.com and it's cheaper than yours...".

The way he does, including his last post to jawjaw, is definitely/plain wrong. Typical attitude of a bitter person...

And I also got a question... Did I, by any chance, ever rip anyone off here? If someone feels that way, please, Mr.Rio begs you to come and post here.

#5196 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I got you, but let me say just one last thing... If that pinsider really wanted to positively contribute, (which he clearly doesn't), the right way to do it would be to send a PrivateMsg to the seller, saying "hey dude, I came across your ad, but don't you think your product is a bit overpriced? I saw the same item at xxx.com and it's cheaper than yours...".
The way he does, including his last post to jawjaw, is definitely/plain wrong. Typical attitude of a bitter person...
And I also got a question... Did I, by any chance, ever rip anyone off here? If someone feels that way, please, Mr.Rio begs you to come and post here.

Just for clarification I didn’t post about your high priced Congo decals. I provided a link AFTER another PinSide member pointed out they were for sale for much less than $40.00. Geez

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-inlane-decals#post-4174979

#5197 2 years ago

That was one of many... I rest my case.

#5198 2 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Another vote for CraZyMuffin mini TV mod, it's awesome!

It's a great mod imo. It can be used anywhere in or out of the machine and the seller is super friendly and helpful.

Also what's the full colour dmd like ? Is it worth the extra cost ior just a fun optional extra ?

#5199 2 years ago

Two questions:

1) is the clock board easy to swap out?
And is there a guide or video anywhere online.

2) I can't find a crystal clear clock housing. Can anyone help me ?

tzone-0008 (resized).jpg

#5200 2 years ago

Here is a guide to removing the clock board:
http://www.german-pinball-modular.de/tz-clock-instruction-english.html

That guide talks about replacing the clock board in situ. I've never done it before, but it sounds like the clock can be removed completely from the playfield by just disconnecting the cables underneath. It seems to me that this would make the job a lot easier and not risk losing clips etc down holes?

If your clock is already dead on 12 o'clock then make sure you don't fiddle with the gears while playing with it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 9123 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 183.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside