IMG_0402 (resized).JPG
IMG_0401 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
tz_ball_shooter_lane_feeder (resized).png
IMG_5127 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5897 Updated 9.4H manual with corrections from Coyote Posted by Coyote (5 years ago)

Post #8716 Have your picture taken in the translight Posted by Neal_W (3 years ago)

Post #10381 Switching to stereo sound. Posted by hawknole (2 years ago)

Post #11803 How to Add 3rd Magnet. Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #11810 Third Magnet Parts List Posted by mbaumle (2 years ago)

Post #13048 Board replacement options. Posted by DumbAss (1 year ago)

Post #14049 Flipper cabinet opto board data Posted by DumbAss (10 months ago)

Post #14166 More key board data Posted by DumbAss (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 15,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 305.
#1 10 years ago

Here's the Pinside spot for all the TZ owners and lovers to post pics and discuss the finer points of the most righteous pinball game ever produced. I'm going to start off with some images of my game that I brought to the Dory Hill campground event a few weeks ago. This particular game had a fresh set of rubbers (yellow on the big and red on the small flippers) a steep setting and the outlane posts removed. During the pin-golf tourney the par was set to 75 million and only Kevin Carroll of Lyons Classic Pinball got a hole in one the entire weekend.

Show and tell TZ time is here!

Enjoy...

TZ_DoryHill.4.jpgTZ_DoryHill.4.jpg TZ_DoryHill.5.jpgTZ_DoryHill.5.jpg TZ_DoryHill.jpgTZ_DoryHill.jpg

#2 10 years ago

You can see Zen (Nigh Omnipotus) playing a round and the LEDs were so bright that you could literally see the stars on your pinball as it travelled across the PF. Robert Redford is portraying death in the background on the other side of the cabin window. TZ_DoryHill.7.jpgTZ_DoryHill.7.jpg TZ_DoryHill.8.jpgTZ_DoryHill.8.jpg TZ_DoryHill.6.jpgTZ_DoryHill.6.jpg

#3 10 years ago

I've asked this before but figure I might try and annoy a group of TZ owners. Does anyone have tips for getting the slot machine to shoot out more to the right? I get a lot of SDTM straight from the slot machine and it can kill the enjoyment of a great game.

#4 10 years ago

I have bent the top of the VUK down to one side to get the desired direction. I have mine aimed at the tip of the right flipper so sometimes it will go to the body of the flipper and other times you really need to activate to save the ball.

#5 10 years ago

Your slot scoop probably just needs to be turned a bit more counter clockwise. When you go to remove and remount the scoop, clean away the wood bits that have "extruded" themselves from the level of the playfield's underside. It's these bits that have worked themselves into the shape of the larger holes of the scoops mounts, hereby only allowing it to be mounted in one location. Remove that stuff, and the gap between the size of the screw and the size of the mounting holes becomes usable again.

The scoop's mounted direction may only change a fraction of a degree, but the trajectory's end point will shift dramatically. It did on mine. Mine usually hits the right flipper just left of center and depending on what shot I'm going for, bounces over to the other flipper with reliable repeatability.

Also, make sure all your metal is square and true and that the kicker solenoid is mounted straight as well.

#6 10 years ago

Proud to be a card carrying member of this club -- TZ is my favorite game!

#8 10 years ago

Glad to see this thread up and running. Here is the scoop on my new TZ which I have paid for but yet to have shipped:

Was a routed pin for the first 6-8 weeks of its life and has been home use since

No cab fade
Excellent playfield
New Rottendog clock board a year ago
LEDs throughout
Upgraded sound/speakers
Invisiglass
Cliffy
some sort of a round glass mod
leg protectors

I paid $6700 for it. I'm concerned I may have paid too much but it does look like it is in really nice shape and has some decent upgrades.

I'm looking forward to playing TZ. I've only put a handful of games on location and have played on the pinball arcade.

I would like to hear your opinions on my pin specifically (only some decent low res photos) and any pointers for a TZ newb. (Sorry for the low res somewhat overexposed photos...that is all I have currently)

Thanks,

Darin

TZ_(3).JPGTZ_(3).JPG TZ_(1).JPGTZ_(1).JPG TZ_(2).JPGTZ_(2).JPG TZ_(5).JPGTZ_(5).JPG

#9 10 years ago

few more:

TZ_(7).JPGTZ_(7).JPG

#10 10 years ago

TZ is my all-time favorite pin (well it swaps the #1 spot with STTNG from time to time). Love the theme, layout, loaded with features and things to do. You can mod it out endlessly to keep it fresh. It's just an all-around great game and not all games need to have lightning flow to be great. This one is a permanent member of my collection for sure, it’s been there for 2.5 years now at still is the most played.

The must have mods:
Mirrored blades
Robby
Diverter magnet
LEDs
German Clock board w/blue housing
Gumballs and gumball lights
Door flashers
Cliffy protectors
Upgraded Speakers
Piano Mod (forgot this one)

The rest are per taste but, those are musts IMO.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Robby

The rest are per taste but, those are musts IMO.

Robby a must?

To me the only musts are the piano, and powerfield switch kit.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Robby a must?

To me the only musts are the piano, and powerfield switch kit.

Robby is a must IMO (yours may differ) but, yah I forgot about the piano. I will edit.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

powerfield switch kit

Really? The kit that makes the switches look nicer? I have no interest in that.

I'm not really a mod guy, but TZ has several tasteful mods. Example: Gumballs.

I have a Robby and need to wire up his LEDs.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Really? The kit that makes the switches look nicer? I have no interest in that.

Yeah looks 100X better. No big ugly gray switch covers dominating the Powerfield.

#15 10 years ago

Gumballs make the Gumball machine... well, look like a gumball Machine. It's such a good mod that you look for when it's not there and wonder: "Where are the Gumballs?"

#16 10 years ago

Love my TZ
TZ is in my collection since 2005.
Early production, green lock, white clock-face, cut out stars translite, Posts with rubbers in the Town Square.

Mods in mine are :
Gumballs
Piano
El wire on wire-ramps (very dim at 6.3V)
RGB-LED strip behind Rod Sterling and the door.
Flashing leds behind the plastics of powerfield, activated by REED-switches.

Great theme with nice modes refering to the shows. And the Twilight Zone song of Golden Earring .
Love the stop and go type of game when accompanied with fast flow pins.

MM-tilttopper02.JPGMM-tilttopper02.JPG

#17 10 years ago

That website is very informative. I'm gonna get to the flippers with some Goo-Gone when I get home!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

paid $6700 for it. I'm concerned I may have paid too much but it does look like it is in really nice shape and has some decent upgrades.

I would like to hear your opinions on my pin specifically (only some decent low res photos) and any pointers for a TZ newb. (Sorry for the low res somewhat overexposed photos...that is all I have currently)

Darin... I'm not going to comment on price. Only you can tell if a price is a good value for you.

To the best of my ability with the low res pics, it looks like a nice machine. (Unfortunately, most games look nice with low res pictures!)

I just noticed there is something funky with the GUMBALL sign. Is the bulb missing? It should have a rubber cover on it but I don't see it. Maybe a result of getting LEDs?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

That website is very informative.

Thanks! Good to hear it's useful... I only occasionally get feedback.

#20 10 years ago

Here's some of mine...still my favorite machine...

GLM mini switches and post GI (blue) and Flashers(White) on mini pf

Blue clock housing, led clock board

Rocket ship, t bird, slot machine and piano toys

Backboard is a lit PDI piece

Glowing blue and seizure RGB flashers under cabinet

Just got the topper after a long quest...love it...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#21 10 years ago

What gumballs did everyone buy? I bought a set from Pinball Life and they look nice, but they are what appears to be almost ceramic. Having a difficult time getting them into the pinball machine and worried about cracking an irreplaceable part. The other ones seem to be plastic and maybe have a bit more give to them and wondering if I should look at picking up those to be safe.

Mod wise I really have none. I do want the glowing slot scoop and the mod that lights up the clock. Maybe even the light shade that says Twilight Zone on it. But not going to add many that add toys to the playfield, I'm more a light guy.

MK6PIN - Love the lighting on that. I need to work on mine.

#22 10 years ago

Oh yea...cliffs, camera mod...and if you can't tell, I don't take great pics .....I'll post again tomorrow

#23 10 years ago

sturner....thanks..I'm one of the few that is not thrilled about Robby....might be that it sort of clutters the middle too much for me.....

#24 10 years ago

Oops pinball side mirrors " black wet" gives a nice reflection, not as bright as the chrome mirrors..

#25 10 years ago

I paid $6700 for it. I'm concerned I may have paid too much but it does look like it is in really nice shape and has some decent upgrades.

It seems like a fair price. There are the price police who will tell you how you could wait 3 years scouring Craigslist, Ebay, and other sources for one at a lower price. But if it's a machine you want now, and you value your time, I don't think it's bad.

It's technically $6450 if you factor the invisiglass is a $250 add-on that can be used in other machines. After that the if the cabinet doesn't have fade, that has value since so many of them do. New decals alone are close to $300 and you're looking at an additional $700 to have a pro put them on or a few weekends of your time.

When it comes to machines like this, it's tough to put a fair value on because there are only so many out there, only so many for sale, only so many in that condition. Not to mention how much work you want to put in on it. I think you did fine, you got a great game in great condition (which is rare).

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

sturner....thanks..I'm one of the few that is not thrilled about Robby....might be that it sort of clutters the middle too much for me.....

Just curious, have you tried that LED OCD thing being sold? I'm putting one on my TZ before switching over to LED. Supposedly gets rid of the strobe effect in the inserts.

#27 10 years ago

Powerball orbit shot the with the spiral mode going. Best shot in the game Imo!

#28 10 years ago

Thanks for the input. It helps fight the buyer's remorse and second guessing. Now I just need to get this baby in my home. I'm sure that will help quite a bit.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Just curious, have you tried that LED OCD thing being sold? I'm putting one on my TZ before switching over to LED. Supposedly gets rid of the strobe effect in the inserts.

Funny you should ask this: I've got my LED OCD board downstairs and ready to go into my TZ. I initially completely LED'd it, but the door panels blinking/strobing was waaayyyy too much, so I ended up taking most of them out. I'm really hopeful the board does the job, because TZ needs to get a little more lit up-especially with all the different shots and lit inserts.
Unfortunately, I'm swamped with my kids right now, so who the hell knows when I'm going to get a chance to put it in. I'll report back once I get it in to let everyone know how it works.

#30 10 years ago

Will post some pics of mine tomorrow.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Proud to be a card carrying member of this club

My card is laminated.

#32 10 years ago

Thanks for the input. It helps fight the buyer's remorse and second guessing. Now I just need to get this baby in my home. I'm sure that will help quite a bit.

zero fade and from what anyone can tell, the playfield seems to be in awesome shape. throw out 250 for the glass and the price seems to be pretty good, imho. what a great game!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Thanks! Good to hear it's useful... I only occasionally get feedback.

just finished shopping mine out. second pin I have taken down to the play field and I used your site for the entire process. it was really really helpful!

#34 10 years ago

My TZ gets delivered tomorrow. I know there is a clock issue and its dirty, but I can't wait. Trying to get it playing and looking perfect is half the fun.

Seriously, love the theme and gameplay has grown on me via my iPad.

#35 10 years ago

Tz is my first pin. Bought it earlier this year in spring. I always wanted my own pin since I was a child, and was looking to buy one as my last purchase as an unmarried man. Took my fiancé (now wife) to the Texas pinball festival last year so we could play lots of different machines in person and see was i could afford. There were so many! We really got a good sense of what we liked.

When the night was over, TZ was not only my favorite but hers as well. She liked it so much she recommended I just save up more money and go big with TZ rather than settle for something we would just trade later. The wedding and honeymoon were already paid for at that point, and I already had a house for her to move into. A few paychecks later and some fiercely frugal living and I got a wonderfully clean and non-faded TZ for what I felt was a fair price. All it needed was a few tweaks, but was 100% functional. We got married a month later, and my wife takes pride in the fact I keep the machine in beautiful shape and working order.

Currently I'm working on a mod that will turn the 545 bulb slots into self-blinking led slots. That way I can stick any 555 replacement led into the slot and it will blink with a fade-in/fade out like real 545 bulbs (there seems to be no 545 LEDs with a fading function. Not even noflix plus). I have the circuit done and breadboarded, so all I have to do now is start building the PCB.

Btw, so anyone with incandescent 545 bulbs tell me the ballpark period at which they blink? My circuit is currently designed to a period of 3 secs more or less.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

What gumballs did everyone buy?

These are the gumballs I bought:

http://www.tgftoys.com/Pressman-Toy-Chinese-Checkers-1902-06A.htm

I didn't buy it from this online store, mind you. I managed to find it for sale at a local teacher's supply store. Same price, though. Plastic, not 100% shiny, they look the part perfectly. I removed the black ones(since I've never seen a black gumball) and evenly distributed each color into the two sides. Four bucks and 5 minutes later, blam! Cheapest TZ mod ever!

#37 10 years ago

I think I'll be picking up a TZ this Sunday - unearthing it from a basement where it has been sitting, unused and not maintained for quite some time. Pretty excited and will post pictures if the deal happens!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

What gumballs did everyone buy? I bought a set from Pinball Life and they look nice, but they are what appears to be almost ceramic. Having a difficult time getting them into the pinball machine and worried about cracking an irreplaceable part. The other ones seem to be plastic and maybe have a bit more give to them and wondering if I should look at picking up those to be safe.

I have the ceramic ones. First one is indeed scary.... You have to use a little force, and just when you think, owww the plastic is going to break....they pop in.
(not for the faint of heart )

#39 10 years ago

Can I join the club? Here are a few more recent pics of my TZ, and here is a link to my TZ shop /show n' tell thread.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tz-shop-job-finally-complete

2012-12-13_20-41-25_225.jpg2012-12-13_20-41-25_225.jpg

// Error: Image 134381 not found //

// Error: Image 134382 not found //

2012-12-13_20-43-14_767.jpg2012-12-13_20-43-14_767.jpg

// Error: Image 134384 not found //

#40 10 years ago

Yay, Colorado TZ owners!

My first, only, and all time favorite game.

#41 10 years ago

Sturner....I'm full on LEDs...non ghosters in crucial spots...going to try the OCD thing, but the strobing isn't so bad on the inserts ( or my eyes don't see it)...seems pretty stable, but anxious to play w that thing....

#42 10 years ago

The only thing that ghosts is my $&@!$ Camera....love the Camera, hoping the board makes it go away....

#43 10 years ago

My coolest find though.... ( besides the topper)...found at the same time on eBay w set for my TAF...I don't sit down when I play, but way cool accessory....

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My coolest find though.... ( besides the topper)...found at the same time on eBay w set for my TAF...I don't sit down when I play, but way cool accessory....

Holy shit on the ceiling...that's awesome!!!

#45 10 years ago

Thanks....I dig the "glow"....I'll try to shoot some video on the mini pf post flashers w under cab strobing during " the power".....close to seizure light show ( might not be a good thing)...

#46 10 years ago

MK6PIN, The topper was hot. Me likey. The seat cracked me up.

The only mods I have on my game are the Gumballs and in the pics at the top of the string you can see the Astronauts (from The Invaders episode) and the Robbie the Robot bobbleheads. They work great if you want an idea of how hard you really shook the table.

Makes me wonder what we will see next?!?

#47 10 years ago

You just need to change it to MEMBERS ONLY..

#48 10 years ago

Mine

IMG_0069.jpgIMG_0069.jpg

#49 10 years ago

I'm ashamed to show mine because it has too many mods and I don't like them anymore

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm ashamed to show mine because it has too many mods and I don't like them anymore

Mods are fine. I have plenty on mine and I love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-owners-club/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.