(Topic ID: 119565)

Twilight Zone or Indiana Jones (Williams)

By FishPharm

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bigd1979
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“If you could only buy one which would it be?”

• Indiana Jones (Williams) 68 votes
    46%
  • Twilight Zone 79 votes
    54%

(147 votes)

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hey guys, I am looking to get another pin soon and was curious which pin people thought may be better. I've played each and eventually want to get both but can only get one in the near future. Any thoughts on this that people can share would be great.

#2 9 years ago

I have both and love both. TZ is harder. Ij is really fun also. Me I say tz first.

#3 9 years ago

I own both and they are both great examples of their respective genres.

IJ plays great for a wide body, some flow there, lots to do and never gets old...had mine since 2005.

TZ has ten times more stuff to accomplish but lots of stop n go, little to no real speed.

#4 9 years ago

Both!

#5 9 years ago

Haha...yep.. but I have to get one first Are they both around the same amount of cash?

#6 9 years ago

Agreed, get both if you can.

Both are similar in price and both are great pins. Can't go wrong with either.

#7 9 years ago

Seems like a lot of us like both and so have both. I'd hate to part with either. I'd say get whichever you can find first in reasonably good shape and at a reasonably good price. You'll likely end up buying both eventually.

#8 9 years ago

I just picked up a TZ and am loving it. Before I knew how to play it I thought it was way over rated. I recently got a lot of time on it and love it now. Indy is the same with me right now. Haven't had enough time on it, but what time I have had I just can't get into it. Love the theme though. I think both are great games when you are hitting your shots, but quickly can become clunkers that are hard to love when you are not.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I own both and they are both great examples of their respective genres.
IJ plays great for a wide body, some flow there, lots to do and never gets old...had mine since 2005.
TZ has ten times more stuff to accomplish but lots of stop n go, little to no real speed.

IJ has more actually. There are 12 modes, none of them being extra balls, or points or flat out awards. TZ seems like it has a lot, but TAF actually has more playable modes than TZ. TZ isn't the deepest game of the 90s like many seem to think.

Having said that, that doesn't take anything away from it. It's my second fav, and it's greatness comes from the implementation of everything.

For me, TAF first, TZ second, and the rest of my top 5 comes with IJ, TSPP and LOTR, but it's hard to figure out that order.

#10 9 years ago

Like everyone else who have both there's a reason we do. I can't image parting with either. But hold me to one and it would be TZ. Because I love being able to stack modes, and I can get into the wizard mode which I almost never do on IJ. That being said, every time I crank up the IJ after letting it sit for a while I renew my love of that one as well. Absolutely cannot go wrong with either.

#11 9 years ago

IJ is my grail pin. I love the TZ theme and hate the pin. IJ gives me a thrill and gets my heart pounding and makes me hit the start button over and over. TZ makes me want to put my fist through the glass.

Get a Well of Souls multiball, or the main multiball shooting for jackpots, and tell me your heart rate doesn't go through the roof. Classic stuff.

#12 9 years ago

had 3 TZs and 2 IJ's.
TZ all the way. IJ has better sound as it's on DCS, but that is the ONLY category it leads in.

#13 9 years ago

I have both and feel the same way beelzeboob does. Ironically I picked up my TZ 1st and fully restored her then scored my IJ and fell in love. I named both of them as grail pins while in pursuit. I don't know if I can ever let TZ go even though sometimes I want to smash it. The only way IJ is leaving is if I find one with a playfield as nice as Pinster68's. Almost everyone has to play TZ when they come over but all wind up the evening on IJ.

#14 9 years ago

I regret ever getting rid of my TZ. It does have a lot of stop and go, but it is just such a unique game that it never really got old for me. The powerball adds a faster experience to an otherwise slower paced game that gives it variety.

The IJ is a great theme with fun modes and even a few video modes. Some people don't like video modes, but they all tie in well with the theme and are well done. And opposite of TZ, the video modes tend to slow down a relatively faster paced game.

IJ will never leave and I will own another TZ down the road. I guess I didn't really help with any decisions Can't go wrong with either one.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts and input guys. Is one harder to find than another? Also, are they both in the same price range.....say 5k to 6k for one in good condition?

#16 9 years ago

I have had 45 pins in 7 years and these are #1 and 2 and I do not think any collection should be without either one. I consider IJ a hair ahead of TZ but just a hair.

#17 9 years ago

I have both and like both. but I would get a tz first then as fast as you can save up the money get an ij. and both can be had for well under 5k. just tell yourself that cabinet faid dosn't matter and you'll be fine.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

had 3 TZs and 2 IJ's.
TZ all the way. IJ has better sound as it's on DCS, but that is the ONLY category it leads in.

PinballSound is fixing that issue. TZ upgrade from them sounds fantastic!

#19 9 years ago

Yeah...but not with the IJ reorchestration. It STILL wins over TZ!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

Thanks for your thoughts and input guys. Is one harder to find than another? Also, are they both in the same price range.....say 5k to 6k for one in good condition?

I would say TZ is up for sale less. *IF* you have to choose, I would say get the TZ now if both are available. IJ's come up, and you want to search out a nice one, as they are prone to some of the worst cab fade and large insert wear of any machine.

#21 9 years ago

I'd say go with whichever theme you like the best. Both games have a lot of stuff going on and will keep you occupied for quite some time. Also both can be a pain until you get them all dialed in. My advise is that whatever your decision, do a full strip and clean of the playfield and replace any damaged parts and adjust it properly. Neither title is fun when you can't stick the mode saucer, mini playfield doesn't tilt correctly, clock is hosed or balls keep getting stuck in the gumball machine.

#22 9 years ago

No need to strip these down unless there is a problem. These playfields are fairly complex, and that's a lot of work to do a complete strip down and put it all back together again.

#23 9 years ago

IJ is not a complex playfield at all. I had mine stripped, cleaned, waxed and reassembled on a Saturday. TZ is complex, i'll give you that. It's better to have it freshly shopped and adjusted than to have to pull the glass off every 5 games or so to retrieve a stuck ball. I prefer to do it right upon acquisition and then enjoy playing it instead of hunting Gremlins for 6 months.

#24 9 years ago

TZ but I'm bias cause it's my favorite TV show

#25 9 years ago

TZ, but IJ is right behind it

#26 9 years ago

Indiana Jones. (My first game ever, and all time favorite).

Both are very good, of course. Do you prefer one theme over the other? (That's an easy tiebreaker).

#27 9 years ago

IJ has one major flaw IMO - the scoring is too imbalanced and the MB is too easy to restart.
If you are competing or trying for a high score you simply do one thing...

- shoot center to lock 3 balls and start multiball
- play MB for Jackpots and Super Jackpots

I personally found that this "issue" made the rest of the modes somewhat irrelevant.

TZ does not have this issue, as scoring is very balanced and high score opportunities require an equivalent level of execution to get to.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

IJ has one major flaw IMO - the scoring is too imbalanced and the MB is too easy to restart.
If you are competing or trying for a high score you simply do one thing...
- shoot center to lock 3 balls and start multiball
- play MB for Jackpots and Super Jackpots
I personally found that this "issue" made the rest of the modes somewhat irrelevant.

Yeah? So what's the problem with that?

And you can't get to Eternal Life MB if you don't complete all the modes. The ability to consistently hit that mode hole shot is essential...and it's a bitch.

#29 9 years ago

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I play pinball for fun and not score. This is in response to the post above mentioning a way to get lots of points on Indiana Jones.

I'm going to start a thread on this.

IJ and TZ are both great. Own them both or pick the one you like the best Cannot go wrong!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I play pinball for fun and not score.

If you removed scoring from pinball, it wouldn't be much fun at all
Try it and see -> block all the scores with a piece of tape and see how much fun it is playing.

The scoring IS one of the most important parts of the fun.

#31 9 years ago

Have both- both are great- but would have to give the nod to TZ- I find TZ to actually have more flow. IJ tough hitting those ramp shots narrow opening if miss ball clunks around.

#32 9 years ago

Yea I like tz better theres something about ij that idont like but id still like to own it oneday

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

block all the scores with a piece of tape and see how much fun it is playing.

IJ would still be pretty fun advancing through the modes.

Unless your machine is sert up on the easy side, continually wacking away at the center targets can be dangerous...although the software helps with hop-overs. Hard to pass up a chance at a cool billion points.

#34 9 years ago

had IJ

have TZ

TZ hands down - not even close

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

If you removed scoring from pinball, it wouldn't be much fun at all
The scoring IS one of the most important parts of the fun.

This is also a little iffy to be honest. We always talk aboot home vs tourney play, and that's got everything to do with scoring.
If someone owns a DW for example, they'd be a pretty bored owner just banging out sonic booms all day etc

#36 9 years ago

TZ by a long mile. But hey... that's just like my opinion, man.

#37 9 years ago

which one is the most fun to mod? For me, this is half the fun on the few pins I have.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This is also a little iffy to be honest. We always talk aboot home vs tourney play, and that's got everything to do with scoring.
If someone owns a DW for example, they'd be a pretty bored owner just banging out sonic booms all day etc

Yes - you're right in that you don't want to just throw away the rest of a game to only focus on the highest scoring opportunity. That can totally make a game "not fun". That's kind of my point, in that a game isn't as fun when it has imbalanced scoring.

I really enjoy IJ, and to overcome the imbalance we will agree at the beginning of a game to "no super jackpots". With that one simple rule, we can play/compete (for fun) without turning the game into a one dimensional multiball quest.

#39 9 years ago

Two of my fav shots in pinball. Number one being the captive ball in IJ, goddamn do I LOVE that shot. I don't know why, just feels like such a sweet shot, like picking off the death's star's thermal exhaust...ahhhh.

I also enjoy the camera shot in TZ, and raising the upper left flipper to shoot it with the upper right. Very cool thing there.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

YThat's kind of my point, in that a game isn't as fun when it has imbalanced scoring.

Fair point. Always better when it's perfectly balanced so the issue never comes up.

#41 9 years ago

TZ everyday of the week and twice on Sunday

#42 9 years ago

I own both of these games. They are very different. In terms of just overall fun, I would give the nod to IJ. The frustrating part of IJ is the mode shot: lots of bounce outs and backs. TZ is much more cerebral: the thinking person's pinball. People who don't know much about pinball gravitate toward IJ (familiarity with theme, sound,). My daughter used to dislike TZ when she first started playing: "too boring". Once she learned some skill shots and an appreciation of rulesets, TZ became a favourite. She rarely will play IJ. You really can't go wrong with either game, all said.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

I own both of these games. They are very different. In terms of just overall fun, I would give the nod to IJ. The frustrating part of IJ is the mode shot: lots of bounce outs and backs. TZ is much more cerebral: the thinking person's pinball. People who don't know much about pinball gravitate toward IJ (familiarity with theme, sound,). My daughter used to dislike TZ when she first started playing: "too boring". Once she learned some skill shots and an appreciation of rulesets, TZ became a favourite. She rarely will play IJ. You really can't go wrong with either game, all said.

What...am...I...missing?

This is the most frustrating thing in pinball for me. Intelligent people who know what they're talking about love TZ. I love the theme (I have every episode on DVD!), but every time I play the game, I hate hate hate it. It's so frustrating because I want to like it badly (I feel the same way to a lesser extent about ACDC). Even when the rules were explained to me, I couldn't take to it.

I must be wired wrong.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I must be wired wrong.

Diff'rent strokes man.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

which one is the most fun to mod?

No contest here. TZ is a modder's dream pin.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

No contest here. TZ is a modder's dream pin

Hmmm... some people don't like modding (raises hand). So I wouldn't count this as a plus. But then again, it's the buyers opinion that counts!

#47 9 years ago

The op said,

Quoted from FishPharm:For me, this is half the fun on the few pins I have.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Hmmm... some people don't like modding (raises hand). So I wouldn't count this as a plus. But then again, it's the buyers opinion that counts!

I agree, to a point. I'm not big on modding out my pins, but even I know that TZ is the #1 pin for modding in the entirety of the pinball hobby.

#49 9 years ago

Thanks guys for all the input so far. I noticed that many people seem to have BOTH pins....this says a lot in that fact that they are both awesome. Now the hard part comes to find them. I've seen prices in the past for these pins (at least in Florida) go for 5500 to 7k.

#50 9 years ago

I own both, I've owned them for close to 15 years. Neither are leaving. I would give TZ a slight edge.

Buy which ever one shows up first. They're easy to sell / swap later.

KR

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 132.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 29.00
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-or-indiana-jones-williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.