Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Smart_Bomb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

I am working on a Twilight Zone pinball machine and i am not getting any voltage to the flashers (lights under the domes and under the eye on mini playfield and middle light under the lamp post above mini playfield.

The wiring from they eye and spotlight are black wire with an orange spot every 3 or 4 inches and two solid red wires. The black/orange go to
J125 on driver board (linked to Q38 transistor, which the transistor and all components linked with q38 test good and have continutiy) and i believe the red wires go to J107. I have continuity from the playfield lights to the driver board for all wires mentioned.

according to the schematic i should have 20 volts ac going to the red wires at j107.

Coming out the transformer , if im reading schematics correctly, the power is coming from the two white wires with red stripe. When i test these two wires i get 17 volts ac at the first molex connector right after the transformer.

At j107 i am not getting any voltage, which in turn gives me no flashes. For example I have zero voltage at light socket for the eye on mini playfield.

Any ideas what to look at as to why no voltage is making it to the driver board? I have not yet tested continuity from the whire/red stripe wires from transformer to the two red wires at j107. I will do that tomorrow, but i wanted to throw my question out there now.

Any help/insight will be geeatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 4 months ago

20 volts on the 20 volt test point on the driver board ? Fuse blown ? Bulbs good ?

I'd check the simple stuff first.

LTG : )

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

20 volts on the 20 volt test point on the driver board ? Fuse blown ? Bulbs good ?

All fuses r good...bulbs are good. ..the schemstic says j107 should be at 20volts ac....i have zero at connector j107 (two red wires). Flashers arent working because the voltage for the flashers isnt making to the board.

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

according to the schematic i should have 20 volts ac going to the red wires at j107

This is DC voltage not AC voltage. If you checked this with your DMM set to AC it would have given you a zero reading. Recheck on DC.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is DC voltage not AC voltage. If you checked this with your DMM set to AC it would have given you a zero reading. Recheck on DC.

So u r saying the 2 red wires at j107 on the driver board are dc voltage and not ac?

#6 4 months ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

So u r saying the 2 red wires at j107 on the driver board are dc voltage and not ac?

107 is DC voltage. Follow Grumpys advice. Then trace back from 107 unless you find voltage then check continuity from 107 to the first flasher.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I did not notice the test points. Just tested all of them and they are all good..TP 7 should be 20 dcv and ita clocking in at 22 dcv.

#8 4 months ago

Do you have power at the flashers?

#9 4 months ago

I put it in switch test and all the flashers, but one, works. The one over upper right flipper is not working. I think because the led is not making good contaact in the holder. It is very loose. Ive put it in in both directions and twisted and cant get it to flash. I put a flasher led in it from a different flasher in the game and couldnt get that one to work either so it has to be the holder. The wires to the holder are not broken.

And to back up a little, what led me into looking into the flashers was i expected to see them flash when the game is in attract mode with all the lights flickering off and on. Im guessing the flashers dont do that while the game is in attract.

Basically a combination of not being familiar with the game and my personal inexperience.

Sorry to waste anyones time if they felt like i did.

Thanks everyone for the education.

#10 4 months ago

Easy fix!

You may have a bad drive transistor on that flasher. Read up on this stuff on pinwiki before attempting to track that down.

#11 4 months ago

Make sure that the red power wire is on the center terminal of the socket. Some led bulbs are polarity sensitive.

#12 4 months ago

I have fixed this issue. Come to find out it was the lamp socket. The flasher bulb was loose in the socket so i pryed all 4 socket legs inward to give the bulb more bite when i stalled and it lit right up.

Basically: faulty connection in lamp holder.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, WI
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 234.99
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
8,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
8,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasanton, CA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
PinSound
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 10.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside