CF9E9827-C0D0-4E5F-A4D5-713B84DBE89B (resized).jpeg
PXL_20210126_220431661 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210126_220155395 (resized).jpg
IMG_4112 (resized).jpg
IMG_4111 (resized).jpg
IMG_4106 (resized).jpg
IMG_4101 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have very strange issue with my Twilight zone. For some yet to be determined reason, the very first metal ball to go past the eddy sensor in the underneath subway is not regestering. The board lights up the red led but the game does not register it. I have been able to repeat this test 100 %, when I go into switch edge testing drop balls from the gum ball exit, the first metal ball does not activate #57, and every ball after that does except of course the powerball. I've tried a different set of balls, same result. This of course incorrectly activates powerball mode in the game. The trought sensor work perfectly but the subway sensor, while detecting the metal ball, does not register in the game (first metal ball only). Never seen anything quite like it. Maybe someone with more experience can shed some light for me. Thanks in advance. Been working on this for days (even cleaned the board, the subway, etc, to no avail. Could it be a setting in the software that is wrong?

Thank you.

#2 5 years ago

I don't remember...is there a switch between the gumball exit and the proximity sensor?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from bmwdriver:

Could it be a setting in the software that is wrong?
Thank you.

Page 1-37 in your manual (45 of the .pdf)
A.2 26 No Powerball
In case there is no white powerball to use in the game, set this adjustment to "YES". The game
will simulate the powerball with every 2nd ball delivered from the gumball machine.
This may also be useful in the case of a defective steel ball sensor (there are two, one located
by the ball shooter kickout, and one located by the slot machine kicker).
If one of these sensors is defective, you may remove the white powerball from the game
(replace it with a steel pinball such that there are still 6 balls in the game), and set this adjustment
to "YES".
Settings: YES
NO
Factory Default: NO

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Page 1-37 in your manual (45 of the .pdf)
A.2 26 No Powerball
In case there is no white powerball to use in the game, set this adjustment to "YES". The game
will simulate the powerball with every 2nd ball delivered from the gumball machine.
This may also be useful in the case of a defective steel ball sensor (there are two, one located
by the ball shooter kickout, and one located by the slot machine kicker).
If one of these sensors is defective, you may remove the white powerball from the game
(replace it with a steel pinball such that there are still 6 balls in the game), and set this adjustment
to "YES".
Settings: YES
NO
Factory Default: NO

Thanks, there is a powerball and the setting is set to NO. I assume you are referring to the eddy sensor under the subway A-16535 slot proximity?? I know the ball trough sensor works correctly when the powerball is dispensed, but the slot proximity one while the led lights up with a metal ball, it does not register in the game (only the first steel ball that passes it in the game), then it registers correctly.

#5 5 years ago

If the LED is lighting up, but the game does not see the switch activate (i.e. In switch test, roll a ball into the piano), then you have a wiring issue, or a bad chip on the prox board.

You will need to do tests to check operation. Likely, a wire got pulled out of the connector to the Prox board.

The referred to setting is meant to tell the game that you do NOT have a powerball installed - in your case, it won't help here, just mas the issue.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for that, that's the maddening part about this. Ok, so here is the sequence. I put the machine into switch edge test mode. I am holding three metal balls. I drop the balls into the piano one at a time, here is what registers.

Ball 1 - Switch #43, Switch #58
Ball 2 - Switch #43, Switch #57
Ball 3 - Switch #43, Switch #57

As you see, switch 57 does not register on the first ball, and that's the one that falsely triggers the powerball mode as it is not registering in the game, but the eddy board does detect it. I have video of if from underneath the game board. I assume switch #58 is not detected in subsequent balls as perhaps the first ball is in the way during the test mode.

This is 100% reproduceable. When I first start switch test mode, the first metal ball does not register in the game. During game play, the first metal ball that goes into the piano or is dispensed from the gumball triggers a powerball mode as the board led lights and the game does not register it. If a wire is bad or got pulled, would it not fail on every single metal ball, every time. This really has me stumped.

I have the videos to show this in action just not sure if this board accepts videos?

Any other ideas? If the prox board is doing its thing, then what next to check. Arggggg....

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from bmwdriver:

I have the videos to show this in action just not sure if this board accepts videos?

You can link to a YouTube video.
Have you done a factory reset to rule out some weird software setting?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from bmwdriver:

This is 100% reproduceable.

How do you cause it to happen again?
Turn game off, then back on?
Take all three balls out of slot machine?
Exit and re-enter switch test?
Is it the *same* pinball ball or do you mix them up?

If #2, what happens when you drop a 4th ball down there? (And yes, you are correct on the #58 switch; that's expected in this case.)

#9 5 years ago

Yes game off and back on, or exit switch test and enter switch test again. It is NOT the same pinball each time. I even took balls from another game, same result. 4th ball, same as ball 2 and 3, switch 57 IS detected and registered.

here are the youtube links

#10 5 years ago

Okay, go into T.3 Single Switch Test, and isolate #57.
Do the test and let me know how it acts on the three balls.

It's SOUNDING like it's still a board issue, but..

Edit to add: Running standard WPC hardware? Any boards been replaced?

#11 5 years ago

Thanks, did single switch test #57, dropped three steel balls into the piano. Same result, ball one not recognized, balls 2 and three momentarily "closed" flashed.

Also I did a factory reset as was suggested and that did not correct it either.

If it is a board, which board? The the proximity board attached to the subway underneath? If so where does one find it as NO ONE has it available.

I am absolutely stumped.

#12 5 years ago

Which software version are you running?

#13 5 years ago

9.2 but it had been working fine for years

#14 5 years ago

Which board in the backpanel controls that function? Maybe reseating all the cables would help not sure which board however.

#15 5 years ago

I was asking about the boards in the backbox - i.e. Are you running RottenDog boards, PinLED boards, etc.

Since the Prox board is on the same switch column as the slot kickout, trey this test - roll one ball down, watch it not activate. Then remove the ball from the slot machine kickout - without exiting test mode - and then roll ball #2 down.
If ball #2 is also not detected, then you likely have a loose column (green-black) wire aroudn the slot switch. If ball #2 is still detected, then.. it looks like the board may be bad.

If a board is bad, though, it'd likely be the prox board. Likely, U2 the optoisolator.

If you can't find a replacement, then you will need to do more work..
Get a logic probe, and watch the signals on the anode side of D2. It should strobe when the red LED is on. If it is not, that means that the optoisolator is bad. Replace it, D2, D1, and C4, just to be safe.

#16 5 years ago

You are definitely on to something, so when I did that, ball two is also not detected. I can also simulate this underneath the game, I hold a steel ball near the prox board, lights up and does not register, however, when I pull down the slot switch and do the same it does register. So yes, unless the switch is down, it will not register, so I am now looking for that wire.

#17 5 years ago

Here's a pic of the underside of that kickout switch, I've reseated the connector, everything appears to be tight. There are two green black wires coming out of it. Nothing changed. The switch definitely registers when pulling the lever and when checking in test mode it sees it as open until I trip the switch. So I think??? the switch is ok. Still no glory....

IMG_4101 (resized).jpgIMG_4101 (resized).jpg
#18 5 years ago

only replacement board was for the clock and that was a long time ago.
Also noticed that the manual refers to J206 on cpu board for that switch column. Nothing was plugged into j206 rather it was plugged into J207 which is not referred to anywhere in the manual so I moved it to J206 but that did not fix the problem either.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from bmwdriver:

Here's a pic of the underside of that kickout switch, I've reseated the connector, everything appears to be tight. There are two green black wires coming out of it. Nothing changed. The switch definitely registers when pulling the lever and when checking in test mode it sees it as open until I trip the switch. So I think??? the switch is ok. Still no glory....
[quoted image]

Okay, so that means it's related - likely, the pink terminal there (grn/blk wires) is loose, wires pulled out slightly, etc. Try reseating it. If no good, pull the wires and solder them directly to the switch, or get a new blade socket to crimp on.

Quoted from bmwdriver:

only replacement board was for the clock and that was a long time ago.
Also noticed that the manual refers to J206 on cpu board for that switch column. Nothing was plugged into j206 rather it was plugged into J207 which is not referred to anywhere in the manual so I moved it to J206 but that did not fix the problem either.

J206 & J207 are mirrored - pinouts are identical, so you're good.

#20 5 years ago

Thanks for your excellent suggestions. I have soldered the wires to the switch, nice and clean and shiny solder joint. No glory, same issue.

#21 5 years ago

Its so awesome there are so many helpful people on this platform....

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its so awesome there are so many helpful people on this platform....

Yes, so grateful for the help, hope someday I can pay it forward. Learning plenty even though I've been at it for a while, haven't had to fix a whole of stuff. Hopefully I can get my TZ back to its glorious fun and fully working state.

#23 5 years ago

During game play not sure if something changed here, but every steel ball in piano triggers powerball. Which would make sense if the kickout switch needs to be closed for the board to register the ball which of course it would not since there is no ball in the slot machine trough when it passes through. So the mystery still is why does the kickout switch 58 have to be closed before the proximity board registers a steel ball passing by? It senses it but does not register it in the game unless switch 58 is closed.

#24 5 years ago

I wonder are CPU boards interchangeable between games, and just swap the rom chips? Trying to rule that out also. I have a STTNG as well as an Indiana Jones Pinball adventure machine, or is that not likely to yield any results??

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from bmwdriver:

I wonder are CPU boards interchangeable between games, and just swap the rom chips? Trying to rule that out also. I have a STTNG as well as an Indiana Jones Pinball adventure machine, or is that not likely to yield any results??

Unlikely this will cause any change. You can TRY it, but be prepared for failure.
It makes no sense off-hand.

Try this - I'm curious. Force-close one of the other switches on the playfuel, like the 'Gumball Exit' switch. (Visible from the top of the playfield, just past the exit of the gumball machine.) Do NOT close the slot kickout switch, and see if a ball on the prox switch registers.

#26 5 years ago

ok, while holding down the gumball exit switch, and yes, it registered when I fed a ball into the piano.

#27 5 years ago

also fed a second ball and it too registered of course now switch 58 is activated as well.

#28 5 years ago

Okay - switch CPU boards. Transfer ROMs over.

Likely the issue will go away. It seems like the Prox board can't lower the voltage enough alone to cause the LM339 to flip. But when the column is already held down by another switch, it can.

#29 5 years ago

You are correct, it was indeed the CPU board, problem went away when I swapped boards. So, the board I swapped with had a set of dip switches on it, the original board does not, do I need to worry about them, half are up and half are down. Just for kicks I put the original CPU board back in thinking that maybe we had a case of Chip creep. Not so, the problem returned. So I guess I need to find a replacement CPU board. Don't really want to put it in my Star Trek machine as who knows what issues will be created there.

#30 5 years ago

Or can the board be repaired? I did discover upon removal of the board that I also had a leaky battery, could that have caused this issue on the board. See photo.

IMG_4106 (resized).jpgIMG_4106 (resized).jpg
#31 5 years ago

tried cleaning off the leakage with a qtip and baking soda solution (board removed). It cleaned up nicely but that did not restore functionality.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from bmwdriver:

tried cleaning off the leakage with a qtip and baking soda solution (board removed). It cleaned up nicely but that did not restore functionality.

Baking soda does nothing to neutralize or remediate alkaline damage. You need a mild acid.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-repairing-alkaline-battery-damage

Sounds like you have an aftermarket board. I don't see any dip switches on the Rottendog, does yours look like this one? http://www.rottendog.us/MPU089.html

#33 5 years ago

Nope, battery holder is soldered to board on both the bad one and the one with the dip switches which came out of Star Trek machine and worked in Twilight Zone. See photos

IMG_4111 (resized).jpgIMG_4111 (resized).jpgIMG_4112 (resized).jpgIMG_4112 (resized).jpg
#34 5 years ago

I'll let others take care of the battery damage, but yeah - that is likely your issue there. Glad you at least found the issue!

#35 5 years ago

Thanks for all the help.

#36 5 years ago

If you're considering sending the board out for remediation you should consider ChrisHibler He is one of the best.

#37 5 years ago

and for gods sake get those batteries off the PC board

#38 5 years ago

Yes, I learned the hard way! Thanks again!!

2 years later
#39 3 years ago

I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I'm out of ideas.
I am having similar powerball/nonpowerball issues as BMW had above. The only difference is that I have replaced my mpu board to no avail.
The game is crazy, after replacing the board, it will play normally (no powerball confusion) for a bit, then start malfunctioning as before regardless of the mpu board (have tried original, new board, even a third)...same result, so it can't be battery corrosion on the mpu.
I have tried different roms, no joy.
I have replaced both eddy sensors, no joy.
I have replaced the small board which both eddy sensor boards connect to, no joy.
I have messed with the eddy board wires, no joy.

I guess I'll try soldering the wires directly as mentioned above, but I am unsure if you guys are talking about the connectors on the eddy board or on the slot kickout switch? Which? Or all of them?

Someone please help!! Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
This game is mint. Literally never played home game, one owner. I got really lucky in finding it. Paid a fair price for it, but it's like brand new. Unbelievable!
Other than the clock being finicky, this is it's only issue.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from JDelzer:

I guess I'll try soldering the wires directly as mentioned above

Assuming the game is not going into 'fake' powerball mode ('POWERBALL' screen black inversed when animation plays), then I would do this first, before wasting all the money and time switching out all the boards.

The wires to solder is the short, 2-wire cable between the trough prox board and the trough prox sensor.
Also make sure the sensor board is mounted correctly.

#41 3 years ago

Thanks Coyote for helping in advance. I'm at my wit's end! This, I believe to be the first issue. See first pic. Keep in mind this prox board is brand new. Why is the light on all the time? Shouldn't it only light when a ball goes through it? And notice when the old prox board is plugged in, it is not lit? (2nd pic).
Answering your above post, it goes into powerball mode wrongly, but it doesn't do the black screen inversion when animation plays, to my knowledge. It just goes into the mode incorrectly, and powermania
incorrectly.
It is not a setting, that has been checked and it's not an mpu issue, as three have been tried with same results.
My slot switch wires are already soldered, apparently from the factory.
I want to perform the two tests you mentioned above to BMW.
Your thoughts? Please help.

PXL_20210126_220155395 (resized).jpgPXL_20210126_220155395 (resized).jpgPXL_20210126_220431661 (resized).jpgPXL_20210126_220431661 (resized).jpg
#42 3 years ago

I just did the two tests you mentioned above to BMW. The slot prox is functioning normal (and so is the slot kickout switch) with reference to steel vs ceramic balls. But then I turned her on to play and the first ball out of the gumball was the ceramic and the it didn't proc powerball? WTH?

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from JDelzer:

Shouldn't it only light when a ball goes through it?

Can't answer that, as it depends on the person/company that makes the board. They could have designed it so the LED is backwards/reversed or always on or flashes to a tune of the Nation Anthem for all we know. So, can't go on that.

Quoted from JDelzer:

The slot prox is functioning normal (and so is the slot kickout switch) with reference to steel vs ceramic balls. But then I turned her on to play and the first ball out of the gumball was the ceramic and the it didn't proc powerball?

This then means there is a flaw in your testing. Put it in Single Switch mode, select switch 57. It should NOT be Active. Then drop a normal ball into the trough in front of the gumball machine. You should hear a 'beep' from the game as the ball passes. Do the same for the powerball, you should NOT hear a 'beep' from the game.

Since you are using a 3rd party board, too, and that board looks to have an adjustment dial on it, did you properly adjust the dial before installing the board?

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

This then means there is a flaw in your testing. Put it in Single Switch mode, select switch 57. It should NOT be Active. Then drop a normal ball into the trough in front of the gumball machine. You should hear a 'beep' from the game as the ball passes. Do the same for the powerball, you should NOT hear a 'beep' from the game.

This test done, confirmed. Works. Then playing the game, temp working fine...fingers crossed. 2nd game, metal ball sent up right sling to gumball, "powerball", and powerball mania starts. WTF. Thing is possessed.

Quoted from Coyote:

Since you are using a 3rd party board, too, and that board looks to have an adjustment dial on it, did you properly adjust the dial before installing the board?

I put the original back in, so this should not matter.

I will now try to solder the 2 wire connection from the trough eddy sensor and board as you suggested. I don't understand how this would be the reason for the gumball false positive powerball above, or the subsequent no detection on the slot eddy of the powerball? The optos work on the sling on the way to the gumball as well, verified...

1 year later
#45 1 year ago

So my PF hasn’t been placed in the cabinet yep because I’m testing everything after a restore. Seems like everything is working now. I’m new to TZ gameplay. How do I test the Powerball sensors are working correctly…

CF9E9827-C0D0-4E5F-A4D5-713B84DBE89B (resized).jpegCF9E9827-C0D0-4E5F-A4D5-713B84DBE89B (resized).jpeg
#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

How do I test the Powerball sensors are working correctly

Switch test, with a ball. The sensors respond to the metal ball, they don't respond to the ceramic ball.

The sensor coil at the ball trough should not be touching the ball, the impact will destroy the coil on the sensor board!

For the sensors with an eddy sensor board that has an adjustment pot, the LED should be off, adjust the pot until it is on, then back it off until the LED is off. Then the presence of a metal ball will cause the LED to be on.

#47 1 year ago

Switch test, with a ball. The sensors respond to the metal ball, they don't respond to the ceramic ball.
The sensor coil at the ball trough should not be touching the ball, the impact will destroy the coil on the sensor board!
For the sensors with an eddy sensor board that has an adjustment pot, the LED should be off, adjust the pot until it is on, then back it off until the LED is off. Then the presence of a metal ball will cause the LED to be on.</bl
Thanks, the LED's is working as they should with a metal and white ball. I guess everything is good to go. Thanks for the straight forward explanation.

1 year later
#48 29 days ago

Hi TZ lovers!

So, my TZ happens to magnetize my standard steel balls every 30-50 games.

So ofc I considered buying carbon “non-magnetized” balls to make sure all goes well and that i don't have to replace magnetized balls every other month..

ONLY PROBLEM here is that for some odd reasons the subway eddy sensor almost EVERY time does not register the carbon ball and call for Powerball.. this is so annoying.

If i replace all 5 carbons by 5 steels, all fine with the subway sensor.
And then tonight i tried to put in another set of 5 brand new carbon “non magnetized” balls and same issue: subway sensor doesn't register and calls Powerball….

I then immediately replaced them with 5 new standard steels and it works like a charm again…
… but ofc in a few game those will be magnetized and i’ll have to buy new ones once again.

What could be wrong do you reckon?
- faulty subway sensor board?
- poor quality carbon “anti-magnetized” balls?
- my game just happens to have taken a detour, in the Twilight Zone?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-metal-ball-detected-as-powerball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.