You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3500 (resized).jpg
IMG_3502 (resized).jpg
IMG_3499 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I was playing my twilight zone yesterday and after a few minutes of play I saw smoke coming up under my jet bumpers. I quickly turned the machine off thinking I might have a stuck coil. When I pulled up the playfield I was overwhelmed by some very toxic smelling smoke. I then unplugged the machine and opened up some windows to clear the smoke. Something was causing my 13VAC to short and for some reason no fuses blew. If there is a good side to this one, it was that I was playing the machine and acted fast, if a guest was playing or if this short had happened when no one was in my game room the results could have been catastrophic.

I opened up the machine thinking that it must be mis-fused somewhere. I checked everything including the main power fuse in the cabinet. Only one incorrect fuse was found, there was an 8amp fuse in F115 when there should have been a 3/4 amp fuse there. F115 is labeled as the switch matrix fuse.

The machine uses a rottendog CPU and power driver boards, has a pinsound sound card and a color DMD.

The blue and white wires from the transformer to J101 on the rottendog driver board are melted. I'm afraid my transformer might have also been damaged as the melting also damaged the wire from the exterior of the transformer to the plug between the transformer and the main harness to the backbox.

I've got some repair work to do, and will need to hunt down some parts. My biggest concern is what could have caused this and why didn't a fuse blow? F115 is labeled as a fuse for the switch matrix. Could it be the fuse that should have blown when this happened?

Anybody have any experience with this? Before getting my zone up and working again I want to make sure this can't happen again. And.... I will take very seriously the recommendation that anytime you get a new pin, to verify all the fuses.

I'm also putting a fire extinguisher in my game room.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Allen

IMG_3499 (resized).jpgIMG_3499 (resized).jpgIMG_3500 (resized).jpgIMG_3500 (resized).jpgIMG_3502 (resized).jpgIMG_3502 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

why didn't a fuse blow? F115 is labeled as a fuse for the switch matrix.

Higher amp fuse than should be in there burned up other stuff caused by what ever went wrong.

Always a good idea to check fuses in a new to you game to be sure they are the correct fuse for the spot.

Hopefully there wasn't an issue and someone kept putting in higher amp fuses until the fuse didn't blow.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Higher amp fuse than should be in there burned up other stuff caused by what ever went wrong.
Always a good idea to check fuses in a new to you game to be sure they are the correct fuse for the spot.
Hopefully there wasn't an issue and someone kept putting in higher amp fuses until the fuse didn't blow.
LTG : )

Thanks LTG, Other then smoke coming up from under the playfield, the game appeared to be playing correctly when I powered it down. I'm not sure anything else was damaged. When I searched the forum there was a post that mentioned a similar melted wire that might have been caused by a failure of one the rectifiers.

I'm really hoping I can figure out the root cause of this with a high degree of certainty. Does anybody know which fuse should have blown if the secondary 13VAC power from the transformer shorts?

Allen

#4 5 years ago

Bump...

Wondering if anybody else has had their 13VAC wire in the harness and transformer melt without a fuse blowing?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Bump...
Wondering if anybody else has had their 13VAC wire in the harness and transformer melt without a fuse blowing?

No, but you had a fuse in there which was rated almost 11 TIMES the expected threshold of what the engineers deemed was too much current. The result is expected. This circuit with your incorrect F115 carries out to your digital 12V lines for the lamp circuitry via J114. http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Williams%20WPC%20Schematic%20manual.pdf

Upstream of F115 toward the transformer is Fuse 114 which precedes the bridge rectifier. If that was properly rated and didn't blow, then your transformer is OK.

What does this mean? You obviously need to re-pin (and hopefully have enough clean wire to do so) J101. The circuit runs out through J114 (pins 1 and 2) to the lamp columns. Check there for damage as well. My initial guess is that you have a short somewhere in your lamp circuitry (perhaps a socket touching something, a screw fell against a socket, etc.).

Good luck!

#6 5 years ago

Thanks very much! I was hoping I could reasonably blame the incorrect fuse for the issue. I do indeed have some work to do!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-major-electrical-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.